• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: ~50 Layoffs at Sony Santa Monica, Project Canceled [Up2: Was Stig's New IP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonNite

Was the original version the clip of the torch holding game when the Move was revealed?

Yep, that was the original vision. Now it's horrific (in a good way)

I was watching the MWC show... they've gotten all you Sony employees hooked up with those lifelog bracelets and spy cameras, huh.

Can't even enjoy a number 2 quietly

But hype is all there is. It's the energy that sustains all of us.

Hype is self made and most of the time ends in disappointment

injurai

Banned
I'm a gamer as well and would love to see games make it through to the end but sometimes I understand why some are canned for business reasons. Everyone using TLOU as an example have to know that something special was seen very early on in development and it paid off. If a project fails to impress after years of work... well.

Certainly make sense.

Maybe you could give a bit of insight. But assuming this wasn't cancelled they would have continued working on the project for a while yet more. Maybe this was just the end of the budgetary road. But It seems to be the team could be given the opportunity to start on a new project. Maybe something with a shorter dev time, It just seems like a big lose to let all that talent slip away.

How many people from the canned project were kept and moved onto the other teams?

4RUIc8W.jpg
What a turnaround there as well. MS is the leaking ship now while Sony is tight. Complete turnaround from last gen where everything leaked in advance of E3 ;)

Yep, that was the original vision. Now it's horrific (in a good way)

Hype is self made and most of the time ends in disappointment
You are such a downer. But at least Until Dawn still exists :)

Being cross-gen doesn't mean anything.

If you're making an exclusive, and your publisher is co-marketing a huge budget game from a team with the best track record of console first person shooters, you're in a bad situation. Destiny is going to be a colossal hit, there is no question. To match it in scope, but to PS4 exclusive standards, would cost even more, add to that the fact that it would be the team's first console shooter, not their sixth.

All of that is even assuming the game was actually good, which we have no way of knowing.

Was the original version the clip of the torch holding game when the Move was revealed?
Err, that's the whole point of a new IP for a big team. There is a bigger risk/win ratio. If you can't handle making a new IP because it's too risky, that doesn't make it a valid excuse.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's PS4 now I assume? VR? Give us a little sumthin' sumthin'
It's now a third person action adventure space bounty hunter game where the title of the game is about the timed challenges that come with turning in a bounty.

At least that's what I'm hoping.

Err, that's the whole point of a new IP for a big team. There is a bigger risk/win ratio. If you can't handle making a new IP because it's too risky, that doesn't make it a valid excuse.

Except that Sony gave them time to do that, even after Destiny was revealed, based on EC's chronology of events.

Sony could've pulled the plug on Stig's IP back when the first Destiny details was unveiled, but they didn't, because they took the risk of hoping Stig could differentiate his title given extra time... which seems to have not worked out.

AngryMoth

Man, really sad news. I can't imagine how much it must suck to work on something for 4 years only to come in to work one day and be told the project is canned and you're being let go.

I seriously hope SSM isn't going to just make another GoW, Sony needs to stop relying on franchises that have already peaked and make some new IPs.

You don't ask an employee to "leak" something. If anything ask him for a riddle or a nice bedtime story. You might have more success in getting something substantial :D
I was just joking with him, lol. I don't wanna get our only trustworthy insider from Sony to be in trouble. :p

Maybe I missed it, but do we have confirmation that is was an FPS?
If it was canned because it was similar to Destiny, my bet is that it could be an FPS. But we don't have an official confirmation of it.

Andrés Scianca ‏@Andrescianca 3h

@jonathanhawkins can you say if the new IP if it was first person or third person? thaks man.

jonathanhawkins ‏@jonathanhawkins 2h

@Andrescianca Sorry, I can't say much.

StuBurns

Banned
Sony needs to stop relying on franchises that have already peaked and make some new IPs.
Of the fifteen released or announced PS4 games published by Sony, nine are original IP, I'd almost argue it should be considered ten, because Shadow of the Beast is so old, but that's another debate.

Freeman

Banned
If it was canned because it was similar to Destiny, my bet is that it could be an FPS. But we don't have an official confirmation of it.

That's what I got as well, yet people post as if it was fact. More likely it was similar to Destiny in the sense if was a Sci-fi, as it was rumored.

