• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Multiple Gamestop-Related Sources Claim "Death of 80GB PS3 - 120GB Incoming"

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/848/848727p1.html

January 30, 2008 - We've been tracking the recent reports of the demise of the 80GB PS3 since the news was released late last week. While the rumor that the 80GB system was being phased out of production appeared to be confirmed by its apparent disappearance from the Best Buy website, other retailers still listed the system in stock. However, the rumor persists, particularly from multiple sources that contacted IGN to inform us that a Gamestop conference call confirmed that the system is no longer being made.

According to our sources from a number of GameStop locations, the system will be similar to the 360 with 120 or more gigabytes of hard drive space, as well as a Dual Shock 3 controller. There was no official date on when this new system would reach store shelves. This information appeared to follow up with that of a recent Ars Technica piece, where a reporter claimed a 120GB system with a Dual Shock 3 controller would be replacing the 80GB PS3.

We contacted Sony with this news, and received the following statement from a representative, "We don't comment on rumors or speculation. Any rumors on separate PS3 configurations or package arrangements are just that -- rumors and speculation."

As soon as any new information is released on the state of the PS3, we'll let you know.

Lock if old.

After BestBuy, it's pretty much obvious. That, and IGN kinda said earlier today that Sony has an announcement to make on the PlayStation Blog tomorrow...I think we'll hear about this for sure.

My guess? No more BC, so they'll bump up the storage space to 120GB in hopes of making up for it.

FFChris

Looks like Sony are trying to beat MS in their battle to make the largest amount of confusing SKUs.

Though I'm sure MS will have something up their sleeve at GDC..

They need to stop with this nonsense, seriously. That much space on the PS3 is pretty much worthless right now (unless Sony decides to launch a video download service for the system) and nobody wants a higher-priced SKU.

I remember when Sony first talked about updating the SKU all the time "like a PC" we all laughed and said how it'd never happen, and how silly it was.

FFChris said:
Looks like Sony are trying to beat MS in their battle to make the largest amount of confusing SKUs.

At least they know when to discontinue older SKUs when bringing in new ones. We're talking five active 360 SKUs vs. two for the PS3.

MutFox

Banned
It's like SONY don't want me to buy a PS3...
If you wait, aren't you supposed to get a better model?

I waited so I could could get the DS3, but now they take out BC...
Seriously, screw em, they can have their 3rd place if they want.

_leech_ said:
They need to stop with this nonsense, seriously. That much space on the PS3 is pretty much worthless right now (unless Sony decides to launch a video download service for the system) and nobody wants a higher-priced SKU.

And if its a higher priced SKU without BC.... well, I can foresee photos of 120gb PS3s stacked up at Best Mart or Wal City or any other US based retail outlet.

Redd

MutFox said:

Be pretty epic if this model does have BC. Hope for the best.

Kevin

MutFox said:

Or you could purchase one of the older models on eBay that have backwards compatibility and then add in a bigger hard drive if you want more space...

MutFox

Banned
Redd said:
Be pretty epic if this model does have BC. Hope for the best.

If it does, I'm in, day one.

Kevin said:
Or you could purchase one of the older models on eBay that have backwards compatibility and then add in a bigger hard drive if you want more space...

So spend more money to get another HD, and more money to get a DS3?

MutFox said:

Plenty of 80GB models out there in retail, even 60GB models if you feel like hunting a bit.

Loudninja

MutFox said:

Every new model the same thing...if you wanted one, you would have had one by now.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
_leech_ said:

Really? With all the bitching over installs and "OMG MY HARD DRIVE SPACE, WHAT WILL I DO?!" you'd think more space would be a good thing.

MutFox

Banned
Loudninja said:
Every new model the same thing...if you wanted one, you would have had one by now.

I actually went searching for a 60 GB the other day, I don't want a used one though.

No_Style

Thread Title said:
IGN: Multiple Gamespot-Related Sources Claim "Death of 80GB PS3 - 120GB Incoming"

What?

Oh...GameStop.

Sony releasing new SKUs by the quarter now?

Personally, I have no problem with added value (additional hard drive space), but to remove key features like BC is a huge mistake.

GavinGT

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
I remember when Sony first talked about updating the SKU all the time "like a PC" we all laughed and said how it'd never happen, and how silly it was.

It still is silly.

DeadGzuz

Banned
MutFox said:

Oh the tired xbot "I wanted a PS3 but Sony makes me hate them" bit.

MutFox

Banned
Loudninja said:
Get a 80gb PS3, while they still out t there

I'll wait to see what happens with the new model...
Still sucks that I'm required to get a six-axis, cause I don't want it.

DeadGzuz said:
Oh the tired xbot "I wanted a PS3 but Sony makes me hate them" bit.

I'm not an xbot, never owned an xbox, and probably never will.
You can be the xbot if you like though.

_leech_ said:

Is it actually higher priced? Or just replacing the current $499 SKU? Cause if it's the later, this feels apt to me from the last thread:

Slavik81 said:
Sony: We're discontinuing the 80GB PS3...
Gamers: What? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sony: and replacing it with a 120GB PS3 with a Dual Shock 3 at the same price.
Gamers: What? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol
GAF's hilarious. Never change.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm confused about the whole BC issue.

When people say that the newer PS3s have no BC, they mean no hardware BC, right? They still have software BC ala Xbox 360? Or does no BC literally mean no BC?

FFChris

_leech_ said:
At least they know when to discontinue older SKUs when bringing in new ones. We're talking five active 360 SKUs vs. two for the PS3.

Depends how you define active. Plus, it was intended as a joke. Damn you guys are uptight sometimes.

Edit: If the 120GB version is bundled with the DS3, I hope they bring it to Europe.

GhaleonEB

They need a new SKU to roll the DS3 out with, and they're going for more feature parity against the Elite. Then their two SKUs will line up with the 360's more closely.

lupinko

_leech_ said:

You'd think that, but when you factor in the game-installs and PSN titles, harddrive space goes away quite fast (not to mention random videos / music).

I already found myself upgrading from 60GB to 250GB the other day.

Riddick

FFChris said:

Though I'm sure MS will have something up their sleeve at GDC..

Not really. Each time there are two different SKU versus the five (?) Microsoft offers. It doesn't take a genius to choose between the cheap and the expensive model.

tino

Banned
_leech_ said:

They ARE launching a video download service. It's just a matter of time.

TheGreatDave said:

People should start digging up old Ken Kutaragi quotes. :D

MutFox

Banned
Mifune said:

When people say that the newer PS3s have no BC, they mean no hardware BC, right? They still have software BC ala Xbox 360? Or does no BC literally mean no BC?

It's gone, not even software emulation, which is stupid.

No_Style

Mifune said:

No BC, in this case, means: No PS2 BC at all.

The 80 GB still has the "Graphics Synthesizer" chip of the PS2, but the EmotionEngine was completely removed and is being emulated via software. The 40 GB version got rid of the GS as well and since Sony's PS2 software emulator is no where to be found; there's no PS2 BC at all. People are speculating that the 120 GB will have no PS2 BC.

PS1 emulation is 100% software emulation -- so no worries here.

Nolan.

Mifune said:

I think it's just the 40gb that doesn't have bc but the others have it some hardware some software.

I think anyway.

Meier

DoctorWho said:
What is with the anti-BC push over at Sony. *hugs his 60GB*

PS2 is selling better than the PS3.. they're probably keen to kill it off to a certain extent. In the previous generation, the PS1 and PS2 could coexist because the PS2 was doing gangbusters...that's obviously not true in this case.

lupinko said:
You'd think that, but when you factor in the game-installs and PSN titles, harddrive space goes away quite fast (not to mention random videos / music).

I already found myself upgrading from 60GB to 250GB the other day.

Protip: Keep your videos/music on your PC and stream them.

Mifune

Mehmber
No_Style said:
No BC, in this case, means: No PS2 BC at all.

The 80 GB still has the "Graphics Synthesizer" chip of the PS2, but the Emotion Engine was completely removed and is being emulated via software.

PS1 emulation is 100% software emulation -- so no worries here.

Oh okay. So there are essentially three different varieties of BC out there? Full BC for the early adopters, Software BC for the 80 GBs, and no PS2 BC for the later models.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm just happy I got onboard early.

No_Style

xbhaskarx said:
It better have BC, otherwise -1 sale.

80 GB still exist in retail channels, but I guess you're not ready to commit to a PS3 yet?

Mifune said:
Oh okay. So there are essentially three different varieties of BC out there? Full BC for the early adopters, Software BC for the 80 GBs, and no PS2 BC for the later models.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm just happy I got onboard early.

Bingo. I did the same when I heard rumblings about the 80 GB SKU.

quest

Not Banned from OT
No_Style said:
80 GB still exist in retail channels, but I guess you're not ready to commit to a PS3 yet?

Lots of us are waiting on the DS3. I am not going to buy a SKU with a controller I might as well throw in the trash. I personally could careless about BC just want 299 for a DS SKU with hopefully a larger than 40gig hard drive because of newer games having to be installed.

quest said:
Lots of us are waiting on the DS3. I am not going to buy a SKU with a controller I might as well throw in the trash.

If you don't have a good PC controller there are Linux and Windows drivers out there for the Sixaxis. That's what i'll be using it for when my DS3 comes in.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Mifune said:

BC has been degrading every release
60/20 if I'm not mistaken, near perfect on majority of games
80gig, Most games are compatible, but allot of them are shoddy. Some major problems, etc
40. Only PS1

PS1 will always be there since it is software, but expect none from the PS2 side.

Pretty much to sum this up, Sony has been removing features instead of adding them as models go on. Which is like...Yay for Earlier adapters but boo for people who were planning on picking it up for later

Top Bottom