• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] How PSVR2 stacks up against PSVR, Quest 2 and Valve Index

Elog

Is eye tracking/Foveated rendering a big deal?
On paper it is one of the biggest features of this VR platform. The actual area you are looking at is very small and outside of that you would not notice if things were rendered at 720p. So if it works as specified it boosts the practical hardware specifications from a rendering point of view through the roof.

Let's see how accurate and fast it is in reality first though :)

SilentUser

So exciting, the PSVR2 specs are great, foveated rendering could be big in terms of pushing graphics and the controllers are packing the tech from the outstanding DualSense.

Plus, there is hardware for every type of taste and PSVR2 will be mine 🤩 come on Sony, release this thing already!

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Great specs that should see them through this generation, for sure they'll be surpassed in the PC space but you need a beefy PC to play them and Quest2 standalone is let's be honest shite mobile phone quality gfx, it needs a PC to really shine. As for PSVR2 with 3D audio on proper headphones, haptic feedback controllers and vibrations in the headset... I can see GT VR being and unmatched experience

yurinka

Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/psvr2-vs-oculus-quest-2-valve-index-comparison-specs

psvr2-infographic-1641587564079.png
They forgot to mention PSVR2 has HDR, vibration, foveat rendering, etc. I think its performance will suprise people, will look better than expected. But I'm worried about pricing.

I think the launch price will be $399 or $499 (it comes with the 2 Sense controllers), but I think the mainstream needs something like $199 or $299, which won't happen.

Last edited:

magnumpy

I for one am just happy to see multiple competitors fighting in the VR space. it means the overall VR market is healthy! if their wasn't money to be made, their would be no space for these multiple competitors to exist... xD

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Can motion sickness be reduced with a better resolution or is it all about refresh rate? From the few times i tried PSVR it was a mixed experience for me.

I think motion sickness is caused by movement your brain sees but your body is not matching it.

I do the the experience will be more comfortable though because of crisper visuals.
An issue I have with RE7 on PSVR is that everything is so blurry and jaggie.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean games mean everything here but the oculus 2 still has the edge in my book with the option of wireless or wired To a pc and having hardware built in the to play games.

Just that last point alone makes a big difference to the mass market and making it the cheapest option for them.

Last edited:

Banned
I always got the impression that wider FOVs alleviated motion sickness but if the opposite is true I stand corrected.

on a TV screen higher is usually better. in VR it is the other way around because it mitigates the perceived movement speed of cour character.
in VR the #1 factor for motion sickness is the mismatch of what your inner ear detects and what your eyes see, having less peripheral vision makes movement feel slower. on a TV the main factor is loosing orientation during fast camera adjustments

Last edited:

Kerotan

Any chance of Village coming for PSVR2? Maybe I’ll enjoy the game in VR. RE7 was almost too scary but Village being a Pirates of the Caribbean rollercoaster is kind of perfect for VR.

Well done on specs, Sony.

Edit: lol at people doubting software support for a PlayStation product. You people are ridiculous.
Sony would be crazy if they didn't push them to port it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PSVR2 will be by far the best VR headset. No other has eye tracked foveated rendering
Foveated rendering will depend on game engine implementing it, various other headsets have eye tracking or add-ons, but this might be the cheapest to do so (at least until Facebook's Cambria or whatever is released, that should cost more than Quest but probably still less than a console + VR).

People are surprised the latest to launch, which still hasn't, may implement more features? Index is like 3 years old at this point, do people expect every company to release new VR stuff every year making the last obsolete because some other company might release one later with more stuff in?

If a year or two after PSVR2 more PC/stand alone kits release with this or that piece of tech over it do you expect Sony to also release an updated PSVR2 rendering the current obsolete on the spot or are you going to then use this same point or say it's good enough/should last this generation 🤷‍♂️

Valve being unable to reduce the cost/pricing is a separate point and has to do with their decision to keep using their best-in-class lighthouse tracking making every component cost more. If they do an inside out tracking kit it'll perform worse, on par with the rest and cost less too. It's not magic.

Naturally people will just go "PSVR2 tracking is good enough" (before even trying it in this case) to render the point void but that's not how shit works and anyone can say stuff is "good enough" in the same way to render PSVR2 advantages void so it's hardly the way to have a decent talk about it.

Last edited:

Banned
PS Move especially together with PSVR1 has quite a lot of software / support…not sure what you are saying here.

PS Move has "a lot" of shovelware and games that "support" it but aren't designed around it.
it has exactly 19 games that are actually designed for it! 19!!!
and another 130 games that optionally support it, among those are 12 just dance titles and shit like miltiple Angry Bird games

and VR in general has an issue when it comes to actual big hitters. the Quest 2 currently has by far the best lineup when you combine it with a PC, and even that is barely at a point where I wold say it's worth buying for the average customer.

