• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you don't wish to accept the new Steam Subscriber Agreement...

I just searched the Steam EULA thread for the word "banned" and found not a single mention of somebody saying their Steam account has been restricted due to forum activity.

Steam did a great job deleting those. It was obvious when you watched how fast they were deleted and the problem was everywhere.

I love corporate cover ups. :)

King_Moc

Banned
This is why i still buy games at retail. And it's cheaper, usually (well, around launch time, anyway).

Some people will defend Steam no matter what. Just leave them to their delusions.

Steam did a great job deleting those. It was obvious when you watched how fast they were deleted and the problem was everywhere.

If Steam accounts were being banned for SPUF posts, people would be aware of it.

Just like most people (except you apparently) are aware that EA were doing that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

If "the problem was everywhere", I'm sure it can't be hard to dig up at least one claim. My Google-Fu certainly isn't up to the task, but perhaps yours is.

Buddy.

I think you'll find that even the people that think this is a huge issue are going to stop and slowly start walking away from you when you start talking about how Valve is doing black hat hackjobs and furiously deleting threads and forum posts.

Oh, and that Valve is corporate.

You are aware that Valve is an independent company, right?

gdt

Okay, ASIDE from the email that started it all, has anyone ACTUALLY declined the new EULA, and got banned from using their games?

JaseC

Okay, ASIDE from the email that started it all, has anyone ACTUALLY declined the new EULA, and got banned from using their games?

Removing game access when declining the SSA would be pointless since you can't even use Steam without accepting it.

If "the problem was everywhere", I'm sure it can't be hard to dig up at least one claim. My Google-Fu certainly isn't up to the task, but perhaps yours is.

Just go to
Steam EULA (7-31-2012) discussion, all other related threads will be locked/merged

Crap I'm tired. Looks like you were right and I'm not level headed.

They were clearly threatening people who were going to do charge-backs, but then this stuff started happening.

"Going off what's been posted, now it just gets it put into a locked down state, you can play, but can't trade, buy, ect ect. Not sure on if it's true or not. "

So those who agree to the terms and do a charge-back have more privileges in Steam then those that don't agree. I don't get it.

Night, Night.

Just go to
Steam EULA (7-31-2012) discussion, all other related threads will be locked/merged

Yes, that's really threatening. They are locking or merging all related threads. There's nothing common to internet forums about that at all.

Just because something sounds like it backs up your claims, doesn't mean that it does. The worst thing you could possibly do is start linking to things just because they are related to the topic. Don't get so caught up in the chase that you start going out and trying to find new things to hunt.

JaseC

So those who agree to the terms and do a charge-back have more privileges in Steam then those that don't agree. I don't get it.

Yeah, I've mentioned as much before, and, moral standpoint aside, it's the reason why I'm against the SSA being tethered to account access. Given the underlying functionality exists, declining the SSA should result in a restricted account mode until such a time that the user wishes to change his/her mind -- nothing more, nothing less.

Have not been following this story for a while has anyone asked Gabe for comment on this yet?

Someone will. It's too high profile.

But will they answer? They might. I mean, they've publicly stated you will be given your Steam Games if Steam ever gets destroyed.

Teletraan1

Banned
Someone will. It's too high profile.

But will they answer? They might. I mean, they've publicly stated you will be given your Steam Games if Steam ever gets destroyed.

How can they guarantee that. Are the games even theirs to give away? If the games you paid for aren't yours they sure as hell aren't valves unless it is only the valve games they were talking about. Do you have the quote for this?

To my knowledge it's never been outwardly confirmed. Supposedly Gabe posted it on the Steam forums years ago but it's since been deleted; I'm not sure anyone ever saw it firsthand, just a screenshot that floats around.

Even so, if they had implemented a mass DRM-stripping patch years ago, doesn't prove they still plan on using it today or that it would even still work today. It's not even clear if they would have the authority to do it for games not published by them. Valve certainly hasn't made much effort to make it explicit on any support pages or on any customer-facing sites.

JaseC

How can they guarantee that. Are the games even theirs to give away? If the games you paid for aren't yours they sure as hell aren't valves unless it is only the valve games they were talking about. Do you have the quote for this?

