• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: ~50 Layoffs at Sony Santa Monica, Project Canceled [Up2: Was Stig's New IP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enjay

Banned
Hopefully they only laid off the people who worked on Twisted Metal and Playstation All-Stars and that no major losses have happened.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sorry to hear this from what is a respected studio but this is pretty standard in the IT industry. It's the equivalent of a spring cleaning :(

People calling for Yoshida's head because a game we knew nothing about got cancelled? What

Think it's more to do with 50 people being dumped on top of the other studios he shut down and left jobless, as well as the drop off of quality of some studios since he took over. With the exception of TLoU I don't think much in the way of IP of worth has been incubated under his tenure either as Uncharted, LBP and Motorstorm were all pitched to Phil Harrison, Heavy Rain was signed by Harrison. I guess Infamous and Resistance were too. Tearaway was good by all accounts, but once again the only reason Sony have that game is Harrison's foresight. Remains to be seen what Yoshida's legacy will be but so far it's largely redundancies and mediocre IP.

Sucks to hear but knowing the quality of work SSM output makes me think these guys and girls will be finding work in no time. Too talented a group of people not to.

Think it's more to do with 50 people being dumped on top of the other studios he shut down and left jobless, as well as the drop off of quality of some studios since he took over. With the exception of TLoU I don't think much in the way of IP of worth has been incubated under his tenure either as Uncharted, LBP and Motorstorm were all pitched to Phil Harrison, Heavy Rain was signed by Harrison. I guess Infamous and Resistance were too. Tearaway was good by all accounts, but once again the only reason Sony have that game is Harrison's foresight. Remains to be seen what Yoshida's legacy will be but so far it's largely redundancies and mediocre IP.

Yoshida gave Cerny and Naughty Dog the first PS1 Devkits for western developers.

Theecliff

Banned
Except we can't really lump this situation with the others in that list when we hardly know anything about all of this. Games are cancelled; new IPs (if this indeed was one) sometimes don't work out. People don't have near enough information to claim this was a bad move by Yoshida, hence why I thought it was silly that people were calling for his head specifically in this thread.

It's still shit that 50 people lost their jobs though.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I guess they realized a game with vehicles and shooting, and set in an 'open world' might not sell as well as a new God of War set in a new mythology. Do it, Sony!

Massa

Except we can't really lump this situation with the others in that list when we hardly know anything about all of this. Games are cancelled; new IPs (if this indeed was one) sometimes don't work out. People don't have near enough information to claim this was a bad move by Yoshida, hence why I thought it was silly that people were calling for his head specifically in this thread.

It's still shit that 50 people lost their jobs though.

Games get canceled all the time but if you're laying off 50 people a month after expanding your studio there's something very wrong with your management.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Games get canceled all the time but if you're laying off 50 people a month after expanding your studio there's something very wrong with your management.

The thing is it might be people that have been there for years and that whatever they were working on is nearly done.

Also we don't know if the 50 that are leaving have volunteered because of the severance package under offer...

This isn't the first time you've pitched your arguments quid-pro-quo, but they aren't wrong, but it's always the same one-sided arguments. Sure, some games were pitched to Harrison and he passed them, but likewise you don't seem to credit Yoshida for stuff that was improved under his tenure. Harrison was only responsible up till the first Uncharted. UC2/3 & TLoU were Shuhei's.

God of War's starting point was also under Shuhei's watch, prior to WWS shuffling. That game was running over-budget, and Shuhei was the one that allowed for it to go on, in spite of that. And speaking of studios floundering under watch, Japan Studio arguably got worse in the period of Harrison's watch. White Knight Chronicles, Eye of Judgement, Kungfu Rider. Shuhei. Post-2011 Japan Studio, which was when Shuhei put Allan in, on the other hand has released games like Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Daze, TJ, Rain, etc. Even the 'I think it was bad' Demon Souls was Shuhei's greenlit project, for what it was worth. Output from Japan Studio had gotten way better since then, only difference is well... Vita games more than consoles.

Not saying Yoshida is great, far from it. He's definitely got his weaknesses, and arguably he should maintain stricter quality control. But Harrison is not as amazing as you make it out to be, or Shuhei as bad as you make him out. Honestly I'd say they're about equal at this point.

AmFreak

True, that's why i don't understand why we don't have further infos at this point. Someone should investigate this shit!

beril

Yup the cancellation is not the news, and that may or may not have been the correct thing to do. Laying off 50 people from one of their top studios is the news, and that's almost certainly not the right thing to do unless they're really hurting for cash (which I guess Sony are though). It's kindof sad to see people trying to justify it at something completely normal to lay off everyone the moment a project is down. I thought the industry had moved away from that shitty practice, at least at big publishers.

