• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - Metriod Prime 3 full demo w/ expert controls

Rorschach

J2 Cool said:
Did you like Metroid Prime?
Yes...it just seems slow like the control scheme is a chore and dated.

And yeah, I own Metroid hunters and both Primes...

OG_Original Gamer said:
I assume you prefer constant action. If so, MP3 is not type of game.

...there was a LOT of action in that vid....

Wink

Wow. That blows me away. Those scripted scenes were jaw-dropping... Samus walks along this corridor when a projectile blows a hole into the station. A space marine running towards you gets sucked into space and a security door shuts off the destroyed part... All in one second.

I'm all over this, 2007 can't come fast enough.

Looks like MP3 is going to stick with the combat-heavy "Halotroid" approach of MP2 :\ that's not what Metroid is supposed to be :(

It's totally unappealing to me, honestly.

That looked freaking amazing!!! Now those are the type of graphics one would expect from Wii. Galaxy and Princess look good, but this seriously blows them away. All the little lighting touches and the textures and modeling is great.

Greenpanda said:
Looks like MP3 is going to stick with the combat-heavy "Halotroid" approach of MP2 :\ that's not what Metroid is supposed to be :(

even got the voice of the commander broadcasting inside the helmet

now this is a game i might enjoy! (i never played past the 3rd boss in Prime) ;)

Wink

Greenpanda said:

I don't think that's necessarily true. It was a good stage to let the journos try out the expert sensitivity. They just decided to concentrate on action for this event. I'm sure MP3 will have a lot to explore and many puzzles to solve :)

Greenpanda said:

There's the possibility that this big action scene leads to you being stranded, alone, on a desolate planet.

Maybe you could even lose all your weapons?

:D

etiolate

Banned
Rorschach said:
Yes...it just seems slow like the control scheme is a chore and dated.

And yeah, I own Metroid hunters and both Primes...

...there was a LOT of action in that vid....

At times it seemed to turn faster than others. I am not sure the reason, if it's still being refined or if the player's hand movements were slower.

Treefrog

Really impressed with what I saw. The immersion looks incredible, looks like they're taking it in a great direction. Wasn't a fan of how that commander looked.

Aeana

While the first bit of the video certainly DID remind me of Halo, and I am moderately worried, I will keep faith until I play it myself. As long as they manage to keep the feeling of isolation for the majority of the game, it should be good.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I believe this is like the beginning of the first game, which is why it's like that.

jepense

etiolate said:
At times it seemed to turn faster than others. I am not sure the reason, if it's still being refined or if the player's hand movements were slower.

I think the turning speed depends on how close the cursor is to the edge of the screen. Most of the time he's turning by pointing something like 2/3 from the center to the edge.

Ark-AMN

Banned
jj984jj said:
I believe this is like the beginning of the first game, which is why it's like that.
Indeed, you notice that this is where Samus picks up the Missle launcher (though that may be just a demo gameplay event). Though I assume that when she gets down to the planet, she reaches the level that was playable at E3.

Baryn

Banned
I could not play it as it is now, it would drive me nuts.

Has Samus been sitting around eating oreos and playing videogames for the six months after Aether? That would be an excellent canon explanation for why she turns so slowly.

Snaku

Banned
I was really impressed by that demo. The immersion factor looks to have increased quite a bit, and it's one of the best looking next gen games. Can't wait to get into Samus' pants...powersuit again.

Treefrog said:
Wasn't a fan of how that commander looked.

Yeah, that's the one thing that bugged me.

Krowley

watching the whole video.... If you focus on the center of the screen, and ignore the cursor and arm except when he is aiming, it feels very natural now... When you're actually playing, that's probably what you'll do anyway once you get used to pushing towards the edge to move.

Graphics look great... I thought it looked better than mp2 at last e3, but now it's light years better, or at least it seems that way. All the little details are stuning.

Wollan

I think they could have narrowed down the free look a bit so you don't have to go all the way(or very near) the edge of the screen to push it around, I think that would helped it a bit.

Squeak

I'm flabbergasted that Retro still hasn't implemented a fixed reticule control method.
Look it's very simple, hold A to "lift the mouse" and when not pressed the view will follow the wiimote like a mouse. Just do it FFS!

So what if it takes away one button, you still have the d-pad and the two triggers on the analog stick.
This is the only really good way to control a fps. on Wii, everything else is a step back (even from Hunters on DS).

big_z

I hope you don't have to scan every ****ing rock and bolt in this game.... all the scanning in mp/mp2e slowed down and broke up the gameplay too much.

Squeak said:
I'm flabbergasted that Retro still hasn't implemented a fixed reticule control method.
Look it's very simple, hold A to "lift the mouse" and when not pressed the view will follow the wiimote like a mouse. Just do it FFS!

So what if it takes away one button, you still have the d-pad and the two triggers on the analog stick.
This is the only really good way to control a fps. on Wii, everything else is a step back (even from Hunters on DS).

No. Constant re-centering is bad. I like what I'm seeing. There's nothing wrong with a "step back". Stop wishing for a mouse. PC FPS levels of over-sensitivity and ridiculous nanosecond wrist-flicking turns are even less realistic than slow analog stick viewing/turning. This looks like a very decent middle ground, and it looks like it will retain the immersiveness of being in the Power Suit, and it's instantly accessible. Your "lift mouse" button would confuse anyone not weaned on the PC and kill immersiveness.

A slider bar instead of 3 levels of "deadzone" to choose from would be nice, though. Especially when default looks frustratingly slow and unintuitive.

ivysaur12

Banned
As long as the turning is improved (which I'm sure is part of the reason for the delay), I'll be a very happy camper. It looks unbelievable.

Looked awesome, the atmosphere was right, the music did a good job of enhancing the mood and intensity of the scenes, the scripted events were fantastic. The visuals were stunning; great use of lighting and gorgeous textures. Wow, I'm pumped for this.

few things. turning speed is faster than prime and prime 2s.

you didn't have to scan every rock in prime or prime 2... just key things which were highlighted red. i'll never understand people bitching about having to scan everything. you didn't have to scan everything guys!

and one more time... does anyone here seriously think that Retro didn't at one point prototype a fixed reticule to see how it plays with the Wiimote?

ignoring the fact that circle strafing is easily achieved here with the lock on (and quite probably possible without) that whole gameplay mechanic came from the keyboard and mouse controls.

at the very least Wii games will allow for linear straffing while keeping a bead on your enemies... something that mouse and keys can't do.

all it sounds like they need do is turn the maximum turn speed up a notch and let the player configure it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Greenpanda said:

That's EXACTLY what I thought.

I really don't like the direction they are taking. Prime was incredibly unique and special as a result of the atmosphere and design of the game. It truly felt like nothing else out there and presented some of the best level design I had seen. Truly a landmark achievement and my favorite game on the Gamecube. Prime 2 was simply not as good and, unfortunately, it seems as if Prime 3 is moving even further from the original.

I'm not trolling here, but this truly is a game that would have benefitted most from the increased power of the 360 or PS3. The control scheme brings what? Something closer to an FPS? A few cute interactions? What Metroid needs it its atmosphere and a more powerful machine could have delivered a world the likes of which might have had the same incredible impact on us today that Prime did back in 2002. Every other Wii game looks pretty much at home on the machine, but not Prime 3. The focus of the Wii flies in the face of Prime. When I first heard them talking about their Wii control scheme and how they will be able to come close to matching a mouse and keyboard for optimal shooting action...I shed a tear. Metroid is not a f*cking first person shooter. I actually believe that the nature of the waggle wand is going to damage the fluidity the Prime series is known for (it felt absoltuely PERFECT as a result of the smooth turning of the analog stick).

Well, whatever, even if it fails to match the original, I'm sure they will still produce an excellent game. It just won't be as excellent as it could have been.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Instead of 3 different control 'levels' why don't they just have a scale where you can choose whatever sensitivity you like, from 'cursor stuck in the middle' to 'turn like a bus'.

dannie

Roders5 said:
Instead of 3 different control 'levels' why don't they just have a scale where you can choose whatever sensitivity you like, from 'cursor stuck in the middle' to 'turn like a bus'.
it just a demo......everything will possible in later~~

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
****, THIS IS AMAZING. THE DEMO IS ****ING AMAZING. ****ING ART! ****ING MUSIC! THE CONTROLS LOOK GREAT! AND THE GAME LOOKS AS IT SHOULDS: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA++++++".

METROID PRIME 3 CORRUPTION LOOKS LIKE THE BEST SHOOTER EVER! CAN'T WAIT!

Cdammen

Love the use of bloom and depth of field (can anyone verify that because I'm watching the low rez QT-movie)! Great use of color and lightning and the overall aesthetics were just freakin' sweet. Retro Studios nailed the design, once again :)

Retro Studios have confirmed time after time that this game won't lose the elements of adventure, exploration and puzzle solving; for those worried, well it's your own fault you choose to be pessimistic and not listen to what Retro has promised. And the game looks brilliant; it can look better, but the visuals, atmosphere and music do the job just fine. This video seems like the opening which is very similar to the opening of Metroid Prime. I laugh when people talk about a Metroid game having "too much action", shooting has ALWAYS been a factor in the games (as well as fast paced gameplay), it's the Prime games that toned it down a bit. Prime 2 is closer to the typical Metroid game than Prime is.

tanasten

Magicpaint said:
Retro Studios have confirmed time after time that this game won't lose the elements of adventure, exploration and puzzle solving; for those worried, well it's your own fault you choose to be pessimistic and not listen to what Retro has promised. And the game looks brilliant; it can look better, but the visuals, atmosphere and music do the job just fine. This video seems like the opening which is very similar to the opening of Metroid Prime. I laugh when people talk about a Metroid game having "too much action", shooting has ALWAYS been a factor in the games (as well as fast paced gameplay), it's the Prime games that toned it down a bit. Prime 2 is closer to the typical Metroid game than Prime is.

In fact, the only thing I doesn't like from Prime 1&2 is that the action doesn't stand up to the classics. Corruption seems to solve this problem a lot (but I must admit that i feel like it's not perfect yet).

I guess that the dodge & shoot type of action can't be simulation on 3D in a closer way that with the lock on.

MaddenNFL64

That vid was pure ecstacy. The graphics are above anything done on Wii up until now, and looks almost next gen, especially with the lighting. The music was top notch, and, to me anyway, blew away any of the music on MP1 & 2.

The only thing that bugged me was the rushing-through-demo crap. At least look outside the windows, watch the scripted fighting etc. once in a while.

Edit: Yeah, i'm hoping Retro gives the user full control on sensitivity, and turning abilty. They should add an option to lock the reticule in the middle, unless it breaks the game in some way.

Tiktaalik

That video looked very good. The graphics were great and the scripted stuff was really great. The turning should definitely still be faster.

MaddenNFL64

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20060914082131989.jpg

I'm excited for MP3, but that's still king.

tanasten

Stop with the center crosshair shit. It simply will not work with the Wiimote. On the mouse you can "up it" and again do the extended movement, but with the wiimote simply doesn't rule out. You have a pointer, it's better the way they're using it now.

When we get to play it, i'm sure everyone will be happy. Just look at todays video, they're controlling the game perfectly!

MaddenNFL64

metdroid said:
The game looks good, but the controls still shit me. Is it so hard to put in a mode with a centred crosshair?

It probably is, but here's hoping. The game still requires lock-on for circle strafes, since you need to move the reticule to the corners to look. 1:1 is tough though, since you need to center your hands back to stop from looking. Lots of people could end up just spinning uncontrollably at certain moments when they get lazy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Has anybody nailed Retro on the whole 16:9 thing, by the way? I'd be very disappointed if they released Prime 3 in 4:3 format only as the game is begging for 16:9.

dark10x said:
Has anybody nailed Retro on the whole 16:9 thing, by the way? I'd be very disappointed if they released Prime 3 in 4:3 format only as the game is begging for 16:9.
I know Matt-IGN has been asking them about it, and they are aware of the complaints. With the delay, I'm hoping they'll add 16:9. It'll be interesting.

metdroid said:
The game looks good, but the controls still shit me. Is it so hard to put in a mode with a centred crosshair?
evidently given that no one is doing it, even so far as taking a game like far cry instincts, that WAS with a locked off crosshair and putting effort in to give it this style of controls.

i'll say it again, there's no reason that with a fast enough turn speed circle strafing won't be possible with practice.

tanasten said:
****, THIS IS AMAZING. THE DEMO IS ****ING AMAZING. ****ING ART! ****ING MUSIC! THE CONTROLS LOOK GREAT! AND THE GAME LOOKS AS IT SHOULDS: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA++++++".

METROID PRIME 3 CORRUPTION LOOKS LIKE THE BEST SHOOTER EVER! CAN'T WAIT!

WOULD BUY FROM AGAIN ASSET TO EBAY

Top Bottom