• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN reveals SOME Revolution specs!

mosaic

go eat paint
Mashing said:
Man, if I didn't love Nintendo games I'd fucking forgo buying a Revolution.
QFT.

Nintendo wasn't kidding when they said they were going in a wildly divergent direction with the Revolution. Instead of keeping up with Sony and Microsoft on specs, they're focusing entirely on features.

It's just insane enough to work.

On the one hand, it's an Xbox.

On the other hand, cool new controller, downloadable Nintendo classics, and a price probably no higher than $150.

The Nintendo DS was a pretty insane idea to many of us in the beginning too. Now look at it. Nintendo am crazy geniuses.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
AltogetherAndrews said:
Nintendo fans never fail to impress. If it's not a hoax ("OMFG the clock in the background says 3:33!"), it's a conspiracy, and if it's not that then it's obviously an April Fools Joke. On March 29, but I'm sure if you multiply that date with 3:33 and then divide by Iwata's birth stone's numerical value and scribble that into a pictochat window, it will draw a map to the house of illusions where Matt C will welcome the true Nintendo fans to the magical realm of Nintenhoax.

:lol :lol :lol

GhostSeed

ant1532 said:
"WE ARE NOT COMPETEING WITH SONY AND MICROSOFT, WE ARE GOING IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION."

I realise that Nintendo wants to go in a different direction but it's going to be hard for consumers not to compare systems when there right next to each other at the store.

That being said, I'm still going to get the system reguardless of specs but I don't know if Joe Average is going to care about the Rev. if the graphics aren't on par with 360 or PS3.

GSG Flash said:
ScreenBloom.jpg

couldn't the gamecube do that easily though?

:-/

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

<<< now using alternative avatar.

*sigh*

Willy Wanka said:
April fools jokes in March? This isn't a printed magazine. Maybe the information is wrong, that's all. It wouldn't be the first time for IGN would it?

I think we all need to take this like men. It's not wrong, or a fake. If it makes you feel better, go beat up Mario in SSB:M.

I prefer to stay here and waddle in Nintendos shit.

No mention of this on the IGN homepage yet... Also what I don't understand is that the gamecube was only slightly less powerfull then the xbox. I also remember reading a while back that the Rev would sport a 2.4 Ghz IBM (dual core) processor. Strange... doesn't add up. This is also a very strange way to announce official system specs as opposed to doing it at E3.

Buggy Loop

So uhm, should i act suprised? isnt that what's been speculated since roughly 6 months now? A lot more powerful than both gamecube and xbox, im sure as hell aint gonna cry for the right price. Re4 x2, /cry cry /rolleyes

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Guy said:
Wasnt the budget allowed for ATI by Microsoft and Nintendo to make their GPU almost the same?
I thought I read awhile back the budget for both were almost exactly the same at around $500 million. I don't know if that's very accurate though. Can anyone confirm?

As far as the specs go, it's disappointing and less than I had hoped for, but I'm not at all suprised. If GC is about as powerful as Xbox though, Rev should be more powerful than Xbox. I can't believe they didn't add any graphical advancements like shaders in the GPU though. The ram is also just crummy. I could see the low CPU and GPU speed, but why skimp on ram and why not add any new features to the GPU?

On one hand, I wonder why Nintendo didn't make Revolution with better graphics and sell it for $300, but then you have comments by people like Matt-IGN who say Nintendo wants the console to be super cheap so it will be an impulse buy. If they are going for the impulse buy, it needs to sell for $99. Isn't GC selling at $99 and still generating a hardware profit? Most current gen new releases are now being sold for $39.99. If this is what Nintendo is going for, the price has to be right.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
AltogetherAndrews said:
On March 29, but I'm sure if you multiply that date with 3:33 and then divide by Iwata's birth stone's numerical value and scribble that into a pictochat window, it will draw a map to the house of illusions where Matt C will welcome the true Nintendo fans to the magical realm of Nintenhoax.

:lol
:lol:lol:lol

Pimpbaa

siege said:
If those are truely the specs for the Revolution, it better be damn cheap. $129.99 or bust.

If it's $199 or higher and the prices for the emulated games are true, then I will rename it the Nfan Assrape Machine.

So does this mean,

16 textures in a single pass
16 hardware lights
8 pixel pipelines
2 texel units
1.3 gigapixels per second

Just doubling everything up for the hell of it.

Marlowe

This has already been said a bunch of times in this thread -- but to the people saying that these specs are "suspicious", what's suspicious about them? We've been told that Rev will be less powerful than 360 and PS3.

I guess what I'm asking is -- what specs would be "believable"? You can't have specs that get THAT close to PS3 or 360.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Even if these are the real specs...why is everyone so hung up on graphics? Is GAF truly a lair of graphics whores? Oh wait, sorry, I forgot where I was for a second. This is GAF, of course you're all graphics whores. :p

Gawaian

OH SHIT!!

WTF was Nintendo thinking? Those specs are not even higher than the XBox specs. That's a GC1.5 indeed. And I know that all comes down to the games, but that's just ridiculous.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Marlowe said:
This has already been said a bunch of times in this thread -- but to the people saying that these specs are "suspicious", what's suspicious about them? We've been told that Rev will be less powerful than 360 and PS3.

I guess what I'm asking is -- what specs would be "believable"? You can't have specs that get THAT close to PS3 or 360.

I was thinking:

-900Mhz-1.0 Ghz CPU
-333 Mhz GPU

At the very least.

If this means $149, I'm all for it. I'm not buying Rev for power, I'm buying it for cool unique games. I'll have a 360 and a PS3 for power. $149 would make Rev even more of a no-brainer, and should make some multi-console gamers out of even partisan fanboys.

$99 launch will never happen. Other aspects of this system than CPU/GPU will be more costly than a Gamecube, and you certainly need to leave margin for price cuts.

TheTrin said:
Even if these are the real specs...why is everyone so hung up on graphics? Is GAF truly a lair of graphics whores? Oh wait, sorry, I forgot where I was for a second. This is GAF, of course you're all graphics whores. :p

There's more to power than just graphics.

Wow, even given my low expectations for the Revolution specs, Nintendo shocks me by delivering something even lower than that. Let's hope it's an April Fool's joke, because if it isn't... oh boy.

So essentially the Rev is an Xbox with a little more memory? While these specs seem crazy low, keep in mind that the original xbox was able to do many "next-gen" graphical effects in the later years of it's life that neither the PS2 or the Cube could touch [see unified lighting, shadows + normal mapping in Riddick, Doom 3, HL2 etc.] Hopefully the Rev will at least be able to pull off those shader / lighting effects, and coupled with it's SD output, it'll still be able to pump out some good visuals.

I really only care about the TG16 / Genesis emulation though to be honest, I hope this thing's dirt cheap.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AltogetherAndrews said:
There's more to power than just graphics.

I know that, but that's what everyone is capitalizing on. "next gen graphics" this and "next gen shaders" that. Get over graphics already.

thetrin

Zilch said:
So is anyone planning on being a Nintendo-only gamer next-gen?
has anyone done that at all in the last 2 generations?

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Zilch said:

I probably will. I don't have $400 to spend on a gaming device before I even buy any games or extra controllers.

Zilch said:

My plan remains the same: Revolution at launch, PS3/360 a year or so before Revolution 2. It's way cheaper, I won't miss anything, and I'll still get my new Nintendo systems at launch.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Zilch said:
Fugg you all! Nintendo only f4 lyfe!

*takes a swig of rubbing alcohol*

TheTrin said:
I know that, but that's what everyone is capitalizing on. "next gen graphics" this and "next gen shaders" that. Get over graphics already.
And move on to next gen physics? Oh wait. Revolution won't be doing that either.

Zilch said:

Depends on the software support, if its going to be like the gamecube in terms of droughts I might just stick with my ds until its successor comes out. This is more or less me becoming less interested in console gaming, the only reason I was even considering getting a revolution because I think that conductor game they were suggesting in their trailer looked kind of cool, and maybe metroid prime would finally have a fluid and intuitive control scheme.

TheTrin said:

I don't get it though, it's only now that Nintendo has declared that graphics are not important that it's ok for next-gen systems to have only marginal improvements. If the PS2/Xbox/GC were only marginal improvements they would have sucked. I don't see how it's being a graphics whore to expect current gen PC-level technology.

thetrin

Billy Rygar said:
And move on to next gen physics? Oh wait. Revolution won't be doing that either.

Excellent job on totally missing my point.

Seth C

Pimpbaa said:
If it's $199 or higher and the prices for the emulated games are true, then I will rename it the Nfan Assrape Machine.

What are the rumored prices of those emulated games for those of us who missed it?

thetrin

GitarooMan said:
If the PS2/Xbox/GC were only marginal improvements they would have sucked.

They would've? You're talking to someone who thinks Mother 3 is beautiful. :p

So many people, for months, have likened Rev to the 'DS' of console gaming.

DS = "underpowered", cheap, and has unique control.

Now we have confirmation that the "underpowered" part is right. We already know that the unique control part is right. So why the doom and gloom?

GitarooMan said:
I don't get it though, it's only now that Nintendo has declared that graphics are not important that it's ok for next-gen systems to have only marginal improvements. If the PS2/Xbox/GC were only marginal improvements they would have sucked. I don't see how it's being a graphics whore to expect current gen PC-level technology.

I honestly think ps2 was a marginal improvement over dreamcast, and xbox and gamecube were marginal improvements over ps2

If those specs are correct, then we should be expecting a low launch MSRP. I know Ninty is not playing the same game as the others, but man...

Here's to hoping the Hollywood has some tricks up its sleeve. *adds one dollar to the PS3 fund*

This thread has made my day. Thanks everyone. :D

Let's see.... 1.5 + 1.5 = 3.
Mar 29 + 3 = Apr 1st. ;)

If it's not a joke... oh well... I'm still getting it for the Nintendo games. Past generation all over again. *shrugs*

Top Bottom