• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD | Review Thread

Dsyndrome

I'll get the game for my birthday next month, probably won't have the XV demo unfortunately.

Wish they would've adjusted mechanics somewhat, specifically with the number of party members.

I've never have an issue with motion sickness in any game ever before, but this motion blur is killing my eyes.

How the hell could they have done this without a way to turn it off?

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm not surprised. Spent a few hours with the PSP version and it wasn't anything mind blowing. We all know the $60 entry fee is XV demo tax.

RDreamer

Guess I can indeed pick this up at Gamestop tonight at 11pm central! Just went and preordered it. Looking forward to the game, warts and all. Will probably play a little bit tonight, but start out tomorrow morning with the XV demo.

I'm not surprised. Spent a few hours with the PSP version and it wasn't anything mind blowing. We all know the $60 entry fee is XV demo tax.

ha HA Yeah , you were the one who said they would skip every cut scene due to the mention of L'Cie.

Is this game challenging or is it one of those press and hold X to auto-fight type of RPG's?

have you not looked at a single half minute of footage of this game? ever?

zennyzz

L'Cie aren't the biggest issues of this game. Hell L'Cie weren't the issues of any FNC game.

It's like complaining about Eidolons, Guardian Forces and Espers. They're all just fancy names for summoned monsters.

L'Cie aren't the biggest issues of this game. Hell L'Cie weren't the issues of any FNC game.

It's like complaining about Eidolons, Guardian Forces and Espers. They're all just fancy names for summoned monsters.

I hated and still don't understand what L'cie were in FF13
in this game they make them sound kinda awesome, aside from their emotion draining away flaw.

Did I say the game doesn't deserve an 8? Did I say I didn't read the rest of the review?

What I said was they shit all over it, still gave it an 8, and that is typical of Polygon. All of that is true. I don't see how you can say the entire presentation of a game is a "frustrating black mark" or that the "truth is actually much worse," and then give it an 8. They didn't even put that in the body of the text, it's in some sort of explanation box as if it is an afterthought written by someone else. They didn't even bother to say that they could look past this because the rest of the game is good. They just pretend like they didn't say any of the incredibly harsh things they said about the presentation.

Total disconnect between that giant block of text and the rest of the review.

Those are sidebars. And are often used by the reviewer (anywhere) to discuss their thoughts on things which maybe don't influence the score, as much as observations they thought worth discussing.

zennyzz

I hated and still don't understand what L'cie were in FF13
in this game they make them sound kinda awesome, aside from their emotion draining away flaw.

They're Avatars, that's literally it.

You replace L'Cie with Avatar and Fal'Cie with Deity and that effectively completely explains what they are and their relationship.

And I supposed you could call Cieth fallen ones if you're so inclined.

The issue with XIII aren't those terms. It's the relationship between those terms.

Gaz_RB

I'm looking forward to it simply because I need a new epic JRPG in my life, and this gen has been pretty light on them. From what I've heard from people who've played the PSP version, this game is pretty good. I'm looking forward to it, while keeping in mind that its a PSP game at heart.

RDreamer

Thanks. Final Fantasy games have become boringly easy in the last several installments.

It's unfortunate that this game is getting average reviews, I was hoping it would get me back into the franchise.

You should try Lightning Returns. I found it to be quite challenging. Then again maybe that's because I don't quite have a fighting game background, and the real time blocking and such had to be timed really well.

zennyzz

Take this sentence

XIII way of saying it:

L'Cie are Chosen by Fal'Cie to perform a particular trial. Should they fail, they will become Cieth.

What it means:

Avatars are chosen by Deities to perform a certain task. Should they fail, they will become fallen ones.

But this is a series that uses phrases like Junction, Genome, Judge Magister, EIdolon, SeeD, Fayth, Penumbra, time compression and Wyrms

GameInformer at 6 doesn't surprise me at all.

I expected lower from GameSpot and Polygon though =O

Honestly the 8/10 is a bit refreshing. Think this will be a fun game.
Also, it is funny Mario Party 10 got a 6 but Codename: S.T.E.A.M got a 4 on GameSpot.

phant0m

I'll get the game for my birthday next month, probably won't have the XV demo unfortunately.

Wish they would've adjusted mechanics somewhat, specifically with the number of party members.

Go to a retailer that doesn't do as much volume as GS or Amazon. I got a brand new "Day one" edition of Far Cry 4 at Best Buy 2 weeks ago.

SougoXIII

Take this sentence

XIII way of saying it:

L'Cie are Chosen by Fal'Cie to perform a particular focus. Should they fail, they will become Cieth.

