• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Multiple Gamestop-Related Sources Claim "Death of 80GB PS3 - 120GB Incoming"

Raistlin

Worm_Buffet said:
Software BC should provide even better preconditions for post-processing like upscaling etc.

That would assume Sony actually puts a a high-priority on such things.

The PS1 is full SW emulation on the PStwo and the PS3. They really haven't done much extra in that regard.

Raistlin

Metalmurphy said:
I really don't believe they're gonna drop BC on the the 120GB if it happens. I mean... why would they?

If they are, its likely a cost issue. Only producing one MoBo may be important.

If they really wanted to drop BC completely they could have done it already on the 80GB.

That would be too confusing to the consumer.

kaching said:
As long as you note that it took them much longer to do that, because of the obvious complications of ensuring that it didn't trip up PS2 software that had been designed to use the PS1 hardware. :)

Do you have any evidence of this? Maybe I'm misreading your intentions ... but it sounds like you're implying some PS2 games use the PS1 HW for something other than I/O? Are you implying they used it like a secondary processor?

Erebus

Onix said:
The 'access' devs had to the PS1 chipset in the PS2 was because the PS1 served as the I/O controller in the original design. It should also be noted that it was in fact removed in the PStwo.

Wow I didn't know that. And how they achieved PS1 compatibility on PSTwo? Do they use the same software emulator as in PSP/PS3?

Erebus

Onix said:
Do you have any evidence of this? Maybe I'm misreading your intentions ... but it sounds like you're implying some PS2 games use the PS1 HW for something other than I/O? Are you implying they used it like a secondary processor?

I don't know what kaching implies but I remember some PS2 games used the PS1 CPU for audio encoding or something.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Onix said:
Are you implying they used it like a secondary processor?
No, that wasn't what I was directly implying, but I do believe there were some examples of that. Wasn't the original GTA3 at least using it for some additional sound processing?

In any case, my only direct implication was that allowing PS2 games to even utilize the PS1 hardware in the first place, as an I/O controller or anything else, automatically complicated matters for eventual software emu of those components since they were being used above and beyond just PS1 software compatability, which is probably why it took them a lot longer to completely extricate te PS1 hardware from the PS2.

So, by not allowing that in the case of the PS2 hardware in the PS3, they tipped their hand as to the intended longevity of those components inside the PS3.

kaching said:
In any case, my only direct implication was that allowing PS2 games to even utilize the PS1 hardware in the first place, as an I/O controller or anything else, automatically complicated matters for eventual software emu of those components since they were being used above and beyond just PS1 software compatability, which is probably why it took them a lot longer to completely extricate te PS1 hardware from the PS2.

Recursive backwards compatibility? That just strikes me as a bad idea, and Sony probably came to the same conclusion.
So in order to emulate a PS2 through software, you in fact need to emulate a PS2 emulating a PS1.

Wollan said:
So we will most likely see a 120GB with no BC but with DS3?

Personally I would think having the 40GB unit as the only sku worldwide would be the best move. At least Japan & Europe are thinking about that correctly.

Hopefully Sony will announce a software bc solution sooner rather than later (something I'm 110% certain they are working on). Hopefully it will be announced at GDC.
In other news:
Gaming website, Kotaku, reports that, according to Wollan, a member on gaming forum website, NeoGaf, it is 110% certain that Sony will announce full software backwards compatibility for its PS3.

i was actually considering getting a PS3 next month simply because my PS2 is starting to crap itself (only one memory card port works, controllers don't respond sometimes), but all this just makes me want to say fuck it and buy another PS2.

Yes, I'd like bluray, but I wouldn't like 150 million gigs. I am not Joe multiplayer over the internet. I like single player experiences, and they can forget getting my money if I can't have BC.

boo :(

belvedere

Junior Butler
Well, my buddy just called me when trying to purchase a PS3 and told me that BB said they don't sell the 80GB any more.

That was fast.

MercuryLS

Banned
If you want a PS3 with BC get a 60 or 80Gig NOW.

I got an 80Gig machine, BNIB for $400 even off craigslist. Give yourself a few weeks to find a good deal then jump on it.

I honestly doubt that BC will be something included in the new 120Gig PS3. They're probably trying to get all the PS3 mobo's to closely resemble the 40Gig's (cheaper to produce), they're also hoping that with the inclusion of the DS3 and the bigger HDD that people won't mind the lack of BC.

Elios83

Gamedaily's take on the situation:

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/source-sony-mulling-over-ps3-sku-strategy/19271/?biz=1

Over the last couple weeks, the PS3 rumormill has been raging, seemingly indicating that Sony is about to get rid of its 80GB PS3 SKU. Many suspect that Sony is getting ready to replace the 80GB with a 120GB model.

GameDaily BIZ has learned, however, from a very reliable source close to Sony that the company has yet to actually decide on what the next SKU configuration will be. Apparently the executive teams and product strategists have been meeting this week in Japan. "There are a lot of different strategies under consideration, but nothing is final yet. They are considering ways to put some relevant distance between the two PS3 SKUs, but it's unclear how that will roll out," our source indicated.

Our source emphasized that putting distance between the two PS3 models is very important because the difference between the 20GB and 60GB models, or now between the 40GB and 80GB models, hasn't been distinct enough. Sony is looking to "at least double" the storage space (meaning 160GB) or even go beyond that, because they recognize the importance of digital distribution and the PlayStation Network.

Our source confirmed that Sony is also strongly considering a pack-in of the Dual Shock 3 controller with the high-end model only as another way of differentiating it from the 40GB SKU. We asked if Sony would introduce the new SKU along with new pricing, and our source indicated that it's a possibility; Sony has a history of zero margin consoles, he said. So basically, if the company is able to bring production costs down on the console to the point where they can breakeven on the lower price, they'll then implement a price cut to be more competitive on the market. It was revealed today that Sony is finally profiting on the PS3 business.

So ultimately, while you may have heard all sorts of rumblings, Sony itself hasn't even made a decision yet. We'll be sure to bring you the latest as we hear it.

tanod

when is my burrito
Our source confirmed that Sony is also strongly considering a pack-in of the Dual Shock 3 controller with the high-end model only as another way of differentiating it from the 40GB SKU.

This, in particular, would be extremely fucking stupid. Don't do this Sony.

Pharmacy said:
40GB base model @ $299 and a 120GB "Elite" with BC, extra USB ports etc @ $399 would be the best idea ever

This idea I like. Make it 120GB, put all of the PS2 hardware back in the system with the card readers and USB ports. $100 difference is equivalent to the $100 PS2. Perfect way to differentiate the systems.

Also, that would give me the opportunity to upgrade to a second one in a couple years.

tanod said:
This, in particular, would be extremely fucking stupid. Don't do this Sony.

This idea I like. Make it 120GB, put all of the PS2 hardware back in the system with the card readers and USB ports.

Doing that would drive the cost of the console way back up, thus negating the chance or logic of a price drop.

tanod

when is my burrito
Pai Pai Master said:
Doing that would drive the cost of the console way back up, thus negating the chance or logic of a price drop.

Which is why they would charge $100 more than the 40GB.

Pharmacy said:
40GB base model @ $299 and a 120GB "Elite" with BC, extra USB ports etc @ $399 would be the best idea ever

Do it Sony! Make the first good decision you've made since 2005 and give us the SKUs that make sense! Everybody wins (except those people who snapped up 80gigs expecting BC never to come back, but forget those guys.)

Ashhong

Pharmacy said:

40gb base model @ $299 + DS3 and 160gb with BC, the regular 4 USB, and DS3 @ $399 sounds good to me.

Although that's a huge price drop. I imagine they will have it at 400 and 500. I also agree with Wollan that they are working on software BC. If they roll that out at GDC, elite with no HW BC.

McHuj

What's the point of BC when you can just repurchase all of your old games on a Virtual Console like service?

You know both MS and Sony are going to follow Nintendo's lead. The days of true BC are long dead I'm afraid.

Now gimme a $299 unit.

Redd

McHuj said:
What's the point of BC when you can just repurchase all of your old games on a Virtual Console like service?

You know both MS and Sony are going to follow Nintendo's lead. The days of true BC are long dead I'm afraid.

Now gimme a $299 unit.

I'm sorry but fuck that, I got a ton of ps1 and ps2 games that I don't want to buy again on psn. Now if they released games that never made it to the states or rare games then I can understand.

McHuj said:

Now gimme a $299 unit.
Because I don't want to rebuy all my games when the ones I have are perfectly fine?

MoxManiac

McHuj said:

Now gimme a $299 unit.

Uh no, I'm not repurchasing over a hundred PS2 games.

Man, I <3 my 20GB PS3. I hope it never dies, because it looks like soon the stores will only have tard PS3s now.

MoxManiac

DevilWillcry said:
Err....where are people getting the idea that the 120 GB is not going to have the software BC that the 80 GB has?

Because it's likely the new sku will have a mobo similar to the 40gb to save costs, with no PS2 hardware in it at all.

Raistlin

DarkUSS said:
Wow I didn't know that. And how they achieved PS1 compatibility on PSTwo? Do they use the same software emulator as in PSP/PS3?

I would assume it was based on it. If they were smart, they would have designed the original to have an API layer, so only the HW specific calls need to be updated.

kaching said:
No, that wasn't what I was directly implying, but I do believe there were some examples of that. Wasn't the original GTA3 at least using it for some additional sound processing?

Now that I think about it ... I do recall that. I think you are correct, though it wasn't done very often.

As far as using it for I/O, I would assume that was managed by the OS ... so replacing the processor with a different one wouldn't really have an effect on pre-existing games (other than something like GTA).

I'd be surprised if the normal SDK allowed for direct access to the hardware. I'm guessing Rockstar got special permission to do it. Sony was pretty serious about devs following certain standards with the PS2 (and especially PS1), and kept a lot of things bottled up. Crap, they didn't grant access to the output controller (for doing stuff like scaling 512x512 frames to NTSC) until pretty late in the game.

So, by not allowing that in the case of the PS2 hardware in the PS3, they tipped their hand as to the intended longevity of those components inside the PS3.

They didn't need to tip their hand. Before the PS3 was even released they publicly stated that they did NOT want to put the PS2 HW in there, but had to because they didn't have a SW solution ready. It was never their intention to put it in there ... they acknowledged it was last minute.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Onix said:
They didn't need to tip their hand. Before the PS3 was even released they publicly stated that they did NOT want to put the PS2 HW in there, but had to because they didn't have a SW solution ready. It was never their intention to put it in there ... they acknowledged it was last minute.
There was that, sure. But when they were forced to abandon that approach in favor of hardware assisted emu, it wasn't immediately clear if they'd remove the PS2 hardware sooner rather than later. So it's their actions since then that have made that clear, restricting access to the PS2 chips being among them.

Evander

"industry expert"
McHuj said:

Now gimme a $299 unit.

Um, by DESIGN, any game offered as An Xbox Original Download is ALSO playable via BC.

tino

Banned
Evander said:
Um, by DESIGN, any game offered as An Xbox Original Download is ALSO playable via BC.

Maybe Sony will offer proper upscaling to the download only PS2 games? There must be an "excuse" they work out why they can't do disc BC.

Everything I read points to the direction that BC is not coming back. I remember iSuppli estamited the BC circuit costed Sony about $30. However you factor in the saving with the smaller mobo and simplier cooling system, it may cost Sony more than $40 to keep BC. If that was too much a potion for a $400 SKU, it will be a even bigger factor in a $300. So logic tells me hardware BC aint staying.

The way Sony see it if BC is not important to you, it make more sense to give you 80 more Gb of space than some hardware bit you don't use; if PS2 is that important to you you would pony up for a PS2 or own one already; if you are one of the 0.5% of potential customers that don't own a PS2 currently and won't buy a BC-free PS3 than Sony 's attitute is screw you you are not a true Playstation fan anyway.

BTW, its obvious that the black 40GB won't have DS3 since Sony is not phrasing the SKU out. Until Sony phrase out the black 40GB we won't get DS3 on tthe cheaper version.

DrXym

I think BC will be back in some form, if only to support PS2 download titles. But most likely it will be software only and specifically targeted at certain games for sale on PSN. The graphics in some games are obviously going to be easier to emulate than others.

I think it sucks that BC went, but then the price cuts have to come from somewhere. It's clear that the Sony beancounters decided that more people would buy the PS3 because of a price drop than would not buy it because of lack of BC and so went with the former.

Sales of PS3s this year show it's not the killer feature people thought it to be.

Sean

Banned
tino said:
BTW, its obvious that the black 40GB won't have DS3 since Sony is not phrasing the SKU out. Until Sony phrase out the black 40GB we won't get DS3 on tthe cheaper version.

Why would they have to phase out the SKU just to put a Dual Shock 3 in the box?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
T3 (UK tech mag) says a insider mole at CES told them that Sony is preparing a slim PS3 for release later this year.

I think that's very unlikely, and very trustworthy, but they have nice artist mockups :lol

http://www.t3.com/news/sony-playstation3-slim-and-lite?=35165

t3-ps3-slim-5_w606.jpg

t3-ps3-slim-4_w606.jpg

The base slab looks a bit too Wii inspired tbh, though.

(Edit, actually it really does look like they just cut the top bit of the PS3 down and stuck a wii to it :lol )

DrXym

gofreak said:
T3 (UK tech mag) says a insider mole at CES told them that Sony is preparing a slim PS3 for release later this year.

I think that's very unlikely, and very trustworthy, but they have nice artist mockups :lol

(Edit, actually it really does look like they just cut the top bit of the PS3 down and stuck a wii to it :lol )

I don't see why a slim is unlikely. Look at the pictures of the white PS3 internals that are going around. They've really slimmed down the mainboard. Its not too much of a stretch to think if they used a slimmer blu ray drive and perhaps moved the PSU into a brick. That they could produce something which is 2/3 the size of the current model.

It would sell by the metric shitload too.

Spike

tino said:

What?

Once they sell out of the Spidey 3 Blu-Ray bundle, they'll ship the black 40GB with a DS3.

tanod

when is my burrito
That looks like shit. The concept artist who did that should be ashamed, unless they're 12, in which case I'd be moderately impressed.

Vieo

Don't know if this is bump-worthy. I noticed last week the 80GB PS3 was sold-out on newegg and on the weekend too. I checked yesterday and it was still sold-out. I checked this morning, still sold-out.

So I come home this evening and now it's not even listed on the site any more! The link is completely gone. The only one they have left is an "open-box" version.

Something is definitely amiss. I just wish the official announcement would come already.

Top Bottom