• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Final Fantasy XV Director Discusses What's Next (FFXV DLC; His Next Project)

Kyoufu

FF fanbase is poisonous. They won't agree to a single game being the best and all have their own favorites.

You're gonna have to explain to me why that is a bad thing.

In a long running series where each game is different this is completely natural and expected. People like different things.

My favourite FF is FFXI. Not many here have played it or will agree with it, but it doesn't make me poisonous. Come on now. :p

theofficefan99

The PC release already has low 70s score on metacritic.

People keep forgetting that the franchise lost its good will after XIII thanks to the shitty sequels featuring Lightning. It is not like FFXV was coming hot of the heels after the critically praised XII unlike XIII.

Are you somehow missing out the posts made by theofficefan who somehow has made it a habit to quoting my own posts where I praise FFXV. Don't you think I find it annoying whenever this happens, however I have refrained to quote his posts so far because it is just useless. He is known for this shtick for a long time now so no use giving him any mention. But he doesn't seem to understand it judging by the amount of time he has quoted me so far. It is like every time I try to say something positive about FFXV, he has to quote it and scream 'OMG LOL YOU ARE SO DELUSIONAL AND INSECURE' every time.

1. XIII's PC average is low because of the technical issues. It was known to have been released with tons of issues. Might as well bring up VII's iOS port reviews too or whatever
2. Because your posts are always ridiculous and full of shit. I have noticed that you stopped quoting me. Doesn't stop me from wanting to point out your ridiculousness.

To put it on another perspective, the "haters" are like these people who keep saying THAT BOY IS SO UGLY (but in reality, he's not so bad) and announce it over the PA system that he's the world's ugliest boy ever.

Lol fair enough. Though I do think that the boy is so ugly that other people shouldn't enable him by making him think he's an Abercrombie model

People can love XV all they want. Good for them. I'm sitting here angry and bitter until XVI comes out and I hopefully like it. But the people who hate it abbbbbssssolutelyyyy have valid reasons for hating it.

Same thing with XIII. I'm a fan of XIII, and when it first came out I defended it to death, but I eventually realized that people have valid reasons to hate it.

There are others too unless you want me to list names. Just head over to any FFXV thread and you will find them. The recent thread about XII and XV was another example where people were outright mocking others for liking FFXV and no, it was not the same user FYI.

FF fanbase is poisonous. They won't agree to a single game being the best and all have their own favorites. Every game is bashed to hell and beyond. Then those who love these games come to their defense and start to pick the favorite of others. It is just an endless cycle at this point.

I recently got into Yakuza and I think its fanbase is great. You aren't shamed for liking any weak entries in the series atleast, unlike what happens with a FF thread. God forbid someone mentions anyone asking for a FF game to play XIII, they will be roasted.

I don't know where you hang out to come across so many people who "shame others for liking an FF game", but I've been on GAF for years and have never encountered that, and I hang out in FF threads, so there mustn't be that many. Two or three assholes whom you may have come across don't represent an entire fanbase.

NotEasy

I remember about reading that Tabata was working on a new ip and not FFXVI but I'm so relieved to read it again.

I don't know where you hang out to come across so many people who "shame others for liking an FF game", but I've been on GAF for years and have never encountered that, and I hang out in FF threads, so there mustn't be that many. Two or three assholes whom you may have come across don't represent an entire fanbase.
You must also miss out on Twitter because there are people there as well. GAF doesn't have just 2-3 people, there are more here that I have seen but this is not about list wars. FFXIII was also another game whose fans used to get ridiculed here, perfo being a prime example. This example is just to show that it is not a simple niche subset of people.

In a long running series where each game is different this is completely natural and expected. People like different things.

My favourite FF is FFXI. Not many here have played it or will agree with it, but it doesn't make me poisonous. Come on now. :p
It is a bad thing when you want to engage in discussion about a game you like and the threads are full of just shit posts about it. You just give up and stop having any discussion on it altogether.

FFXI is something that is always brought up a lot and I don't hear anything negative about it, infact people even prefer it to XIV: ARR.

The only reason it is not that well remembered is because it was released at a time when online console MMOs weren't a thing. I would have loved to play it but I simply didn't had any way to do so back then.

Laplasakos

I remember about reading that Tabata was working on a new ip and not FFXVI but I'm so relieved to read it again.

I wouldn't be sure about that. For all we know Tabata may start working on a new IP and a year later SE higher ups decide to call it FFXVI. Some things are just beyond their control. Yeah i know what Tabata said in interviews but this is SE we are talking about.

TheCed

At this point, I wouldn't trust anyone with FFXVI. Not because of a lack if talent. But because of the way SE does business these days.

theofficefan99

At this point, I wouldn't trust anyone with FFXVI. Not because of a lack if talent. But because of the way SE does business these days.

If they finally stop making disastrous in-house engines and having mainline FF's be the Guinea pigs for them, I think that'll be a start.

Astral Dog

To me FinalFantasy has been on a pit for years, a pit of inconsistent quality/vision, kinda like the Sonic games were you can see glimpses of brilliance on the modern ones but problems are there.and they can't be easily compared to tbe classics or even Dream Cast era.

HeelPower

I think most can agree that FF has almost completely fallen off in terms of quality.

I was once a stubborn diehard ,addicted FF fanboy ,and even I have become completely disillusioned.

Its good for SE to maintain business(I wont wish them to fail financially), but man this series hasn't been good for nearly a decade now.

Games as a Service. Post-launch DLCs. This is their motto these days.

As for the talent, they are in desperate need for fresh blood. How long do they keep overworking Nomura? Speaking of which, has any notable young director/game designer came out recently from Square Enix?

Laplasakos

I love SE games but i agree that some of their decisions are questionable. Personally, i wouldn't mind if Tabata directs FFXVI, just give him a proper development time this time.

why are we only talking about Nomura & Tabata in terms of talent?
What about other people like Quest Designers, Writers and shit.
It seems Square Enix is generally lacking the talent that you would need for an RPG Game nowadays (tough i didn't play FFXIV, maybe its better there)

The Quests and Towns in FF15 were ridiculous & i don't have any trust that Midgar in FF7 will be much better

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
LoZ came out over a year before FF.

Were Zelda fans really feuding back then though? A Link to the Past came out 4 months after Final Fantasy IV.

Fans had 4 different gameplay types (Standard turn based, Skill system, Job system, and ATB) to argue over before Zelda even had its 3rd title. Not to mention Zelda mostly kept to the basics for many years other than AoL.

I think most can agree that FF has almost completely fallen off in terms of quality.

I was once a stubborn diehard ,addicted FF fanboy ,and even I have become completely disillusioned.

Its good for SE to maintain business(I wont wish them to fail financially), but man this series hasn't been good for nearly a decade now.

I certainly agree when it comes to the mainline entries. A lot of people in threads lately like to complain about the detractors, and attribute it to the "FF fanbase" just being toxic, but that seems more like a way to handwave dissenting opinions than it does an honest analysis of the topic. People liked to bring out the same arguments when it came to XIII. "Oh, that's just the fanbase being toxic!" Then we have interviews with SE staff saying that the FF brand was extremely damaged and its future was in jeopardy. Almost like the negative reception to XIII wasn't just people blowing smoke!

Now you see the same thing with XV, a deep amount of complaints, and you have SE scrambling to add content and fixes to their game in a way that's only been trumped previously in a full rework of FFXIV. They've had several interviews acknowledging key flaws with XV, including Tabata's admission that the story wasn't received as well as they'd like. Maybe rather than a minority of trolls being loud, we have a deeply flawed game from a beloved series on our hands, and that's why you'll see complaints coming up again and again. And criticism of the game is a fair avenue of discussion just as must as praise.

HeelPower

I certainly agree when it comes to the mainline entries. A lot of people in threads lately like to complain about the detractors, and attribute it to the "FF fanbase" just being toxic, but that seems more like a way to handwave dissenting opinions than it does an honest analysis of the topic. People liked to bring out the same arguments when it came to XIII. "Oh, that's just the fanbase being toxic!" Then we have interviews with SE staff saying that the FF brand was extremely damaged and its future was in jeopardy. Almost like the negative reception to XIII wasn't just people blowing smoke!

Now you see the same thing with XV, a deep amount of complaints, and you have SE scrambling to add content and fixes to their game in a way that's only been trumped previously in a full rework of FFXIV. They've had several interviews acknowledging key flaws with XV, including Tabata's admission that the story wasn't received as well as they'd like. Maybe rather than a minority of trolls being loud, we have a deeply flawed game from a beloved series on our hands, and that's why you'll see complaints coming up again and again. And criticism of the game is a fair avenue of discussion just as must as praise.

Its not easy to maintain a positive attitude when it comes to FF.

The XIII sequels were disastrous falls in quality in anything that isn't Battle system.

Add to that XV's extremely protracted wait times and mediocre final product ,and you find that that this general toxicity is entirely warranted.

Fou-Lu

Were Zelda fans really feuding back then though? A Link to the Past came out 4 months after Final Fantasy IV.

Fans had 4 different gameplay types (Standard turn based, Skill system, Job system, and ATB) to argue over before Zelda even had its 3rd title. Not to mention Zelda mostly kept to the basics for many years other than AoL.

Zelda II is probably one of the most divisive sequels ever though and it came out before FFI even did. I don't remember people REALLY arguing about Final Fantasy until Final Fantasy VII.

Zelda II is probably one of the most divisive sequels ever though and it came out before FFI even did. I don't remember people REALLY arguing about Final Fantasy until Final Fantasy VII.

Were people really fighting over it THAT much. From my recollection, I knew more people that just plain disliked it and those who liked it kept it to themselves. I think maybe the great division of fans might've come out around the same time for LoZ, FF and Sonic with Occarina of Time, FFVII and Sonic Adventure. That was the "great rift" as far as fanbase is concerned. There was that which was before, and that which was after. Of course, you got people that enjoy both, but when there was the heated arguments in forums between two opposing sides of a diehard fanbase, I always think THAT was the significant division point (1997-1998).

theofficefan99

The XIII sequels were disastrous falls in quality in anything that isn't Battle system.

Add to that XV's extremely protracted wait times and mediocre final product ,and you find that that this general toxicity is entirely warranted.

This. I have loved all mainline titles up until XV, but with XIII-2, LR, and Type-0 preceding it, I've now become extremely worried about the franchise. Something I thought would NEVER happen.

Before XV's release, even though I was immensely disappointed with the focus on a light-hearted open world road trip, I told myself "well, no matter what, with a mainline Final Fantasy, I can always expect a meaty 30+ hour main story with excellent presentation." Unfortunately, nope. 15 hour main story (and almost nothing happens for the first 7-8), and the presentation outside of a few cutscenes is pretty low-budget. So like, if we can't even get that with every entry, what identity does the franchise have?

And to the people harping on others for having expectations: I guess life must be phenomenal if you have zero expectations for anything. But that's not how the world works. There are expectations set for everyone and everything. And I'm pretty sure fans of XV would not be pleased if XVI ended up being an FPS with no RPG elements with a 5 hour main story, with most cutscenes being presented via storyboard format.

This is an established franchise, promises were made, people paid money, and they can bitch if their heart desires. The game has tons and tons and tons of flaws even if you weren't a victim of this game's largely misleading marketing campaign that got really damn lucky that it was launched while the No Man's Sky fiasco was still fresh.

And I tried REALLY hard to love this game. I actively tried; I mean, I hyped the shit out of it, went to Uncovered, watched Kingsglaive when it was released, ordered Deluxe Edition, the whole shebang. I almost felt obligated to love it. But after Chapter 4, I couldn't contain my massive anger and disappointment towards the game. Like... I couldn't believe what I just experienced was from the same franchise that touts being this high-class, fancy, expensive thing. From a writing perspective Chapters 1-4 felt like something a high schooler who was forced to take a Screenwriting class would write. From a presentation perspective it felt like something I would expect from a Western company that opened up like a couple years ago with little budget. And then I realized that outside of some cool dungeons the whole experience is completely shallow. Oh and that the combat sucks and has no balance.

I just cannot believe that a mainline Final Fantasy turned out this way.

SE needs to realize that reputation and word-of-mouth has an effect.

Argueable to say at least. XV score can also be attributed to the current popularity of open world RPG's.

Absolutely. But unlike other well-crafted open world games, XV lacks depth. So people eventually realized that it's all smoke and mirrors and that it doesn't get better. This is it. You get to run around some environments that resemble certain parts of the U.S. and do mundane fetch quests while suffering either via long load times or boring modes of transportation. Your other alternative is going through some short story that is as shallow as the rest of the experience, that was clearly cobbled together last-minute. Yay.

Fou-Lu

It's always easier to be negative and toxic, but that doesn't mean it's the right way to go about things.

Toth

I think most would not agree. Quality has never been a problem for FF since they are always top notch when it comes to graphics, music, and mixing up standard RPG mechanics / tropes. FF did not become the WW recognized JRPG because of poor quality and FFXV's (and FFXIII and FFXIV's) successes are clear examples the series is still bringing in huge numbers.

The RPG style of old doesn't work well anymore in the age of the WRPG and the few recent successes have cloaked it with style (Persona 5) or unchanged / extremely safe variation (DQ11).

theofficefan99

I think most would not agree. Quality has never been a problem for FF since they are always top notch when it comes to graphics, music, and mixing up standard RPG mechanics / tropes. FF did not become the WW recognized JRPG because of poor quality and FFXV's (and FFXIII and FFXIV's) successes are clear examples the series is still bringing in huge numbers.

The RPG style of old doesn't work well anymore in the age of the WRPG and the few recent successes have cloaked it with style (Persona 5) or unchanged / extremely safe variation (DQ11).

I think most would not agree that quality has never been a problem for FF. And the problem with XV isn't that it's no longer turn-based.

AwShucks

These dudes came in and saved this goddamn game. Give him FF16.

Oh, and keep Nomura the fuck away from it lol

No thanks. FF should have a giant story that you see. Gameplay wise I enjoyed the game. Story content wise it's lacking and that is having seen Brotherhood and the movie.

Maybe let Nomura finish next time. Though I'd rather see a new TWEWY

Glass Rebel

Tabata is a weird director. All of his games give off this extremely intriguing feeling... until you actually play them and think... what the fuck is this shit. Final Fantasy XV is no different and it probably didn't help that he had to take over from someone else. I am not against him taking another shot at a game but I sure am glad that he isn't on XVI.

I love Final Fantasy.

OT: I can't wait to see what they do next with FFXV and their next title. The new scenario writers they've picked up since XV and the stuff they've written for the DLC has been fantastic so far, so I hope these new guys get to be on the next project BD2 does. :)

SilverArrow20XX

Right, but that's mostly in retrospect I think. At the time, it was just a weird sequel like a lot of other weird sequels. The series didn't really have its identity until ALTTP. I remember people arguing for the older Zelda games when OOT came out, but "older games" typically meant ALTTP and LA, and to a lesser extent LOZ. AOL was very much a black sheep. Even during the NES age, I don't remember LOZ being that popular at school. Kids were mostly raving about Megaman, Contra, the TMNT beat em ups, Ninja Gaiden, and stuff like that. Though maybe the older kids were more into the adventure games. Point is, I didn't hear lots of talk about either franchise until the SNES era, and I didn't really notice fan feuding in LOZ until after OOT was out, whereas people were already butting heads over IV VS VI.

I mean, I'm a guy who spent most of his free time on Zelda message boards for quite a few years. We mostly argued timelines and stuff. Not which entries sucked. It was a very different community.

And I tried REALLY hard to love this game. I actively tried; I mean, I hyped the shit out of it, went to Uncovered, watched Kingsglaive when it was released, ordered Deluxe Edition, the whole shebang. I almost felt obligated to love it. But after Chapter 4, I couldn't contain my massive anger and disappointment towards the game. Like... I couldn't believe what I just experienced was from the same franchise that touts being this high-class, fancy, expensive thing. From a writing perspective Chapters 1-4 felt like something a high schooler who was forced to take a Screenwriting class would write. From a presentation perspective it felt like something I would expect from a Western company that opened up like a couple years ago with little budget. And then I realized that outside of some cool dungeons the whole experience is completely shallow. Oh and that the combat sucks and has no balance.

I just cannot believe that a mainline Final Fantasy turned out this way.

This is mostly what happened me except I didn't go to Uncovered, but I did watch it ,and paid for the UCE. haha.

Toth

I think most would not agree that quality has never been a problem for FF. And the problem with XV isn't that it's no longer turn-based.

In that sense, that type of quality is entirely subjective. Objectively, FF have always been top notch in presentation and innovation.

SilverArrow20XX

Objectively, FF have always been top notch in presentation and innovation.

XV has pretty terrible presentation with very poorly cut scenes similar to Type-0 and characters weren't represented well. People would know who Jared was if it had good presentation. XIII also had really bad presentation, failing to convey a good deal of its plot without datalogs.

Unless you mean that the games just looks beautiful in action, then yeah.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
FFXIII was also another game whose fans used to get ridiculed here, perfo being a prime example. This example is just to show that it is not a simple niche subset of people.

This is so true... evil-Kagari, full of unjustified hatred for the Goddess, even gave me a tag that I still hold ("Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest"), a scar I proudly wear to remember the battles I fought for justice!

FFXV is shit

Astral Dog

XV has pretty terrible presentation with very poorly cut scenes similar to Type-0 and characters weren't represented well. People would know who Jared was if it had good presentation. XIII also had really bad presentation, failing to convey a good deal of its plot without datalogs.

Unless you mean that the games just looks beautiful in action, then yeah.
FF XIII has the 'advantage' of a decent amount of animated cutscenes and high quality CG action though.

advantage depends who you ask :p

Top Bottom