• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN rumour: PS4 to have '2 GPUs' - one APU based + one discrete

Log4Girlz

Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/uncharted-vs-gears-of-war-lifetime-sales-comparison

"Released in October 2009, NDP Group's sales data showed Uncharted 2 was the top-selling game in the U.S. for the month of October that year with 537,000 units sold. About a month later Senior Vice President of Business Development at Sony Computer Entertainment Phil Rosenberg reported Uncharted 2 had crossed the one million sold mark on November 12, 2009, becoming the third first-party title on PS3 to sell over 1 million units in North America. On February 2010, it was reported that Among Thieves sold over 3.5 million copies worldwide. At the time it was the fastest selling first-party title on any PlayStation platform, but today it took only Uncharted 3 one day to accomplish those sales."

This is a dirty search, not sure if the site is accurate, but UC 1 and 2 didn't do so hot really, but 3 did great! The quote if accurate is stunning though, did it really take until 2009 to have a first party title break 1 million units sold in NA?

Against a company that has a zillion more cash (MS) it does mean red ink TBH.

Sony should be smart and go for not-so awesome hardware and increase their focus on software and services and hope the exclusives from this gen will get them some followers. It is going to be a very though battle for them IMHO. Going to mega power hardware will just kill them. XBLA alone is a killer... they really need a much, much, much better PSN.

All IMHO ofc.

MS isn't going to intentionally bleed themselves when they don't need to. MS already has the arguably "better" service lineup (in North America), while Sony is trying to keep up in the same market (though THEY arguably have better services elsewhere).

theBishop

Banned
I am not talking about the sales volume rather that they aren't selling every unit at loss like they did with PS3 for a year or two after launch.

Yep. I'm not sure what's contributing to this idea that major technological development stopped with PS3 and Xbox360.

The next batch of consoles could go fairly conservative in hardware design, and still stomp the current boxes.

z0m3le

Banned
Yep. I'm not sure what's contributing to this idea that major technological development stopped with PS3 and Xbox360.

The next batch of consoles could go fairly conservative in hardware design, and still stomp the current boxes.

Yep, and they will. And basically shader model 3 is why the PS360 are relevant, there is nothing that those consoles can't do, even Tessellation is in the 360, and they can prebake lighting, so those consoles aren't really outdated from a purely technical aspect, they are simply vastly inferior.

I can see these next consoles sitting between 1tflop and 2tflops under $400, and not even incur a loss... Honestly the APU being used for OpenCL is the most interesting aspect as far as specs goes that I could imagine, you could have fully rendered hair, clothes, wind... little stuff that really can bring a game world to life. Add in lighting like in the Wii U bird demo, and some real Tessellation, and you'd have a next gen looking game.

thuway

It could very well use a Pitcairn level GPU, but that GPU is

The above specs would be possible, and are in line with what I'm basically saying, IF they were releasing a console in 2014, but they have been saying that they are releasing before Microsoft and we have quite a few rumors that say they are targeting 2013 holiday, besides you don't want to leave Wii U on the market for 2 years by itself, especially if it does hit the rumored 1.2Tflop GPU specs, that could really change Nintendo's tech imagine, which I imagine Sony and MS want them to carry for a few more gen cycles.

Most rumors are suggesting the Wii U will be on the same level as the PS3/360. If this is true, both Sony and MS can breathe a sigh of relief and release a beast in 2014.

You forgot

?
Profit

This is the 2014 version of the suggested 2013 PS4. Waiting one year will make THAT much of a difference. You'll have enough RAM, GPU grunt, and every other whistle under the sun.

z0m3le

Banned
Current rumors about the next Xbox sound aggressive to me. If these systems are really shipping with multiple GPUs, I wouldn't call them conservative.

This rumor has 2 GPUs, but it's definitely not going to end up being bleeding edge tech, I mean the rumored devkit is 1.2tflops combined between the two chips, and that has some real issues with stuttering that makes it much more likely for OpenCL to be the main point of the APU's GPU.

Most rumors are suggesting the Wii U will be on the same level as the PS3/360. If this is true, both Sony and MS can breathe a sigh of relief and release a beast in 2014.

