• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - Metriod Prime 3 full demo w/ expert controls

Krowley

papercut said:
If I'm wrong, tell me. But as I currently see it, there's no way to keep the crosshair centered ala mouselook. With a mouse, you can pick it up and move it to the other side of the mousepad to keep turning. How do you do that with the wiimote?

With a "pick up mouse" button or a recentering button... Either one would be much less usable than the current system and everybody here would try it, realize it sucks and switch to the current method if there was an option.

jarosh

so... online play for metroid prime 3?

IGN: How will social networking be handled? Will there be anonymous friend codes like on the DS network, or will users be able to choose recognisable IDs like on Xbox Live?

David Yarnton: More details on that will come out closer to launch. But you will be able to play online, so for example with Metroid you will be able to play against friends online… [editor's note: at this point the Nintendo PR rep steps in to assert that Metroid has not been confirmed for online play].

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732728p2.html

Amir0x

Banned
Euro Nintendo doesn't know anything (and even if he did, let's hope not: Metroid Hunters was awful, Metroid Prime II multiplayer was awful)

Amir0x said:
Euro Nintendo doesn't know anything (and even if he did, let's hope not: Metroid Hunters was awful, Metroid Prime II multiplayer was awful)

Yeah, and MP3 doesnt have fps-controls....oh, wait...

Amir0x

Banned
MasterMFauli said:
Yeah, and MP3 doesnt have fps-controls....oh, wait...

i'm not sure how that's remotely relevant, because the problem with MPII multiplayer was not relegated to 'bad controls.'

phinious

If there is online play then I will certainly pick it up along with a wii. I mean seriously, if the controls end up as accurate as pc controls, I will eat this up!!!

To me the lightgun/like gunplay seems awesome. Every lightgun game ive ever played I wanted to be able to actually move the character around. Now I finally can!

papercut

Krowley said:
With a "pick up mouse" button or a recentering button... Either one would be much less usable than the current system and everybody here would try it, realize it sucks and switch to the current method if there was an option.

Thank you :)

Amir0x said:
i'm not sure how that's remotely relevant, because the problem with MPII multiplayer was not relegated to 'bad controls.'

Um, it was.
The slow turning and lock-on only shooting killed any serious multiplayer-feeling.

one more time with feeling.

for everyone who thinks that the person playing the game was struggling with horrible controls, why don't we ask the person who was playing the game what he thought of the controls (which he criticised at E3).

matt-ign said:
We're happy to report that it simulates the accuracy of PC first-person shooters almost perfectly, and we found ourselves soaring through levels, zipping around corners, pulling quick turns and zapping down enemies with pinpoint precision within seconds. Simply put, Retro has pretty much nailed it - and it makes the wait to 2007 for the game that much more difficult. We're not kidding when we write that Prime 3 feels like a brand new game with this control.

well look at that.

but of course this is GAF so people will look at a video and think they know better than the person who was playing the game in the video they saw about controls for a game they unlike the person in the video have never played.

CreatureX3 said:
Hmmm. Could this be the reason for the delay?
i'm pretty sure it's delayed so that it doesn't cannibalise sales for zelda and vice versa, with the one two punch of zelda and metroid destroying the sales of third parties who are already a bit upset that wii sports is bundled.

even if it was ready for launch putting it out at the same time as zelda would have been crazy.

Vyer

That was great. Clearly he struggled at the beginning but quickly had it down. Looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

After watching that video it made me realize just how much Primes delay effects my excitement for Wiis launch. I was so excited and now looking at my launch list of games: Zelda, Trauma; and maybe Monkey ball, and Red steel it feels so small now with only one huge game.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I can't get the two new movies on gametrailers to work :(

Guess i'll have to wait for IGN to update with more MP3 goodness.

Could they handle turning by tilting the nunchuck left and right. And offer mouse like aiming on the remote.

Would that work ok? I dunno... btw i can sit on my couch with my tv remote almost perfectly still resting on my lap so i dont see why people think it would make u motion sick.

masud

Banned
godisturbed said:
Could they handle turning by tilting the nunchuck left and right. And offer mouse like aiming on the remote.

Would that work ok? I dunno... btw i can sit on my couch with my tv remote almost perfectly still resting on my lap so i dont see why people think it would make u motion sick.
That's a good idea.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
godisturbed said:

That was my firts idea for the Nunckuck. Motion sensing for the camera, and the pointer just for aim. The problem with this is that you should need a button to recenter the motion or to hold the direction. In any way, I think it's factible and a better config than the actual.

I guess that at Retro tested this combination, and if they finally decided to put the pointer edge to rotate the camera it's for something.

Apparently it's going to be the Hunters online stuff.

I liked MPH's online play, but multiplayer won't be that fun if you can't even do a 180 and turn around without moving the cursor to the side of the screen, slow as hell. Ugh

PhoenixDark said:

I liked MPH's online play, but multiplayer won't be that fun if you can't even do a 180 and turn around without moving the cursor to the side of the screen, slow as hell. Ugh
turning speed looks perfectly fine in this video. or to put it another way, certainly no worse than any other console FPS.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Multiplayer should be so much better this time around. It's online, for one. Also, they've got more than a bit of time to get it spot on this time.

etiolate

Banned
Multiplayer in Metroid doesn't fit. I wish people would stop asking for it. Still stuck on the whole FPS/Adventure thing.

papercut

The single player is pretty much done. Online multiplayer can only be a good thing, as it works with the Wii controls and there ARE those who want it. Seriously people, you can wait a few more months if Retro is going to use that time to implement online.

TheWolf

Banned
Matt-IGN said:
Although David Y. from NOE said that Metroid Prime 3 has a multiplayer mode, it doesn't. We've known forever that it doesn't and a NOA rep reiterated that to be the case a few mins ago.

Matty

PhoenixDark said:

wait can you do that with a dual analogy well............... hmmmm it think not

Mrbob said:
Mwa hahahaha.

NoA and NoE need to have a closed door meeting to get their shit together!
:lol I agree

1UP: Is WiiConnect24 support going to be mandatory for all Wii games?
NOE: We at Nintendo don't like to force things. Most publishers have expressed great interest in the feature though, and we hope to expand it. Square Enix, for instance, is thinking about offering downloadable weapons for Chrono Reborn. And -
[At this point a Nintendo PR person interrupts and says Chrono Reborn is not planned for the Wii at this time, and does not currently exist]

Drakken

PhoenixDark said:
:lol I agree

1UP: Is WiiConnect24 support going to be mandatory for all Wii games?
NOE: We at Nintendo don't like to force things. Most publishers have expressed great interest in the feature though, and we hope to expand it. Square Enix, for instance, is thinking about offering downloadable weapons for Chrono Reborn. And -
[At this point a Nintendo PR person interrupts and says Chrono Reborn is not planned for the Wii at this time, and does not currently exist]

Don't toy with my emotions!

Ark-AMN

Banned
I thought it was very notable that in the IGN walkthrough, there wasn't any scanning done in that demo level. I think that it shows Retro will be taking required scanning to a minimum since none was needed to progress through that level.

Still, I love scanning and as long as there are plenty of optional stuff to scan for backstory, I'll be very pleased.

Ark-AMN said:
I thought it was very notable that in the IGN walkthrough, there wasn't any scanning done in that demo level. I think that it shows Retro will be taking required scanning to a minimum since none was needed to progress through that level.

Still, I love scanning and as long as there are plenty of optional stuff to scan for backstory, I'll be very pleased.

Not really. This is a demo of the game, and it does not represent the final product. The same thing happened with the E3 version.

Nintendo wanted quick and concise play in the demo, and having a bunch of scanning would take you out of the action. No suprise there.

PhoenixDark said:
Not really. This is a demo of the game, and it does not represent the final product. The same thing happened with the E3 version.

Nintendo wanted quick and concise play in the demo, and having a bunch of scanning would take you out of the action. No suprise there.
and remember kids, in the previous metroid prime games there was very little you had to scan to progress, and they were all clearly indicated with a RED icon as opposed to an orange one.

i love the scanning personally, but never get it when people complain about how they HAD TO scan every last rock.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Uh, in the walkthrough...

To the people saying it looked like he "struggled" at first and then "got it" toward the end...

Didn't anyone notice? At first, he was free-range shooting, and then toward the middle, all he did was lock-on. It wasn't a question of "getting it" - he just used the lock on feature whenever he was fighting. Cheap way out. I kinda wish they didn't put that in, as it kinda makes this version a bit easy.... but I'm sure it'll come in handy.

That said, I think it looks fantastic. I was a fan of it at E3, but I can already see in this crappy quality video they added better lighting and many more particle effects (like when the enemies die in a puff of blue sparks). Can't wait. Tons of cut scenes finally make this game look EPIC - and not so isolated like the previous ones.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
John Harker said:
Uh, in the walkthrough...

To the people saying it looked like he "struggled" at first and then "got it" toward the end...

Didn't anyone notice? At first, he was free-range shooting, and then toward the middle, all he did was lock-on. It wasn't a question of "getting it" - he just used the lock on feature whenever he was fighting. Cheap way out. I kinda wish they didn't put that in, as it kinda makes this version a bit easy.... but I'm sure it'll come in handy.

That said, I think it looks fantastic. I was a fan of it at E3, but I can already see in this crappy quality video they added better lighting and many more particle effects (like when the enemies die in a puff of blue sparks). Can't wait. Tons of cut scenes finally make this game look EPIC - and not so isolated like the previous ones.
Get used to it. Free-range aiming is just for turning around corners it seems.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Having seen this video I have two comments about MP3:

1. The aiming cursor is extremely ugly looking

2. It looks very impractical when he is aiming on the very edge of the screen at something and the camera does not move. You can hardly see what you are shooting. Clearly the screen turning sensitivity is still too low. They really should create a relatively large "border" around the screen which the cursor cannot move into, so that the screen turns but you are never aiming almost off-screen. It would be a hybrid between the current idea of having the cursor be able to move around the screen and having a fixed crosshair.

Top Bottom