That's what I got as well, yet people post as if it was fact. More likely it was similar to Destiny in the sense if was a Sci-fi, as it was rumored.

And what was widely conjectured to have the following aspects as well:
- shooter ( no idea if TPS or FPS)
- vehicle traversal
- open world

injurai

Banned
Man, really sad news. I can't imagine how much it must suck to work on something for 4 years only to come in to work one day and be told the project is canned and you're being let go.

I seriously hope SSM isn't going to just make another GoW, Sony needs to stop relying on franchises that have already peaked and make some new IPs.

There are plenty of games I wish weren't eating up the time of developers. But I understand those games have fans, and they want new entries. God of War is a game what I want. It's not like SSM wasn't also trying to get a new IP going. Just because a 'game y' is 'not game x' does not mean you are going to automatically like it. I don't understand the thought that other people should be denied a certain beloved series, especially when a new IP is in the works. Yes this IP just got canned, but that doesn't change anything in regards what Sony should be doing. This franchise doesn't need to have peaked, and even if it did there are plenty of fans who come back. The last game wasn't even a numbered title, people always go nuts to see an IPs homecoming in the next-generation.

StuBurns

Banned
The last game wasn't even a numbered title, people always go nuts to see an IPs homecoming in the next-generation.
I have mixed feelings about it, I think 3 was weak, and Ascension was actively bad, and while Barlog did direct the best entry, obviously games are the collective works of a significant number of people, just his return isn't an indication we'll see a return to GoW2's quality. However, I think everyone is going to lose their shit when it's first shown.

Sony and SSM must know they can't do another Angry-Kratos-Murdering-Greek-Gods experience, I think they'll have to present something very different, and if they do, just the fact it bares God of War branding isn't going to upset anyone.

Suzzopher

Just the thought of working on something for so long and having it amount to nothing is absolutely devastating. :(

Yeah it sucks, but it happens so often, the worst times are when you are working on something you think is cool and never gets announced and then cancelled before anyone else sees it :(

I do love how people are thinking Microsoft will just snap up these developers, they'll have to go through a lengthy employment process the same as anybody else and then there is no guarantee they'll get jobs with Microsoft.

Best of luck to those who are now out of work, hope you go on to bigger and better things!

AngryMoth

Of the fifteen released or announced PS4 games published by Sony, nine are original IP, I'd almost argue it should be considered ten, because Shadow of the Beast is so old, but that's another debate.
They're mostly smaller projects though. Their big name studios have been making sequels. This is a controversial statement I know but I'd think they'd have been better off with 3 new IPs than another killzone, infamous and uncharted. But this thread isn't the best place for that discussion.

what?

hype alone does not decide if a game should be completed or not.

If a game isn't working out it's not working out. Releasing a game based on "hype" is suicide and would cause more damage in the long term.

I'm a gamer as well and would love to see games make it through to the end but sometimes I understand why some are canned for business reasons. Everyone using TLOU as an example have to know that something special was seen very early on in development and it paid off. If a project fails to impress after years of work... well.

However, another option for some projects (like Until Dawn) is to give it to another pair of hands with a fresh new look. But I don't see that happening here.

This really should be common sense, but here we are, and people are overreacting "omg, arrogant sony is back, no more new ips!!!" and spreading false information.

Kind of agree here. Stig delivered it with God of War 3 but beyond that, his career hasn't really taken off much. He was Lead Environment Artist on God of War 1, Art Director on God of War 2, and then ended as Creative Director on God of War 3. For a new ambitious AAA IP, he sure had a lot to prove, and i think Sony realized that the IP was just not so good and canned it. It doesn't mean he is a failure or anything like that, but his efforts should be best utilized elsewhere.

I wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

If we went by that kind of logic, Neil Druckmann would seem like a flash in a pan than a genuine talent. He started out at Naughty Dog as some sort of UI designer before progressing onto game designer. With Uncharted 2, he was lead game designer with Richard Lemarchand and then headed up the TLOU team with Straley as its creative director (this is only off the top of my head from an IdleThumbs podcast with Steve Gaynor of The Fullbright Company that I highly recommend everyone checks out if not already).

