• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: ~50 Layoffs at Sony Santa Monica, Project Canceled [Up2: Was Stig's New IP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two franchises I've absolutely been tired of are Gears of War and God of War and I'm livid that ambitious new IP is being cancelled in favor of them.

Those games could have been bigger than them for all we know and there is no better time to take risks and establish a new IP than early in a generation. Santa Monica and Black Tusk are having talent squandered out of this industry's conservatism.

Gorillaz

Oh didn't know they announced a new GOW.

I mean, were probably getting one soon, let's be honest. It ain't going away.

also to the comment above SSM output and cost is no where near Team Ico's. Ico is a small blip on the radar.

That said it still shouldn't take an entire generation to make one game.

Sydle

it would be 3 if GOW was assumed since it was already Stig's new game and Barlog's new game (i doubt he would return just to make another GOW).

So we'll still get a new IP from SSM, but probably won't see it for a while.

Unfortunate a game was axed, but still something to look forward to from a talented team. I've over God of War, so I'm just excited that they're applying themselves to something else.

Averon

Cancelling projects is one thing. Cancelling a project that has been in planning/development for almost 4 years is weird.

Not if the project was in development hell with no timetable on when it will get done. Not saying that Stig's game was in that state, but that's a plausible answer.

cebri.one

shinobi602 ‏@shinobi602 4 min
What's worse is that it was set to be unveiled at E3. Something massive must have happened. :

Two franchises I've absolutely been tired of are Gears of War and God of War and I'm livid that ambitious new IP is being cancelled in favor of them.

Those games could have been bigger than them for all we know and there is no better time to take risks and establish a new IP than early in a generation. Santa Monica and Black Tusk are having talent squandered out of this industry's conservatism.

Sony doesn't take risk???? Tearaway? Pupeteer? Heavy Rain? Journey??? SOTC? Rime? Soundshapes? Rain?

ReaperXL7

I love how sony cancelled one new ip ,now all of sudden they have no new ip.

Also why in the hell would they announce a new AAA game in February ?

Where was all this hate when ms cancelled black tusk game?

I don't have any plans to ever purchase an Xbone so why the fuck would I care what MS does?

SSM is one of my favorite developers, one that is responsible for one of Sony's most successful franchises. They should be allowed to branch out, but no it's back to God of War for them.

Seeing them get The ax while teams like team ico are allowed to do whatever the fuck they want while not producing anything for an entire generation, and GG producing flopzone , after flopzone is just crazy to me.

I admit that I have an attachment to this studio more then many others so obviously it's going to cloud my judgement. That does not mean it makes any more sense.

No clue. The game was first teased by Stig himself..I think in 2010 E3 pre-show. (might have been 2011) He said something about working on something new and cool etc.

The Ascension teaser is most definitely for a new God of War game ..don't think Stig was working on that but who knows

Not Stig's game is gone
Cory JUST started his project so doubt we will see anything for a long time
Ascension team finished recently too

So no game reveals from Sony Santa Monica for a while it seems like..disappointing

Well, for the project to be in production for four years, only for Sony to pull the plug on it now... maybe it was causing maddening problems or something. It could have been stuck in development hell and some higher-up said "screw this, we don't need another TLG on our hands, especially when this team is triple the size" and made the decision.

Cancelling projects is one thing. Cancelling a project that has been in planning/development for almost 4 years is weird.

A game still being shitty after being in development for that long is even weirder. If it indeed is stig's game like shinobi is saying (and I have no reason to doubt that).

Like I said, they aren't going to shitcan a good game for no reason. Use your head, people.

I know "new IP from ssm" sounds amazing in your head but sometimes a game concept just does not work.

TalonJH

Sadly, I think Sony is tightening their belts and focusing on what they know will sell. Similar to how Black Tusk is now focusing on Gears and not their new IP.

KORNdoggy

You don't just shit can a game that looks awesome, and looks like it'll sell millions. So i'm guessing whatever stig was working on ticked neither of those boxes. Still, i'd have liked to see it for myself first.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't have any plans to ever purchase an Xbone so why the fuck would I care what MS does?

SSM is one of my favorite developers, one that is responsible for one of Sony's most successful franchises. They should be allowed to branch out, but no it's back to God of War for them.
They were allowed, for four years, what more do you want?

Not if the project was in development hell with no timetable on when it will get done. Not saying that Stig's game was in that state, but that's a plausible answer.

IF shinobi is right then it would have been shown at E3 and that could have meant otherwise right.

unless they planned to create a great vertical slice while trying to salvage it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
pardon my ignorance. whose stig and what games has he/she made before?

He headed up GOW III, this was his next project.

IF shinobi is right then it would have been shown at E3 and that could have meant otherwise right.

unless they planned to create a great vertical slice while trying to salvage it.

Showing a game at E3 is never indicative to where the project is currently standing. Ever.

RedAssedApe

Banned
thanks. bummer. i liked that game.

always wonder how much money is blown when projects are cancelled so many years into development :\

Vizzeh

Banned
Sigh. Today I learned that some gaffers think every new IP is magically perfect and awesome and is going to be really good and fun just because, hey, it's a new IP.

A publisher as big as Sony has development houses and offices all over the planet. It's not as simple as "okay, just go next door, we've got a need for a matte painter, magically". And if those Sony owned devs did have a need for anyone, they will advertise it so those afflicted can apply to those other studios. And this usually (and probably is) the case.

Watch this *glimpse* of what developing a new IP is like from one of the most competent developers on the planet. Actually lot of you should watch this, to get again, just a glimpse of the hardships and troubles a new IP runs into, and why not all of them are destined for release.

A game still being shitty after being in development for that long is even weirder. If it indeed is stig's game like shinobi is saying (and I have no reason to doubt that).

Like I said, they aren't going to shitcan a good game for no reason. Use your head, people.

I know "new IP from ssm" sounds amazing in your head but sometimes a game concept just does not work.

The video quoted above that I mentioned earlier gives alot of perspective to your point Mort and is highly recommend on anyone looking insight into the possibility as to why the game may have been canned.

Interfectum

Ugh.

MS cancels new IP to make GoW
Sony cancels new IP to make GoW

ysXd8T7.gif

They should fire the head of the studio not all of those talented people. This is attributed to a lack of proper management.
Good luck to those affected. Land on your feet and in better situations.

#fireSSMHead

B.O.O.M

Can't wait for video leaks.

I actually wouldn't mind never seeing it....I don't need another Eight Days so early in the gen lol

Well, for the project to be in production for four years, only for Sony to pull the plug on it now... maybe it was causing maddening problems or something. It could have been stuck in development hell and some higher-up said "screw this, we don't need another TLG on our hands, especially when this team is triple the size" and made the decision.

yep but four years tho? If it was going through such development issues then something should have been done way earlier. These days teams make games in 2-3 years and SSM has all the resources they need. This sound like a huge waste of money and time in the end. And again I'm not saying Shuhei is to be blamed alone but he has part of the responsibility

and yeah TLG is a different thing as you say since the team size is much smaller

it sucks..I really wanted to see some major new IP from SSM this year at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom