• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN reviews TimeSplitters: Future Perfect

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Wario64 said:
Tip: Use Xbox/PS2 versions whenever linking to multiplatform reviews

To be fair, the Cube version went up first tonight. :)

And IGNPS2 seems to be saving their main story update for a little
God
later
of
tonight
war

koam

Yeah the Cube one was up first :p

The Xbox version supports HDTV 480p and widescreen; and the GameCube and PS2 versions support widescreen and progressive scan.

I've read this part 5 times and I still don't get what the difference is..

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
bitwise said:
does cube version have online modes? i'll get it for cube (if so).

EDIT: nevermind. picking it up for xbox

:lol

Nice one. Some people might of actually believed that u were gonna get the Cube version.

Anyway great scores all around and I will be picking this up without hesitation on Tuesday. Haters can go play Halo 2 till their eyeballs bleed (since that seems to be the game most haters compare it to).

Agent X

Musashi Wins! said:
Wow, the Xbox has 16 players and map-trading. That's pretty cool.

Does the PlayStation 2 version still have online map trading? For a long time, I was under the impression that it was supposed to, but the review makes it seem unclear.

kamikaze

so, anyone else read the actual review? is this the oddest intro to an FPS review?

"While not reaching the same levels of marketing genius as Nintendo's Pokemon series, Free Radical's TimeSplitters franchise has garnered the independent developer quite a reputation with critics and gamers alike, while keeping the bacon coming home every other year since the series' inception."

comparing timesplitters to pokemon? wha...how...that's such an odd pairing. it's on the xbox and gamecube reviews but not on ps2. at first i thought it was specially in the cube review so mr. perry could connect with the nintendo faithful, but i guess not. weird.

fallout

... that review by Douglas Perry was quite possibly the most generic review I've ever written. I'm beginning to understand why people on focus on scores.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
koam said:
Yeah the Cube one was up first :p

I've read this part 5 times and I still don't get what the difference is..

Either...

The Xbox version supports HDTV 720p and widescreen; and the GameCube and PS2 versions support widescreen and progressive scan.

The Xbox version supports HDTV 480p and widescreen; while the GameCube and PS2 versions support neither widescreen and progressive scan.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
fallout said:
... that review by Douglas Perry was quite possibly the most generic review I've ever written. I'm beginning to understand why people on focus on scores.
*raises eyebrow*

fallout

Dan said:
*raises eyebrow*
Alright, maybe not the most generic, but it read like a glorified preview. Some of it was informative I guess, but it spent a lot of time doing nothing but comparing it to other games. Which, of course, is fine, provided that you compare something about the game rather than just commenting on it.

It also felt like a very unjustified 9.0. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of TS, but there wasn't much of an argument for it, especially with comments like this:

plus one of the most sophisticated map-making tools in any console game

Wow. How insightful.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
fallout said:
Alright, maybe not the most generic, but it read like a glorified preview. Some of it was informative I guess, but it spent a lot of time doing nothing but comparing it to other games. Which, of course, is fine, provided that you compare something about the game rather than just commenting on it.

It also felt like a very unjustified 9.0. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of TS, but there wasn't much of an argument for it, especially with comments like this:

plus one of the most sophisticated map-making tools in any console game

Wow. How insightful.
he said the *"raised eyebrow*" thing because you said you wrote it. :lol Read the 2nd bold again.

This game's on the X-mas list atleast.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Definitely interested in the XBox version, if for nothing else then being able to use custom maps online. Should definitely greatly extend the replayability of the game if done right. I wish Bungie would release some sort of map editor in a Halo 2 content download. Maybe we'll see it in Halo 2.5 at E3. :)

garrickk

I can accept poorly written reviews, or review that have an obvious prejudice. We'll always have them.

What I can't accept is the lack of concrete details in reviews. Shouldn't every single review clearly and accurately list the technical (i.e. no room for interpretation) attributes of the game? Shouldn't the graphics section clearly list the display modes? The audio section should list the audio formats supported. And shouldn't the online/multiplayer section clearly list the online options? There are a lot of games out right now that you CAN'T find a decent answer to.

Why doesn't IGN or Gamespot have a spreadsheet with some of these details for all the games they review?

Culex

Banned
garrickk said:
I can accept poorly written reviews, or review that have an obvious prejudice. We'll always have them.

What I can't accept is the lack of concrete details in reviews. Shouldn't every single review clearly and accurately list the technical (i.e. no room for interpretation) attributes of the game? Shouldn't the graphics section clearly list the display modes? The audio section should list the audio formats supported. And shouldn't the online/multiplayer section clearly list the online options? There are a lot of games out right now that you CAN'T find a decent answer to.

Why doesn't IGN or Gamespot have a spreadsheet with some of these details for all the games they review?

Gamespot generally does a better job. They list on the "Gamespace" overview, simple tech info about the game: 480p/720p, etc., number of players.

Top Bottom