• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you have an LG OLED, I don't understand how you can prefer Performance mode over Fidelity mode on these PS5 games

TonyK

That looked rough, I bet it's even worse in person with a higher resolution and screen size. I'm gonna download Alien again and test the same scene on my X900F on the weekend.

I read the Youtube comments and one user said they had the same issue and they changed 4K transfer to -1 on their PS5. I wonder what that changes.

I googled this and this is what came up on Sony's official site: 4K Video Transfer Rate
Adjust the transfer rate for 4K resolution video. If you experience flickering on your screen, try selecting -1 or -2 to limit transfer speed, and possibly improve picture quality.

EDIT: Seems like the transfer rate changes chroma subsampling. Not sure how it would help with motion.
I don't understand what type of stuttering are you referring. I think you are speaking about the typical choppiness of 30fps but is not the same as stuttering. I purchased a LG CX, my first oled, three weeks ago and played several 30fps games from PS4 and PS5 (Yakuza, God of War, The Last of Us 2, Miles Morales, etc) and all run totally smooth, apart from, as I said, the typical choppiness of 30 fps compared with 60. But you can have stuttering at 60fps. In fact, as a PC gamer also, I noticed stuttering more usually at 60fps than 30, because it's more difficult to maintain stable 60 than 30.

I come from a Sony LCD and I didn't notice any difference when panning the camera in a 30fps game, believe me.

Self

I come from a Sony LCD and I didn't notice any difference when panning the camera in a 30fps game, believe me.
He can trust his own eyes, he doesn't need to believe you.

He is more sensitive to Oled-stutter than you are. Some people notice it, some don't. That's really all there is to say.

It's like people complaining about coil whine, while I don't notice it at all. But it doesn't mean the phenomenon isn't there.

bargeparty

I don't understand what type of stuttering are you referring. I think you are speaking about the typical choppiness of 30fps but is not the same as stuttering. I purchased a LG CX, my first oled, three weeks ago and played several 30fps games from PS4 and PS5 (Yakuza, God of War, The Last of Us 2, Miles Morales, etc) and all run totally smooth, apart from, as I said, the typical choppiness of 30 fps compared with 60. But you can have stuttering at 60fps. In fact, as a PC gamer also, I noticed stuttering more usually at 60fps than 30, because it's more difficult to maintain stable 60 than 30.

That video is fucking terrible to judge anything from.

I remember back when I played Alien Isolation it had very bad stuttering in cutscenes and I don't recall if it was fixed. It may have had other issues as well and this video should be used for nothing at all.

TonyK

He can trust his own eyes, he doesn't need to believe you.

He is more sensitive to Oled-stutter than you are. Some people notice it, some don't. That's really all there is to say.

It's like people complaining about coil whine, while I don't notice it at all. But it doesn't mean the phenomenon isn't there.
I'm super sensitive to stuttering, it's because that I'm asking him. I think what he calls stuttering is maybe juddering? I think he is using the wrong term and then people will say "oled has no stuttering in 30fps" and that's true, but he will still notice it because I think he is referring to judder, the same effect you see when in a film the camera pans and the 24fps of the movie and the hz of the TV don't match.

Said this, I didn't notice more juddering playing in oled than LCD. And for sure there is no added stuttering because that it's another thing related to an inconsistent framerate or a consistent framerate but that doesn't match the TV Hz, for example, a game with a totally constant and perfect 55fps in a 60Hz TV has stuttering.

TrebleShot

If your TV is over 50" you will notice a big difference between fidelity and performance modes.

Even though higher frame rates are ideal and look buttery smooth the lack of detail and depth becomes distracting you have to make a conscious choice.

Amaranty

I'm super sensitive to stuttering, it's because that I'm asking him. I think what he calls stuttering is maybe juddering? I think he is using the wrong term and then people will say "oled has no stuttering in 30fps" and that's true, but he will still notice it because I think he is referring to judder, the same effect you see when in a film the camera pans and the 24fps of the movie and the hz of the TV don't match.

Said this, I didn't notice more juddering playing in oled than LCD. And for sure there is no added stuttering because that it's another thing related to an inconsistent framerate or a consistent framerate but that doesn't match the TV Hz, for example, a game with a totally constant and perfect 55fps in a 60Hz TV has stuttering.
I know the difference between judder and stutter. I'll refer to Rtings.com article about stutter: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/stutter

Self

People mean stutter when referring to Oleds, not judder.

"Stutter shouldn't be confused with judder, which is a result of an inconsistent frame rate. Stutter is a result of low frame rate, but consistent frame timing.

When compared to LCD TVs, OLED TVs are much more likely to suffer from noticeable stutter due to their almost instantaneous response time."

TonyK

I know the difference between judder and stutter. I'll refer to Rtings.com article about stutter: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/stutter
Then I was using the terms in the opposite way. The thing is, I'm really sensitive to stutter. I play on PC and I rather prefer to cap a game to 30 fps to avoid stuttering than play at almost 60fps but inconsistent. That's what usually people call stuttering in videogames. When you pan the camera and the movement is not perfectly smooth.

Again, even if I'm very sensitive to that, I didn't notice it when playing on a LG CX. Just right now I'm paning the camera in Demons Souls in cinematic mode (30fps) and it's perfectly smooth, consistent. But I can understand that it can't be enough smooth for you.

Last edited:

Xtib81

The fuck am I Reading OP? 30fps on Oled is horrible. So for me, I'll always favor 60fps over 30fps. If you don't notice stutter, good for you and I'd recommend not to look for it cuz' once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Last edited:
Can't stand 30fps. I have a hard time accepting 60fps locked unless it's an RPG. Maybe next gen the marketing gimmick will be 240hz so they can sell more TVs. In the meantime consoles can go kick rocks.

bargeparty

Then I was using the terms in the opposite way. The thing is, I'm really sensitive to stutter. I play on PC and I rather prefer to cap a game to 30 fps to avoid stuttering than play at almost 60fps but inconsistent. That's what usually people call stuttering in videogames. When you pan the camera and the movement is not perfectly smooth.

Again, even if I'm very sensitive to that, I didn't notice it when playing on a LG CX. Just right now I'm paning the camera in Demons Souls in cinematic mode (30fps) and it's perfectly smooth, consistent. But I can understand that it can't be enough smooth for you.

Put Demon's Souls in performance mode, there's basically no difference and 60fps makes all the difference.

I have a LG OLED and everytime I have the option I choose 60 fps.

Playing RAGE 2 on PS5 is awesome because it's so smooth.
I just wish they would update the resolution even to 1440p because the picture quality is quite muddy. But still I would choose the current option over 4k30fps.

I really want to experience Miles Morales' RT/1440p/60fps option.
Gotta love Insomniac for giving us options ❤

Last edited:

TonyK

Put Demon's Souls in performance mode, there's basically no difference and 60fps makes all the difference.
I completed the game in performance mode. But I'm doing the second playthrough in cinematic because there is really a difference in graphic quality between both modes. There are changes beyond resolution, as in Spiderman. The texture work is insane in cinematic. Better displacement mapping + better AO + the bump in resolution makes any surface incredible detailed. In a 65" TV difference is easily appreciable, at least for me. However... 30fps, you know :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Self

Again, even if I'm very sensitive to that, I didn't notice it when playing on a LG CX. Just right now I'm paning the camera in Demons Souls in cinematic mode (30fps) and it's perfectly smooth, consistent.

Demon Souls and Spiderman are examples where it isn't too obvious. Also in TLoU2 I can't notice the stutter. It depends on the use of motion blur. When done right, you won't notice stutter.

But take TLG, Prey or Driveclub (all locked 30 FPS on PS5) and you may notice it. I never noticed it on my LCD because of the inherent blur.

Nevertheless, instant response time on Oled has mayor advantages over LCD. Less blur, ghosting, trails etc.

x@3f*oo_e!

RTings is full of shit. That's not what stutter means.

Also lol at the self proclaimed experts telling us 'stutter' and 'judder' are different things, like they own the english language

It's like the gif guy all over again.

DanEON

I am a PC gamer mostly, and I play at 0.90-1.00m from the TV (55" Oled C9), and for that distance I really need 4k resolution. I got my PS5 this week, and while playing Demon's Souls in Performance mode, all I needed to do was just to recline my chair, move it to 1.6m from the TV, because I needed it anyway to stretch my legs, and the image quality was great, the difference between Quality and Performance was minimal.
So, for console gaming, 4k is not a must, since most people dont play at a distance from the TV that 4k is needed. According to rtings.com, the optimal distance for 4k at 55" is 0.98m.
TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science - RTINGS.com

Amaranty

RTings is full of shit. That's not what stutter means.

Also lol at the self proclaimed experts telling us 'stutter' and 'judder' are different things, like they own the english language

It's like the gif guy all over again.
I've seen other professionals use the term judder and stutter in the same manner, for example Vincent from HDTVTest.

SSfox

Because you play games, not watch them.
images

carsar

I purchased a LG CX, my first oled, three weeks ago and played several 30fps games from PS4 and PS5 (Yakuza, God of War, The Last of Us 2, Miles Morales, etc) and all run totally smooth, apart from, as I said, the typical choppiness of 30 fps compared with 60.
Camera motion blur is impotant effect, if you play 30fps games on oled screen.
Strobbing(or judder) won't be so noticeable with MB.