The post no longer exists, because:

What some don't seem to realise is that quote was from before Steam began selling third-party titles. I don't doubt that Valve would remove the Steam leash from its games should the company go under, but the matter of the remaining games would be something left up to their respective publishers.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Afaik the whole Steam unlocking thing is a complete urban myth. Nothing has ever been publicly stated afaik. There is no official mention of it anywhere. Seems like wishful thinking from fans at best and deliberate misinformation by Valve to soothe concerns at worst.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Afaik the whole Steam unlocking thing is a complete urban myth. Nothing has ever been publicly stated afaik. There is no official mention of it anywhere. Seems like wishful thinking from fans at best and deliberate misinformation by Valve to soothe concerns at worst.

Which is it? Valve didn't say it, or Valve did say it but they're being sneaky liars?

Game Guru

You know, after checking the topic that GoofsterStar suggested, I see no evidence of people being banned from Steam just because they were banned on the forums. Yes, people are being banned from the forum, but that's probably because they were breaking the forum rules. The only reason why the topic GoofsterStar suggested is relegated to being the only topic is to prevent people peeved at Valve from spamming their forums and instead have an actual discussion on the subject. If they can't log into Steam, that's because they haven't accepted the new Subscriber's Agreement yet.

You know, after checking the topic that GoofsterStar suggested, I see no evidence of people being banned from Steam just because they were banned on the forums. Yes, people are being banned from the forum, but that's probably because they were breaking the forum rules. The only reason why the topic GoofsterStar suggested is relegated to being the only topic is to prevent people peeved at Valve from spamming their forums and instead have an actual discussion on the subject. If they can't log into Steam, that's because they haven't accepted the new Subscriber's Agreement yet.

Don't the Steam forums use a completely separate login?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Remind us about that outrage when they require a minimum amount of purchases or add a monthly subscription fee to access your beloved Steam.

Why would they do that?

It destroys their entire (extremely successful) business model.

Won

Don't the Steam forums use a completely separate login?

They do.

water_wendi said:

Plenty of statements were made before Steam got big. They don't exist anymore for various obvious reasons.

Why would they do that?

It destroys their entire (extremely successful) business model.

Corporate Greed.

It wouldn't be the first time a seemingly consumer friendly company turned into the biggest money grubber.

This is correct. It's pretty much a common or garden Vbulletin forum. GoofsterStar is talking out his/her arse.

Dude I was tired and out of it. I even posted that I was wrong before I went to bed. Why are we still talking about this? I admit my mistakes. I am no coward.

Note: A lot has been removed by Steam moderators sense the incident. It is still possible that I did read it before it was deleted. Even if I did read it on the forums, it looks like that was not the case. I don't see the problem. Steam was in overdrive when this bomb hit and so were the consumers.

Corporate Greed.

It wouldn't be the first time a seemingly consumer friendly company turned into the biggest money grubber.

Your chicken littling hypothetical example about Valve suddenly adding a subscription charge to let you access your games is not only extremely improbable even by playing the "BU-BU-BUT BIG BUSINESS" card, but also illegal under the concepts of estoppel and very likely laches.

XOMTOR

I will admit that I love Steam but this issue does reinforce the notion that going forward, there needs to be more legislation enacted to protect consumers when it comes to "purchasing" digital content. DD is still in its infancy with all mediums but hopefully consumer protection will eventually reach parity with retail. Of course I imagine it'll take some congressman or senator to get burned in order to really get the ball rolling but in the meantime, threads like these can help cast a spotlight on these issues. There does seem to be plenty of pressure/lobbying to enact laws for digital content but it's all coming from the content producers' side and we know where there interests lie.

In the case of Valve, I have faith/hope they'll do the right thing and somehow enable you to decline new TOS agreements but keep access to your back catalog. They already do this for banned accounts do they not?

Derrick01

Banned
Corporate Greed.

You're going off the deep end with that kind of extreme slippery slope argument. There's not 1 shred of evidence that Valve is even thinking about doing something like that so why even bring it up?

You're going off the deep end with that kind of extreme slippery slope argument. There's not 1 shred of evidence that Valve is even thinking about doing something like that so why even bring it up?

The argument isn't that they are doing it. The argument is that they could. That is the whole reason people are bent out of shape in the first place. The holding your games hostage card has been played. There is no way to remove the impression.