What it means:

Avatars are chosen by Deities to perform a certain task. Should they fail, they will become fallen ones.

You forgot something :p

They're Avatars, that's literally it.

You replace L'Cie with Avatar and Fal'Cie with Deity and that effectively completely explains what they are and their relationship.

And I supposed you could call Cieth fallen ones if you're so inclined.

The issue with XIII aren't those terms. It's the relationship between those terms.

yeah, way too much going on -__-

Thanks. Final Fantasy games have become boringly easy in the last several installments.

It's unfortunate that this game is getting average reviews, I was hoping it would get me back into the franchise.

Which installments? XII, XIII, and LR are all much more challenging games overall and moment-to-moment than the remaining PS2 titles, and significantly more so than any of the PSX games or FF6.

FF5 was the last one that had any legitimate challenge until 12, IMO.

RDreamer

yeah, way too much going on -__-

Wut?

I mean I'm not going to sit here and say that XIII was brilliant at telling its story, but the relationship between those terms is neither hard to grasp nor is it terribly complex in the least... nor was it terribly hard to figure out while playing XIII.

zennyzz

Which installments? XII, XIII, and LR are all much more challenging games overall and moment-to-moment than the remaining PS2 titles, and significantly more so than any of the PSX games or FF6.

FF5 was the last one that had any legitimate challenge until 12, IMO.

I personally found 12 painstakingly easy outside of optional content. Which I feels holds true for most FFs, just that XII has much more of that than its contemporaries.

Like I had no problem steam rolling Vayne, but there were like 10 marks who were substantially harder than he ever was.

RDreamer

I personally found 12 painstakingly easy outside of optional content. Which I feels holds true for most FFs, just that XII has much more of that than its contemporaries.

Like I had no problem steam rolling Vayne, but there were like 10 marks who were substantially harder than he ever was.

I thought XIII had a really great difficulty curve, probably because they knew exactly what skills you'd have and what 'level' you'd be. I thought it was never terribly too hard, but it was also not all that easy either.

Unfortunate XIII-2 came out so damned easy. Then Lightning Returns turned things the other way.

zennyzz

Normally it's tolerable but XIII ramped it up to 11 with it's desire to be cool and mysterious while falling flat on its ass.

My issue wasn't the terminology, it was that what the terminology described got really obtuse to the point where you were left wondering "Wait shouldn't those things be complimenting each other? Why are they at odds?" and it never gave a really good reason

FF 13 ended up with a metacritic score of 83.

This looks a bit lower.

Square Enix demonstrates a willingness to alienate everyone who cares about their games is how I would phrase it.

Wut?

I mean I'm not going to sit here and say that XIII was brilliant at telling its story, but the relationship between those terms is neither hard to grasp nor is it terribly complex in the least... nor was it terribly hard to figure out while playing XIII.

I got none of that out of FF13's story, Just a bunch of new terms thrown out repeatedly before I had an idea what each of them meant, I shut down as far as story was concerned by the time the gameplay picked up. I like how Type-0 just keeps it simple stupid: "L'Cie are dang Uber".

zennyzz

I thought XIII had a really great difficulty curve, probably because they knew exactly what skills you'd have and what 'level' you'd be. I thought it was never terribly too hard, but it was also not all that easy either.

Unfortunate XIII-2 came out so damned easy. Then Lightning Returns turned things the other way.

One of the greatest strengths of Type-0 is that it's legitimately hard without the single failing I give XIII's (restrictiveness of growth.) Which I feel comes up to the fact that it's a very solid Action RPG.

Skill and Stats are in equal measure and you're not restricted by what you can do at the time so much as how good you are at doing it.

zennyzz

"Only Final Fantasy could get away with the paradox of a clean slate that simultaneously references countless tropes endemic to its name."

I did not read any further - could you tell me what you are trying to say with this statement?

It seems you just wanted to pack as many big words as you can.

It's a fancy way of saying "This is totally not a final fantasy game, while at the same time totally being a final fantasy game."

"Only Final Fantasy could get away with the paradox of a clean slate that simultaneously references countless tropes endemic to its name."

I did not read any further - could you tell me what you are trying to say with this statement?

?? Doesn't seem that way to me

What's so hard to read from that?

That's not a difficult sentence to understand nor one with "big words."

Tabata said that with Type-0's name "We incorporated the meaning of starting anew, from zero, in the title Type-0."

So they're ostensibly trying to start fresh, yet paradoxically they also cram all kinds of classic "Final Fantasy" tropes into the game. And it works pretty well.

Top Bottom