I prefer fidelity mode but that's because I generally play single player rpg/jrpgs. I can see people who play multiplayer competitive games wanting to use performance mode instead.

bargeparty

I completed the game in performance mode. But I'm doing the second playthrough in cinematic because there is really a difference in graphic quality between both modes. There are changes beyond resolution, as in Spiderman. The texture work is insane in cinematic. Better displacement mapping + better AO + the bump in resolution makes any surface incredible detailed. In a 65" TV difference is easily appreciable, at least for me. However... 30fps, you know :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Hmm. Before I started I looked for comparisons and didn't find anything saying there was a big difference, just a more dynamic resolution.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Has anyone tried fidelity mode with motion smoothing on? I know it adds lag, but some modern TVs, especially the Samsungs have low lag motion smoothing options.

Genx3

People prefer different things.
Some rather have gorgeous visuals while others rather have sublime game play.
Nothing wrong either way. Just differing opinions.

bargeparty

I think is noticeable looking almost any surface, but specially floors.

Check this link for more info about differences between performance and cinematic:
https://www.techstomper.com/demons-souls-ps5-compare-cinematic-mode-vs-performance-mode-screenshots/%3famp

Thanks for the link. I couldn't see a way to view those sliders fullscreen so I had to just zoom in on the page, and given that, as I said before, there's barely a difference between the two modes. I'm sure on an actual screen the resolution difference is apparent, but I don't believe the other minor differences warrant playing at 30 fps. Just my opinion.

Maybe when I get back to playing I'll pick a few areas and see if I can do a real-time comparison.

nikeboy94

With Miles Morales, the graphics were so much better in fidelity mode and 30fps felt "smooth". Playing that on my LG CX was amazing and the 30fps felt fitting for "cinematic" spiderman swings.

For Demon's Souls, I went performance mainly because the 30fps felt stuttery. The graphics didn't take that much of a hit in performance mode and still looked amazing. 60fps is also something that I felt was necessary for the gameplay DM was offering.

Anyways, to sum up, I think it just depends on the game.

TonyK

Thanks for the link. I couldn't see a way to view those sliders fullscreen so I had to just zoom in on the page, and given that, as I said before, there's barely a difference between the two modes. I'm sure on an actual screen the resolution difference is apparent, but I don't believe the other minor differences warrant playing at 30 fps. Just my opinion.

Maybe when I get back to playing I'll pick a few areas and see if I can do a real-time comparison.
For me it looks clearly better in cinematic... but it plays way better in performance. I hate to choose, I want both modes together :messenger_loudly_crying:
I will need to wait to the remaster of the remake in the PS6.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
If you can't notice the difference between 30fps and 60fps there is something seriously wrong with you
I notice the difference, but the extra smoothness is literally irrelevant to me.
I prefer my games to look their absolute best. 30FPS is more than smooth enough. No point making games look shittier for my character to move 1ms faster

I didn't understand that there are so many who prefer 30fps for better graphics. I've been so happy to play console games especially open world games at 60fps.

So we all can be really happy that most Playstation 5 games offer us the choice! That was my hope for this generation and it's awesome that it's now a reality.

Self

I notice the difference, but the extra smoothness is literally irrelevant to me.
I prefer my games to look their absolute best. 30FPS is more than smooth enough. No point making games look shittier for my character to move 1ms faster

Boy, you will love 120FPS! xD

Your thread title says it all when you say "how you can prefer"....that's just it, it's all about preference. I don't understand how some people scream and yell about 60fps vs 30fps, and framepacing......i just don't notice it and it doesn't impact my enjoyment of anything i play. I think gaming in many ways has become far too overanalyzed, and many have lost the idea of just having fun.
You don’t notice the difference between 60 FPS and 30 FPS?....

SkylineRKR

Because Ray tracing isn’t the big deal you’re making it out to be, flat out.

I’m gonna quote myself here:

I have every game on PS5 that offers Ray tracing and I feel like this entire feature was created so they could have another “game changing” feature. Nothing about it looks so different that it’s worth the sacrifices to performance.

I often kept replaying the same sections of Miles Morales and BlackOps going out my way to look for differences and couldn’t find any and Godfall wasn’t much different.

The best differences in raytracing I saw was the political rally and the villain hideout in Miles Morales....until I turned it off and realized it just looked different in ways I couldn’t tell when I’m, I dunno, actually playing the game? Everything I thought was ray tracing looked the same with it on or off, RT just looks shinier with ambient occulusion.

Its just not there yet. The reduction in resolution or cutting the framerate in half is ridiculous. Wait a generation, and perhaps its possible without sacrifices.

To me it feels like the PS3 and 360 being sold as HD systems. Sure, there were some instances games could be called HD and some simpler games even 1080p, but most games really weren't HD at all. PS4 kicked this off.

Last edited:

0ean

Neo Member
I have to say on Xbox I couldn't put myself through setting cyberpunk to quality mode. Especially considering I have come straight from COD which is 120 FPS. Performance > Quality.

Top Bottom