PSVR2 will not have the benefit of having all of the Steam VR and Oculus PC+Quest library and will have to build a completely new library of games from scratch. so it will have a way harder time to convince people it's worth buying than a Quest or a PC headset.
and if not enough people think it's worth buying no thied party will support it in the long run.
it's hard to predict how it will pan out but one thing is for sure, just because it's a PlayStation product doesn't mean it will have good support from developers, because everything that isn't a mainline PlayStation console has no guaranteed success whatsoever

Last edited:

Rudius

It better be. Quest 2 will be 2 years old and Index will be 3.5 years old when PSVR2 will launch.
However Index costed more than a 1000 dollars, the controllers alone were very expensive, while PSVR2 is supposed to be more affordable. The specs it has are better than I was expecting: around 1440p, SDR, controllers like the Quest with regular vibration and triggers, certainly no eye tracking.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So really the only thing that's not top of the line is the FOV. It's a shame they couldn't push this up further, but maybe 110 degrees is good enough. I know that the 90 degree FOV of the Quest 2 makes it feel like looking through a window at the VR world, rather than being completely immersed in it. Not sure how big of a difference an extra 20 degrees will be, vs the extra 40 degrees of the Index.

Edit: And refresh rate I guess. But most Quest 2 games feel very smooth and responsive to me, and they mostly run at 72 or 90 Hz.

Last edited:

Rudius

Foveated rendering will depend on game engine implementing it, various other headsets have eye tracking or add-ons, but this might be the cheapest to do so (at least until Facebook's Cambria or whatever is released, that should cost more than Quest but probably still less than a console + VR).

People are surprised the latest to launch, which still hasn't, may implement more features? Index is almost 3 years old at this point, do people expect every company to release a new VR kit every year making the last obsolete because some other company might release one later with more stuff?

If a year or two after PSVR2 more PC/stand alone kits release with this or that piece of tech over it do you expect Sony to also release an updated PSVR2 rendering the current obsolete on the spot or are you going to then use this same point or say it's good enough/should last this generation 🤷‍♂️

Valve being unable to reduce the cost and the pricing is a separate point and also has to do with their decision to keep using their best-in-class lighthouse tracking making every component more expensive. If they do an inside out tracking kit it'll perform worse, on par with the rest & cost less.
There is value in buying something that you know will be supported for many years, like traditional consoles and the PSVR 1 and 2.
Quest 1 was released after PSVR and has already been left behind, with the best game of last year being exclusive to Quest 2.

There is also the benefit of a lower cost down the road: in a few years we will probably be able able to buy a PSVR2 for 200 dollars, a PS5 slim for the same price

Airbus Jr

Banned
Not trying to derail the conversation but Sony should focus first on making PS5 stock more available worldwide

PSVR1 still compatible with PS5 right( the color and design actually match with PS5)

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
This is the only thing holding me back from VR. If this can be largely resolved, I may jump in and try it. Unfortunately, I'm sensitive to that kind of stuff.
Some friends of mine bought into the first iteration so i was happy to try it. Mind blowing experience but in the end form factor and motion sickness kept me away from it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
There is value in buying something that you know will be supported for many years, like traditional consoles and the PSVR 1 and 2.
Quest 1 was released after PSVR and has already been left behind, with the best game of last year being exclusive to Quest 2.

There is also the benefit of a lower cost down the road: in a few years we will probably be able able to buy a PSVR2 for 200 dollars, a PS5 slim for the same price
Exactly, there's value in stuff being supported for years, hence it's silly to fault 3+ year old stuff for basically not having a successor as good as the next in line in some aspects as the posts I was responding to basically did (and backpedaling to "good enough is enough" for what they still do best).

Let me guess, next gen VR starts when Sony says, everyone has to keep up on exactly the same moment in time, not before or after. Sony's is good enough until when they decide it's not good enough and bring a successor rendering everything else obsolete, or superfluous, accordingly 🤷‍♂️

PSVR also doesn't have that best game of the year you're talking about, alongside many, many others, so it's even more left behind, even if PSVR2 isn't here yet, if that's a point you really want. You could also just say hey, platform/model exclusive games will always exist regardless of capabilities (I mean, Labo VR has its own games supported that are nowhere else, lol) and PSVR also has games PC/Quest/2 don't but then we go in the amount-of-games (or new games, or great games) field and PC or even Quest still win. Games PSVR gets are super gimped, see how Hitman is on PSVR vs how it'll be on PC (and work on stuff as old as PSVR, like 2016's Vive or Oculus CV1, the latter I'm still using with zero issues in terms of playability thanks to its forward thinking controller design everyone else is basically aping since, even if it doesn't have all advanced tech, still with its own).