Maybe I'm misconstruing your post (and apologies if so), but by that comparison, you may as well say Druckmann's career hasn't taken off as much neither after just one game.

Freeman

Banned
what?

If a game isn't working out it's not working out. Releasing a game based on "hype" is suicide and would cause more damage in the long term.

However, another option for some projects (like Until Dawn) is to give it to another pair of hands with a fresh new look. But I don't see that happening here.

Did I say that hype alone should decide it? All I said is that for me a new IP, regardless of what it was, is still more interesting than the seventh sequel to game.

StuBurns

Banned
They're mostly smaller projects though. Their big name studios have been making sequels. This is a controversial statement I know but I'd think they'd have been better off with 3 new IPs than another killzone, infamous and uncharted. But this thread isn't the best place for that discussion.
I think new IP is often something of a red-herring. What is a new IP? Every Final Fantasy takes place in an entirely new universe, with new characters, greater variations in game design than between God of War entries, and no one seems to mind at all. Far Cry is one of Ubisoft's biggest bets for this generation, they intend to make it a frequent release, and huge seller, but none of the first three have much in common at all really, and if the rumours of 4 I've heard are correct, it's even further detached.

IP is just branding at this point within the game industry. God of War 4 could be anything as long as it's a character action game where scope of enemies in battle is an element, and it's from Sony.

injurai

Banned
I have mixed feelings about it, I think 3 was weak, and Ascension was actively bad, and while Barlog did direct the best entry, obviously games are the collective works of a significant number of people, just his return isn't an indication we'll see a return to GoW2's quality. However, I think everyone is going to lose their shit when it's first shown.

Sony and SSM must know they can't do another Angry-Kratos-Murdering-Greek-Gods experience, I think they'll have to present something very different, and if they do, just the fact it bares God of War branding isn't going to upset anyone.

I thought GoW3 was an immaculate game. Everything about it was sleek, I loved how the story played out. I take the stance that the series story, and how it is conveyed through the levels and set pieces is equatable to a greek epic depicting various feats. I love the story, not only from the narrative, but from the in-game conveyance of these feats and trials.

GoW3 was like the pinnacle of all the culminating feats, I loved how it started right after 2, and the game was just this perfectly paced roller coaster ride. I even enjoyed the labyrinth section.

If we are talking about gameplay it was the strongest I would say of the games as well. Now Ascension was interesting. A lot of great moments, but it felt odd to being doing all these epic things before GoW1, the combat was really refined and felt great but it game maybe a few two many ways to grapple opponents which made things a bit less strenuous and challenging while fighting fodder.

It's my opinion, but I think 3 was great. Felt just how I would want a titled entry to feel. But I can understand people wanting to have had things shaken up way back then, and then to get Ascension... those people must be hungry for something new.

Freeman

Banned
I think new IP is often something of a red-herring. What is a new IP? Every Final Fantasy takes place in an entirely new universe, with new characters, greater variations in game design than between God of War entries, and no one seems to mind at all. Far Cry is one of Ubisoft's biggest bets for this generation, they intend to make it a frequent release, and huge seller, but none of the first three have much in common at all really, and if the rumours of 4 I've heard are correct, it's even further detached.

IP is just branding at this point within the game industry. God of War 4 could be anything as long as it's a character action game where scope of enemies in battle is an element, and it's from Sony.
In the GoW franchise it would be the first time.

The idea of IPs as just branding an not necessarily a direct continuation of the story and structure of previous entries is much more attractive to me.

Maybe I'm misconstruing your post (and apologies if so), but by that comparison, you may as well say Druckmann's career hasn't taken off as much neither after just one game.
Both Bruce Straley and Druckmann got their fame from UC 2. They proved it again with TLOU.

I wasn't trying to downplay Stig's achievements. But whenever we heard of this new IP, it was always like "Stig's New IP" and it definitely felt like a huge responsibility on its own for him.

EL CUCO

Man only inFAMOUS SS can save me from this sadness right now. I would've bought both SSM's SciFi and Destiny.

But I have complete confidence in Sony for the long haul.

DemonNite

Did I say that hype alone should decide it? All I said is that for me a new IP, regardless of what it was, is still more interesting than the seventh sequel to game.

new IP or not new IP, if the game isn't impressing the right people it will not be worth finishing, from their point of view :) no one is confirming if they will all work on GoW now. What if its trying out another stab at another new IP?

...and of course Sony do know what hype is surrounding their projects. Devs and other people will know what is going on.

Not exactly "self" made, Mr. Demon's Souls 2.

I have no idea what you're talking about :)

andycapps

what?

Seems like they might still be able to take elements of what was working and start over with that. Or is it best to just wipe everything clean and start with a blank slate on the next project?

geordiemp

If they do another fixed camera like GOW or Knack then there is no hope, Its a bit too Ps2 era for me.

Give us a true 3rd person GOW with a camera system like ninja gaiden series and all would be sweet.

wow i did not expect that :p

Time for you to get that "Mr. Negativity" tag back! :p

Sad to hear about this. I feel like GoW got progressively more hard for me to play due to the graphic nature of its violence, but it was always well made and controlled well. Hope these folks all land on their feet.

geordiemp

I really think it is starting to benefit MS and detrimental to Sony in 2014 - at the moment they have released PVZ and next titanfall, they talk big about Halo 5 / Sunset / Crackdown 3 etc etc

WE are getting nothing at all from Sony, not even about Ps4 versions of recent new games like GranT and TLOU...just stone silence.

I think Sony can be too quiet about whats coming and will let MS back in the race....I have noted many similar comments recently..

The only Sony news is laying people off and stores shutting...

Man, they sure do love to hate on us anymore. It is not like everyone in this thread hates Cory- I think most of us are glad he came back. I think Jett was the only hater here. I've tried my best not to offend anyone from Sony/Santa Monica while posting my thoughts in this thread out of respect.

I just wish these guys could have all gotten jobs elsewhere within Sony. In fact, I still hope some of the other studios within Sony try to reach out to them.

SOE got lucky cause Planetside 2 is also a Destiny clone

But i havent seen any epic 500 players battle in Destiny yet

Was wondering about that too. Even if they didn't see Destiny coming they also had PS2 coming to PS4 and one would cannibalize the other. Sounds like a complete clusterfuck. Without seeing any footage of the game it's kind of hard to gauge what exactly they had though.

IT WOULD BE UNFORTUNATE IF SOMEONE FROM SSM READING THIS THREAD LEAKED SOMETHING OF THE GAME ANONYMOUSLY ON YOUTUBE.

StuBurns

Banned
If they do another fixed camera like GOW or Knack then there is no hope, Its a bit too Ps2 era for me.

Give us a true 3rd person GOW with a camera system like ninja gaiden series and all would be sweet.
They wouldn't do it but I'd personally like camera control. The PSP games with rolls being shoulder taps along with your left stick is already better than using the second stick.

Some of them yes, but not everyone is. Media Molecule is working on a new IP. Quantic Dream is. Guerilla Games is now. Japan probably is. Evolution has DriveClub. RaD has Order. Neil Druckmann considers making another new IP.
They are coming dude.

Bundy

Banned
I really think it is starting to benefit MS and detrimental to Sony in 2014 - at the moment they have released PVZ and next titanfall, they talk big about Halo 5 / Sunset / Crackdown 3 etc etc

WE are getting nothing at all from Sony, not even about Ps4 versions of recent new games like GranT and TLOU...just stone silence.

I think Sony can be too quiet about whats coming and will let MS back in the race....I have noted many similar comments recently..

Yeah, we only heard stuff about....

- MLB - The Show
- The Order: 1886
- New inFamous footage/informations
- HELLDIVERS
- Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition
- VR headset rumors
- new VITA stuff (games/model, etc.)

.... from Sony.
Clearly not enough for the first 1 1/2 months in 2014....!

And MS talks big about Crackdown 3 and Sunset Overdrive?
Must have missed the announcement of Crackdown and the new footage of Crackdown and Sunset Overdrive.
Could you provide my a link, please :)

StuBurns

Banned

Sony can't make enough PS4s, there's no reason for them to excite the audience until they meet demand.

TitanFall is really MS's only huge exclusive this year, and the bundle isn't even preordering as high as the InFamous bundle.

Sony has nothing to worry about, and if they really are revealing VR in two weeks, they're going to hurt MS further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom