• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN rumour: PS4 to have '2 GPUs' - one APU based + one discrete

thuway

Barcelona Supercomputing Center It makes more sense for the rumor to be about emulation of cell in a PS4 than designing Cell2.

If you consider that a CPU + APU + GPU together have to emulate Cell in between frames rather than real time and we have 400 cores that can perform streaming and array tasks roughly 10 times faster than 7 SPUs and 4 CPUs that can perform a small single thread task (This is the big issue if critical timing ) at roughly 1/3 the speed of a SPU and Sony might be doing some custom work on memory performance ..... it might be possible.

Confirmed, Cellsim Cell emulation or modeling work being done. Certainly it looks like they are doing work that would allow them to design an emulator using the hardware rumored to be in the PS4.

From 2007 IBM Cell BE Software Development Kit 2.0

Rigbizzle, is there no chance we'll see a powerful PS4 :-/?

Rigbizzle, is there no chance we'll see a powerful PS4 :-/?
I have no way of knowing. I'm getting criticized by kageMaru and maybe by brain_stew for my walls of text that they think lead no-where. From my point of view I am investigating possibles and citing what I find.

I think Backward compatibility is a must in the PS4 and even though people were insisting the rumors pointed to no BC I didn't think that possible. This kept me from accepting 100% X-86 for the PS4 with no SPUs to make BC possible. I'd found the BSC cite earlier and assumed BSC would be writing parts of the OS for a Cell2 PS4. Turns out they are probably writing parts of the PS4 OS but the Cell emulation part. Rumors generally have truths in them but we may get it wrong.

By the way the APU in the PS4 chipset eliminates the need for Cell and that settles that issue, no 4 SPU or Cell from a refreshed PS3 is going into the PS4.

DieH@rd seconds the possibility/hope of some 3D stacking getting into a PS4. Looking at the APU and GPU in the PS4 rumored chipset cries out for some custom work on a common memory pool and timing would allow for the possibility of 3D stacked memory as both a cheaper and faster alternative to GDDR5 which the APU can't use and the GPU must use. Since it looks like both Microsoft and Sony are using the same GPU they might co-operate in a redesign to use 3D stacked memory (Xbox next chipset name Oban = Japanese coin and the microsoft-sony domain name registration by Microsoft). I think both Sony and Microsoft want a killer next generation console but don't want to bankrupt themselves. If Sony and Microsoft are using the same CPU and GPUs then both will need emulation for BC....they can share the cost here also.

Powerful PS4.....right now people who know more than I are guessing 5X PS3 performance...with a common memory pool and 3D stacked memory you might get 40% more out of the chips which would be 7-8 times a PS3...who knows what else they can come up with, they might reach 10X the magic number.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I'm thinking there's more to the reasoning behind them going with AMD for the CPU & GPU than what the rumors are suggesting. I'm sure the higher ups at Sony can't be too pleased about IBM essentially building the 360 CPU off of R&D Sony was paying for. They also seem to be burned by NVidia with the GPU, although I'm not exactly sure of the details behind that.

So I wonder if AMD suggested this kind of setup to both Sony and Microsoft with both having rumors of a dual GPU setup.

Be interesting to see if they both end up using a similar dual GPU setup.

Interesting find. It's interesting.. and odd that this is from 07. Have they been looking for a solution that far ahead?
No, it's simulation not emulation....simulation does not have to be real time. We have just not put together that a Simulator developed for IBM by Barcelona Supercomputer Center before 2007 to allow developers to check their PS3 or Cell software on a PC that may not run real time in 2007 may run real time at PS3 Cell speeds in 2013 particularly if the original developer of the Cell simulator (BSC) reworks it to use an APU's 400 cores in addition to a X86 processor.

Durante

There will be no realtime Cell emulation in 2013. Most likely there will not be any in 2020 either.

To do it you at the very very least need 7 cores clocked at 3.2 Ghz or higher that can do the same operations per clock that an SPE can, and offer the terabytes/s of local store bandwidth available on Cell. Just. Not. Happening. It is generally not possible to use a large number of simpler, slower "cores" to emulate a single fast core in real time.

raphier

Banned
There's 0% chance of Gpu's using Microsoft DirectX11. Me thinks this report is fake, since writer doesn't even know that. It has to be OpenGL, no less.

pottuvoi

Banned
There's 0% chance of Gpu's using Microsoft DirectX11. Me thinks this report is fake, since writer doesn't even know that. It has to be OpenGL, no less.
No developers would use opengl, just like on ps3.
My bet would be something similar to libgcm as API for ps4 games..

Confiture

Banned
An a8 3850 and HD 7670 (which is just a rebadged 6670...)???
Please let it be a bad joke.

I get that they might not go crazy like last gen but those specs would be downright pathetic for a 2013 console.

Because keeping power consumption, heat, and costs down by using less than cutting edge GPUs makes "zero sense whatsoever", huh?

Every time I see someone use a cliche like "makes me want to drown a kitten" or "die in a fire" I want to make a post about how this industry is in trouble if it doesn't change its ways drastically. (Am I doing this right??)

A 6670 isn't just low end, it could possibly be below contemporary Intel integrated graphics at launch. You don't need to go that pathetically low just to avoid problems with heat and power consumption.

I lol'd

And if this is true, I hope the 360 has a similar dual GPU set up. The PS3 suffered greatly in the multiplat area this gen because its architecture was so different from the 360's, don't want to see a repeat of that.

The PS3 had worse multi platform titles because it had a slower GPU with an antiquated architecture that was ill suited to modern game engines.

Sony won't make that same mistake again, which is why I wouldn't buy too much into this IGN rumour.

Is it possible that this is just the introductory dev kit thrown together to get used to the set up and the actual one coming out later in the year will have increased specs for each of the cards?

Indyana

So it's been reported than both Sony's and Microsoft's devkits have a GPU worse than the one in Wii U's devkit and ¿neoGAF is not on suicide watch?

Wow. I expected an angry mob with pitchforks and torches.

if these rumors are true, with apparently both PS4 and XBox 3 using antiquated (at the time of launch) PC hardware, I see little reason to not just cut out the middle-man and continue being a PC gamer.

So it's been reported than both Sony's and Microsoft's devkits have a GPU worse than the one in Wii U's devkit and ¿neoGAF is not on suicide watch?

Wow. I expected an angry mob with pitchforks and torches.

I would be in that angry mob....it would be shit if my laptop which I bought 2 and half years before the PS4 launches has a more powerful gpu....would mean I would wait to pick one up second hand, down the road when it hits sub £100

If the 720 and PS4 are underpowered I may just skip them and wait to get another, much more powerful laptop in 2014 or so

SparkTR

if these rumors are true, with apparently both PS4 and XBox 3 using antiquated (at the time of launch) PC hardware, I see little reason to not just cut out the middle-man and continue being a PC gamer.

It's not the hardware that keeps me a PC gamer, it's the service (though hardware still weighs in heavily). I'll be looking at how or if they shake things up with XBLA and PSN. If they continue with their restrictive, bureaucratic walled gardens and paywalls then I'm out regardless of what's under the hood.

Globox_82

Banned
Why is everyone ignoring several facts, like IGN might be pulling it out of their ass. Even more important, and which is probably the case. These are early dev kits spec.

DieH@rd

Banned
AMD A8-3850 ~$120
Radeon 6670 ~ $70
cheap motherboard ~ $50
4gigs of ddr3 ~ $20
simplest case & cheapest chinese psu ~ $ 50
cheap hdd ~ $50
total $360
This can play Crysis 2 with high settings in 1080p @ average 32FPS.

No, it's simulation not emulation....simulation does not have to be real time. We have just not put together that a Simulator developed for IBM by Barcelona Supercomputer Center before 2007 to allow developers to check their PS3 or Cell software on a PC that may not run real time in 2007 may run real time at PS3 Cell speeds in 2013 particularly if the original developer of the Cell simulator (BSC) reworks it to use an APU's 400 cores in addition to a X86 processor.

After a nights rest, I was thinking, even if they got simulation of the Cell, they'd still have to emulate the RSX... nVidia and AMD aren't quite the same.

ElFly

If they are going to support BC with the PS3 they'll have to include a real Cell.

Wonder how much this would cost Sony.

Unless they are preparing a separate plugable Cell (which would still need some pretty big buses into the RAM and GPU) I don't see it happening.

Could these rumours simply not just be deliberate misinformation campaigns by Sony/MS to try and out the other off, so to speak? Release "low" specs and when PS4 (or 720) is massively more powerful than the other, job done.

Or is that a little naive of me?

Biggzy

If they are going to support BC with the PS3 they'll have to include a real Cell.

Wonder how much this would cost Sony.

Unless they are preparing a separate plugable Cell (which would still need some pretty big buses into the RAM and GPU) I don't see it happening.

Lets face it, the chances of BC being in the PS4 is close to zero.

Shikoro

@dieh@rd
so you're saying we can expect the next playstation to be 300 - 350 bucks.

If Sony used components like this, it would cost them $250 to manufacture, maybe even less. The thing is, these specs are just IGN's speculation and are nowhere close to what's actually gonna be in the PS4. At least I think so. :p

ElFly

Lets face it, the chances of BC being in the PS4 is close to zero.

Well, what may be happening is that the devkits don't include a Cell because Sony is waiting to make another process/board complexity reduction on the PS3 and use that to include BC on the PS4.

However, the PS3 architecture doesn't lend itself well to BC, and if the PS4 is really using Llano or a similar APU, that is already a pretty tight chip design that I doubt it you can just plug a Cell in the middle of it and give it the bandwidth it needs to the memory.

KageMaru

Is it possible that this is just the introductory dev kit thrown together to get used to the set up and the actual one coming out later in the year will have increased specs for each of the cards?

While this is possible, it doesn't make sense to have such a slow GPU even if it's an early dev kit. A 7850/7870 GPU would make more sense IMO.

After a nights rest, I was thinking, even if they got simulation of the Cell, they'd still have to emulate the RSX... nVidia and AMD aren't quite the same.
Even if they stuck with Nvidia, getting conpatability with the low level RSX access in PS3 would be difficult enough.

gaming_noob

Could these rumours simply not just be deliberate misinformation campaigns by Sony/MS to try and out the other off, so to speak? Release "low" specs and when PS4 (or 720) is massively more powerful than the other, job done.

Or is that a little naive of me?

R&D takes years. I think this theory is invalid.

Globox_82

Banned
Since everyone seems unhappy with these specs, let us know what would satisfy you? But be realistic, don't just take PC parts and throw it around and tell us how RAM is cheap.
Realistically, what are those specs? But take into consideration that they are probably going for APU design and that cheapest SKU could be 499 usd fall of next year.

USC-fan

Banned
AMD A8-3850 ~$120
Radeon 6670 ~ $70
cheap motherboard ~ $50
4gigs of ddr3 ~ $20
cheap hdd ~ $50
total $360

Doesn't work like that in a console. All chips will be custom. Plus you code straight to the metal. This hardware would run crysis at 60+ fps

DieH@rd

Banned
@dieh@rd
so you're saying we can expect the next playstation to be 300 - 350 bucks.

Who knows. We absolutely dont know how modified will that CPU and GPU be [or will they be there at all, im still hoping for 100W 77xx card], how much RAM will be present [2GB of GDDR5 will cost them ~100$], fancy peripherals, hard drive...

onQ123

AMD A8-3850 ~$120
Radeon 6670 ~ $70
cheap motherboard ~ $50
4gigs of ddr3 ~ $20
cheap hdd ~ $50
total $360

no disc drive, KB & Mouse or controller?

Shikoro

Since everyone seems unhappy with these specs, let us know what would satisfy you? But be realistic, don't just take PC parts and throw it around and tell us how RAM is cheap.
Realistically, what are those specs? But take into consideration that they are probably going for APU design and that cheapest SKU could be 499 usd fall of next year.
POWER7 CPU with 8 cores, each core being capable of 4-way SMT
HD7850 with 2GB VRAM
2GB XDR2 DRAM

:p

I expect some of BC can be done by writing code that is API compatible with the PS3 rather than use emulation. The PS3 OS is locked down with standards that can be supported with other hardware, it's only game engines and game coding to the metal for SPUs that will need emulation. Most of the use for SPUs was to supplement the RSX and that could be emulated by the APU GPU.

Some thought to forward compatibility for the PS3 and PS4 must be in the standards published by Khronos; OpenGL, OpenMax IL and OpenCL. The PS3 was too early to support OpenCL but the other two should allow for easier PS3 backward compatibility on PS4.

Someone other than me should be discussing this. I'm comfortable that if Sony wants BC then BSC is the perfect partner to determine what's needed in hardware and to write the software to emulate Cell. The BSC Rumor does support this. The choice of an APU and a second GPU rather than a simpler to implement off the shelf CPU & single GPU then makes more sense, the APU (both CPU and GPU in the same package) to emulate a Cell.

from 2006 Sony GDC slideshow PSGL

“PSGL”, not “PS3GL”
Foundation for the future, beyond PS3

Continue to develop extensions, esp. for performance
Higher-level state management
Leverage multi-core and high-bandwidth interconnects
Help good code run faster
Integration of shader effects

ARB in Khronos
The best of Desktop and Embedded!

random thoughts:
-BC will probably come via a companion device like their patent described. alternately it would be interesting to see if there's a way to just use an existing PS3. the APU could be assigned to assist with this instead of the main gpu.
-AFAIK the APU assisting the main gpu tech that AMD has works almost the exact same as their solution for video cards working along with the integrated gpu's on motherboards. i haven't heard anything good about the performance at all, and apparently it requires the gpu and integrated gpu to be very close in power, and in the same chip family. this makes me think that Sony isn't fling to have it work like this, and as others have said they will just let devs program the hardware directly instead of using dx11. so it won't matter anyway if there's a weird compatibility issue of they DO allow devs to use the APU with the gpu.
-but then again the APU could always be to keep the OS and multitasking things going smoothly, and won't even deal with games at all.
-could the 7670 and A8 just be placeholders on early kits so devs get used to the general architecture? then when the 'real' kits come they have an SI gpu with a more modern AMD cpu/apu. devs will have to tweak stuff, yes, but they will at least be familiar with AMD chips and the cpu/apu/gpu setup.

i think this is an early devkit so Sony can just give them something x86 to work with until final kits are ready. i think the rumors about SI gpus is more about what Sony expects to put in final ps4 units.

MasLegio

Banned
hardware not being able to run 1080p at 60+ fps is a failure for next gen, if that is the case

support for 4K resolution is a total waste of money and resources

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AMD A8-3850 ~$120
Radeon 6670 ~ $70
cheap motherboard ~ $50
4gigs of ddr3 ~ $20
cheap hdd ~ $50
total $360
Oh man. So we get machine that's what... 2, maybe 3 times more powerful than the 7 year old previous console. Yay progress.

In light of that, rumored X720 5-6x faster than X360 doesn't sound so bad anymore, does it? And it would make sense if it has 2x6670, as that config with proper coding could potentially run Crysis 2 High at 60FPS, making the numbers match up.

Maxrunner

Quick someone should create a new thread about this....lets put some sensationalist title like "PS4 only 2x Ps3 tops=Mark Rein Cries." or something like that....

onQ123

a APU + GPU seem like a natural step after Cell + GPU

because Cell is a CPU that's also good at GPU tasks.

& if Cell was able to help a less powerful GPU put out the best looking games of this Generation I'm pretty sure the GPU in the APU can help the 7670 put out some amazing looking games.

& keep in mind that this is nothing like the same specs being in a PC because the devs can code for this set up & take advantage of having a GPU working close with the CPU in the APU.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
hardware not being able to run 1080p at 60+ fps is a failure for next gen, if that is the case

support for 4K resolution is a total waste of money and resources

Devs would rather make the game "twice as good looking" than running 60 fps on consoles more often than not.

If this gen was an indication, ~8 year gen,I'd say 4k res is anything but a waste... If 4k isn't common by 2020 then I don't know what to think.

Top Bottom