This is the 2014 version of the suggested 2013 PS4. Waiting one year will make THAT much of a difference. You'll have enough RAM, GPU grunt, and every other whistle under the sun.

Actually the PS4 was called on par with current gen systems with these rumored specs. OBVIOUSLY these rumors are all very hard to believe, as these specs are clearly multitudes better, likewise, the bird demo on the early Wii U dev kit is simply pushing at least twice the graphical power than a 360. Especially considering the tablet had the scene rendering separately.
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26662-orbis-specs-get-detailed
Our contacts in the development community seem divided on what the box can actually deliver in terms of performance. According to one developer, “…we really don’t know how well the unit can perform, but so far it has been on par with the current generation.”
-is in reference to the PS4 and these leaked specs.

Log4Girlz

Waiting to 2014 is a death sentence.

theBishop

Banned
This rumor has 2 GPUs, but it's definitely not going to end up being bleeding edge tech, I mean the rumored devkit is 1.2tflops combined between the two chips, and that has some real issues with stuttering that makes it much more likely for OpenCL to be the main point of the APU's GPU.

Meh. I don't think we have enough info to confirm or deny that. I'm hopeful that OpenCL does have a role to play on the next systems. Flops can be a poor indicator of real-world performance. They're great if you want to know how a sorting algorithm or prime number generator will perform. Games are less predictable.

Releasing a year later with stronger hardware didn't help the PS3.
It didn't hurt it either. The price stagnated it, not the release date. In the end they only ended up 3 million behind 360 after giving it a 10 million head start

The last released console this gen was Wii, which ended up taking a massive lead

theBishop

Banned
Waiting to 2014 is a death sentence.

It would be a mistake to launch the next consoles before the current ones have some time to sell at a $149 price point. $199 and below is a huge period of profitability. Killing the current consoles before that period is a fundamental mistake.

If you're talking about WiiU establishing a next-gen foothold or something, I find that very unlikely. If WiiU is to be a success, it will be a co-equal partner with PC+PS3+360 getting 3rd party ports. Microsoft and Sony have to worry about eachother, and maybe Apple, Valve, OnLive, etc. Nintendo is playing a different game.

Log4Girlz

It would be a mistake to launch the next consoles before the current ones have some time to sell at a $149 price point. $199 and below is a huge period of profitability. Killing the current consoles before that period is a fundamental mistake.

If you're talking about WiiU establishing a next-gen foothold or something, I find that very unlikely. If WiiU is to be a success, it will be a co-equal partner with PC+PS3+360 getting 3rd party ports. Microsoft and Sony have to worry about eachother, and maybe Apple, Valve, OnLive, etc. Nintendo is playing a different game.

MS will launch in 2013, waiting until 2014 would be the end of Sony in this segment. Additionally, of all the competition you mentioned Nintendo's product is the MOST like MS and Sony's.

z0m3le

Banned

If Xbox could dethrone Playstation thanks to a year head start, I don't think Sony and Microsoft can ignore Nintendo having the only next gen console out for 2 years straight, even if it ends up being a dreamcast.

Log4Girlz

M°°nblade;36812817 said:
Maybe not. If Nintendo is extending the current generation by releasing a late current gen console, I could see both MS and Sony waiting till 2014 to get better tech or lower production costs.

That's 8 and 9 years since their previous system launched for Sony and MS respectively. Yeah, death sentence.

If Xbox could dethrone Playstation thanks to a year head start, I don't think Sony and Microsoft can ignore Nintendo having the only next gen console out for 2 years straight, even if it ends up being a dreamcast.

Xbox didn't dethrone Sony because of a year headstart.

Sony dethroned Playstation, and to a lesser extent Nintendo contributed to that. Xbox simply benefited from a far less competitive system.

i-Lo

M°°nblade;36812817 said:
Maybe not. If Nintendo is extending the current generation by releasing a late current gen console, I could see both MS and Sony waiting till 2014 to get better tech or lower production costs.

The key is "both". Both of them would want to launch early 2014, which I don't see happening if there is no gentlemen's agreement between MS and Sony. Then again, it comes down to the specs.

z0m3le

Banned
M°°nblade;36812817 said:

That is a pretty big IF, as I just shown Devs calling consoles "On par" can fall into THESE rumored specs too, heck Wii U's current rumored specs actually are almost identical to this, except with a better CPU.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Pushing for power doesn't mean going into the deep red. Vita has proven that. I don't understand why is it so difficult to comprehend that unlike last gen where Blu-ray drive and a bespoke product of massive R&D called Cell were the greatest contributors to manufacturing expenses, this time, Sony would be going for customized versions of existing or their derivative technologies. That pertains to both CPU/APU and GPU. And BD does not cost anywhere as much as it did to make when PS3 was launched.

I agree with this, actually. They can make a much more powerful machine using mainly off the shelf parts. But that doesn't seem to be what people want, people seem to want them to make the most cutting edge possible machine and cram the equivalent of a cutting edge PC into a $400 box.

That's 8 and 9 years since their previous system launched for Sony and MS respectively. Yeah, death sentence.
That's one year from now versus two years. I'll still be playing plenty of PS3 games next year. 2014 it may get sparse, but not enough to be a "death sentence" for either

If anything, if we have Nintendo launching with PS360 level hardware and actively competing against them for two years and sharing mutiplats. That is just going to make it feel like PS4 and 720 are part of a different generation even moreso.

Log4Girlz

That's one year from now versus two years. I'll still be playing plenty of PS3 games next year. 2014 it may get sparse, but not enough to be a "death sentence" for either

If anything, if we have Nintendo launching with PS360 level hardware and actively competing against them for two years and sharing mutiplats. That is just going to make it feel like PS4 and 720 are part of a different generation even moreso.

Well shit why not wait until 2019? Imagine the tech they can throw into their machines! No need to worry about Nintendo, its a totally different product selling to a different demographic altogether. A few more years to themselves can't possibly hurt MS or Sony :/

Well shit why not wait until 2019? Imagine the tech they can throw into their machines! No need to worry about Nintendo, its a totally different product selling to a different demographic altogether. A few more years to themselves can't possibly hurt MS or Sony :/

Following strict deadlines of trying to launch at the same time as your competitors is one of the most illogical aspects of gaming. Who cares if Nintendo sells 10 million or 20 million before they even launch? If the product Sony or MS come out is differentiated and compelling enough, it will sell and what they sell up until they discontinue the product is what matters.

Log4Girlz

Following strict deadlines of trying to launch at the same time as your competitors is one of the most illogical aspects of gaming. Who cares if Nintendo sells 10 million or 20 million before they even launch? If the product Sony or MS come out is differentiated and compelling enough, it will sell and what they sell up until they discontinue the product is what matters.

That's some sound logic. Who cares what your competition is doing in a market, it shouldn't affect you in the least :/ By that logic, then if MS announces that their system is launching in 2013, then Sony should have no problem launching a year later in 2014. I mean, it gives the PS3 the same lifespan as the Xbox 360 considering it had first mover status.

i-Lo

I agree with this, actually. They can make a much more powerful machine using mainly off the shelf parts. But that doesn't seem to be what people want, people seem to want them to make the most cutting edge possible machine and cram the equivalent of a cutting edge PC into a $400 box.

People want power but don't care how the companies get there. It's the Samaritan result they are after and beyond; and whatever hardware can provide that is king. Tim Sweeney said that the GPU is required to have 2.5TFlops to produce Samaritan at 1080p@30fps. A 7870 pitcairn has exactly that much to offer. I do expect Epic's UE4 to do things like Samaritan demo much more efficiently for next gen.

So far, I have been hearing that putting a pitcairn is quite possible and truth be told as PS4 is stated to come out by the end of next year it can actually have a mid-low range R8-series with better performance per watt. It makes way more sense than what they have right now. Of course, they can afford to go a tad low range on the GPU because the APU will also pitch in.

At the end of the day's let's not forget that the rumour is based on dev kits build on off the shelf parts to simulate the configuration type but not necessarily the components themselves.

That's some sound logic. Who cares what your competition is doing in a market, it shouldn't affect you in the least :/ By that logic, then if MS announces that their system is launching in 2013, then Sony should have no problem launching a year later in 2014. I mean, it gives the PS3 the same lifespan as the Xbox 360 considering it had first mover status.
The first mover has never won a "generation", you do realise? It has always been the most compelling product.

So based on what you're arguing I could say that if the Wii had come out in 2007 instead of 2006, it would not have been successful?

Well, if I may interpretate your entire post as irony and if giving the Wii U, which is rumoured to be on par with current gen consoles, a 2 years head start is such a threat, why not simply pimp up the PS3 or X360 with another slim version or another peripheral?
Kinect gave a great boost to the x360 sales. If the key of succes lies within launching last-gen hardware with new peripherals, why even bother releasing a next-gen console at all?

Log4Girlz

The first mover has never won a "generation", you do realise? It has always been the most compelling product.

So based on what you're arguing I could say that if the Wii had come out in 2007 instead of 2006, it would not have been successful?

Its chances for success would have been greatly diminished as both MS and Sony would have had a full year to sell their products. These companies do NOT sell their products in a vacuum. They compete with one another. The "appeal" of their products is strongly affected by the product they offer on their machines, which can be strongly affected by launch date. Sony launching last and giving their competition a year head start will mean they will lose a whole development cycle of games which will appear exclusively on their competitors machines and they will lose mindshare with their audience. It can be argued it happened to a degree with PS3. The PS1 and PS2 were monsters and came out before their main competitors. This generation wasn't supposed to start until Sony said so, well look at what their arrogance has resulted in.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I just watched a YouTube video to get the gist of what an APU is, and if the PS4 has a GPU, a CPU and a APU in addition, how would it be to code for these three separate processing units?

z0m3le

Banned
M°°nblade;36813348 said:
Well, if I may interpretate your entire post as irony and if giving the Wii U, which is rumoured to be on par with current gen consoles, a 2 years head start is such a threat, why not simply pimp up the PS3 or X360 with another slim version or another peripheral?
Kinect gave a great boost to the x360 sales. If the key of succes lies within launching last-gen hardware with new peripherals, why even bother releasing a next-gen console at all?

Your logic has a fallacy in that both ps4 and Wii u are rumored to be on par with current generation, as I have already linked you. Sony is actually in danger financially this time around, so putting a $350 gpu in their box is going to be out of the question, even if they can get that gpu down to 1/3 that price

Its chances for success would have been greatly diminished as both MS and Sony would have had a full year to sell their products. These companies do NOT sell their products in a vacuum. They compete with one another. The "appeal" of their products is strongly affected by the product they offer on their machines, which can be strongly affected by launch date. Sony launching last and giving their competition a year head start will mean they will lose a whole development cycle of games which will appear exclusively on their competitors machines and they will lose mindshare with their audience. It can be argued it happened to a degree with PS3. The PS1 and PS2 were monsters and came out before their main competitors. This generation wasn't supposed to start until Sony said so, well look at what their arrogance has resulted in.

Sony made mistakes, but the release date wasn't one of them. If anything a later release date would've helped them, they could've launched cheaper as Blu Ray diode prices and Cell would've dropped in price. Of course their big mistake was and will always be developing a $600 console. Had they launched at $400, regardless of when they came out, this generation would have been a different ball game.

I'm not arguing systems exist in a vacuum, but I am arguing that you can't compel both developers and consumers after some imaginary one year console release window is up. It all depends on what you're offering though. Offering essentially the same thing that came out a year before will hurt - but MS and Sony with a 2014 release window would both have a substantial leap over current gen technology and the majority of third party would follow them

see5harp

I just watched a YouTube video to get the gist of what an APU is, and if the PS4 has a GPU, a CPU and a APU in addition, how would it be to code for these three separate processing units?

