• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Multiple Gamestop-Related Sources Claim "Death of 80GB PS3 - 120GB Incoming"

Firewire

Banned
tanod said:
Sony has already decided what they are going to offer for a choice. This year, they are likely going to give people an option to play PS2 games for $100 but it's not going to be in a PS3. PS2 is going to get the drop to $100 this year.

Yes it's really shitty that they are deciding not to offer PS2 BC with PS3 but don't kid yourself, there isn't going to be HW BC of any kind in any new PS3 any more.

They ARE working on SW BC. This is evidenced by their continued updates to the PS2 BC already in place in the PS3s that are out there via firmware update.
I totally agree about the BC, it comes back only after Sony kills off the PS2. But both types of BC have been in circulation.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
DarkUSS said:
But seriously even if they're working on Software BC, how well do you think it will work? I mean PS2 compatibility kinda sucks on the 60GB PAL/80GB US models that still use the PS2 GPU for emulation. Go figure...

Star Ocean 3 still crashes like crazy on my 60 gig USA model with full BC.

Even on a PS3 model with a CPU and GPU isn't perfect, so just imagine full software BC.

Chrono

Banned
Speaking of DS3 and sixaxis, can I use the latter on the PC without a problem - like the 360 controller? I want to get Sega Rally on Steam and I heard it recognizes the 360 controller, it seems that a lot of PC games do. Is that support specific to the 360 pad or for controllers in general so a sixaxis would work just as well?

RumFore

Banned
Why is this so hard for some of you to grasp?

Seriously, if you are on NeoGaf you are most likely a hardcore gamer. There phasing out the 80GB model and replacing it with what seems to be a better model with more features that will still likely still have BC to differentiate it from the 40GB.

If if BC doesnt matter to you get the 40GB, if it does get the 80GB or the new one. Whats so frigging hard about that? I guess its because I have been a building PCs for years and go through nearly the same thing with new hardware.

Guy Legend

Firewire said:
I totally agree about the BC, it comes back only after Sony kills off the PS2. But both types of BC have been in circulation.

What is the purpose of BC? Traditionally, it's alway been about enticing customers to trade up to newer hardware sooner rather than later. And removing BC from all units, then introducing later would accomplish that? I think not.

The point of removing BC was to encourage PS3 software sales, we all know that. And the cheaper, more affordable 40gb unit accomplishes that. I don't think there's a benefit beyond that in eliminating it completely. Lots of consumers have proven that they would like the feature and including it in a sku that costs $100 more is surely beneficial to the company and consumer. Yes, they could slightly reduce the costs of the high end sku with no BC, but I would estimate and I think Sony does/has already found out that they will sell more high end sku's with BC then they would without it.

Raistlin

Firewire said:

Really? I don't recall seeing anything emulating the GS/eDRAM ... news to me :\

My6cats

Banned
DoctorWho said:
What is with the anti-BC push over at Sony. *hugs his 60GB*
can you still find 60 or 80 PS3 in stores? I am going to sell my Dreamcast and 79 games on e bay to get a PS3....to go long with my 360. I already sold my Saturn
and it games to get my 360.

Raistlin

My6cats said:
can you still find 60 or 80 PS3 in stores? I am going to sell my Dreamcast and 79 games on e bay to get a PS3....to go long with my 360. I already sold my Saturn
and it games to get my 360.

80GB isn't very hard to find.

60GB, not so easy.

Raistlin

pilonv1 said:
I'm waiting for the $299 120gb Ceramic White version shipping on the 14th.

66xzdc2.gif

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Guy Legend said:
The point of removing BC was to encourage PS3 software sales, we all know that.
That may have been a sideeffect, but it certainly wasn't the point. If full SW BC was that trivial, PS3 would have launched with it from day one.
At any rate, the issue with new highend SKU is that they probably want to unify Motherboards with the rest of production(which is a real cost saving), but that would unfortunately imply no more BC hardware.

Ultimately I don't doubt they WANT bc back across all models (there's too much potential in digital distribution of PS2 library to ignore it) but it remains to be seen how they'll go about it.

all those whining about the BC......i bet many of you were the ones who back during the 20gb/60gb had said to yourselves "HEY I'LL JUST KEEP PLAYING MY PS2 NYUK NYUK!!!"

so guess what?.....sony has decided that you ought to just keep playing ps2 games on your ps2....which is what your original plans were anyways. i dont see any changes in people's intentions so move along plz lol

Fafalada said:
That may have been a sideeffect, but it certainly wasn't the point. If full SW BC was that trivial, PS3 would have launched with it from day one.
At any rate, the issue with new highend SKU is that they probably want to unify Motherboards with the rest of production(which is a real cost saving), but that would unfortunately imply no more BC hardware.

Ultimately I don't doubt they WANT bc back across all models (there's too much potential in digital distribution of PS2 library to ignore it) but it remains to be seen how they'll go about it.

sony is probably trying to get the entry price down as low and quick as possible.....and worrying about BC updates later (through firmwares maybe?)

Yeah, sorry I forgot to update you guys...

We had a (long) meeting about this. 80gbs have to be sold for the same price as the new sku for the time being until they are obviously sold out. We don't know the details about the new one but it won't have BC and will have a bigger HDD.

Vieo said:
Not to get off-topic, but...
Does anyone know how PS3's on/off button works? The slightest touch turns it on. When you press it, it doesn't even go inward like a button. Does it use some kind of laser? Is it heat sensitive? Bio-scan? ...Magic?
you know the touchpad on your laptop? Same idea. you just touch it and it activates

Johnas

Deadly Monk said:

We had a (long) meeting about this. 80gbs have to be sold for the same price as the new sku for the time being until they are obviously sold out. We don't know the details about the new one but it won't have BC and will have a bigger HDD.

Eh?

Baddrink.gif

wipeout364

Deadly Monk said:

Is this for real? Or a joke post?

Hcoregamer00

Deadly Monk said:

Awesome, which basically means it will have the 40 gig motherboard (with some minor changes to fit more USB ports).

Xdrive05

I think we're getting to the point where PS2 BC isn't ABSOLUTELY necessary. We're getting enough original content with enough on the way to justify a PS3-only game software outlook. But it would be extremely damn nice to have. I don't want to have to keep hanging on to my launch PS2 just to play those games.

I almost wonder if this isn't a ploy to get people to keep buying PStwos as well.

Guy Legend

Deadly Monk said:

Should we be putting a lot of stock in this post? If so, fuck......

Hcoregamer00

Firestorm said:
I don't think any company has screwed up this much in regards to multiple hardware versions.

Why is it "screwing up"

They are only keeping two SKU's running at the moment, and for the most part they all play PS3 games with differences here and there.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Hcoregamer00 said:
Why is it "screwing up"

They are only keeping two SKU's running at the moment, and for the most part they all play PS3 games with differences here and there.
I've heard they plan to remove this feature in their next hardware revision.

bryehn

I'm really, really glad I got my 60 GB when I did. I don't care if it cost me $550 CAD. When I need more space, I'll just upgrade the drive...or backup stuff I'm not using.

I'm still buying PS2 games and I want them to look their uhm, least shittiest on my TV

Firestorm

Hcoregamer00 said:
Why is it "screwing up"

It's screwing up because after blasting their competition about running 2 SKUs, they're running 2 different SKUs at any given time with less and less features each time.

Hcoregamer00

Odysseus said:
no wonder nintendo's winning

Yeah, by saying that you Jinxed Nintendo.

Wii - Blu Ray edition will come out for the low price of $500.

:(

Firestorm said:
It's screwing up because after blasting their competition about running 2 SKUs, they're running 2 different SKUs at any given time with less and less features each time.

What a shock, they are losing money so they cut features.

_leech_ said:
At least they know when to discontinue older SKUs when bringing in new ones. We're talking five active 360 SKUs vs. two for the PS3.

360 does not have 5 "active" ones. Arcade, Pro, and...? As far as everyone can tell, the Elite is a limited and appears to be running out. Pretty sure Halo 3 is limited to. So while Sony has discontinued 3, MS has only 1 that they have discontinued.

Also, pretty useless when you can swap out the drive. Probably only be $499 anyways, and be identical to the 40GB.

Odysseus

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, by saying that you Jinxed Nintendo.

Wii - Blu Ray edition will come out for the low price of $500.

:(

i'm not konex and this isn't sports-related

nintendo is safe

Sgt. Killjoy said:
360 does not have 5 "active" ones. Arcade, Pro, and...? As far as everyone can tell, the Elite is a limited and appears to be running out. Pretty sure Halo 3 is limited to. So while Sony has discontinued 3, MS has only 1 that they have discontinued.

Also, pretty useless when you can swap out the drive. Probably only be $499 anyways, and be identical to the 40GB.

elite is not limited, so there's three permanent 360 configurations.

as of now.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Plz have BC, Plz have BC, Plz have BC, Plz have BC.... and a DS3. :D

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I wouldn't expect PS2 chips in any future models of the PS3 at this point, so unless they figure out how to do pure software emu of PS2, there's not going to be any PS2 BC.

MutFox said:
It's gone, not even software emulation, which is stupid.
Link? Proof?

Why are people saying this if there's been no real PR response? All this is hear-say and speculation that BC won't be included.

Raistlin

Link said:
Only two USB ports rather than four, and no card slots.

Also, SACD support.

Firestorm said:
I don't think any company has screwed up this much in regards to multiple hardware versions.

Joke post? How is this screwing up? All they've done is remove ancillary features while answering the call for a lower pricepoint.

Crap, if anyone's screwed up multi-SKU's ... its MS. Not having a mandatory HDD was a terrible idea for all involved.

Firestorm said:

:lol :lol :lol

And now you're just making up shit?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Hcoregamer00 said:
If it does you will still say "it is too expensive"
Too expensive as in "I already had one at $500 but sold it because I anticipated a better deal when the games I wanted to play were released"? I doubt it will cost more than $500.

Top Bottom