Corporate Greed.

Dude I was tired and out of it. I even posted that I was wrong before I went to bed. Why are we still talking about this? I admit my mistakes. I am no coward.

Note: A lot has been removed by Steam moderators sense the incident. It is still possible that I did read it before it was deleted. Even if I did read it on the forums, it looks like that was not the case. I don't see the problem. Steam was in overdrive when this bomb hit and so were the consumers.

Its not been the only wrong thing you've said. You take WaterWendi's anti Valve and Steam attitude to the extreme which is a feat in of itself. Congrats Wendi, you've lost your #1 anti Valve koo koo card.

Shiggy

There wasn't any indication of EA installing spyware on your PC either. It's all about the money. Who knows what will happen to Valve in 10 years?

If you don't want to add anything to this topic, get out of here.
The point is relevant when you bring up a 10 year possibility. You still live your life without knowing what tomorrow brings. I am not going to live my life worrying about Valve turning evil in a decade. Sorry.

Derrick01

Banned
There wasn't any indication of EA installing spyware on your PC either. It's all about the money. Who knows what will happen to Valve in 10 years?

Who knows indeed. So why waste time worrying about what might not (probably not in all likelihood) happen to the point where you boycott the best thing going for PC gamers right now?

Who knows indeed. So why waste time worrying about what might not (probably not in all likelihood) happen to the point where you boycott the best thing going for PC gamers right now?

Except we are boycotting the fact Steam can/will hold your previous purchases random card has been played. I really don't trust a company that goes back on previous statements and pulls a card no other company has dared to hold previously purchased content as leverage to get you to do what they want.

Reality is harsh. This isn't the same Steam we want to remember.

There is no reason to say Steam is consumer friendly anymore. If they truly were a consumer friendly company, this would have been fixed a long time ago. People would be playing there previously purchased games on a restricted client just like every other DD service. That is not the case. Steam has not fixed the issue.

Except we are boycotting the fact that the hold your previous purchases random card has been played. I really don't trust a company that goes back on previous statements and pulls a card no other company has dared to do.

Reality is harsh. This isn't the same Steam we want to remember.

Lol. Want to remember? How long have you been using Steam?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Too much centralized control for my taste. Especially when you consider that the "generation" will never end. In console or hardware cycles there is a reset period. This doesnt occur with Steam.

Derrick01

Banned
Why would a Monopoly be the best thing for any industry?

I am just wasting my time at this point.

Steam has basically been a monopoly (as close as any 1 company will get in this industry) for the last few years and all they've done is add more and more optional but neat features, continued to have massive sale events, and added more and more steamworks games that allow flexibility to the customer and they also don't make any money when steamworks games are bought off other stores. The competition has had plenty of time to play catch up or better yet innovate themselves, and they've failed to do anything. Steam, despite being #1 by far, has been doing all of the innovating despite being #1 for so long. To suggest maybe things will change one day, while a possibility (as is anything), it has no logical or factual basis right this second.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Steam has basically been a monopoly (as close as any 1 company will get in this industry) for the last few years and all they've done is add more and more optional but neat features, continued to have massive sale events, and added more and more steamworks games that allow flexibility to the customer and they also don't make any money when steamworks games are bought off other stores. The competition has had plenty of time to play catch up or better yet innovate themselves, and they've failed to do anything. Steam, despite being #1 by far, has been doing all of the innovating despite being #1 for so long. To suggest maybe things will change one day, while a possibility (as is anything), it has no logical or factual basis right this second.

Well, it has a basis in uh... an awful lot of monopolies in other industries, which started out in the exact same way that Steam did.

Game Guru

Why would a Monopoly be the best thing for any industry?

I am just wasting my time at this point.

Steam isn't exactly a monopoly. There just has not yet been any other service for PC games that comes close to being as good as Steam with or without DRM. Origin, GFWL, and UPlay each have bigger problems as services when compared to Steam, which does have their problems as well. GOG and Desura may be well liked, but both also cater primarily to a specific niche, classic games and indie games respectfully.

What I want to see is a Sega to Steam's Nintendo... A PlayStation 3 to Steam's 360... I want to see a company willing to just challenge Steam head-on and match it feature to feature. I want to see a service that will motivate Valve to have to improve themselves.

Top Bottom