• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: No plans for Mass Effect Andromeda on Nintendo Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

orioto

Good Art™
It could be worse. They said it could happen. They didn't say "Porting it on Switch would be too difficult"

GAF might be served well by a policy to only have a thread if a Switch game/version/port of something gets announced, instead of having a thread every time a multiplat is not coming to the Switch.

Yep. It should be the expectation especially for western games that it will not receive a Switch version. I really just want to see how they could get some games running on the device to determine if I would even make some sacrifices for portability and buy it.

Nilaul

Even if the Switch sells over 100 million and xbone stops selling significantly there will always be western third parties that won't support it.

There will also be western 3rd parties then scraping to release games for the switch that no one wants to play which are basically shovelware, and then they'll stop supporting it saying that there own games don't sell.

MacTag

Banned
Just about any one buying a Switch likely also owns a PS4, Xbox One or gaming PC. They are not missing out on anything.
People love rebuying old ports on new handhelds. That's been a cornerstone of the market since the original Game Boy.

Equating Switch to just being another console is looking at it the wrong way, people will rebuy games they've already played for portability. Not that this means every port will sell well either but it does open up a new angle for the same games. And sometimes those ports can really take off, look at Tetris, Animal Crossing or Monster Hunter for example.

stop expecting Switch to get more than a handful of direct ports of current-gen AAA games

buy a PS4/XB1/PC if you care so much about those games

ffs

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GAF might be served well by a policy to only have a thread if a Switch game/version/port of something gets announced, instead of having a thread every time a multiplat is not coming to the Switch.
In the long run I think this solves itself, as most games for Fall 2017 or later are not announced yet, but there's a small collection of upcoming games where people will actually be wondering about the question, as it wasn't cleared up in the game announcement press release.

I am super curious what the EA game on Switch is since it seems they have no interest in porting Frostbite / Switch cant handle ports of their big AAA PS4 / XB1 games.

Titanfall 2 could fit the bill I guess. Get BluePoint to do the magic they did on the 360 port of the first game.

J@hranimo

Banned
I am super curious what the EA game on Switch is since it seems they have no interest in porting Frostbite / Switch cant handle ports of their big AAA PS4 / XB1 games.

Titanfall 2 could fit the bill I guess. Get BluePoint to do the magic they did on the 360 port of the first game.

Sports!

Ponn

Banned
stop expecting Switch to get more than a handful of direct ports of current-gen AAA games

ffs

I've come to fully expect little 3rd party support on a Nintendo console BUT I'm still hoping for Switch to change that. I just don't play my PS4 much anymore for various reasons but would play the hell out of Andromeda on Switch in portable mode. Same for a lot of upcoming games.

Neoxon

I wasn't really expecting much in the name of western third party support, so this doesn't surprise me (especially with how ME3 sold on the Wii U).

Neoxon

If that's the case, then we may not get FIFA on the Switch, either (I believe that runs on Frostbite).

Jaymageck

You know as obvious as this was, this doesn't mean it isn't a bad thing.

It solidifies a reality that we expected, yet is none-the-less disappointing - That one again we can't assume big multi-platform titles will be represented on a Nintendo system.

Interfectum

Switch is probably not going to get a lot of day/date third party ports until it proves itself on the market. I don't think this is a technical limitation as many are alluding to in here.

Oregano

UE4 isn't a game in active development.

No but the Epic Games Japan manager directly said several major games that are already announced will be released on Switch.

ffs

I really don't think the vast majority are expecting more than a handful.

Jumeira

Banned
D4qQXLc.gif

wp1a382307.gif

Petrae

No surprise. I expect Switch to be another Wii U situation.

Yup. Whether it's weak specs or lack of confidence in terms of potential sales (leading to weak install base and poor/no ROI), I think another WiiU scenario-- some third-party support to start, then gradual slackening as time goes on-- is the likely scenario.

Gamezone

Gold Member
It still doesn't make any sense from a business point of view. Let Nintendo make a solid install base first.

Neoxon

It still doesn't make any sense from a business point of view. Let Nintendo make a solid install base first.
But from EA's point of view, there's no guarantee that the Switch will have a solid install base. No use in taking the risk now, especially given how the Wii U turned out.

No but the Epic Games Japan manager directly said several major games that are already announced will be released on Switch.

I really don't think the vast majority are expecting more than a handful.

I think people are jaded by vague announcements of support after the last few hardware launches from Nintendo. Rightfully so, IMO. "We're excited about Nintendo's new hardware" doesn't mean anything if 3 of your 4 upcoming AAA releases aren't coming.

z0m3le

Banned
I think people are jaded by vague announcements of support after the last few hardware launches from Nintendo. Rightfully so, IMO. "We're excited about Nintendo's new hardware" doesn't mean anything if 3 of your 4 upcoming AAA releases aren't coming.

I think EA has treated their customers on Nintendo platforms pretty shitty the last half decade. ME4 likely was never even tested on Switch devkits, or they wouldn't be so transparent about bringing the game over if Switch blows up.

Just makes me wonder how accurate that Wii U online service from EA was, as someone who buys a lot of EA products, I've dropped off quite a bit lately. ME is my favorite new ip from last gen and I was all in on a Switch version of the game, now I might pick it up on sale on steam/origin in a year. Where is all the hype for Mass Effect 4? N7 day was such a joke, well hopefully they pull off something great, but nothing from the trailers looks that interesting.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
This is something Switch owners will have to get used to hearing, unfortunately.

Aaryn

BioWare GM
I heard it will be 1080p on ps4 pro
So yeah 900p on ps4 and 720p on xbox

That's incorrect. As Mark Cerny from Sony has shared, Mass Effect: Andromeda is running at 1800p with checkerboard rendering on PS4 Pro - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...tation-4-pro-how-sony-made-a-4K-games-machine

Last I checked, we were like other Frostbite games on PS4 and XBox One - 1080p and 900p respectively. All are at 30 fps. PC has uncapped framerate. I think we've even gotten over the 30 fps cap in cutscenes, but I'll double-check in the next couple of weeks.

Oregano

Majority, maybe, but vast? I'm not really sure why else the Eurogamer clock speed report would have blown up the way it did.

Because there's a large contingent of people who just want to get their digs in.

Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom