• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN rumour: PS4 to have '2 GPUs' - one APU based + one discrete

Like Japan?

The fact that MS sold more consoles than Sony did last year with basically being totally dead in Japan shows you just how important that region is. Also, to huge publishers like Activision and EA Japan doesn't really affect them because of the lack of sales for their games in that region. When these companies look at total units sold they really aren't looking at JPN sales thinking that it's a potential customer for them.

What? The 360 outsold the PS3 in North America, but the PS3 outsold the 360 in every other major region (Europe, Japan and the remaining WW sales).

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the 360 outsell the PS3 last year WW?

jett

D-Member
Kind of a poor GPU for a 2013 console, if true.

Anyway, I wonder if all these tech specs rumblings mean we will see next-gen announcement from Sony and Microsoft this year?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Quick question, would an APU help with OS processing a lot? I know it can't make an enormous difference visually so would it allow for a lot of extra, RAM/power hungry OS level features like cross game chat without having too much of an impact on gameplay? I know they're more for media features so if the main GPU got boosted a bit from these rumors (which if they're true and they're based on devkits will likely happen) it could allow for the OS to be much faster and well integrated into the system, something that is kind of lacking on the PS3 with trophy delays and slow loading in game. I could be completely off base so hopefully someone who knows more about this kind of configuration can clarify. If that's true, then maybe the APU could also be used for the Move/Kinect processing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
StevieP, since you're in the know:

Are we looking at an exact re-run of 2006 or is the gap between the Sony/MS systems and the Wii U smaller?

Just curious because I find it fascinating how this is playing out.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I dont understand the problem to be honest. We saw some pretty awesome visuals this gen. The rsx achieved god of war 3 graphics...as shity and outdated as the rsx is...god of war 3 remains the best looking console game ever...if not the best looking game on the market.

Expect a significant upgrade of visuals and physics with these rumoured specs.

I aint complaining.

Proelite

Are we looking at an exact re-run of 2006 or is the gap between the Sony/MS systems and the Wii U smaller?

You saw his tag right?

StevieP

Banned

It's all heresay at this point. You'd have to get a developer to break an NDA for more specifics, and that's not going to happen for a little while I'd gather.

Hilariously, however, the least known elephant in the room is the Wii U (in terms of leaks, which are all over the place) and where it falls into in regards to how much of a stop-gap in-between it is. It's got an OoO CPU with triple the cache of the 360's, a GPU that is *heavily* modified from its base chip (which was speculated to be the 4770 or 4830 in the first kits), and double-to-triple the memory of current generation. That's all we know. It's still going to fall behind, though.

As brain_stew has previously mentioned, Kotaku's information comes from known targets
(edit: yes I'm aware that targets can change as the consoles get to the final stages, in either direction)
. IGN's info - well I don't know. It must come from the kits
(edit: their Wii U info came from the initial off-the-shelf version-parts of the kits, not the final targets - that could be one way that this makes sense in this case as it could be from their same source)
, as they've recently stated in their edit. And yes, I like my tag. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :D

lol what? Since when does MS have better studios then Sony?

MS's best first party studio is the one making the actual OS for the system. Think about the OS of the 360 when it launched and think about the PS3 OS when it launched a full year later.

Online services and the OS experience will be huge factors next gen so Sony really needs to step up their game (no pun intended). They need to match features for MS's new system out of the gate... all for free or they risk pissing off a vast majority of their current core users that will upgrade sight unseen.

iceatcs

Wow, so pretty much look like Dec 2012 to March 2013 (if games are ready). MS need to find the magic price if come later.

FLEABttn

Banned
that's like saying Sony would not let MS use BR (yea yea I know Sony is not the only owner of BR but still they have biggest vote in it). You just license it and that's it. Sony laptops use it

There is a Blu-ray consortium. There is not a Direct X consortium.

Violater

The upcoming console wars are foreshadowed by the lack of quality new releases.
This has to be the worst spring for games releases in the PS3's history.

Pimpbaa

This.

I expect Sony to learn almost nothing from the PS3, and the Vita should have reminded people of that.

PS4 will end up another "hard to work with, but worth the effort" expensive console.

I hope for their sake it's not, but remember, while Kaz is a new CEO, he's not exactly fresh blood.

How is the Vita hard to work for? It's almost all standard mobile parts.

iceatcs

Based on latest next gen console GPU rumours:
PS4 will get AMD's A8-3850 APU and Radeon HD 7670 while Xbox 720 will get customise card close to an AMD Radeon 6990 (Was it 2x 6670?).

If this is coming out in late 2013, how much of a spec jump we would expect a year from now? I assume they're working on very early dev kits. Seems like these parts are gonna be very dated by the time ps4 actually releases.

Elios83

If those are the specs, with an optional hard drive they can pretty much launch at mass market price, 299$ for the top SKU.
By the end of 2013 this thing will be so outdated, it's roughly 5X the PS3 (being generous), 7 years later. Also it would mean 2GB main memory + 1GB VRAM.
I hope the IGN source is completely wrong. I don't want a 599$ system again but I expect to see a real leap from a previous console released so many years earlier.

I'm sure MS would gladly license the Windows OS for Sony to use in PSNext. Sony would never do it, but no one would be happier than MS;)

MS previously already stated that Sony is their biggest customer. Kaz Hirai is in charge of the division that must compete as well as the different division that works with MS for different aspects.

Bear

Based on latest next gen console GPU rumours:
PS4 will get AMD's A8-3850 APU and Radeon HD 7670 while Xbox 720 will get customise card close to an AMD Radeon 6990 (Was it 2x 6670?).

As far as I know, the 7670 is literally just a rebranded 6670, the only difference is that it is OEM-only (as in, not sold directly to consumers at retail).

I'd be shocked if Durango has either a 6990 or two 6670s. I haven't really been following the rumours so I could be wrong, but I think it's much more realistic that it ends up with a GPU+APU combo than two dedicated GPUs. Although the 6670 should be dirt cheap these days so I guess it's not impossible.

thuway

Honestly if Wii U will be as powerful as devs are claiming-

Why can't MS and Sony wait till 2014? Tahiti performance, double ram densities, and a "visual jump" worth waiting for...

The magical 2.5 teraflops number will be achieved, 4 GB of ram, 4 GB of system ram, and 3D stacking. Come on GAF :(, is no one with me?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow, so pretty much look like Dec 2012 to March 2013 (if games are ready). MS need to find the magic price if come later.

?

Where are you getting this?

WiiU Hype Train

LGEF9.jpg

PS4 Hype Train

OnDkg.jpg

Nah, I think it's more like

Next-Gen Console Hype Train:

Irv0P.jpg

I get the feeling most people are going to be disappointed with the specs of both consoles if they seriously expect some 2x Kepler GPU 8Gb RAM monstrosity. I'm setting my expectations far lower, and for the sake of the industry I hope my expectations are closer to what we get.

We don't need more studios shutting down. We need less drastic leaps in power and more importantly some serious industry restructuring. We're in big trouble if things just keep going down the standard path. Unless you want our generation's version of the Atari 5200 scenario. I don't.

Logic would dictate that a console manufacturer would go for a strong GPU above all else, given how GPUs have advance in recent times. Entry level GPUs from 2010 simply do not make any sense whatsoever. This has to be some sort of low range devkit that will be improved as final hardware nears completion. Because as it stands, these type of cards will not produce a marketable difference from current gen consoles enough to warrant a purchase. If this is true, MS and Sony are making a monumental mistake.

kuroshiki

PS1 was REALLY cutting edge. It was actually better than arcade at the time of release, which was shocker.

But anyway what's the point of having APU and separate video card? As far as I know there is very small performance increase for this route.

Just put SoC with decent, fast Ram on it.

thuway

Nah, I think it's more like

Next-Gen Console Hype Train:

Irv0P.jpg

I get the feeling most people are going to be disappointed with the specs of both consoles if they seriously expect some 2x Kepler GPU 8Gb RAM monstrosity. I'm setting my expectations far lower, and for the sake of the industry I hope my expectations are closer to what we get.

We don't need more studios shutting down. We need less drastic leaps in power and more importantly some serious industry restructuring. We're in big trouble if things just keep going down the standard path. Unless you want our generation's version of the Atari 5200 scenario. I don't.

What the hell are you talking about?

MS's best first party studio is the one making the actual OS for the system. Think about the OS of the 360 when it launched and think about the PS3 OS when it launched a full year later.

Online services and the OS experience will be huge factors next gen so Sony really needs to step up their game (no pun intended). They need to match features for MS's new system out of the gate... all for free or they risk pissing off a vast majority of their current core users that will upgrade sight unseen.

They've already done that, and then some, with the Vita. So, I'd expect that the PS4 will continue that trend. They've learned from their PS3 mistake.

kuroshiki

Logic would dictate that a console manufacturer would go for a strong GPU above all else, given how GPUs have advance in recent times. Entry level GPUs from 2010 simply do not make any sense whatsoever. This has to be some sort of low range devkit that will be improved as final hardware nears completion. Because as it stands, these type of cards will not produce a marketable difference from current gen consoles enough to warrant a purchase. If this is true, MS and Sony are making a monumental mistake.

Mid-range card from 2010 can do 1080p 60fps without a sweat, and with optimization, 16x AA can be applied too.

Seriously, you are vastly underestimating modern GPUs. They are way way ahead of current GPUs in consoles. Even the low level ones are way superior than RSX.

squidyj

Every time I see some half-baked post spout off about how powerful hardware will be the death of the industry I have to drown a kitten. I've drowned a lot of kittens.

Well like everybody else probably, I rushed to look up the specs on these parts...

At first when I looked up the 3850, I found an article that said it's graphics was comparable to a HD6450. So I looked that up and found it to have 160 stream processors, and wrote my comments on that.

However then I did better googling, and found the 3850 actually has 400 stream processors! Quite an increase in beef and much better. Again consider Xenos to have something like 240 stream processors (though Xenos doesn't have SP's mind you)

7670 is an OEM only part, the most shocking thing though was it IS a 6670 according to one website. Look here

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-releases-oem-radeon-hd-7670/14441.html

AMD has quietly announced the second desktop product in its Radeon HD 7000 range - HD 7670 for OEMs. There's nothing new about the 7670 OEM however - it is simply a rebranded HD 6670.

The specifications and performance are identical to HD 6670.
Both are based on Turks XT, featuring 480 VLIW-5 SP, 24 TMU and 8 ROPs running at 800 MHz. Upto 1GB GDDR5 at 4 GHz is mated to a 128-bit interface. HD 6670 held the distinction of being the fastest graphics card not requiring an addition PCIe connector (i.e. it draws all its power from the PCIe slot) which is what made it popular with OEMs. The HD 7670 powers HP's upcoming Phoenix products and is likely to show up in a few OEM desktops around CES 2012 time.

This is about 3X xenos power by Gflops. Again maybe give it some more advantage based on it being a lot more advanced.

That said, the fact 7670 IS a 6670 makes me wonder if IGN got their systems wrong when they claimed Xbox would have a 6670...

That or they're IGN and have no idea what they're talking about...at least Scott Lowe didn't write it LOL.

It does jive with a few things...the Pastebin guy said PS4 was like a crappy Emachines or something...well, a crappy emachines would probably come with a AMD 3850...lol.

Just weirdness.

Edit: So all told you're looking at 400 SP's on the 3850 and another 480 SP's on the GPU, or 880 SP's, which is not a bad number at all....assuming they can use them together like SLI. If any of this is true of course.

It sounds like something Sony would do LOL, kind of a convoluted setup with a lot of power on the CPU SP's...sound familiar?

Top Bottom