• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: ~50 Layoffs at Sony Santa Monica, Project Canceled [Up2: Was Stig's New IP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget Stig was the art director on the first two games. GoW3 was the second best game in the series in my opinion (After 2).

This is what's so fucking stupid. I hate when people shit on Pappy and Stig's GOW, yet they were team leaders from the very first game, but Barlog is the man because he made the "best" one, as if he didn't have an existing template to build off of. I think Jaffe deserves the most credit for conceiving the idea for the series in the first place (and the first GOW remains my favorite), but obviously all four of those guys as well as the rest of SSM were important to the series.

Corpsepyre

Banned
For whatever its worth.
c8ArZhd.jpg

Hmm, Ok. I doubt they'd come out and say 'Yeah, our game was a lot like that other game, so that's why it was cancelled', but this is interesting nonetheless. I feel we might never know what happened at SSM and why the game was really cancelled and people laid off.

StuBurns

Banned
This is what's so fucking stupid. I hate when people shit on Pappy and Stig's GOW, yet they were team leaders from the very first game, but Barlog is the man because he made the "best" one, as if he didn't have an existing template to build off of. I think Jaffe deserves the most credit for conceiving the idea for the series in the first place (and the first GOW remains my favorite), but obviously all four of those guys as well as the rest of SSM were important to the series.
What difference does that make though?

Because GoW2's art direction is impeccable, I can't make fun of Guitar Hero mini games?

viveks86

So basically the rumored story from EatChildren is false?

There is definitely stuff in there that makes sense. Doesn't make it true, though. For all we know, the rest of team is already working on another ip (as demonnite hinted) and not GoW. Thanks Cory! I just wasted my evening processing and accepting that rocket + chainsaw = sense!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If it's false, it's false. Not like I made it up. If Cory wants to be included in the report, he's welcome.

Guymelef

There is definitely stuff in there that makes sense. Doesn't make it true, though. For all we know, the rest of team is already working on another ip (as demonnite hinted) and not GoW. Thanks Cory! I just wasted my evening processing and accepting that rocket + chainsaw = sense!

I miss that, where?

MLB - come on, Im UK, its like me telling you there is a good cricket game where you can set slips and rotate silly mid point and choose mid off or midd on to your bowling line. (if you get my point)........

Helldivers - top down shooter - looks like an indie game / dead nation - flew well under my radar...is it a PSN game ?

Europeans may not care for baseball, but regardless, MLB is still one of the bigger exclusives from Sony's line-up. It may not cater to you, but that doesn't exclude Sony talking about the game and pushing it.

Helldivers, PSN, yes. Hohokum as well. Both are Sony-published 'indie' titles, and part of their 2014 line-up.

And of course, there is The Order, where they've just showed gameplay recently. Also, inFamous as well.

They've also talked about some Vita games, some other non first-party indies, but the 5 games above are what Sony's been talking most about in recent months.

Denzar

Cory Barlog is back at SSM? I thought he was working on a Mad Max project with George Miller?

It also breaks my heart that Stig's project got cancelled. Another new IP bites the dust. I want to see SSM do something differently from GoW and supporting other first party devs.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I was just joking with him, lol. I don't wanna get our only trustworthy insider from Sony to be in trouble. :p

If it was canned because it was similar to Destiny, my bet is that it could be an FPS. But we don't have an official confirmation of it.

It was third person. I heard a couple tidbits about it a couple weeks ago, which is why I was so shocked initially when it got cancelled and the studio got downsized. Looking back it kind of makes sense because the info I got didn't hype the game much, just mentioned that it was sci-fi, was supposed to be unveiled at E3, and the main thing they talked up was the UI. It sounds like most of the work and promise went into the UI. I don't know about any similarities to Destiny.

I usually go out of my way to avoid talking about the very few things in the industry I come across, I care about my account too much and it's usually minor stuff, but since this was cancelled, I'm not too worried about Bish's hammer. Now I'm joining everyone else in wanting to hear about some new games from Sony. A new IP from SSM was one of the main things I was looking forward to and knowing that it was supposed to be shown at E3 led me to believe it wasn't too far off. Sounds like that wasn't the case at this point.

StuBurns

Banned
I hope Barlog spills the beans eventually, he announced DualShock3 and GoW3 like it was nothing, he's hardly a stickler for NDA.

Mondy

Banned
I wish someone at Sony would cut the shit and just come out and explain why it was cancelled and why another God of War is necessary, especially after Ascension.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wish someone at Sony would cut the shit and just come out and explain why it was cancelled and why another God of War is necessary, especially after Ascension.

A new mythology and setting could do wonders for the GoW franchise. I'd be absolutely floored if they used Greek again.

He actually told was the one that me a while ago but I've since heard the same from a couple other places. Just funny timing with his tweet.

But your source said that the stuff cancelled was in early pre-production, whereas shinobi said the project was quite a fair way in, I recall.

Sid

The project's canned anyway so SSM should just spill the beans,their ideas will be everywhere now with those people fired.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
But your source said that the stuff cancelled was in early pre-production, whereas shinobi said the project was quite a fair way in, I recall.

Whatever.

Different person, I don't know what was up with that. Not really going to try talking to them any more. I don't have any clout or many connections in the industry and sometimes people have given me bad info, another part of the reason why I don't share much. What I did share in the past few pages, I'm very confident of because multiple, credible people have told me.

Sid

Barlog,you're reading this yet you don't have an account here,why?seriously,don't be a pussy and spill the beans.

wapplew

Any new IP get cancel is sad.
But If you let me choose between another shooter or character action game, I'll choose the later.
Still, I hope SMM remain two project studio instead of one.

Freeman

Banned
But you said it sounds great based on being third person and having a projected UI.

It could be the Avatar video game by that criteria.

Than the Avatar game sounds great. DS UI was great and SM has enough history to allow for a little bit of trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom