• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - Metriod Prime 3 full demo w/ expert controls

chase

Looks good.

Keep in mind that this is a demo and an area where Samus got her missle launcher. So I don't think it's that far in the game. Like the intro for the first MP. I wouldn't yet judge the whole game based on it.

phinious

Who cares about circle straffing anyway? its definately not that great of a tactic in single player FPSs anyway. Even in Multiplayer games its not like its hard to hit someone circle straffing.

I think the ability to turn around and have precision aiming at a flick of the wrist is the important thing.

Circle straffing is way over rated IMO.

I welcome the new style controls actually. The only thing I want more from this game is Multiplayer co-op, deathmatch, and CTF. Preferably Online.

I think it would be pretty cool to have a FPS-laser gun hybred game for deathmatch. Seems almost more realistic.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
MaddenNFL64 said:
the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20060914082131989.jpg

I'm excited for MP3, but that's still king.

16 bit color :(

Mrbob

Squeak said:
I'm flabbergasted that Retro still hasn't implemented a fixed reticule control method.
Look it's very simple, hold A to "lift the mouse" and when not pressed the view will follow the wiimote like a mouse. Just do it FFS!

Yeah I can't take watching her arm flail around when you move the camera. It is so damn jarring.

Do people turn their arms left and right when they walk around in real life? Viewpoint needs to be locked into a center reticule.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
dark10x said:
Has anybody nailed Retro on the whole 16:9 thing, by the way? I'd be very disappointed if they released Prime 3 in 4:3 format only as the game is begging for 16:9.

How is this possible? I could have sworn Prime 1 and 2 were 16:9

Anyway, I think improving the movement of Samus is a good thing, but somehow I disagree with everyone that Prime 2 was worse than Prime 1. I didn't notice such a huge increase in action, I thought the Dark World was pretty cool and the level design was out of this world. I did cringe at the Halo-like opening level for Prime 3, but whateva!

Mrbob said:
Yeah I can't take watching her arm flail around when you move the camera. It is so damn jarring.

Do people turn their arms left and right when they walk around in real life? Viewpoint needs to be locked into a center reticule.
do people keep their arm out straight and only ever turn there body and not their head in real life when they walk around?

no they don't. neither is realistic. at least this lets you aim with your wrist or arm and not by rotating your hips.

Mrbob

plagiarize said:
do people keep their arm out straight and only ever turn there body and not their head in real live when they walk around?

no they don't. neither is realistic. at least this lets you aim with your wrist or arm and not by rotating your hips.

It's more like holding out a weapon to attack, so yes I would say in the case of samus she would hold her arm out straight. With a fixed perspective it'll make turning and moving more seamless to the player, without giving them a headache.

The movement is jarring. Stop making excuses.

Mrbob said:
It's more like holding out a weapon to attack, so yes I would say in the case of samus she would hold her arm out straight. With a fixed perspective it'll make turning and moving more seamless to the player, without giving them a headache.

The movement is jarring. Stop making excuses.
i'm not making excuses. control could perhaps still need work, but by the end of this video the player is moving around and aiming much better than they are at the beginning. people always seem to ignore this when i say it, but imagine watching a video of someone using mouse and keys for the first time. they'd suck.

locking the arm and crosshairs to the middle of the screen just wouldn't work. seriously. why do you think no game is doing it?

i'm not saying this is more accurate than mouse and keys. i'm just saying that locked off aiming has no doubt been tried and discarded in favour of this.

when i turn in real life, i turn my head independantly of my body like everyone else. i don't keep my neck locked tight and turn so that were my arm out straight it's stay perfectly still in my view. i don't have to move my arm to turn either. neither is realistic surely?

Krowley

Mrbob said:
Wouldn't work? Well then I guess FPS games are doomed for failure on Wii then.

Before it's over with, most people will love the tradeoff. There will be a few who couldn't get used to it but most will enjoy this kind of scheme and come to appreciate it's advantages.

Mrbob said:
Wouldn't work? Well then I guess FPS games are doomed for failure on Wii then.
you're dooming a control method to failure based on a video of someone playing it who has had less than half an hour with the game. a person who says the controls are good. doesn't that seem a bit strange?

it's a whole new control method. it's going to take us all a little while adjusting too it before we'll be able to safely say 'okay i prefer this to joypad or mouse and keys'... but no this is GAF, so people watch a short video of it and doom an entire genre to failure.

9:04 ish to 9:06 ish Samus walks sideways while turning with the crosshairs fixed on a platform in the middle of the room. she circle strafes in other words. it's going to take some practice to be able to do that consistantly, and how close something can be before you can't circle strafe it will be determined by turn speed, but that's the same on all console FPS.

you weren't circle strafing reliably within 20 minutes of playing a FPS on a joypad or mouse and keys for the first time.

that's all i'm saying. until we try it for ourselves how can we know how much of this is down to shit controls and how much of this is down to inexperience with the controls?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Mrbob said:

i dunno about locking the reticule to the center, but the "invisible circle" (what's its proper name?) definitely needs to be made smaller.

locking the reticule would cause problems of its own i think. remember, the remote isn't like a mouse where it can actually be perfectly still, the remote will jitter about a little because you can't physically lock your arm into a position and not move it. a mouse however can just sit on your pad completely motionless if necessary.

locking the reticule to the center will mean the entire view will respond to those small jitters. that'll become extremely annoying and may even make people feel ill. reducing the invisible circle will eliminate the problem you brought up and will also avoid what i'm talking about.

jacktion

Banned
Scrow said:
i dunno about locking the reticule to the center, but the "invisible circle" (what's its proper name?) definitely needs to be made smaller.

locking the reticule would cause problems of its own i think. remember, the remote isn't like a mouse where it can actually be perfectly still, the remote will jitter about a little because you can't physically lock your arm into a position and not move it. a mouse however can just sit on your pad completely motionless if necessary.

locking the reticule to the center will mean the entire view will respond to those small jitters. that'll become extremely annoying and may even make people feel ill. reducing the invisible circle will eliminate the problem you brought up and will also avoid what i'm talking about.

This guy is right. Locking the view would mean your tv screen is constantly jumping and shaking and whipping around. Have you ever seen someone make a home movie who was really bad at it? It makes you sick. That's what the game would be like.
They merely need the circle to be reduced a little. The expert controls are looking a lot better but I think they should take it even farther.
Or better yet, why don't they just give you a slider that controls the invisible circle that moves the view? Make one end of the slider be the edge of the screen, and the other end of the screen be a tiny 1 inch circle. Then people can just set it where they want.

come on Retro. wise up and pay attention to people saying this stuff. just let us pick the sensitivity. we know what we want best.

MaddenNFL64

My opinion is that all Wii games that use the sensor bar need calibration options for users. We need to be able to pick whats best for our enviroment. I'm sure Ubi & Retro have thought of this already, but they need to act on this before it's too late, especially Ubi.

Edit: Hah, Red Steel will have full calibration... :p

Aurora

The video looks much more promising than the footage we saw at E3. Come 2007 I'm sure this game will be unmissable.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Isn't there some way they can just adjust the calibration of the unit to NOT pick up the jitters?

Or offer it as an option and I will play with it resting on my lap.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Isn't there some way they can just adjust the calibration of the unit to NOT pick up the jitters?

Or offer it as an option and I will play with it resting on my lap.
yeah if you want it be less precise, that's really the only way you could do it.

jarosh

jesus christ he plays like a ****ing retard.

stop shooting ALL THE TIME. stop shooting at everything whenever you enter a new room. STOP SHOOTING. and stop running around like a ****ing maniac.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
plagiarize said:
yeah if you want it be less precise, that's really the only way you could do it.

I'm willing to bet they could find a calibration that can account for small jitters but still be relatively precise--especially if they are using the lock-on feature, then it wouldn't matter at all.

But using this system, you could theoretically get blasted to hell from behind.

Of course, I'd like to play it first before I come to any conclusion.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
jarosh said:
jesus christ he plays like a ****ing retard.

stop shooting ALL THE TIME. stop shooting at everything whenever you enter a new room. STOP SHOOTING. and stop running around like a ****ing maniac.
:lol pretty much

the music was awesome btw.

I noticed that there was an 'advanced' option in the control options between beginner and expert. Sensitivity adjustments? Invisible circle adjustments?

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I'm willing to bet they could find a calibration that can account for small jitters but still be relatively precise--especially if they are using the lock-on feature, then it wouldn't matter at all.

Here is a scenario for you potentially playing an fps you described with the remote:
Turn right.
Now you need to turn some more.
turn your arm right again.

Where is your arm now?

jarosh

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I'm willing to bet they could find a calibration that can account for small jitters but still be relatively precise
i'm willing to bet that you're right. most pc fpses offer an option to smooth out mouse movements.

NeonZ

This guy is right. Locking the view would mean your tv screen is constantly jumping and shaking and whipping around. Have you ever seen someone make a home movie who was really bad at it? It makes you sick. That's what the game would be like.

They just need a small neutral area and that would be avoided.

Yes, trying to mimic a mouse with the Wiimote wouldnt feel natural, but neither a mouse nor dual sticks feel natural either. They could just include it as an alternate control set up for FPS games and keep the main one the way that it is right now.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Probationsmack said:
Here is a scenario for you potentially playing an fps you described with the remote:
Turn right.
Now you need to turn some more.
turn your arm right again.

Where is your arm now?
you're missing the fact that by holding the pointer at the edge of the screen, the game view automatically scrolls to center itself towards where the reticule should be. if you want to do a 180 turn to the right, you simply need to point to the right of the screen and wait for the game view to scroll to the position you want. the speed the game view scrolls is directly proportional to how close to the edge of the screen the pointer is.

so for example, if i held the pointer at the right side of the screen indefinitely, Samus would just continually spin around in circles. the closer to the edge the faster she spins.

SantaC

retro should just skip these defualt, advance and retro sens modes and offer customization of the sens. I mean even friggin Red Steel will offer custom sens.

effzee

Ark-AMN said:
Heh, awesome indeed, and the guy who's playing is a much more competent person than whoever IGN was recording. :)

for me that link only shows the e3 clips and a compilation vid from yesterday.

Ristamar

Scrow said:
you're missing the fact that by holding the pointer at the edge of the screen, the game view automatically scrolls to center itself towards where the reticule should be. if you want to do a 180 turn to the right, you simply need to point to the right of the screen and wait for the game view to scroll to the position you want. the speed the game view scrolls is directly proportional to how close to the edge of the screen the pointer is.

so for example, if i held the pointer at the right side of the screen indefinitely, Samus would just continually spin around in circles. the closer to the edge the faster she spins.

Seems like that'd make shooting enemies off-center far more difficult. You'd have to align the reticle to the target, then continously realign as it drifts to center. If the enemy is moving, it becomes even more complex.

Ark-AMN

Banned
effzee said:
for me that link only shows the e3 clips and a compilation vid from yesterday.
Look at the dates on the movies, find the ones from September 14. I don't know why Gametrailers doesn't seem to have any good ordering for their movies.

But when this guy is playing, the control looks even better! I swear, IGN got the worst player around to show off the game. :D

ShinNL

Scrow said:

That's for the adjusted controls. He was talking about mouse-like controls on the remote.

Y2Kevbug11 said:

i'm not going to lie to you. yeah. you likely won't be able to turn around as fast as you can with a mouse.

i can't think of anything that could let you aim more precisely than a mouse, but the idea of this is that it feels much more like actually aiming something, and that for new gamers it'll be easier to pick up and play.

turning to shoot people behind you should be markedly better than it is on consoles though, so while some aspects won't be as good as PC controls, some aspects will be better (analogue movement and motion controls).

effzee

Ark-AMN said:
Look at the dates on the movies, find the ones from September 14. I don't know why Gametrailers doesn't seem to have any good ordering for their movies.

But when this guy is playing, the control looks even better! I swear, IGN got the worst player around to show off the game. :D

thanks.

dannie

Ark-AMN said:

yes~~the guy playing very well~look like he even not playing at expert controls i notice

Squeak

plagiarize said:
i'm not going to lie to you. yeah. you likely won't be able to turn around as fast as you can with a mouse.

i can't think of anything that could let you aim more precisely than a mouse, but the idea of this is that it feels much more like actually aiming something, and that for new gamers it'll be easier to pick up and play.

turning to shoot people behind you should be markedly better than it is on consoles though, so while some aspects won't be as good as PC controls, some aspects will be better (analogue movement and motion controls).
But you could have both modes, you would just have to find an alternative button for the functions that the "lift mouse button" (most likely A) has.

And even within the mouselike control mode, you could still have the direct aiming method.
Here's how:

- Move the wiimote around like you would move a mouse, to turn the view.
- When you reach the edge of the screen, and thereby run out of space to move the wiimote through (just like when you reach the edge of the mousepad) you press the A button to "unhook" the view and wiimote movement.
- While the A is pressed, the wiimote (unlike a mouse) can still detect motion. That means, that besides allowing you to move the wiimote without the view changing, you could potentially aim and shoot directly with the wiimote, while the view is unhooked.

dark10x said:
Unfortunately, they are not.

Theres a very obvious yet arbitrary reason why the prime games arent in widescreen.
What could it be? hmmmm
*jeopardy music
and remember to answer in the form of a question

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Probationsmack said:
Theres a very obvious yet arbitrary reason why the prime games arent in widescreen.
What could it be? hmmmm
*jeopardy music
and remember to answer in the form of a question
What is Nintendo's stupidity?

jett

D-Member
That video was...well...It looked like the guy was pretty much struggling and fighting with the controls. MP3 is screaming for mouselike controls. I don't understand why don't they just do that shit.

papercut

jett said:
That video was...well...It looked like the guy was pretty much struggling and fighting with the controls. MP3 is screaming for mouselike controls. I don't understand why don't they just do that shit.

Say it with me: IF THE CROSSHAIR WAS LOCKED TO THE CENTER OF THE SCREEN, YOU WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO TURN.

Go ahead, try it. Take your TV remote and point it at your TV. Then move your arm as if you want to aim at something that was behind you. Go ahead, try it. Your arm would literally have to rotate until its pointing 180 degrees away from the TV. Get it?

Whoever is suggesting that there should be a "screen lock" or "recenter" button obviously hasn't thought it through. You'd have to DRAG your view or something equally annoying. Can you imagine trying to survive a firefight while simultaneously shooting AND trying to recenter the screen?

The controls as demonstrated are fine, deal with it.

ant1532

Banned
papercut said:
Say it with me: IF THE CROSSHAIR WAS LOCKED TO THE CENTER OF THE SCREEN, YOU WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO TURN.

Go ahead, try it. Take your TV remote and point it at your TV. Then move your arm as if you want to aim at something that was behind you. Go ahead, try it. Your arm would literally have to rotate until its pointing 180 degrees away from the TV. Get it?

Whoever is suggesting that there should be a "screen lock" or "recenter" button obviously hasn't thought it through. You'd have to DRAG your view or something equally annoying. Can you imagine trying to survive a firefight while simultaneously shooting AND trying to recenter the screen?

The controls as demonstrated are fine, deal with it.
You're so wrong it's not even worth trying to tell you why. I don't think you would comprehend it...

jett said:

Umm, it was obvious it was the player not the controls causing the problems. The guy was shooting randomly at doors and crap, couldn't follow onscreen directions, couldn't take visual cues (when the floating ball is the ONLY one not blue SHOOT it). I think he was just inept and he himself couldn't aim well, not that it was hard to aim

papercut

ant1532 said:
You're so wrong it's not even worth trying to tell you why. I don't think you would comprehend it...

If I'm wrong, tell me. But as I currently see it, there's no way to keep the crosshair centered ala mouselook. With a mouse, you can pick it up and move it to the other side of the mousepad to keep turning. How do you do that with the wiimote?

Top Bottom