• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGDA doesn’t let Nintendo off the hook for firing Alison Rapp

Status
Not open for further replies.
She did professional photoshoots (in various states of undress) where she incorporated Nintendo products. She specifiaclly thanked some rando on her twitter for sending her a nighty he bought off of her amazon wishlist. All from her twitter account where she shouted from the heavens she was a nintendo employee.

Yeah, yet there are a dozen+ people in this thread that somehow think this is completely fabricated (and are super pissed)? It's still on her twitter feed right now.

I don't get it. I guess you can make the argument that it's not 100% proof that that was the second job she was fired for, but now we're splitting hairs.

kiryogi

Banned
i wonder which side of the company gave the order.
if it was the JP branch, no wonder since they treat women like crap in japan.
if it was the US branch, it's pretty bad that the few times they have their own decisions to make, they make a mess like this.

Again untrue about the JP branch, see above poster.

Man, it's always going to be 100% one direction or the other on GAF huh?

Every thread posted having to do with this is horrendous. Please just stop, GAF.

What is it that you take issue with?

She did professional photoshoots (in various states of undress) where she incorporated Nintendo products. She specifiaclly thanked some rando on her twitter for sending her a nighty he bought off of her amazon wishlist. All from her twitter account where she shouted from the heavens she was a nintendo employee. It sucks she was harrased and it sucks she got fired but let it go

Can we try not to do this? What the second job was doesn't matter, and it's none of our business prying so closely into it or trying to make it seem like the entire situation is justified because of it.

TheWorst

She did professional photoshoots (in various states of undress) where she incorporated Nintendo products. She specifiaclly thanked some rando on her twitter for sending her a nighty he bought off of her amazon wishlist. All from her twitter account where she shouted from the heavens she was a nintendo employee. It sucks she was harrased and it sucks she got fired but let it go

Neither of those things are why she got fired. As for the bolded...are you serious? Maybe I shouldn't have entered this thread...

ZeroGravity

Nintendo's actions are exactly the point tho. They massively failed to consider the implications of what they were doing and did it anyway, further increasing the hostility and vitriol directed at women working in games.
There are also implications for not firing your employees who show no regard for workplace rules.

Yes, she violated their policy. Nintendo's refusal to join the video game culture war on her behalf is what people take issue with.

They inadvertently joined the "war" when they decided to remain silent as she was being harassed.

Silence in the face of harassment speaks volumes.

People need to seriously stop acting like what Nintendo did was illegal. Shitty, sure, run with that if you want. But there will never be a lawsuit because they didn't illegally terminate the position.

But this statement really doesn't do anything. I guess it shows what position IGDA takes on the harassment stuff but even they acknowledge that it could have been poor timing. Whoopie dee doo.

NateDrake

Yeah, there are a dozen+ people in this thread that somehow think this is completely fabricated? It's still on her twitter feed right now.

I don't get it.

No one is denying the existence of the photographs. We are saying that isn't the second job. She said she did the work under an alias. Those photos are on her personal Twitter. They weren't hard to find.

The second job doesn't fucking matter. It's for her to know and no one else.

Mesoian

Good. Nintendo needs to be held accountable for this. Because ain't no one buying that excuse of moonlighting being why she was fired, not after the previous 2 months.

Game-Biz

I'm guessing Nintendo would have been fine with her moonlighting if the gamergaters hadn't made the situation uncomfortable for them. I think it's obvious that Nintendo is using her second job as a great excuse for her termination.

i wonder which side of the company gave the order.
if it was the JP branch, no wonder since they treat women like crap in japan.
if it was the US branch, it's pretty bad that the few times they have their own decisions to make, they make a mess like this.

Why would NOJ give two shits about drama in the PR department of NOA?

don't the pictures speak for themselves?

It seemed that even if those weren't related to the second job, saying there was a second job could be Nintendo's polite way of saying she needed to go because of that.

Any time that stuff is brought up, it's dismissed here. But has she said anything herself to say that it wasn't that? Or are we inferring that simply because that is not a job and it might not have been under a different name?

Very happy to see IGDA use their influence to call Nintendo out. They absolutely deserved the wakeup call of being condemned for their actions in this situation. This is the kind of thing we need to see from the industry - solidarity among developers and against harassers.

I think I made my thoughts pre clear on the situation itself in the last couple of threads :V

No it wasn't, that is completely made up. Her second job is private, so we should respect that.