We'll see what prices are like then and what alternatives there are for other platforms by then I guess. Or if there will indeed be a PS5 Pro and PSVR2 Pro or similar by then etc. Kind of silly to use fortune telling to enhance your argument.

Anyway, there's room (for growth) for everyone, just as we have the massive scale of PC gaming, each home console and the Switch portable exist, even mobile gaming is in the equation. Similarly we'll have portable AIO VR, console VR and PC VR gaming to hopefully suit everybody's needs :messenger_ok:

Edit: your new reply is basically what I've now bolded. PSVR2 will be good enough unless you personally deem anything better, better enough. Which you won't, clearly, PSVR2 will be good enough for you until there's a PSVR3 even if others come out with affordable full body tracking etc., lol. You're reiterating what PSVR2 has over the 3+ year old stuff like it hasn't already been discussed and adding points I never argued against like how PSVR2 will be cool and have cool games and all the cool stuff. I'm not interested in circle jerking of the sort, I've already covered everything here.

Last edited:

saintjules

I will wait till the library is there. realistically I can only afford one at a time, either a good PC + Oculus or PS5 with PSVR2.
PC would be a no brainer for me if wasn't for amazing IP sony makes.

I was thinking the same re: waiting on a potential library. I'd like to see a couple of games before purchase, but I'd be looking to finally dive into the VR space.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think PSVR is going to beat out the current headsets on the market right now, but by the time it launches Project Cambria will likely be out and that could be a complication. Apple's offering could be around then as well. Although neither of those will likely compete with PSVR on price (but of course will be standalone, so they sort of will).

SF Kosmo

I reckon Quest 2 is being sold at a price that's making some Meta accountants uncomfortable.

I reckon 399 for PSVR2. 450 would be far to close to a PS5, and 250 would likely be really pushing close to BOM + development costs (and 'devaluing' the product - something Nintendo manage very well). I don't think the insta/spontaneous purchases at 250 would make up for it.

350 might be doable (and less than a discless PS5), but I think that a) it would still be pushing profit margins and b) Sony will think they can get an extra 50 out of it.
PSVR will be leaner in some ways than Quest 2. No battery, no SOC. I think $300 may be doable. You're right than any more than $400 is a problem given the cost of discless PS5.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Only if it has the games.

Superior hardware isn't equal to superior experiences.

Right?

Quest has a big enough lead that they might not feel the need to optimize past that.

So really not superior at all.

Just more junk for ppl to horde, while they wait for what they really want.
You're so bitter entering this thread, tell me how PSVR hurt you? Maybe you should take the sage advice of the poster quoted below this
So go make a fucking thread about it instead of derailing this one.

It's going to have more attention & day one players now, than it would have without this deal.

Lognor

Banned
It's so ironic that those of us with 1000USD plus of kit and add ons (my Valve Index investments) have no issues with that.
Yeah, it might be completely fine. I was just poking fun that the psvr2 is not superior when it comes to cords. Obviously if you got the same experience with or without cords, you'd opt for the latter.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yeah, it might be completely fine. I was just poking fun that the psvr2 is not superior when it comes to cords. Obviously if you got the same experience with or without cords, you'd opt for the latter.
The wireless aspect is probably the main benefit.

I hate the fact that they have gated exclusives on PC behind their launcher and handset which is luckily able to be averted thanks to apps like Revive.

SF Kosmo

The wireless aspect is probably the main benefit.

I hate the fact that they have gated exclusives on PC behind their launcher and handset which is luckily able to be averted thanks to apps like Revive.
Valve's games are also gated behind their own launcher and API.

At least Oculus switched to OpenXR once it was finalized.

Awesome. With they had index beat on the FOV, because the quest kills me with that. Never tried a device over 90, but I'm the kind of degenerate that moves the FOV slider all the way in my games.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Valve's games are also gated behind their own launcher and API.

At least Oculus switched to OpenXR once it was finalized.
Kinda makes sense but for 3rd party, I think now but luckily there's ways around that thanks to apps like Revive.

.Pennywise

Banned
Seems like we officially arrived to the VR wars!
And Sony fans will be as insufferable as they are with their consoles and games! 😂

I think this PSVR2 has good specs despite not being wireless.

What I want to see is its price. We already saw what a competitive price could do with the Quest 2.
I hope it has a good price and more people can finally see the light of VR. I feel pity for all the people that couldn't experience the most pushing gaming experience in the XXI century like Half-Life: Alyx and think that innovation relies on graphics and animations.

Top Bottom