• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: ~50 Layoffs at Sony Santa Monica, Project Canceled [Up2: Was Stig's New IP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously fuck publishers. If we had some serious creativity in the industry instead of moving towards making every game play similarly we wouldn't have this problem.

People don't want to buy the same shit year after year.

Call of duty fans would like to have a word with you.

raphanum

I really don't understand some of the comments/reactions here. "Sony needs more games, not less, blah blah." We don't know at which capacity that stuff was working or which game they were working on in the first place.

Yeah or the fact they are moving into a bigger studio. Why move into a bigger studio if you are gonna lay off 50 people?

This will sound harsh, but maybe, they are trimming dead weight? Bringing in new talent?

50 people laid off.

The VFX infustry lost hundreds within the shutdown of rhythm and hues. Spread out amongst Disney, Dreamworks, Sony and more, the animation industry saw layoffs in the thousands. Last year.
This is just a regular influx of ramp ups and layoffs that happen in any industry.

Capella

I'm trying not to be too pessimistic about the video games industry but I expect to see more news like this over the next few years. I just don't see big budget studios being able to carry on like this for long.

Good luck to those who where laid off. This sucks :(

What rumored agent game?

If you're talking about Agent, that is not rumored but was announced by Jack Tretton but was developed and published by Rockstar.
I don't even think it's been officially canceled or has it?

noobasuar

Banned
The one in 2008 which was for PS3 and then in 2011 for Vita and now the rumor is for PS4?

Doesn't seem like a very solid rumor.

I guess not but the rumors been floating around for so long now that it's sad to see nothing come from it. The old Syphon Filter games are so rad.

Pennywise

Not to be a dick, but this is the best case scenario. GoW:A was really lacking and bombed, no reason to cancel a new project with a 'new' director (Cory Barlog) at the helm.

Some of them already left last year, we know about Todd Papy.
Others had left as well, like Mark Simon.

On the other hand if you look at Stigs team, there are no indications of layoffs, at least as far as I can see.
Jonathan Hawkins who worked on GoW3 is in pretty good spirits and tweeted about the new IP the last days, so I doubt it's Stigs team.

It most likely hit those from GoW:A team that couldn't fit in either team, who knows.
Barlog might be working on a different genre that needs new blood.

Gusto

I think Microsoft is making better business decisions. While Sony is spending all this money on studios that are releasing duds like KZ:SF and knack, Microsoft is locking in 3rd party exclusives without all the extra baggage.

Hard times for the industry, not sure why anybody would want to work in it.

Loudninja

I think Microsoft is making better business decisions. While Sony is spending all this money on studios that are releasing duds like KZ:SF and knack, Microsoft is locking in 3rd party exclusives without all the extra baggage.

Yes that dud that shipped 2.1 million copies,which is likely the best selling exclusive.

noobasuar

Banned
Call of duty fans would like to have a word with you.

Well that's fine for activision since they carved out thier niche. It's every other publisher that's to blame for thinking they could pursade CoD fans to buy thier games without realizing that these people could give two shits about any other game other than CoD.

But then you realize these people making the decisions haven't ever played a videogame in thier life so it's a surprise the industry as it is has lasted this long.

Jigorath

Banned

Killzone Shadow Fall sold very well. And I bet it has cost Microsoft more money to get Titanfall exclusive than the development of Killzone, Infamous, and Knack combined. Microsoft has clearly spent a bunch of the one billion it set aside for games purely on Titanfall and EA.

Milennia

Thats 50 people out of a job above all :/
Very credible stuido, im sure many of them will land on their feet, and i hope all of them do.

CrisKre

If a high profile studio like this is seeing such big layoffs you can only wonder how smaller studios may be holding on for dear life at this point. So sad to see the industry imploding on itself like this.

Its an interesting contrast to an article that was posted here a few days ago on N64 days Rare, stating that they completed DK Racing with 15 team members. 15 TEAM MEMBERS. On a title that went to sell shy of 5 million units. The investment this days on producing titles seems unsustainable at this point.

Always sucks to hear this. Hopefully they hit the ground running somewhere else as soon as possible. Because the most important thing in these situations is just getting back to a sense of normalcy and routine in a stable environment as quickly as they can find it.

Whompa

hope those severance packages were nice...

bummer to hear but the good news is, there's a good amount of studios around Santa Monica area.

My question: What got canned? GoW game?

Vizzeh

Banned
I don't know, can you? What's your point? I was responding to the chap who said these layoffs prove the industry is in trouble.
Not off hand at the moment without a bit of research. Multitasking atm, it was a general curiousity (Not just possed at you) and a counter with food for thought for anyone sugguesting its all doom and gloom and one way traffic, Sony population reduction.

There may very well have been studio closures but may also have been a shift of resources/New or upgraded studios and the speculated shift in need to support studios not familar with the cell and the reduction in time to triangle :)

Sony Numbers could still be reasonably balanced given the listed studio reduction/closures.

Slixshot

Banned
I thought you were a Nintendo fan? :p

ooh_burn-4027.jpg

Unrelated note: How come I see so many people on this forum say "RIP in peace"? Do they not know what the I and the P stand for or something? Language gripe over.

Theecliff

Banned
Man, this sucks to hear. 50 people is a lot to lose their jobs, damn.

Unrelated note: How come I see so many people on this forum say "RIP in peace"? Do they not know what the I and the P stand for or something? Language gripe over.
It's more of a joke than anything.

So, my guess is the GoW:A team that got laid off, they tried to do something which didn't work and was canned in pre-production.
And with Barlog building up another team, that might be true.

Don't think Stigs team was influenced, well it's shit...
Hopefully they'll get another spot soon, maybe even inside the family.

Yeah this seems the most plausible. After Ascension there probably wasn't a lot if faith in the team and if the early drafts of their project wasn't going anywhere cutting them seems like a tough but fair business decision. Hopefully SSM can grow to 3 teams again though, would love to see them have a team dedicated to smaller experimental titles.

iamvin22

Industry Verified

been in it for over 10 years and wouldn't look back.

labaronx

god of war ascension not selling as well as 3 and people on here saying the franchise can't be saved and its the reason for the cuts

Exile20

Looks like we are hearing about so many layoffs from Sony, which is really sad and it angers me so much. People could could support Sony and say they are cutting fat but these are real people getting laid off. Get your finances together and avoid these layoffs and as usual the higher ups are making all the money.

To add to your comment, Nintendo runs a very tight ship. They never layoff even though they aren't selling a lot of copies.

I hope things get better but I can see people jumping ship from Sony.

Drencrom

Some of them already left last year, we know about Todd Papy.
Others had left as well, like Mark Simon.

On the other hand if you look at Stigs team, there are no indications of layoffs, at least as far as I can see.
Jonathan Hawkins who worked on GoW3 is in pretty good spirits and tweeted about the new IP the last days, so I doubt it's Stigs team.

It most likely hit those from GoW:A team that couldn't fit in either team, who knows.
Barlog might be working on a different genre that needs new blood.

Makes sense, as long as Stig's and Barlog's projects are safe i'm cool.

Aversion

Banned

There is so much wrong with this post. Yes, Microsoft is making good decisions now. Too bad no one cares who is even remotely interested in real next gen graphics for the majority of its games. Sorry, but this dude ain't going back to 900p and dogshit fps with little no AA.

KZ is a great game that got rushed because it had to make launch. No ifs no butts. If KZ wasn't there shit hits the fan. SO they rushed it out. When the new maps and whatever else come to MP it will still be a top 3 multiplayer shooter atm.

And your idea that Micro is locking in all these exclusive is shaky at best imo. You see from your post one might gather that Sony is in dire trouble. It's so laughable as to be completely inane.

And why would any artist want to work on videogames man? I JUST DON'T KNOW!

Gusto

Yes that dud that shipped 2.1 million copies,which is likely the best selling exclusive.

Bioshock Infinite sold over 4 million copies, Tomb Raider sold over 3.4 million, both didn't sell enough and then came the layoffs. These Sony exclusives are only selling because it's all we have.

I've always wondered what kind of 3rd party exclusives Sony could grab if they let go of some of their studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom