• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Bionicle Heroes review

castle007

Banned

8.0 Presentation
The Bionicle world, built on nearly nonsensical Polynesian proper nouns and plastic fighting cyborgs, comes through here in a great representation.
9.0 Graphics

Very impressive 3D work, with no slowdown or framerate drops at all. The limitations of the DS match perfectly with the angular LEGO character design.

8.0 Sound
Atmospheric and mood-setting, the music will catch your attention from the moment you turn the power on.
7.5 Gameplay

First-person shooter action that controls well, though not as accurately as its DS genre companion. Metroid Prime: Hunters fans will still be able to dive right in, though.

7.5 Lasting Appeal
No Wi-Fi and no single card multiplayer is a blow, but not a crippling one. The main adventure is lengthy, and there are numerous extras and cheats to unlock

http://ds.ign.com/articles/749/749876p1.html

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Ravager61 said:
wow.... good score

still not gonna buy it
What he said.

[Except the score isn't that great for gameplay either, Eragon looks better gameplay wise]

adg1034

Might have to get my brother to get this; actually sounds promising. It's a Traveller's Tales game, so it should be good, right? Right?

It was a freelancer review. Read this dude's past reviews before taking anything he says too seriously.

The guy writes like a high school cheerleader, and he recently gave That's So Raven DS a 7.5. And, no, I'm not joking (about either claim).

---

For proof, consider a quote from the guy's recent That's So Raven review: "A fashion mode is nothing new, as several other recent DS licensed games aimed at a young female audience have included something similar. But in That's So Raven the feature is much more satisfying, simply because your designs actually appear on Raven as she runs around completing the main adventure. She's displayed too small on the screen to appreciate the fine detail in your pattern work, but you know it's there."

That's right. You heard it hear first. The design feature in TSR for DS is "much more satisfying" than other designing games, because you actually get to see your designs on Raven as she runs around! Awesome.

Except, you don't. Because, in the next sentence, Captain Genius tells us that "she's displayed too small on the screen" to see the detail. So, wait, what the shit? What was that thing about the game being better *because* you could see your designs? He doesn't skip a beat when he transitions awkwardly from praising the game for being one of the few to properly include the feature, to mentioning off-hand that the feature is broken. Um, insane contradiction much?

Good thing that you "know it's there", even though you can't see it. TSR encourages us to use our imaginations not only to design clothes, but also to envision seeing our designs!

The guy's an idiot.

DJLanglois said:
It was a freelancer review. Read this dude's past reviews before taking anything he says too seriously.

The guy writes like a high school cheerleader, and he recently gave That's So Raven DS a 7.5. And, no, I'm not joking (about either claim).

---

For proof, consider a quote from the guy's recent That's So Raven review: "A fashion mode is nothing new, as several other recent DS licensed games aimed at a young female audience have included something similar. But in That's So Raven the feature is much more satisfying, simply because your designs actually appear on Raven as she runs around completing the main adventure. She's displayed too small on the screen to appreciate the fine detail in your pattern work, but you know it's there."

That's right. You heard it hear first. The design feature in TSR for DS is "much more satisfying" than other designing games, because you actually get to see your designs on Raven as she runs around! Awesome.

Except, you don't. Because, in the next sentence, Captain Genius tells us that "she's displayed too small on the screen" to see the detail. So, wait, what the shit? What was that thing about the game being better *because* you could see your designs? He doesn't skip a beat when he transitions awkwardly from praising the game for being one of the few to properly include the feature, to mentioning off-hand that the feature is broken. Um, insane contradiction much?

Good thing that you "know it's there", even though you can't see it. TSR encourages us to use our imaginations not only to design clothes, but also to envision seeing our designs!

The guy's an idiot.

Chill out. Even Jeff Gerstmann doesn't deserve that kind of hatred.

Aristotlekh said:
Chill out. Even Jeff Gerstmann doesn't deserve that kind of hatred.

Hahah. Yeah. I probably shouldn't have called him an idiot. Everything else, though, is pretty fair.

Gerstmann's not that bad, man. Yeah, he talks a huge amount of smack, and his opinions are too often strictly 'Good' or 'Bad'... but, he is nice enough seeming. And he is a half-way decent writer, which says something int he field of VG journalism.

DJLanglois said:
Hahah. Yeah. I probably shouldn't have called him an idiot. Everything else, though, is pretty fair.

Gerstmann's not that bad, man. Yeah, he talks a huge amount of smack, and his opinions are too often strictly 'Good' or 'Bad'... but, he is nice enough seeming. And he is a half-way decent writer, which says something int he field of VG journalism.

All I really mean is that he's not really writing for the same audience as you. He's writing for the 5 or 6 people who are actually interested in the game because they like the license and want to play it. I mean, I hate turn-based strategy games, but I don't go on my website and post a review of Advance Wars saying "God, grid-based movement is so ****ing stupid!" I'm too tired to finish that thought. My point's in there somewhere, though.

But going back to Jeff Gerstmann, it's not that I hate him as a person, it's that I hate his reviews. Sure, he writes well, but he's kind of a dick about his opinions, which I never agree with. Part of being a fair critic is conceding things to the people not inclined to agree with you.

M3wThr33

Banned
I played the PS2 demo and found that the controls needed a bit of flipping, sincing aiming was with the right stick and firing was X, not a shoulder button.

Also, Bionicle is LEGO's biggest toy franchise for the last... 5, 6 years?

ram

M3wThr33 said:
I played the PS2 demo and found that the controls needed a bit of flipping, sincing aiming was with the right stick and firing was X, not a shoulder button.

Also, Bionicle is LEGO's biggest toy franchise for the last... 5, 6 years?

the aiming and moving is on the left analog stick, therefore the right stick is unused and you cant control the camera.

Sephon

I tried it out for the 360 and found it to be pretty horrible.
The camera is too close to the character and the aiming controls are horrible, you always use the closest target button, but even then you usually lock on the the wrong objects.

But then again, I'm not into the Bionicle universe, so perhaps I'm missing the point.

Top Bottom