• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Multiple Gamestop-Related Sources Claim "Death of 80GB PS3 - 120GB Incoming"

My6cats

Banned
Mifune said:
I'm confused about the whole BC issue.

When people say that the newer PS3s have no BC, they mean no hardware BC, right? They still have software BC ala Xbox 360? Or does no BC literally mean no BC?
It literally means no BC. The 40GB PS3 don't have software BC like Xbox 360. That why I am trying to find a 80GB PS2 right now and a lot of places around me are sold out of the 80GB PS3.

NolbertoS

tagged for epic thread later..seeing Sony's plans to continually change there console SKU is like watching a girl change clothes daily, cause they're both indecisive, prone to "mood" changes, and insecure about how other portray them.

NolbertoS said:
tagged for epic thread later..seeing Sony's plans to continually change there console SKU is like watching a girl change clothes daily, cause they're both indecisive, prone to "mood" changes, and insecure about how other portray them.
Where does the semi-naked girl come into it? :D

Fafalada said:
It's not for consumers - but I know Sony wants to tap that DD revenue source for PS2 library.

Sony stripping BC from the low-end model was a good way to delay my PS3 purchase. Taking out BC altogether is a good way to drop the price I'm willing to pay for a new PS3 by about $150 (factoring in the costs of replacing my PS2 down the road and a convenience surcharge.)

Doing that and trying to put one over on me by selling downloads of PS2 games that can't be played from original discs would be a good way to keep me from buying a PS3, period.

On the other hand, if they go Wollan's route with software BC + DS3 + HDMI I will be there with fucking bells on.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
charlequin said:
Doing that and trying to put one over on me by selling downloads of PS2 games that can't be played from original discs
Well it works for Nintendo.
Anyway I don't think they would prohibit disc playing for compatible titles (they don't for PS1 either) - just that what is compatible might stay limited to what appears on PSN.

Of course we're all just guessing here, but from my understanding of technical issues behind all this, that's what I'd expect.

Dave Long

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
120GB laptop HDD's are currently the cheapest. I just bought a new Seagate for 64 bucks (Microcenter).

It's still retarded of Sony to use the HDD capacity to name the series of console. It's strange to me. What do you call it if you upgrade/downgrade the capacity?
I know I'm a day late and a dollar short on this reply, but I agree with this 100%.

While I said I hope they make the 40GB SKU the one and only, I think the right way to do it is have exactly that functionality with no "XXXGB" designation on the box whatsoever. You increase the size of the hard drive when prices dictate you should. Provided they're all above some minimum size and you're not changing them out every two months, I don't think it matters if it's 40-60-80 or 1 Terabyte. For the average PS3 customer, they really don't need to know, nor does it matter.

Set the minimum at 120GB if it makes people feel better, but don't put a number on the box at all except in the fine print. Just call it PlayStation 3, period.

All this multiple box stuff just invites confusion. Nintendo has set the right example. Follow it.

My6cats said:
It literally means no BC. The 40GB PS3 don't have software BC like Xbox 360. That why I am trying to find a 80GB PS2 right now and a lot of places around me are sold out of the 80GB PS3.

still plays PS1 games.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Can't anyone here look into seeing if SNE is still making the components from the 80GB? That might clear some things up or at least hint at things.

Evander

"industry expert"
charlequin said:
On the other hand, if they go Wollan's route with software BC + DS3 + HDMI I will be there with fucking bells on.

What model of PS3 doesn't already have HDMI?

Evander

"industry expert"
SRG01 said:
They all have HDMI. He means a HDMI cable.

Ah.

It'd be nice, sure, but it's not that big a deal.

You can get HDMI cables pretty cheap if you actually shop around, rather than buying the $60 off the shelf at EB.

Dave Long

Banned
Regardless of the cheapness of cables, Sony is foolish to not include some form of high definition cable with their high definition console. It just shows how little faith they have in the people buying PS3 that they know what the heck it is they just bought.

You could go so far as to say it's disrespectful of their customers.

SRG01

Evander said:
Ah.

You can get HDMI cables pretty cheap if you actually shop around, rather than buying the $60 off the shelf at EB.

I'd actually post something concerning digital cables and long distances, but... I won't.

Dave Long said:
Regardless of the cheapness of cables, Sony is foolish to not include some form of high definition cable with their high definition console. It just shows how little faith they have in the people buying PS3 that they know what the heck it is they just bought.

:facepalm

Your trolling is awful.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Evander said:
Ah.

Monoprice.com indeed.

Evander

"industry expert"
SRG01 said:
I'd actually post something concerning digital cables and long distances, but... I won't.

Sure, there are levels of quality, buy buying a monster cable is like buying an alienware PC; you're just overpaying, when you could have boughtthe exact same thing, without the brand name, for much cheaper.

Redd

SRG01 said:

Your trolling is awful.

I don't know about that. I can't tell you how many times I've seen PS3s hooked up through composite.

Evander

"industry expert"
SRG01 said:

Your trolling is awful.

I think that there is some grain of truth in what he said, albeit small.

Purely from a marketing standpoint, to advertise your product as being the definitive high definition experience, and then to ship it with composite cables, is kind of absurd.

SRG01

Evander said:
Sure, there are levels of quality, buy buying a monster cable is like buying an alienware PC; you're just overpaying, when you could have boughtthe exact same thing, without the brand name, for much cheaper.

Wow, way to totally miss what I was implying. Running cables longer than 10-12m generally requires a low-impedance/highly shielded cable since RF pickup becomes quite strong with that long of a wire and can disrupt digital communication. Ever tried to breadboard a RF system?

Evander said:
I think that there is some grain of truth in what he said, albeit small.

Purely from a marketing standpoint, to advertise your product as being the definitive high definition experience, and then to ship it with composite cables, is kind of absurd.

Maybe Sony, like all companies, want to make money off their HDMI cables and accessories? I'm not condoning their practices, but saying its absurd is kind of ignoring reality and what other companies do as well.

Evander

"industry expert"
SRG01 said:
Maybe Sony, like all companies, want to make money off their HDMI cables and accessories? I'm not condoning their practices, but saying its absurd is kind of ignoring reality and what other companies do as well.

The only other company you can really compare them to is MSoft, who package a combo composite/componant cable with their machines, and give a free HDMIcable withtheir highend Elite.

SRG01

Evander said:
The only other company you can really compare them to is MSoft, who package a combo composite/componant cable with their machines, and give a free HDMIcable withtheir highend Elite.

No, I mean most companies out there, even B&M stores. It's a widely "accepted" practice these days to upsell good quality HDMI cables.

I'm not for it, but I'm not going to dismiss reality either.

Evander

"industry expert"
SRG01 said:
No, I mean most companies out there, even B&M stores. It's a widely "accepted" practice these days to upsell good quality HDMI cables.

I'm not for it, but I'm not going to dismiss reality either.

What I'm saying is that their direct competition was doing differently before they hit the market (with better cables in the premium packs) and has continued to to differently previous to the launches of their revisioned SKUs.

I'm not saying it's an indefensible practice, or even that it is wrong of them, but there is definitely a bit of absurdity in the way that they proclaim superiority in the realm of "High Def", but don't toss you the cables to proveit when you pay the $600 entrance fee.

It was pretty irrelevant to me, regardless, since I'm using s-video.

Vieo

Should I pull the trigger and buy the 80GB model or should I wait to see if a new model is coming? Backwards compatibility is a huge issue for me. The 80GB model seems to be sold out all over the place, but there's a few left in my area. I would rather have the 60GB model for full BC, but I'm not willing to get one from eBay. What would be the best stores to look at for finding a 60GB model?

Evander

"industry expert"
Vieo said:
Should I pull the trigger and buy the 80GB model or should I wait to see if a new model is coming? Backwards compatibility is a huge issue for me. The 80GB model seems to be sold out all over the place, but there's a few left in my area. I would rather have the 60GB model for full BC, but I'm not willing to get one from eBay. What would be the best stores to look at for finding a 60GB model?

if you go gamestop, you have a 30 day warranty on a used one, and the price is less than a new 80 gig

call around to your local stores

Guy Legend

Vieo said:

Buy now.

Dave Long

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
And you're pretty clueless it seems. You can play games in 720p/1080p with the cables that come with the box.
Over composite cables? Maybe I really am clueless, but I didn't think you could output anything better than 480i over the red/white/yellow cables included with each PlayStation 3.

Dave Long said:
Over composite cables? Maybe I really am clueless, but I didn't think you could output anything better than 480i over the red/white/yellow cables included with each PlayStation 3.
Erm, aren't the ones that come in the box Component? oO

If not then oops, nm.

Metalmurphy said:
Erm, aren't the ones that come in the box Component? oO

If not then oops, nm.

sorry dude. You're wrong.

Also, for those of you who don't know: monoprice.com for cables. You can get an HDMI cable for you 360/PS3 for like $5. They work wonderfully and you save $20-40.

TwinsDad

Dave Long said:

Not sure about cables, but my Sony TV will only Take 480p, 720p, 1080i signals over component or DVI (no HDMI on his model).

Brak

Fafalada said:
Well it works for Nintendo.
Anyway I don't think they would prohibit disc playing for compatible titles (they don't for PS1 either) - just that what is compatible might stay limited to what appears on PSN.

Of course we're all just guessing here, but from my understanding of technical issues behind all this, that's what I'd expect.
wat

Nintendo's the only one to have full and flawless bc.

Westonian

SRG01 said:

But I will: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hdmi-cab...ster-cable-+-grand-finale-part-iii-282725.php

What's that? A $35 35' cable produced the same video signal as a $250 35' Monster brand HDMI cable? SHOCKING!

What's that you say? You need a 50' run? The $50 monoprice cable still worked as well as the $300 Monster brand cable?

SO WHY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY WOULD ANYONE PAY THAT MUCH MONEY FOR MONSTER CABLES?

Related to this question is the success of Bose: the answer is a combination of marketing, lazy research and ridiculous markups prompting retailers to push those brands.

Raistlin

Dave Long said:

You are making a pretty interesting assumption on Sony's reasoning ... nice conspiracy.

Acoms razor leads me to believe its simply a cost savings move.

Dave Long

Banned
Onix said:
You are making a pretty interesting assumption on Sony's reasoning ... nice conspiracy.

Where's the conspiracy? They put shit cables in the box of their High Definition console thus making it so that it's not high definition at all.

It's all at once insulting to the people who know better and insulting to the people who don't.

Cost savings my ass. We know how cheap component cables are through monoprice. The console is sold on the promise of high definition content and yet it cannot display that right out of the box because of the composite cables included in each one. It's insulting, and yes, I own one and bought an HDMI cable after being suitably insulted.

Psychotext said:
Irony is that a lot of people still think that the Wii has no BC. :lol

fry-see-what-you-did-there-scaled.jpg

Dave Long

Banned
TwinsDad said:
Not sure about cables, but my Sony TV will only Take 480p, 720p, 1080i signals over component or DVI (no HDMI on his model).
That's fine. We're talking about the composite cables included in the box.

Westonian

Onix said:

First off, it's Occam's razor.

Secondly, I doubt the cost difference in cables is big enough for this to be a cost cutting measure. Rubber and copper cost the same, the cables are just put together a little differently.

The real reason Sony doesn't include component or HDMI cables in the box is they would prefer that you buy their officially licensed or branded cables, thus offsetting a small portion of the per console manufacturing losses.

SRG01

Westonian said:
But I will: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hdmi-cab...ster-cable-+-grand-finale-part-iii-282725.php

What's that? A $35 35' cable produced the same video signal as a $250 35' Monster brand HDMI cable? SHOCKING!

What's that you say? You need a 50' run? The $50 monoprice cable still worked as well as the $300 Monster brand cable?

SO WHY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY WOULD ANYONE PAY THAT MUCH MONEY FOR MONSTER CABLES?

Related to this question is the success of Bose: the answer is a combination of marketing, lazy research and ridiculous markups prompting retailers to push those brands.

Surprising. I'm amazed that the cheaper cable didn't die of RF pickup at that distance. :lol

I'll see if I can look up my previous source. IIRC, it just says to upgrade to a slightly higher grade.

edit: Actually, Bose's specialty is miniaturization of home electronics. They might tout quality, but that's all they really do.

Top Bottom