• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: More Majora's Mask teasing from Aonuma.

i remember I played MM at my friends house when I was younger. I immediately stopped playing after like 10 or so minutes. I hate it when games put me on a timer, don't tell me what pace I should be playing. Never bought it cause of that, don't plan on buying a hd port of it either. Imo that is hands down the worst mechanic in any game, worse than qte

What the fuck am I even reading? Play for longer than ten minutes and you'll realize time is basically your bitch in MM.

Amir0x

Banned
I know it's probably going to come and be a remake or something... but I hope it's a new Link game set in MM type world and gameplay

Anteo

i remember I played MM at my friends house when I was younger. I immediately stopped playing after like 10 or so minutes. I hate it when games put me on a timer, don't tell me what pace I should be playing. Never bought it cause of that, don't plan on buying a hd port of it either. Imo that is hands down the worst mechanic in any game, worse than qte

Are we talking about Majora's Mask? The game where you can slow down time, make it go faster, or just reset the timer?

You beat the game, fade to black, and the following text appears on the screen:

"No Majora's Mask 3D, quit fucking asking me about it.

--Aonuma"

Please indulge my dumb fan theory:

So there's three branches to the timeline, right? What if this game is about what became of the mask and the world around it in the LttP branch, since it would still exist? Related inquiry: what if the Wii U game is about the mask's influence on the Wind Waker branch of the timeline?

That could be pretty neat, and it might explain the bizarre and continued promotion of a 13-year-old game that performed relatively poorly, at least by series standards.

Anth0ny

whytrinensanosu1k.png

Bill Trinen just retweeted this.

BILL TRINEN NEVER TWEETS ABOUT NINTENDO STUFF

MM3D FUCKING CONFIRMED

-PXG-

Imagine the ending being dark or bittersweet and after the credits, those words appear, "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"

Chills.

Rub that hype boner, Nintendo

apana

Wind Waker made a lot of sense to remake on Wii U because of the graphics. Majora's Mask is great for a remake on 3DS just because there is a large audience on the 3DS and a lot of people never played the original which is a damn shame.

The Happy Mask Salesman is going to be that kind of character that every rumor or theory can be written around. He's bizarre enough and with enough "canon" mystical background that he can literally be everything or anywhere at any time.

It was obvious we were gonna get news about MM with regards to ALBW.

Even if its just an Easter Egg there had to be an explanation for why the mask is there, hopefully the ending will clarify that.

majoras-mask.png

bomma_man

Its not about laziness. It makes no sense OOT was remade for 3DS. And MM is the direct sequel and shares most of its models & assets with OOT.

It actually doesn't. Quite a lot of the models were redone, including Link's. They're similar but not the same.

Velcro Fly

Grezzo did such a good job with OoT I feel.

Just tack on a mode where you take double damage from everything for Hard Mode or something.

RagnarokX

Can someone give me a brief explanation of the first picture.

Specifically, what is the number 3 pointing to?

The imprisoned, Demise, was imprisoned in a hole in front of the Temple of Hylia. The Temple of Time in OoT was built where the Temple of Hylia once stood. The Happy Mask Salesman's Shop is in the middle of where the hole was, but so is the rest of Hyrule castle town. The Goddess statue was right in the middle of the hole, too. Maybe he's a Hylia fan! :p

3 is pointing to the hole at the bottom of the pit and extending it up to where the mask shop is in OoT.

daydream

Banned
I'm ready for MM3D. In fact, I've been ready for it since OOT3D.

The recent development of Aonuma basically confirming that it's happening by not denying it pleases me a great deal.

cafemomo

I've never played MM. So I'm going to make a clueless statement

Don't you guys want to see a MM sequel instead of a remake? Wouldn't that be better?

Doczu

Gold Member

Don't you guys want to see a MM sequel instead of a remake? Wouldn't that be better?

Well, Nintendo could do a Chronicles of Riddick:Assault on Dark Athena style. Enhanced port (like OOT3D) + a proper sequel. One can dream, right?

TreIII

As someone who's played the game multiple times (original hardware, re-releases, etc.)?

I'd honestly rather see a sequel/continuance of some sort. ALBW just does more to remind me that I can definitely get behind the idea of revisiting a world/setting, such that a remake isn't something necessary to me.

If any part of this speculation relating to Termina and Lorule is at all matching up to what Aonuma and his crew have in mind, then it would make all the more sense for them to continue building it up in someway.

I was always of the opinion that it's been sad that they've been effectively sitting on the whole Termina scenario, so few things would make me happier if Lorule was meant at all to tie into that.

Then all I'd need is for a game that finally takes place after Zelda 2's place in the "Downfall" branch...

Majukun

given the fact that now nintendo is into "sequels!" of previous zelda games..i would rather have a majora's mask 2 than a remake
MM wraps itself up pretty cleanly. I can't imagine how a sequel would make any sense, honestly.

well i couldn't imagine a sequel to a link to the past either..but here we go.

given the fact that now nintendo is into "sequels!" of previous zelda games..i would rather have a majora's mask 2 than a remake

well i couldn't imagine a sequel to a link to the past either..but here we go.

I guess my point is more that a sequel to Majora's Mask would really just be an entirely new game. majora's mask was a sequel to ocarina in theory only, really. They have nothing to do with each other besides sharing some models and a tenuous attempt to say "it's the same Link, that's why he looks the same."

Despite what people say, Zelda games tend to diverge pretty strongly in some key areas, which is why the fanbase can never agree on a favorite.

So in other words, a sequel to Majora's Mask is unlikely to deliver on what Majora's Mask fans want from the Majora's Mask remake, which is to say Majora's Mask-type content.

Sakujou

Banned
Majora's Mask 2 confirmed.

headsplosion!

i hate remakes/hd treatments releases... but i really am looking forward to a fluid version of majoras mask.

n64 had a bad performance
gamecube had freezes and it didnt feel good to play it on gc...

OOT3d was awesome on 3ds, so i hope majoras mask will play like that.

also i would totally be there day one if this happens as a retail für 60€/$
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyazYYev7Nw

I love the look of ALBW but I always figured theyd do MM3D then a third game in the Hero of Time trilogy using the assets from OOT3d And MM featuring a naturally matured Link, where he finds Navi.

Coldsun

Banned

You apparently didn't play enough to realize time is a non-issue in the game in regards to mechanics.

Apenheul

I've played Majora's Mask up to the Stone Tower and then I lost interest. I might continue playing some time but I'd prefer a 3DS remake like OOT with good framerate. If I do start over then I'm going to spend more time doing side-quests because that's something I couldn't really get into last time.

Character in item shop has Majora's mask because he is the mask salesman from LoZMM, just disguised. The character never ages and never dies, or he time travels.

bomma_man

It'd be like making a sequel to Citizen Kane.

The new respect for classics is the best thing about this gen.

nkarafo

I prefer Majora's Mask on the big screen, in whatever form, thank you very much. Games with very strong atmosphere benefit from this and a good quality speaker setup as well. I'm not interested playing this in a tiny screen with tiny speakers that you can barely hear so you are forced to use headphones (and you still don't get the same quality sound).

It just doesn't feel right to me. They should remake it on the WiiU.

Top Bottom