Yoshida gave Cerny and Naughty Dog the first PS1 Devkits for western developers.

The story is Yoshida signed off on the dev kit while Cerny was at Crystal Dynamics, which Cerny never used. Cerny later went on to work with ND on Crash Bandicoot so seems you got your story mixed up. Nice story, I don't mind if Yoshida is made Head of Handing out DevKits.

coldone

Especially if he was any responsible for choosing nihilistic to develop COD, Resistance for Vita. Lot of games including Starhawk, Twisted Metal never had the polish that we expect from Sony's 1st party studios.

Sony needs some truly compelling games like BF4, Titan Fall, Skyrim, Witcher etc. Their first party studios should be able to create games that wow people than being cheap and efficient. They are looking more like EA and THQ

Yup the cancellation is not the news, and that may or may not have been the correct thing to do. Laying off 50 people from one of their top studios is the news, and that's almost certainly not the right thing to do unless they're really hurting for cash (which I guess Sony are though). It's kindof sad to see people trying to justify it at something completely normal to lay off everyone the moment a project is down. I thought the industry had moved away from that shitty practice, at least at big publishers.

Cash doesn't make sense as the reason though.

If it was trimming down cost, it would be better to cut 5 heads each from every one of their WWS studio. Or scrap one of the unannounced external development projects.

Cutting 50 people at a go, some who are qualified and experienced enough to be a core creative member of any AAA-title, doesn't make sense if it was cost-measures. This isn't like laying off 30 programming grunts after a project ends, a lot of the talent cut off are not easily replaceable.

And it's not like SSM is at that stage anyway. 150+ of the team are still crunching away at something. Lay-offs like that happen after game ships, not prior to announcement.

And SSM is still hiring anyway. It's not 50 openings, but it's still a decent no.of openings for senior roles.

spoonman

Banned
I just don't get it. When a game like God of War III sells crazy numbers who gets the majority of the money?
Surely the sales from the GOW series alone would keep 250 the people employed at Sony Santa Monica going with modest salaries for years to come.

One of these things is not like the other...
1 Sony sells 4 million PS4 systems in 4 months
2 Santa Monica is hard at work on undisclosed title, hires more employees, moves to bigger office
3 50 people layed off

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

What do we know besides "fifty people laid off"? What was expanded and what positions were let go?

coldone

I just don't get it. When a game like God of War III sells crazy numbers who gets the majority of the money?
Surely the sales from the GOW series alone would keep 250 the people employed at Sony Santa Monica going with modest salaries for years to come.

One of these things is not like the other...
1 Sony sells 4 million PS4 systems in 4 months
2 Santa Monica is hard at work on undisclosed title, hires more employees, moves to bigger office
3 50 people layed off

Probably some external focus group or reviewers werent happy with the direction of the new game. This is happening right after Order 1866 got luke warm reception from press. The new IP could be another 3rd person SP shooter.

Endo Punk

SSM gotta get their shit together. They recently released a video to entice people to join the studio and now they are letting people go and cancelling games.

If the first PS4 game they announce is yet another GOW then this studio is not worth all the praise they get at Gaf.

beril

Cash doesn't make sense as the reason though.

If it was trimming down cost, it would be better to cut 5 heads each from every one of their WWS studio. Or scrap one of the unannounced external development projects.

Cutting 50 people at a go, some who are qualified and experienced enough to be a core creative member of any AAA-title, doesn't make sense if it was cost-measures. This isn't like laying off 30 programming grunts after a project ends, a lot of the talent cut off are not easily replaceable.

And it's not like SSM is at that stage anyway. 150+ of the team are still crunching away at something. Lay-offs like that happen after game ships, not prior to announcement.

And SSM is still hiring anyway. It's not 50 openings, but it's still a decent no.of openings for senior roles.

If you're trying to cut costs then yes cancelling a risky project and laying off the people who're working on it is a pretty effective way.

if the project just isn't working out but you're in a good financial position, it's perfectly possible to shut down a project without laying off people; there's got to be something you can put them to work on within a large company like Sony, until you have new project ready for full production.

And I seriously doubt they're actually hiring right now. Have they posted any job listings since yesterday? Otherwise it doesn't really count

bonus Iwata quote
Iwata said:
If we reduce the number of employees for better short-term financial results, employee morale will decrease. I sincerely doubt employees who fear that they may be laid off will be able to develop software titles that could impress people around the world.
Nintendo cancels projects all the time and they're not in a great position right now, but still have yet to resort to layoffs

Sendou

Nintendo cancels projects all the time and they're not in a great position right now, but still have yet to resort to layoffs

Nintendo is not in a great position but still a lot better off than Sony.

It's not indeed just about lay-offs. The think is that they cancelled the project and got rid off 50 people. That would indicate there won't be any project to replace the cancelled one. That's what makes this event special. Reading this thread it seems like some are honestly thinking they are firing 50 people just to hire 50 more. That's not how it works you know.

This isn't the first time you've pitched your arguments quid-pro-quo, but they aren't wrong, but it's always the same one-sided arguments. Sure, some games were pitched to Harrison and he passed them, but likewise you don't seem to credit Yoshida for stuff that was improved under his tenure. Harrison was only responsible up till the first Uncharted. UC2/3 & TLoU were Shuhei's.

God of War's starting point was also under Shuhei's watch, prior to WWS shuffling. That game was running over-budget, and Shuhei was the one that allowed for it to go on, in spite of that. And speaking of studios floundering under watch, Japan Studio arguably got worse in the period of Harrison's watch. White Knight Chronicles, Eye of Judgement, Kungfu Rider. Shuhei. Post-2011 Japan Studio, which was when Shuhei put Allan in, on the other hand has released games like Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Daze, TJ, Rain, etc. Even the 'I think it was bad' Demon Souls was Shuhei's greenlit project, for what it was worth. Output from Japan Studio had gotten way better since then, only difference is well... Vita games more than consoles.

Not saying Yoshida is great, far from it. He's definitely got his weaknesses, and arguably he should maintain stricter quality control. But Harrison is not as amazing as you make it out to be, or Shuhei as bad as you make him out. Honestly I'd say they're about equal at this point.

The only IP signed by Harrison I see that improved is Uncharted though and I think that would have happened under Harrison anyway. Which others improved under Yoshida? More to the point which IP signed by Yoshida have gotten better?

Yoshida became head of WWS in March 2008, Demon's Souls was released in Feb 2009. I don't think Yoshida was head of WWS when it started production, 11 months seems too quick. Not sure where you got he greenlit it. He did forfeit it though.

Kung fu Rider was likely Yoshida's though as it released in Sep 2010, a year and a half after he took over and Move hadn't even been announced until 2009.

You mention Japan Studio getting better, yet they just put out Knack.

Sony needs some truly compelling games like BF4, Titan Fall, Skyrim, Witcher etc. Their first party studios should be able to create games that wow people than being cheap and efficent,

Isn't that exactly what games like God of War 3, GT5, Journey, Uncharted 2, The Last of Us and Demon's Souls did? Lots of award-winning stuff there. Yeah, they have their misfires, too many perhaps, but they also have those compelling games with a wow factor, as well as more leftfield endeavours.

coldone

Isn't that exactly what games like God of War 3, GT5, Journey, Uncharted 2, The Last of Us and Demon's Souls did? Lots of award-winning stuff there. Yeah, they have their misfires, too many perhaps, but they also have those compelling games with a wow factor, as well as more leftfield endeavours.

They dont have the wide appeal like BF4, COD, Skyrim etc. There is a reason why 3rd party games have consistently outsold 1st party titles on PS3.

Other than GT5, there is not many titles that sold well. Deamon Souls is great title, but you can't have full suit of games that only appeal to a narrow audience.

driver116

They're trimming the fat. The same as thousands of other companies. Why should the games industry be any different?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They're trimming the fat. The same as thousands of other companies. Why should the games industry be any different?

What's different is that this is a 1st party studio during the most successful console launch in history and after just a month ago they were hiring people.

m@cross

Probably a safe bet that the canceled game was either a PS3 or camera based game. They are still working on Vita and PS4 is doing way to well to cancel anything for it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
What's different is that this is a 1st party studio during the most successful console launch in history and after just a month ago they were hiring people.

Well, what positions did they hire for, and what positions were let go?

All anyone knows is "people" were hired and "people" were let go. Not much to go on.

Kyoufu

Probably a safe bet that the canceled game was either a PS3 or camera based game. They are still working on Vita and PS4 is doing way to well to cancel anything for it.

I highly doubt SSM were working on a PS3 game. I'm certain GoW Ascension was their last PS3 project.

And SCEA working on Vita is hard to believe at this point.

Colbert

Banned
With the current business status Sony currently is in they have to cut down workforce somewhere. As long they do this balanced they will have a chance to get the turnaround and later are able to re-hire some of the lost talent. Not the best message to those that lost their jobs but that's how reality is...

They dont have the wide appeal like BF4, COD, Skyrim etc. There is a reason why 3rd party games have consistently outsold 1st party titles on PS3.

Other than GT5, there is not many titles that sold well. Deamon Souls is great title, but you can't have full suit of games that only appeal to a narrow audience.

Not completely fair. Those games you mentioned are on at least 4 different platforms. Other than Halo and some Mario games, I dont know of many exclusive first party games that sell above 3-4 million copies. I at least applaud Sony for having a diverse portfolio even though they won't always have mass appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom