• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: More Majora's Mask teasing from Aonuma.

Yonafunu

I just forgot I played this like a week ago and it felt soo good and the controls were perfect and snappy and fluid and everything was soo smooth and 60 fps and aaarrgh.

But seriously, the controls are soo good. It was the first thing I noticed, and it just feels great. Extremely fluid and responsive.

Anteo

don't think so. a link between worlds happens way after the events of ocarina of time.

Alttp and Albw happen in the 3rd failed timeline, while MM happens in the TP timeline. Unless Link survived in the failed timeline and went to termina anyways.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
i think that it'd be awesome if they stuck so adamantly by the timeline that they take things like this into account but i have a gut feeling that nintendo will attempt to simplify it around the edges

Well they basically made up that "what if" scenario after the fact, when you consider that OOT was factually made to be the Imprisoning War, and then they recanted years later because they realized they messed it all up. So you're right, they're certainly not opposed to bending their fiction to suit their needs. It's possible they might try to tie all three back together some day.

Anteo

Well they basically made up that "what if" scenario after the fact, when you consider that OOT was factually made to be the Imprisoning War, and then they recanted years later because they realized they messed it all up. So you're right, they're certainly not opposed to bending their fiction to suit their needs. It's possible they might try to tie all three back together some day.

I dont think they will ever tie them back, having 3 timelines or more allows them to not worry too much about the story on games, as they have better chances to make them fit any of the three (or make it a prequel to SS)

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Please, no.

Don't spend time and money remaking an already perfect game.

Also, don't make me relive what was perhaps the most exhausting gaming experience I've ever had. I'd just get the game for my collection and not play it because it would consume me for a month again.

I recently finished Majora's Mask, and it's a game that the N64 doesn't treat that kindly. The frame rate is extremely hard to get used to, to a point where everything just feels so heavy. Grezzo redid all the animations for Ocarina of Time 3D just to get the game running at 30 frames per second. It's easily the best version of the game and controls really nicely, I don't see how they couldn't do the same for Majora.

I do wonder if Nintendo will ever try a hard cell shaded look for the Majora's Mask remake. The 3DS is capable of such an effect.

ALBW doesn't look very good though, doesn't look like it does anything innovative with the dark world and the scroll Link looks like a gimmick. Graphics are also ugly judging from what we’ve see, below Nintendo’s usual standards. MM is probably the greatest game ever made, but ideally they should have made a new 3D Zelda using the Ocarina of Time engine which doesn’t look bad at all.

Still may give ALBW a go if Gaffers say it's better than it looks.

You say "gimmick" like it's an idea to just brush off, but through the videos I've seen it opens up a lot of great puzzles and ideas. How is this 'gimmick' any different from any other Zelda, including Majora's Mask with its 3 day cycle and masks? They all open up new ways for a Zelda game to play, and I like that they're changing it up.

RagnarokX

Alttp and Albw happen in the 3rd failed timeline, while MM happens in the TP timeline. Unless Link survived in the failed timeline and went to termina anyways.

Majora's Mask doesn't need Link to go to Termina to exist. The only thing Link did to influence Majora's Mask was to kill it. In this timeline either Majora's Mask would have never gone on a rampage in the first place because Skull Kid never went to Termina or Majora would have wrecked Termina unhindered.

DynamicG

The games are in separate timelines though. Wouldn't this be an alternate take on what happened to the mask rather than how it becomes the mask from the N64 game?

Bagu

It would certainly be interesting. I'd love a game that makes an effort to unify the timelines. But the issue is that the LTTP branch isn't really a "timeline," so much as it's a distinct canon. The Wind Waker and Majora's Mask timelines exist within the same continuity, they're the timeline Link traveled to at the end of OOT, and the one he left behind. The LTTP branch being based on a "what if" scenario, though, where Ganon defeated him at the end of OOT, basically makes the entire branch non-canon. Or more accurately, "differently-canon." Lorule could certainly exist in all three branches, but while two of those branches share a continuity, I doubt any events could cross between those two and the isolated LTTP one.
You know Nintendo could always recon the "Link is defeated" bit with something involving all that time travel. Then they fit in the same canon.

When you get the special bonus ending, you watch the credits, and then afterwards, you see the phrase "You have unlocked The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask! Select it from the main menu!"

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
You know Nintendo could always recon the "Link is defeated" bit with something involving all that time travel. Then they fit in the same canon.

That's what I wish they had done in the first place, really. It woulda been so easy! Say that every time Link travels back in time during the course of the game, he splits the timelines. Traditionally in a time traveling video game those timelines are just discarded by the plot, but they coulda said that the LTTP branch grew out of one of those "abandoned" timelines. The sages need to all be activated, so it could be some time traveling he did before the end of the game but after all the dungeons, and since he doesn't really think about the consequences of time travel, he doesn't particularly realize that these timelines are being orphaned without him, left to Ganon's machinations. That last one with all the active sages could still seal away Ganondorf like Hyrule Historia says they do, and boom, LTTP branch all set up.

But nope, instead we have this dumb "Link was defeated" pap. I can only hope they one day flesh-out/retcon it into something more like what I described.

FlynnCL said:
You say "gimmick" like it's an idea to just brush off, but through the videos I've seen it opens up a lot of great puzzles and ideas. How is this 'gimmick' any different from any other Zelda, including Majora's Mask with its 3 day cycle and masks? They all open up new ways for a Zelda game to play, and I like that they're changing it up.
The 3-day structure of MM affects the whole game, the whole plot was based around it, it added more potential for character interaction and made the player plan their traversal around the world more. Scroll Link looks like it was just added so Nintendo can say they have a new idea. ALBW might have great ideas but everything we've seen hasn't convinced me.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wait, this topic made me realize something. Did the Termina of the Wind Waker and Link to the Past timelines basically get screwed over? Did the timeline split even apply to Termina?

Either way, if Nintendo does tie in Link Between Worlds into Majora's Mask, that would be a really nice move on their part. I think we're all used to Zelda games oversimplifying their lore, which is always extremely frustrating. It has so much potential, but is so frequently watered down into something less than it can be so that it can "be a legend of its own" and appeal to a wider audience.

Lately, though, Nintendo has been surprisingly better about it. Here's hoping that the stronger focus on cohesive lore sticks around...

The 3-day structure of MM affects the whole game, the whole plot was based around it, it added more potential for character interaction and made the player plan their traversal around the world more. Scroll Link looks like it was just added so Nintendo can say they have a new idea. ALBW might have great ideas but everything we've seen hasn't convinced me.

Same goes for painting Link as shown in the new footage...

RagnarokX

Wait, this topic made me realize something. Did the Termina of the Wind Waker and Link to the Past timelines basically get screwed over? Did the timeline split even apply to Termina?

Either way, if Nintendo does tie in Link Between Worlds into Majora's Mask, that would be a really nice move on their part. I think we're all used to Zelda games oversimplifying their lore, which is always extremely frustrating. It has so much potential, but is so frequently watered down into something less than it can be so that it can "be a legend of its own" and appeal to a wider audience.

Lately, though, Nintendo has been surprisingly better about it. Here's hoping that the stronger focus on cohesive lore sticks around...
That depends. It's possible that in the other timelines Skull Kid never stole Majora's Mask.

It's also possible that Termina doesn't have alternates because it could be considered like another timeline parallel to the other 3 and crossing over to it could be no different from Wind Waker Link crossing over into the Twilight Princess timeline.

OnPoint

Looking forward to the Zelda fanbase saying exactly the opposite when the 'how' is revealed.

i remember I played MM at my friends house when I was younger. I immediately stopped playing after like 10 or so minutes. I hate it when games put me on a timer, don't tell me what pace I should be playing. Never bought it cause of that, don't plan on buying a hd port of it either. Imo that is hands down the worst mechanic in any game, worse than qte

Bagu

That's what I wish they had done in the first place, really. It woulda been so easy! Say that every time Link travels back in time during the course of the game, he splits the timelines. Traditionally in a time traveling video game those timelines are just discarded by the plot, but they coulda said that the LTTP branch grew out of one of those "abandoned" timelines. The sages need to all be activated, so it could be some time traveling he did before the end of the game but after all the dungeons, and since he doesn't really think about the consequences of time travel, he doesn't particularly realize that these timelines are being orphaned without him, left to Ganon's machinations. That last one with all the active sages could still seal away Ganondorf like Hyrule Historia says they do, and boom, LTTP branch all set up.

But nope, instead we have this dumb "Link was defeated" pap. I can only hope they one day flesh-out/retcon it into something more like what I described.
Really unless they play up the "what if" aspect of it, it's such a minor thing you easily pretend the words in Hyrule Historia with time travel shenanigans.

Speaking of Hyrule Historia, I would love for them to give Link a new model based on that sketch of him on page 151!

ALM5252

It would certainly be interesting. I'd love a game that makes an effort to unify the timelines. But the issue is that the LTTP branch isn't really a "timeline," so much as it's a distinct canon. The Wind Waker and Majora's Mask timelines exist within the same continuity, they're the timeline Link traveled to at the end of OOT, and the one he left behind. The LTTP branch being based on a "what if" scenario, though, where Ganon defeated him at the end of OOT, basically makes the entire branch non-canon. Or more accurately, "differently-canon." Lorule could certainly exist in all three branches, but while two of those branches share a continuity, I doubt any events could cross between those two and the isolated LTTP one.

I know this game is LTTP's sequel, but what if it really isn't the DIRECT sequel to the game. Like, it's the same world and stuff, but what happened in LTTP does not affect what is happening in LBW. Like, LBW is in the child timeline opposite of LTTP in the "defeated" timeline? Could be possible if Nintendo wants to connect the lore of MM to LBW.

EDIT: Think same world, same time-frame (so and so years after OOT), but alternate reality like the three confirmed branch timelines.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Well, will it be a teaser or a clarification that MM begins when ALBW ends?

iUilyOkDKvmkz.gif

that would make no sense.... unless the Mask Salesman is traveling through time and to different dimensions...

...Oh shit, what if he's Doctor Who?!?!?

RagnarokX

I know this game is LTTP's sequel, but what if it really isn't the DIRECT sequel to the game. Like, it's the same world and stuff, but what happened in LTTP does not affect what is happening in LBW. Like, LBW is in the child timeline opposite of LTTP in the "defeated" timeline? Could be possible if Nintendo wants to connect the lore of MM to LBW.

EDIT: Think same world, same time-frame (so and so years after OOT), but alternate reality like the three confirmed branch timelines.

Uh, we have artwork that will likely be the intro of ALBW showing the events of ALttP with Link defeating Ganon and the sages sealing Ganon. I'm pretty sure these paintings are displayed in Hyrule Castle in the new trailer.

Darryl

Banned
Looking forward to the Zelda fanbase saying exactly the opposite when the 'how' is revealed.

Yea they're walking in a mine field by messing with that game. Hopefully they understand what it is people liked about it and try to avoid undermining that.

ALM5252

Uh, we have artwork that will likely be the intro of ALBW showing the events of ALttP with Link defeating Ganon and the sages sealing Ganon. I'm pretty sure these paintings are displayed in Hyrule Castle in the new trailer.

I never played LTTP, so I apologize if I missed any of that. Was just a thought that could justify why Majora's Mask and A Link Between Worlds could be connected if they are at all...

I guess another thing could be say, Majora gets sealed in the mask then sent to another dimension/reality, which is were Termina is during the child timeline. I don't know, just brain storming. :)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

YQlcDrQ.jpg

Looks like a pretty explicit reference to the events of LTTP to me. I get your point, but we've seen items like this, and sketchy game-intro artwork of Link fighting blue Pig Ganon, so I think it's probably indeed in the LTTP branch.

RagnarokX

Didn't WW's intro already sort of acknowledge that the events of OoT split Hyrule into two (or thee, whatever) timelines? Not to mention both it and TP frequently reference actual characters/locations/events from OoT. Or do you mean something else?

Actually the first clue that there was a timeline split is in OoT itself. In OoT's ending, When Link is sent back in time to his childhood and meets with Zelda at the castle he is shown having the Triforce of Courage in his hand. This means that that scene wasn't just a memory of what happened but a new version of what happened. Plus Majora's Mask happening right after that and it was totally okay for Link to leave Hyrule. Ganon clearly wasn't a threat anymore in the new timeline.

The King of Red Lions says that the Hero of Time left on a journey that caused the Triforce of Courage to leave him and become broken up. Many people assumed this was a reference to leaving to Termina, but Aonuma said in an interview before WW came out that OoT had two endings and WW took place in the ending where Link was an adult, so really the journey was being sent back in time.

WW, TP, and ALttP are all sequels to OoT with no games currently taking place between them (except MM, but you know what I mean).

Well hopefully he didn't just spoil the shit out of Between Worlds. I'm taking it as "just play the damn Zelda in front of you and quit asking about MM for now."

i remember I played MM at my friends house when I was younger. I immediately stopped playing after like 10 or so minutes. I hate it when games put me on a timer, don't tell me what pace I should be playing. Never bought it cause of that, don't plan on buying a hd port of it either. Imo that is hands down the worst mechanic in any game, worse than qte

Sounds to me like you confused being able to control time with having a timer...

AntMurda

Read on a Japanese forum that Hidemaro Fujibayashi was directing this game. Should be interesting how this EAD designer fares after directing Skyward Sword. Produced by Aonuma of course.

AniHawk

Read on a Japanese forum that Hidemaro Fujibayashi was directing this game. Should be interesting how this EAD designer fares after directing Skyward Sword. Produced by Aonuma of course.

he directed the minish cap as well. my expectations are high.

Man, I just don't understand all this timeline stuff, and this is coming from a fan of Doctor Who, Donnie Darko, and Bioshock: Infinite.

I have some mad research to do before I probably touch ALBW.

CMSC

Neo Member
The real question here is not about the existence of Majora's Mask in the three timelines, it is about what kind of role it will have in each one (We already know what happened in one timeline though)

Herne

dunno why all the 3DS fans want this so badly

I want it on my Wii U in HD!
AU7Amsc.gif

This. Hell, I'd take the 3DS graphics of Ocarina and the inevitable Majora on the Wii U. And people would double dip for it. Come on Nintendo, it's more money! Zelda fans will buy anything with "Zelda" and "Nintendo" on it! Multiple times!

balohna

Man, I just don't understand all this timeline stuff, and this is coming from a fan of Doctor Who, Donnie Darko, and Bioshock: Infinite.

I have some mad research to do before I probably touch ALBW.

The main thing you need to know is that the story between the games barely matters. They made most of the timeline connections, etc. recently to explain why they keep telling variations of the same story.

semiconscious

Gold Member

file under 'top 10 biggest mistakes anyone interested in playing the best games ever made could make'...

Sounds to me like you confused being able to control time with having a timer...

this...

Top Bottom