• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman Morales, are you using fidelity or performance mode??

Fidelity or performance mode

• Total voters

GymWolf

I tried both mode and performance seems like the best way to go for me.

The game is most of the times too fucking fast to notice raytraced reflections in some cars or buildings and the reflections still look weird, kinda low def\less sharp compared to the rest of the game and they really don't trick my brain more than traditional fake reflections that already looked good on spidey ps4 and look even better on morales ps5.
You really have to stop and walk slowly to take screenshots to greatly notice the difference in reflection quality, in movements during normal gameplay they are a background blur at best.

The performance mode is pretty stable most of the times (not rock solid tho) and the game immediately feels better to play, the character is more snappy, same for the camera movements the web slinging, the combat etc, and the dynamic resolution is already pretty sharp, it looks even sharp than spidey ps4 on pro on a 4k oled tv.

After seeing some raytraced screenshots for the game i was convinced to give a chance to the fidelity mode but like i thought, i really don't give a fuck about raytraced and 60 frames are the real gamechanger in a game fast and dynamic like spiderman.

What are you using?!

Kuranghi

It arrives in the next few hours but I've already decided on Fidelity. I know it will feel way better at 60 but I am an IQ whore and I want to see that native 4K, it makes a big difference to me. Enough to get used to shitty 30 fps. I did just complete the 2018 game again though so its an easy transition.

I could've played DQXI at native 4K on my PC with basically locked 60 but then I started increasing the draw distance on models and shadows + increased the UE4 screen percentage to 150% and its fucking amazing at 6K native (downsampling to 4K), after that I just capped it to 30 ofc, which feels pretty bad after playing at 60 for 4 hours but I've sorted out the max motion blur setting (ie increased it from 1.0 to 1.25) now so it doesn't have nasty judder on camera pans of high contrast and/or thin vertical objects like pillars and such.

PSA - I spent a long time tweaking DQ XI's UE4 ini settings to make it look perfect in my eyes, so if anyone wants to cut out/down the tweak time then just fire me a DM and I'll share the settings. A lot of the settings online are 90% there but they don't understand some of the variables and set it too high, I ended up going on a journey to actually understand what each thing did to perfect it. One of the settings was tweaked more for my specific TV, but I'll let you know which one that is.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

...but I promise I'll play it at 60 afterwards Gymmy! I won't let you down by being a 30 fps peasant all my life.

NickFire

Once I get one, either soon, 2021, or 2022 (whenever Walmart figures out how to increase bandwidth to accept my credit card), I'll be playing in performance. If I get a 4k TV, all bets are off.

Kuranghi

You only do a favor to yourself by at least trying the performance mode.

Yeah I know its going to feel better and you'll see so much more of the action during the lightning fast takedowns and the like, but I just love my IQ too much. I'm the cunt who notices absolutely tiny differences in IQ, so it really does make a difference to me that its in native 4K all the time instead of just when on top of a building.

MDSLKTR

If you want to plat the game you have to do ng+ so I'm leaving the performance option for that. Raytracing is too good to not be experienced fully.

GymWolf

You will notice ray tracing a lot during fight scenes and inside buildings/floors

it looks too glorious to pass up

the 30fps looks really smooth imo
How can you notice rtx during combat when you move at fast pace all the damn time??

Maybe on normal or easy, but on hard you are dead if you stay still and i don't believe for a second that you (me) can distinguish raytraced and fake reflections while moving at that speed, sometimes i had to move the camera around to notice the difference while standing still...

Do you fight in a mirror house during the game or what??

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah I know its going to feel better and you'll see so much more of the action during the lightning fast takedowns and the like, but I just love my IQ too much. I'm the cunt who notices absolutely tiny differences in IQ, so it really does make a difference to me that its in native 4K all the time instead of just when on top of a building.
I was onestly surprised by how sharp the image look on performance mode, and believe me i will never going back to blurry games on a 4k oled.

Everyone notices that. It's just way less important than 60fps to most. Especially such a fast moving game like this. You are sacrificing so much for a slight improvement imo. But it's good we have options.

Personally I think RTX is nice but never worth the impact on performance. Even with my 3080 and DLSS - I'd still rather the fps bump considering what I get from the RTX.

GymWolf

Allllllright I'll try it. You have a 2018/19 panny OLED don't you? Lovely sets.
I mean, of course 4k looks better, not saying the opposite :lollipop_squinting:
But it's more sharp than native 1440p on my pc for example.

Yep panny 2018 series, i'm gonna change it next year most probably, i need that hdmi 2.1 goodness after all...

Last edited:
How can you notice rtx during combat when you move at fast pace all the damn time??

Maybe on normal or easy, but on hard you are dead if you stay still and i don't believe for a second that you (me) can distinguish raytraced and fake reflections while moving at that speed, sometimes i had to move the camera around to notice the difference while standing still...

Do you fight in a mirror house during the game or what??

just office spaces with lots of glass and reflective floors

cryogenic7

You will notice ray tracing a lot during fight scenes and inside buildings/floors

it looks too glorious to pass up

the 30fps looks really smooth imo
Yeah. Usually I go for high frame rate over visuals, but in the case of Spiderman MM I have been playing in fidelity mode. I love the ray traced reflections, they look amazing. The 30FPS is very stable and feels smooth as silk. Demon's Souls on the other hand, I have been playing in performance mode. The fidelity mode on that game does not feel smooth at all.

Arkam

Set to fidelity and have not had a reason to switch to performance. If I see any "noticeable" dips I might check it out. That is pretty much my SOP with games given a choice. Show me the shiny and ill decide if it has performance issues or not.

GymWolf

Set to fidelity and have not had a reason to switch to performance. If I see any "noticeable" dips I might check it out. That is pretty much my SOP with games given a choice. Show me the shiny and ill decide if it has performance issues or not.
I mean, there is nothing inherently wrong on playing at 30 fps if stable, they just feel worse than 60, they are not broken per se, so you are not gonna find "performance issues"...

Last edited:
It would bug the shit out of me to play this in 30fps knowing that a 60fps mode is just a menu selection away. But them RT effects look so damn good too. Ideally they'd just offer a 1440p/60fps/RT mode...

GymWolf

60fps feels like I’m watching a YouTube video at 1.5X speed. 30fps feels correct.
tenor.gif

Do you watch 60 frames yt video at half speed too?! :lollipop_squinting:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Fidelity, Ray Tracing is just WOW and that’s coming from someone who played control with RTX on a 2080ti

This is an interesting comment. I thought it'll take these consoles 2 years to get to Control's Ray-Tracing on a 2080ti. But to be here with a launch game is impressive!!!

Kuranghi

Everyone notices that. It's just way less important than 60fps to most. Especially such a fast moving game like this. You are sacrificing so much for a slight improvement imo. But it's good we have options.

Personally I think RTX is nice but never worth the impact on performance. Even with my 3080 and DLSS - I'd still rather the fps bump considering what I get from the RTX.

I think you are discounting that 90% of people don't game like us, they don't care about framerate or resolution or any of the other stuff we talk about on here. Sometimes people can be shown the difference and notice it but even then (in my experience, with average people who I used to sell games and TVs to, who don't look up comparisons) they simply don't care and contrast, art style and gameplay are the things that make a difference to them.

Its laughable to say that "everyone notices that", regarding resolution when you have countless threads on GAF itself (where people are more nerdy about games naturally) saying how DLSS is better than native.

Most people have the motion settings set to max on their TV (Because they turn the picture settings to Vivid/Dynamic to get the most pop from the image) and they don't think people having jelly borders around them or things on the screen literally tearing into pieces for not a short period of time is bad, in fact they think it looks "really lifelike", a phrase I heard 100s of times.

I had a hard time with this at first but came to understand/accept it lol.

GymWolf

This is an interesting comment. I thought it'll take these consoles 2 years to get to Control's Ray-Tracing on a 2080ti. But to be here with a launch game is impressive!!!
They are not there, control and metro are far more advanced in terms of rtx, in spidey they pop up more because you always have buildings with reflective surfaces around and reflections are less sublte than lights\shadows.

Playing devil's advocate here, i don't care or even notice rtx in any of these games.

Last edited:
I mean, there is nothing inherently wrong on playing at 30 fps if stable, they just feel worse than 60, they are not broken per se, so you are not gonna find "performance issues"...
Playing this on PS4 right now.. 60fps would be nice to have. Side note... game is really good so far.

GymWolf

I think you are discounting that 90% of people don't game like us, they don't care about framerate or resolution or any of the other stuff we talk about on here. Sometimes people can be shown the difference and notice it but even then (in my experience, with average people who I used to sell games and TVs to, who don't look up comparisons) they simply don't care and contrast, art style and gameplay are the things that make a difference to them.

Its laughable to say that "everyone notices that", regarding resolution when you have countless threads on GAF itself (where people are more nerdy about games naturally) saying how DLSS is better than native.

Most people have the motion settings set to max on their TV (Because they turn the picture settings to Vivid/Dynamic to get the most pop from the image) and they don't think people having jelly borders around them or things on the screen literally tearing into pieces for not a short period of time is bad, in fact they think it looks "really lifelike", a phrase I heard 100s of times.

I had a hard time with this at first but came to understand/accept it lol.
giphy.gif

if there is something great about panasonic oleds is that you can turn on game mode on any other picture mode, for example i have ultra realistic color but with game mode activeted for when i play, pure game mode looks too bright and exagerated in most televisions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom