• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: ~50 Layoffs at Sony Santa Monica, Project Canceled [Up2: Was Stig's New IP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elios83

Really disappointing news but no one cancels a project that is amazing and coming along so well.
There must be strong reasons behind the decision and we don't know them,so acting like "the bad guys at the management killed the dream" is a bit naive.

Loudninja

SCEJ:
Getting there, however, won't be that easy. Becker, who has been at the studio for two and half years, inherited something of a mess. "The thing I was shocked by was the number of titles in production," he said of when he first arrived. "That completely blew my mind." At that time, there were 40-something titles in production, and the environment was, what Becker called, "a free-for-all."
When Becker came back, there were over 40 titles in development at the Japan Studio. Becker had to make the tough calls.P

"In some sense, it was great that everyone got to do what they wanted to, and there was this sense of a creative playground," said Becker. "And nothing was getting done. And nothing was selling."P

Becker stopped. He said he didn't want to get "too negative." He was not sugarcoating, and this wasn't typical video game PR speak. He explained the situation that he walked into. His honesty was refreshing.P
http://kotaku.com/how-sonys-most-creative-studio-rose-from-the-ashes-1458030068

Carl

Another GoW game was happening regardless of whether this new IP happened. I can't understand how people say a new IP was cancelled in favour of God of War.

Raonak

Banned
New IP cancelled in favor of yet another GOW and probably another existing franchise sequel. This is certainly not the way to bring confidence to those wondering where the PS4 games are.

Sony saying absolutely silent on anything not named Infamous or Order doesn't help matters.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Driveclub cancelled at this point. We know about as much about DC as we did this new IP

Wut...We have lots of driveclub footage, trailers and it's been demoed multiple times. new IP hasnt even been leaked, let alone revealed.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The team sizes vary. I'm aware. Still the other point stands: do you think they would let all the talent working on the game walk just because they cancelled the game they were working on?

Given all the projects they have going on, and that it's such a small team, it wouldn't surprise me if that was a very large majority from the project. But we don't know.

FiggyCal

Banned
Really disappointing news but no one cancels a project that is amazing and coming along so well.
There must be strong reasons behind the decision and we don't know them,so acting like "the bad guys at the management killed the dream" is a bit naive.

The game had been in development for 4 years of development and still wasn't finished. And the staff size grew 82% in the span of 4 years. There's no way that the studio could have sustained itself. Sometimes you have to cut your losses. It sucks that 50 people lost their job and the project cancelled, but it is the reality of business. They have to stay profitable somehow.

Interfectum

Wow that sucks. If they cancelled a new IP and laid off 50 people just to focus on another GoW title, I'm going to be really bummed out.

The project probably wasn't looking hot and, as a side benefit, they could use the remaining staff from that team for an all-hands-on-deck in getting the next God of War out for Christmas.

You guys are talking as if there is a new GoW in development, like it's confirmed. Is this the case or just an assumption?

It is a bummer if that is what we are getting and a new ip has been cancelled.

Stig has been working on it for four years right? Either way, they pretty much just threw a ton of money away. Those 50 people weren't just sitting on their asses all day.

Maybe the money they would need to toss at it to make it better outweighted the money already spent.

I mean theoretically if you had to chose between killing a project and writing it off as a loss or doubling the budget and hoping it works out what do you do? Sony has tossed a lot of money at a lot of hope over the years (TLG, GT5). Maybe this is a sign of them being a bit more realistic with how they fund stuff.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The Stig IP? because they started it right after gow 3
Development cycle is not: nothing -> production -> launch, though.

Stig has been working on it for four years right? Either way, they pretty much just threw a ton of money away. Those 50 people weren't just sitting on their asses all day.
I think those 50 people were sitting on their asses all day, except for the ones with standing desks or the ones walking from meeting to meeting.

The project was probably axed by the studio head when it came to decide what game to actually take into full production by the studio.

We don't even know about what the make up of the 50 affected people are, they could also have been 30 QA people that were made redundant by streamlining in Foster City.

StuBurns

Banned
Well there's also no reason to think they were working on this for four years either.

Maybe Stig, an Art Director and a couple of technical staff were working on it for a year or so, and it staffed up slowly. Four years of fifty people is a lot, but it could have been considerably smaller than that. It might have only staffed up once Ascension shipped.

Another GoW game was happening regardless of whether this new IP happened. I can't understand how people say a new IP was cancelled in favour of God of War.
what did you expect? hyperbole and ignorance is running rampant in this thread. so many people blaming the next closest game associated with the company.

No! Seriously? Why would Sony cancel Stig's IP, it surely had to be coming along nicely enough for them to consider going to a new (bigger) facility....I was really looking forward to it

At least they have another one in development.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No! Seriously? Why would Sony cancel Stig's IP, it surely had to be coming along nicely enough for them to consider going to a new (bigger) facility....I was really looking forward to it

Well normally the reason why people cancel IPs is because they're not coming along nicely enough :p

The total lack of marketing support from Sony also helped those games to fail.

I don't disagree with that at all.

In fact, Starhawk was one of my favorite shooters last gen. It's small player base was a huge bummer. After 2 months there was usually one game going and it wasn't the game type I preferred :/

Sony want SSM to turn into ND with how there are run and i can't blame them .
ND are 250 people now but they also have the ICE team since the PS2 era they have brought out 4 games and 5th one next year over 20 million sales in house .
SSM had 220 people and since the PS2 era they brought out 2 games ( one that did not do great ) and help with many that under perform less that 10 million in sales in house .
People talk about PD but they now only have 140 people and since the PS2 era they have brought out GT PSP , GT5P , GT5 , GT6 with sales near 20 million all done in house .