This is exactly how I feel and exactly what I would have written. I'm glad to see others share the same sentiment.

TheWorst

Yeah, yet there are a dozen+ people in this thread that somehow think this is completely fabricated (and are super pissed)? It's still on her twitter feed right now.

I don't get it. I guess you can make the argument that it's not 100% proof that that was the second job she was fired for, but now we're splitting hairs.

Literally nobody is saying that those things are fabricated. It should be clear that the second job wasn't that, however - according to Alison, the second job was kept private and done under a pseudonym. Did you not know about that part or do you just not believe her?

Bio

In the last topic a mod said you would be banned if you posted any of her old tweets, so I'm not surprised nobody knows.

Honestly people are just blindly defending her and assuming Nintendo is obeying the whims of "the others" without any evidence. All we know is what has been said, and that is that she was fired for a second job. If that's not the case why isn't she saying that's false? There are NDAs but they don't typically restrict you from defending yourself if a company is lying about you, right?

It seemed that even if those weren't related to the second job, saying there was a second job could be Nintendo's polite way of saying she needed to go because of that.

Any time that stuff is brought up, it's dismissed here. But has she said anything herself to say that it wasn't that? Or are we inferring that simply because that is not a job and it might not have been under a different name?

As I understand, she wants to move on, people can respect that or not.

This is exactly how I feel and exactly what I would have written. I'm glad to see others share the same sentiment.

Exactly. No one denies the existence of photographs. But there's been a bit of moving goalposts from "of course she was fired for her pedo statements" to "just look at her pictures and you'll see why she was fired."

It's ridiculous. And her pictures have never been hard to find, so let's not act like they were suddenly a revelation in this discussion.

Kinsei

Banned

Except she has explicitly stated that her second job was done under an alias. Posting it on her Twitter account kinda defeats the purpose of that huh?

Honestly people are just blindly defending her and assuming Nintendo is obeying the whims of "the others" without any evidence. All we know is what has been said, and that is that she was fired for a second job. If that's not the case why isn't she saying that's false? There are NDAs but they don't typically restrict you from defending yourself if a company is lying about you, right?

Nintendo didn't really say anything about the situation other than it was because of her second job. It was pretty vague too, that it didn't agree with company principles or something like that. An NDA could keep her from talking about anything involving her work, and unless Nintendo wheeled out some actual libel about her, there's nothing going on.

her side job was offering nsfw photos for buying her stuff off her amazon wishlist or just about. what company wouldn't fire anybody, man or woman, for that especially one with a family friendly image like nintendo.

If Nintendo was firing her for that, then am I to understand that they lied? What an ethical company

Dryk

Yes, she violated their policy. Nintendo's refusal to join the video game culture war on her behalf is what people take issue with.
They were dragged into it whether they liked it or not. They chose to stay silent for months, they chose to only come out and condemn her harrassment when they had an excuse to fire her and they chose to throw her to the wolves.

I'm sick of large companies standing on the sidelines and allowing this to continue while it's been going on for years now.

BY2K

Membero Americo
They were dragged into it whether they liked it or not. They chose to stay silent for months, they chose to only come out and condemn her harrassment when they had an excuse to fire her and they chose to throw her to the wolves.

I'm sick of large companies standing on the sidelines and allowing this to continue while it's been going on for years now.

What would have changed if they had voiced their disapproval earlier? What do you want them to do against people who use fake names or anonymity to harass other people over the internet?

She said:
An anon found out, told them, and here we are. It was moonlighting Nintendo didn’t like, despite the fact that it was anonymous.
https://twitter.com/alisonrapp/status/715362564167733248

Do you think that if the industry wasn’t afraid of women, sex-positivity, etc. that the anon moonlighting I did would have been a problem?
https://twitter.com/alisonrapp/status/715362765326553088

So she's said her second job is something related to 'sex positvity' that Nintendo didn't like. Digging up the evidence of this sucks, but the facts are what they are. She isn't fighting it herself.

Scum

The pictures are not why she was fired. Read the thread and stop ignoring that fact. The photos were not part of her second job, they are completely unrelated. The nature of the second job is what caused her to be fired. She said so herself.

You must be tired from doing this, eh BY2K? :p
But you know what's fucking worse? The fact that those misogynist cunts have moved onto harassing other men and women. D:

bryehn

Not trying to belittle the statement from them, but can the IGDA do anything but publicly shame Nintendo? I'd imagine Nintendo is basically putting their fingers in their ears and pretending they don't hear anything.

No, they are basically a haphazard network of advocacy groups and concerns. Women in gaming, accessibility, legal issues for developers, that sort of thing.

It's a nice enough community and resource for those in the industry, but I don't think they have any sort of "power" at all.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You must be tired from doing this, eh BY2K? :p
But you know what's fucking worse? The fact that those misogynist cunts have moved onto harassing other men and women. D:

Right now to only real way to defend yourself is to ignore those people and keep as little information about you on the internet as possible.

It's fucked up.

Fishlake

Nintendo deserves this heat. They had ample opportunity to stand up for her and they did nothing of significance.

I'm glad that this will not be easily forgotten like so many other things in this industry are.

Not

Banned
Shouldn't we know what the infamous "second job" was before we start shitting on Nintendo? No, no, of course not.

Do you realize with a simplistic statement like this that, despite your true intentions, you're implying that if someone decided her moonlighting job besmirched Nintendo's sanctimonious image in any way, she deserved everything she got, including being targeted by Gamergate?

Schnozberry

Does straight up propagating and carrying out life and career-killing harassment in the name of baseless and vile misogyny really deserve to be waved away as a "culture war?"

That's exactly what it is. It's like the conservative "War on Christmas". It's entitled manchildren defending an idealized past that never existed in order to preserve a future that was never theirs to begin with. They will be trampled to dust by the passage of time.

That's exactly what it is. It's like the conservative "War on Christmas". It's entitled manchildren defending an idealized past that never existed in order to preserve a future that was never theirs to begin with. They will be trampled to dust by the passage of time.

Not if companies like Nintendo take such a passive approach to it.

Their nonexistent support for their employees encourages harassment.

So then should the discussion be about protecting their harassed employees rather than reasons for firing?

That would get the conversation in the right direction since the reasons for her termination seem to be pretty well cemented at this point and does little to change minds.

Something I've noticed people ask is for Nintendo to stand up against harassment, but I'm not sure how they could.
They could keep her away from social media, but that would be shitty to do.
I'm not sure you could issue a statement as a company against unreasonable people like those that went out and harassed her and actually have an impact.
If anyone has examples, that would help me understand.

What would have changed if they had voiced their disapproval earlier? What do you want them to do against people who use fake names or anonymity to harass other people over the internet?
It's possible that could have taken legal action against these people but what I personally wanted was to reinforce that they don't tolerate actions of this hate group. Would it help much? Who knows but it would probably be a good/powerful message from one the biggest companies in the industry.

She said:

https://twitter.com/alisonrapp/status/715362564167733248

https://twitter.com/alisonrapp/status/715362765326553088

So she's said her second job is something related to 'sex positvity' that Nintendo didn't like. Digging up the evidence of this sucks, but the facts are what they are. She isn't fighting it herself.
What your doing is so disgusting.

Manus

Wait people didn't see the Twitter photos she posted thanking the random person who got her the lingerie? Their supposed to be fake? That awfully seems fishy to me.

Crocodile

So my understanding of the situation is that GG was being is stupid and fucked up self and made Rapp the target of their derision for no real reason. In the midst of all that, they found out Rapp had a second job on the side and somehow informed Nintendo. Because of the nature of this job, Nintendo fired her. Nobody in the public knows what that second job was. Like I think its fucking awful that GG was messing in her business at all and that they found this information. The woman did NOTHING to deserve that. However, if like Nintendo learned her second job (which she did under a fake name so clearly she didn't want many people to know about it) was like "leaking company secrets to Sony/Microsoft" tier in terms of things that would legitimately garner Nintendo's ire, should Nintendo not have fired her? Even if they would have fired anyone else in the same situation if GG wasn't involved? Should they have waited a few months to fire her after GG got bored so it wouldn't look like they are related (even if they would have fired someone else in the same situation sans GG immediately)? Should they have released a statement within the explanation of the firing or even before the firing that explicitly called out GG and called them a piece of shit?

If "Nintendo learns about a second job whose nature legit gives them a reason to can her" remains as a fact, how should've Nintendo played this so not to accidentally empower GG? I'm legit unsure so I'm curious as to the ideas other have. Or does everyone blasting Nintendo just think they are straight up lying when they say the nature of her second job was a problem (which Rapp doesn't even seem to dispute)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom