• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Multiple Gamestop-Related Sources Claim "Death of 80GB PS3 - 120GB Incoming"

Nolan.

shintoki said:
BC has been degrading every release
60/20 if I'm not mistaken, near perfect on majority of games
80gig, Most games are compatible, but allot of them are shoddy. Some major problems, etc
40. Only PS1

PS1 will always be there since it is software, but expect none from the PS2 side.

It makes me really glad to know I got in early though, because bc is important to me personally, so i'm fine.

No_Style

Metalmurphy said:
How can you be sure this won't have BC as well?

I sure as hell hope not.

People are also assuming that Sony are not working on a full software PS2 emulator similar to the XBOX 360's BC method. I find that hard to believe that they aren't looking for ways to re-sell R&C 1, 2, 3 via PSN.

Ideally, I hope Sony does this and allows for disc versions to be playable as well.

Riddick

Where the hell does it say in the article that the specific model won't have BC? I've read it twice and I can't locate it. Is this fanboy fantasy I'm reading in this thread or there is actually a part of this article I've missed?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Pai Pai Master said:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/848/848727p1.html

Lock if old.

After BestBuy, it's pretty much obvious. That, and IGN kinda said earlier today that Sony has an announcement to make on the PlayStation Blog tomorrow...I think we'll hear about this for sure.

My guess? No more BC, so they'll bump up the storage space to 120GB in hopes of making up for it.

I said it! well I know people have mentioned it, but there gonna release bigger drive and release PS2 games via PSN and each game wil have its own emulation :D

WATCH WATCH NEOGAF!

*shakes fist*

jjasper

So is this going to hit soon (by the end of Feb)? I want to get a PS3 but what do see what happens with this first.

lupinko

_leech_ said:
Protip: Keep your videos/music on your PC and stream them.

I use a separate 250GB for my music/videos, screw streaming elijah wood.

It's nothin' but game installs son. :lol

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
lupinko said:
I use a separate 250GB for my music/videos, screw streaming elijah wood.

It's nothin' but game installs son. :lol

lol.

I have a 160GB hard drive in my 60gb(model). I have all my music on it and some bleach/shippudin anime in there. Most of it is games.

gkryhewy

Loudninja said:
Every new model the same thing...if you wanted one, you would have had one by now.

I'm sure that's the attitude Sony has too. I'm sure they're perfectly happy with the present install base.

This thing had better have BC.

_leech_ said:
Used? I'd say no more than $350.

Goes for ~450 shipped on eBay.

DoctorWho said:
What is with the anti-BC push over at Sony. *hugs his 60GB*

Cost savings. If BC comes back, it will be globally, not just at North America. SCEA isn't going to pay for producing a unique motherboard just for this region. It isn't just the cost of the components, it's economies of scale.

DeadGzuz

Banned
gkrykewy said:
I'm sure that's the attitude Sony has too. I'm sure they're perfectly happy with the present install base.

This thing had better have BC.

downiecrymore.jpg

JavaMava

DoctorWho said:
What is with the anti-BC push over at Sony. *hugs his 60GB*

Don't know if it's been answered yet, but they eventually want to re-sell you your PS2 games as digital downloads.

Firewire

Banned
BC isn't going anywhere, there is to much profit in that library to give up. 2 models, one with & one without, Sony gives you the choice, and you just bitch some more! Whats next "wha PS3 doesn't wipe my ass -1 sale"
If you don't want one fine, but stop with the BS excuses that change by the day!

Vieo

So, if you're in the market for an 80GB PS3, should you wait to buy one?

I want one with backwards compatibility. Speaking of which, are there any places that still sell the 60GB model online?

FFChris

Firewire said:
BC isn't going anywhere, there is to much profit in that library to give up. 2 models, one with & one without, Sony gives you the choice, and you just bitch some more! Whats next "wha PS3 doesn't wipe my ass -1 sale"
If you don't want one fine, but stop with the BS excuses that change by the day!

Tell that to people in Europe.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Mindlog said:
When is DS3 going to make it into the 40GB???

Good question. I wonder if they'll leave it out to encourage people to just get the more expensive SKU. For cost reasons though, you'd have to imagine they want to try to move the PS3 to all one motherboard. That would help them decrease the cost to produce and give them a little more room for price reductions this year.

jvalioli

Vieo said:
So, if you're in the market for an 80GB PS3, should you wait to buy one?

I want one with backwards compatibility. Speaking of which, are there any places that still sell the 60GB model online?
Chances are that the 120GB won't have PS2 BC, so I would grab one(actually, I did grab one because of this).

The 60GB console isn't sold at most retailers anymore. You're lucky if you manage to find one. If you really want a 60GB, you're probably going to have to try eBay.

Ryu1999

_leech_ said:
Protip: Keep your videos/music on your PC and stream them.

counter-tip: Unlike 360, existing PS3 games with custom soundtracks can't stream off another computer, only files on the hard drive

MoxManiac

Well, they are still updating the compatability in the 80gbs. The most recent firmware fixed some ps2 games. Plus wasn't there a report that Sony was hiring for engineers/programmers for PS3 and PS4 BC?

Spike

Okay, so assuming this is really the case, when can we expect the announcement? The stores in my area are still well stocked with 80GB bundles, and I do intend on getting a PS3. But, I would rather get the bundle that has the DS3 included, instead of buying it separately. Hopefully it will still have the BC that the 80GB version currently supplies. I'm not too worried about BC though, since the only games I would really care to replay in the future would be the DMC, God of War, and MGS series. I guess I could still play them on my PS2.

Link

The Autumn Wind
If this new model really doesn't have any BC like the 40GB unit, I'm so glad I hunted down my 60GB just in time, because prices for them are gonna go up even more now. At least now I can always get a bigger harddrive or a DS3 if I choose to. Can't say the same for BC in the newer models.

Vieo

Not to get off-topic, but...
Does anyone know how PS3's on/off button works? The slightest touch turns it on. When you press it, it doesn't even go inward like a button. Does it use some kind of laser? Is it heat sensitive? Bio-scan? ...Magic?

Core407

Banned
shintoki said:
BC has been degrading every release
60/20 if I'm not mistaken, near perfect on majority of games
80gig, Most games are compatible, but allot of them are shoddy. Some major problems, etc
40. Only PS1

PS1 will always be there since it is software, but expect none from the PS2 side.

Pretty much to sum this up, Sony has been removing features instead of adding them as models go on. Which is like...Yay for Earlier adapters but boo for people who were planning on picking it up for later

That's right, you should have jumped on the bandwagon a year ago!

*hugs 20GB PS3 w/ hardware BC*

Johnas

The plot thickens.

I think it'd be great if the new one does indeed include BC, but after thinking about it for a while the other day when the rumors about the end of the 80gb came up, I don't know if it's really a huge deal for me personally. I really would like to have one console that plays the entire PS legacy, but my PS2 (bought in '02) still runs like a champ.

A 120gb with BC and the DS3 would make for the ultimate PS3, though.

VaLiancY

Dama said:
BC >>>>>>>>>>> DS3 + 40 extra gigs

I'm with you on that one. The DS3 I can buy another time and I can buy a laptop hard drive and upgrade. There is tons of PS2 games I've never played and I hope to clear out that backlog on a BC PS3.

Kyoufu

Johnas said:
The plot thickens.

I think it'd be great if the new one does indeed include BC, but after thinking about it for a while the other day when the rumors about the end of the 80gb came up, I don't know if it's really a huge deal for me personally. I really would like to have one console that plays the entire PS legacy, but my PS2 (bought in '02) still runs like a champ.

A 120gb with BC and the DS3 would make for the ultimate PS3, though.

I think chances of PS2 BC are pretty good for this "ultimate elite uber" high-end SKU.

Johnas

Kyoufu said:
I think chances of PS2 BC are pretty good for this "ultimate elite uber" high-end SKU.

Works for me! I'd love to see it happen. I think it'd be wise for Sony, given the complaints from 40gb buyers who mistakenly thought it'd play PS2 titles.

Guy Legend

Pai Pai Master said:
My guess? No more BC, so they'll bump up the storage space to 120GB in hopes of making up for it.

I don't think they will eliminate BC in the high end sku. Consumers have spoken that they want it. Sure the 80gb system has twice the harddrive space, more usb ports and card readers, but by and large BC is by far the largest difference that seperates the hardware and is what in my estimation drove the 80gb to higher sales than the 40gb.

In fact, I think the 120gb unit will launch in other territories as well, effectively re-introducing BC to other territories for consumers who who have been clamoring for it. Such a sku should prove to be a huge revenue boost in all territories. If it turns out that this new 120gb sku doesn't have BC, it will be a fool's unit like the XB360 elite and I would expect sales would reflect that. Oh, and the extra hard drive space of the 120gb compared to the 80gb system wouldn't make up the ommission of BC - the loss of a packed in game of Motorstorm would be it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Nuclear Muffin said:
Yep looks more or less official now. I wonder if the rumors of them dropping the price of the 40GB PS3 to $299.99 are true too!

Monday came and went, the rumor died a very unsexy death.

Sonys constant SKU shuffle=
ultimate_madness.JPG

Seriously, im really f'ing confused about this, and i used to work at a Gamestop. Sony, if you just included rumble and made it affordable for a reason, you wouldnt constantly have to change the harddrive space and features to "fit the changing market"

jrricky

Banned
Lightning said:
Sony love their "We don't comment on rumors and speculation" statements. They say that a lot. :lol
The thing is, I dont get why publications ask for information concerning a rumor when they know that they are going to get the generic response that all companies use.....who knows though, they probably just put that there without actually contacting anyone because its a guideline for presenting rumor reports on their site.:lol

eatyobeans said:
Sonys constant SKU shuffle=
http://www.henderson-management.co.uk/ultimate_madness.JPG

Seriously, im really f'ing confused about this, and i used to work at a Gamestop. Sony, if you just included rumble and made it affordable for a reason, you wouldnt constantly have to change the harddrive space and features to "fit the changing market"
They've said from the start they would do something like this. Keep updating the HDD as time passes. All consoles have revisions over time, PS1 had it, PS2 had it, and now with the PS3 they're upgrading the HDD as well with each revision. I think it's great that they do that, what I don't think it's smart is marketing the SKUs with the size of the HDD as the name. That only confuses people.

tanod

when is my burrito
Firewire said:

Sony has already decided what they are going to offer for a choice. This year, they are likely going to give people an option to play PS2 games for $100 but it's not going to be in a PS3. PS2 is going to get the drop to $100 this year.

Yes it's really shitty that they are deciding not to offer PS2 BC with PS3 but don't kid yourself, there isn't going to be HW BC of any kind in any new PS3 any more.

They ARE working on SW BC. This is evidenced by their continued updates to the PS2 BC already in place in the PS3s that are out there via firmware update.

I planned on picking up a system at Christmas time this year and going by past trends for the system, I'll have a $299, 500 gig, with two dual shocks, and a pack in game waiting for me!

Raistlin

Vieo said:
Not to get off-topic, but...
Does anyone know how PS3's on/off button works? The slightest touch turns it on. When you press it, it doesn't even go inward like a button. Does it use some kind of laser? Is it heat sensitive? Bio-scan? ...Magic?

I would assume it works similar to a touch lamp?
body capacitance?

Erebus

But seriously even if they're working on Software BC, how well do you think it will work? I mean PS2 compatibility kinda sucks on the 60GB PAL/80GB US models that still use the PS2 GPU for emulation. Go figure...

dolemite

So if the only difference between the 80GB and the upcoming 120GB is the harddrive size, then why introduce it in the first place? Just drop the price down to 400-450$ and watch the sales rise.

Johnas

dolemite said:
So if the only difference between the 80GB and the upcoming 120GB is the harddrive size, then why introduce it in the first place? Just drop the price down to 400-450$ and watch the sales rise.

The DualShock 3 should also be in there. Sixaxis plus rumble, basically.

Top Bottom