If it was four years that's part of the problem. A game shouldn't take that long to make with a staff that big. These companies need to learn to be more efficient. Implement some six sigma devices up in there

DieH@rd

Banned
He was rumored to be making this new IP for years now. If sony kicked him out, project must have been going very slowly or going nowhere. Sony has cleared a lot of dead weight in SCEJ, maybe it was time to do the same in SMM.

I'm not particulary mad that the project was canned. A lot of games get canceled, 99% with good reason. Sucks that 50 people lost jobs, but that's nothing new in this [and any other] industry.

Well normally the reason why people cancel IPs is because they're not coming along nicely enough :p

*Sad face* We'll never know what this means, will we:

gowa12.jpg

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
The head of SSM makes the calls on the projects and who gets hired and fired. Yoshida is her boss but she, and other proven studios within Sony, are given autonomy.
People mad at Yoshida or think this has to do with God of war are off the mark.
Sometimes a project is just bad and needs to be canceled. It sucks, and it absolutely sucks for the people let go... but there is so much irrational nonsense in this thread. If a game gets canned there is usually a good reason for it. It's not like the game was awesome and Yoshida walked in and said "ascension sold like shit, cancel this awesome game, and you guys are fired."
Seems this hasn't been quoted enough really. It's completely disappointing that apparently it wasn't coming together. Y'all gotta trust them on that one. You don't cancel good games. Though, I've never been a fan of letting sunk cost be sunk cost, but then again, I've never managed a multi-million dollar entity.
The total lack of marketing support from Sony also helped those games to fail.
I liked those games, but Marketing =/= Sales.

Samyy

If it was four years that's part of the problem. A game shouldn't take that long to make with a staff that big. These companies need to learn to be more efficient. Implement some six sigma devices up in there

We'll its not like their trying to pump out some standard commodity type products like COD

Salex_

You guys are talking as if there is a new GoW in development, like it's confirmed. Is this the case or just an assumption?

It is a bummer if that is what we are getting and a new ip has been cancelled.

A few people said the new IP was canceled for another GOW and others picked it up. It's a big problem that needs to be fixed IMO. Making shit up with no sources only creates misconceptions.

The project probably wasn't looking hot and, as a side benefit, they could use the remaining staff from that team for an all-hands-on-deck in getting the next God of War out for Christmas.

Christmas this year? Lol. They just rehired Barlog and started creating the team. It's years away.

And stig wasn't fired. What's to say he doesn't lead another project, with different and possibly more talented people?

I mean if we are going to make assumptions can we make some reasonable ones as well?

daman824

Maybe the money they would need to toss at it to make it better outweighted the money already spent.

I mean theoretically if you had to chose between killing a project and writing it off as a loss or doubling the budget and hoping it works out what do you do? Sony has tossed a lot of money at a lot of hope over the years (TLG, GT5). Maybe this is a sign of them being a bit more realistic with how they fund stuff.
I never said anything about it being the wrong decision financially, I'm just saying another god of war game is a good bet. And will probably help Sony recover any losses they might have had because of this.

But I guess that's "controversial".

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
He was rumored to be making this new IP for years now. If sony kicked him out, project must have been going very slowly or going nowhere. Sony has cleared a lot of dead weight in SCEJ, maybe it was time to do the same in SMM.

I'm not particulary mad that the project was canned. A lot of games get canceled, 99% with good reason. Sucks that 50 people lost jobs, but that's nothing new in this [and any other] industry.

The fact that they never even teased this game suggests a turbulent development cycle.

I mean, look at Agent.

MYE

As someone who lost interest in the franchise halfway through GOW3, I cant say I'm happy at the idea of a GOW focused SSM. Not at all.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I am bummed when the next project revealed by Santa Monica is another God of War.

I know that even a shitty sci-fi game would have been better for my taste. ;-)

I mean, look at Agent.
What about it? It's going wonderful. Don't you dare say anything more!

Gorillaz

I don't disagree with that at all.

In fact, Starhawk was one of my favorite shooters last gen. It's small player base was a huge bummer. After 2 months there was usually one game going and it wasn't the game type I preferred :/

I liked Starhawk alot.

I was honestly heated that it didn't get any marketing what so ever. Ironically that team got shit canned as well

farmerboy

Overall, this is shitty news. Hope Stig still has his job, I think he did a great job with GOW3 and deserves his chance to deliver. However, in saying that something must have been wrong so we have to trust Sony management on this. It's just disappointing that it takes 3 or 4 odd years to make a call on a project, you would have to assume they gave it every chance. Let's spare a thought for Stig and the other guys on the project, this would be very deflating for them - I hope they bounce back, too good a crew to be down for too long, hopefully.

If this means we get another GOW than so be it, a reboot with RPG elements could work magnificently and personally I would love top see a ps4 incarnation some day.

Making games is haarrd, as is anything in life worth doing, sometimes you gotta roll with the punches.

Go SSM!

Averon

At least they have another one in development.

What makes you assume that? It's quite possible that the game was in development hell. There's no evidence to suggest the project was moving along swimmingly. Hell, the fact that they canceled it after 4 years' worth of resources were already put into it would strongly suggest the opposite.

You don't cancel projects that's moving along well and 4 years' worth of time, money, and resources were already sunk into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom