• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: More Majora's Mask teasing from Aonuma.

I'm willing to bet this guy:

yfnlc4Ml.jpg

...is actually The Happy Mask Salesman wearing one of his own masks.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Majora's Mask was not only in a different continuity (the LTTP "timeline" branch spawns from a "what-if" where Link actually loses at the end of OOT), but is hundreds and hundreds of years before any of the events in this new game. So if there's a connection there, it won't be a sequential one, but it could certainly give some context to the events of Majora's Mask. OOT Link being defeated at the end of his game would yield a continuity where he never goes to Termina and stops the moon, after all, so this world might be the after-effects of that.

terrisus

dunno why all the 3DS fans want this so badly

I want it on my Wii U in HD!
AU7Amsc.gif

Because "HD" versions of games - unless they add something else to the game other than a pointless graphics update - are meaningless.
I want it on 3DS so I can have a portable version of it (even though it is one of my less-liked Zelda games).

Alec

You guys might tear me apart for this, but I really disliked MM because of the 'time limit'. I was never able to deal with it for long enough to learn the songs to rewind\fast-forward. I hate, hate, hate, hate time limits of any kind. I like to take my time doing absolutely everything.

So I GameShark'ed that shit so that I could control time using the L and R triggers. Only then did I enjoy myself.

With that said, I'm looking forward to a remake of any kind. Having played through it illegitimately, I hopefully won't feel the need to explore every nook and cranny in any future re-releases.

Mr-Joker

Banned

AU7Amsc.gif

Because Majora's Mask 3D is more realistic than it getting a full HD remakes especially when the Wii U already got a HD remaster of Winkwaker.

Furthermore the 3DS need game for 2014 so I wouldn't be surprised to see it released next year.

Jarsonot

This seems like as much of a "yes it's happening" as we're going to get.

Oh wait - it's Nintendo. This is just a "yes we will acknowledge Majora's Mask exists."

Smellycat

I think the rabbit looking guy probably has something to do with it. But the biggest hint is the reflection in the new artwork. You can see a bunch of guys wearing masks.

Rehynn

Please, no.

Don't spend time and money remaking an already perfect game.

Also, don't make me relive what was perhaps the most exhausting gaming experience I've ever had. I'd just get the game for my collection and not play it because it would consume me for a month again.

Because Majora's Mask 3D is more realistic than it getting a full HD remakes especially when the Wii U already got a HD remaster of Winkwaker.

Furthermore the 3DS need game for 2014 so I wouldn't be surprised to see it released next year.

Grezzo (the company that Nintendo would contract out for a Majora's Mask port) has experience with the 3DS and DS. They don't have experience making games in HD.

Nintendo would most likely have to contract out a Wii U version to some other company, which may be too inconvenient logistically speaking as Nintendo has been having to push team sizes to the limit / consolidate teams for HD development.

That, and a 3DS remake would be cheaper than a full-on Wii U one and would likely have greater sales.

Darryl

Banned
Majora's Mask was not only in a different continuity (the LTTP "timeline" branch spawns from a "what-if" where Link actually loses at the end of OOT), but is hundreds and hundreds of years before any of the events in this new game. So if there's a connection there, it won't be a sequential one, but it could certainly give some context to the events of Majora's Mask. OOT Link being defeated at the end of his game would yield a continuity where he never goes to Termina and stops the moon, after all, so this world might be the after-effects of that.

but what if there's only one lorule across all timelines?

don't think so. a link between worlds happens way after the events of ocarina of time.

It's also on a different timeline, if Nintendo is intent on keeping up with this crap.

A Link Between Worlds should be taking place after A Link to the Past, which is in the timeline of Ganon being successful in Ocarina, and Major'as Mask is the child timeline of if Link is successful

The Happy Mask Salesman obviously has some sort of magical power and can bend spacetime. It would be cool if this is where he originally got Majora's Mask before going to Termina. Because of his strange nature, Nintendo could easily pass him off as staying within the rules of the timeline.

ajjow

Well, they revealed a art of a castle today and you can see 4 people using masks on the reflection of the water. My opinion is that they are the 4 gods of majoras.... Maybe torule will become the city of majoras mask.

Please, no.

Also, don't make me relive what was perhaps the most exhausting gaming experience I've ever had. I'd just get the game for my collection and not play it because it would consume me for a month again.

There's no such thing as a perfect game.

Cheebo

Banned
Screw the 3ds I want it on the wii u make it look like this

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=/#/watch?v=cyazYYev7Nw

It's not going to be on WiIU, Nintendo does not have the resources to do another Zelda HD remake, especially N64 which would require far more effort than the cel-shaded GCN game.

Not to mention OOT remake was on 3DS, most of the assets are all done. It would make far more money on 3DS and is far cheaper to make. I can't see a single reason to make it on WiiU over it unless Nintendo wanted to waste money.

Marjar

Banned
Please, no.

Majora's Mask is far from a perfect game.

Albo

Hmm, his comment isn't really confirmation on anything to do with MM 3D, or that MM will have any role in the game other than the cameo. Could just be teasing to increase the buzz surrounding this game and MM 3D.

Would've been a downer if he outright confirmed the game has nothing to do with MM after it was already revealed the mask would feature as at least a cameo. It feels like he's been teasing and giving ambiguous answers in a lot of interviews in recent years to keep fans on their toes.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
but what if there's only one lorule across all timelines?

It would certainly be interesting. I'd love a game that makes an effort to unify the timelines. But the issue is that the LTTP branch isn't really a "timeline," so much as it's a distinct canon. The Wind Waker and Majora's Mask timelines exist within the same continuity, they're the timeline Link traveled to at the end of OOT, and the one he left behind. The LTTP branch being based on a "what if" scenario, though, where Ganon defeated him at the end of OOT, basically makes the entire branch non-canon. Or more accurately, "differently-canon." Lorule could certainly exist in all three branches, but while two of those branches share a continuity, I doubt any events could cross between those two and the isolated LTTP one.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
THE END OF "A LINK BETWEEN WORLDS"

BUT LINK WILL BE BACK
IN "MAJORA'S MASK: AONUMA'S LAST LAUGH"

El Sabroso

AU7Amsc.gif
Me too

It makes no sense for it to be on WiiU.

It makes far far more sense on 3DS. Since the vast majority of the assets were already done for OOT 3D. And it's the sister game of OOT. You'd release it on the same platform as the OOT remake. It'd be like remaking FFX on one platform and remaking X-2 on the other.
Nah, don't let them be lazy, they actually have to redo at least the 3D models and in 3DS is not as a big change comparing to how a WiiU version could be seen.

Darryl

Banned
It would certainly be interesting. I'd love a game that makes an effort to unify the timelines. But the issue is that the LTTP branch isn't really a "timeline," so much as it's a distinct canon. The Wind Waker and Majora's Mask timelines exist within the same continuity, they're the timeline Link traveled to at the end of OOT, and the one he left behind. The LTTP branch being based on a "what if" scenario, though, where Ganon defeated him at the end of OOT, basically makes the entire branch non-canon. Or more accurately, "differently-canon." Lorule could certainly exist in all three branches, but while two of those branches share a continuity, I doubt any events could cross between those two and the isolated LTTP one.

i think that it'd be awesome if they stuck so adamantly by the timeline that they take things like this into account but i have a gut feeling that nintendo will attempt to simplify it around the edges

RagnarokX

Okay, how about this.

Lorule was once a land as beautiful as Hyrule called Termina. One day Majora's Mask appeared and chucked a moon at Termina, destroying everything. The people built Lorule on the ruins of Termina. Or maybe Majora just fucked shit up changing things into other things.

This is an alternate timeline from the one Majora's Mask took place in, so this would be an alternate Majora just like how WW Ganon, TP Ganon, and ALttP Ganon are all the same person in different timelines.

The music in the trailer when they show Yuga has a very Majora's Mask sound to it.

Super Mario World says sup

SMW isn't perfect. It's too lacking in challenge and the level design could be better.

ALBW doesn't look very good though, doesn't look like it does anything innovative with the dark world and the scroll Link looks like a gimmick. Graphics are also ugly judging from what we’ve see, below Nintendo’s usual standards. MM is probably the greatest game ever made, but ideally they should have made a new 3D Zelda using the Ocarina of Time engine which doesn’t look bad at all.

Still may give ALBW a go if Gaffers say it's better than it looks.

Cheebo

Banned
Me too

Nah, don't let them be lazy, they actually have to redo at least the 3D models and in 3DS is not as a big change comparing to how a WiiU version could be seen.

Its not about laziness. It makes no sense OOT was remade for 3DS. And MM is the direct sequel and shares most of its models & assets with OOT.

Drona

Banned
in a perfect world we would be getting a MM remake for both Wii U and 3DS followed by another TIME AND MASK based Zelda game on the Wii U. BRING BACK THE MASKS!!!

Top Bottom