Not sure about the programming aspects, but i-Lo posted a video where he was using the APU in combination with a dedicated graphics card and the performance for Dirt 3 at 1080p was pretty damn impressive. I'd imagine software written specifically for that setup with an even better dedicated video card would look pretty impressive next gen.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Not sure about the programming aspects, but i-Lo posted a video where he was using the APU in combination with a dedicated graphics card and the performance for Dirt 3 at 1080p was pretty damn impressive. I'd imagine software written specifically for that setup with an even better dedicated video card would look pretty impressive next gen.

Yeah, I'd imagine software coded for a CPU+GPU+APU setup would be very impressive, but I was thinking about whether it would be hard to write code for a setup like that, in terms of what would the GPU be doing, what would the CPU be doing, and what would be offloaded to the APU while the other two are doing their thing. Wouldn't it be somewhat similar to what some of Sony's first-party devs do when offloading GPU tasks to the CELL SPUs? And considering how most third party developers don't bother with this due to the difficulty, would it be any easier on the PS4?

Log4Girlz

Sony made mistakes, but the release date wasn't one of them. If anything a later release date would've helped them, they could've launched cheaper as Blu Ray diode prices and Cell would've dropped in price. Of course their big mistake was and will always be developing a $600 console. Had they launched at $400, regardless of when they came out, this generation would have been a different ball game.

I'm not arguing systems exist in a vacuum, but I am arguing that you can't compel both developers and consumers after some imaginary one year console release window is up. It all depends on what you're offering though. Offering essentially the same thing that came out a year before will hurt - but MS and Sony with a 2014 release window would both have a substantial leap over current gen technology and the majority of third party would follow them

The release date sure as hell was one of them. If they went for a DVD rom drive and not bothered with Blu-ray and launched day and date with the Xbox 360, this generation would have been a different ball game. This industry is a time sensitive one, you must factor in when your competitors are releasing similar product. You are all creating games, you cannot afford to miss development cycles and given whole generations of software to the competition.

z0m3le

Banned

The consoles are rumored to release in 2013 but I agree with your statement, the consoles won't be the graphical boxes people expect them to be if they release in 2013. Where you are wrong is that third parties will sell to the biggest market, that would mean wii u if given a 2 year head start, most games will be multiplatform for all 3 consoles though

The consoles are rumored to release in 2013 but I agree with your statement, the consoles won't be the graphical boxes people expect them to be if they release in 2013. Where you are wrong is that third parties will sell to the biggest market, that would mean wii u if given a 2 year head start, most games will be multiplatform for all 3 consoles though
Perhaps, but that is dependant on whether Wii U is PS360 level, and whether it is actually a success or not.

theBishop

Banned

You make good points, but I wouldn't discount Microsoft's online strength. I think Live is a big reason Sony cant consistently outsell 360 despite arguably stronger exclusive software. I dont think brand loyalty is especially strong for either company, so next Gen could be different. But right now in the US Microsoft has a positive feedback loop through its online community.

see5harp

Yeah, I'd imagine software coded for a CPU+GPU+APU setup would be very impressive, but I was thinking about whether it would be hard to write code for a setup like that, in terms of what would the GPU be doing, what would the CPU be doing, and what would be offloaded to the APU while the other two are doing their thing. Wouldn't it be somewhat similar to what some of Sony's first-party devs do when offloading GPU tasks to the CELL SPUs? And considering how most third party developers don't bother with this due to the difficulty, would it be any easier on the PS4?

I was just thinking that if they went this route, at least their CPU/APU and GPU would be manufacturered by the same company and that you can already chain up said parts today and get decent performance right out of the box. I'd still think you'd want something that more closely resembles the hardware setup of an average PC, but this would still be closer to a PC than anything Sony has ever released.

z0m3le

Banned
Perhaps, but that is dependant on whether Wii U is PS360 level, and whether it is actually a success or not.

Wii U already is clearly superior to ps360, also it will definitely grow a large userbase in 2 years if no competition exists. Quickly looking at known specs and we have an out of order executing CPU with 3 cores multithreaded, over 1gb ram and 32mb embedded ram on the gpu. Modern sharers for much better lighting and tessellation as well... I thought the bird demo was pretty impressive since it was rendered twice, on early underclocked devkits

AndyD

aka andydumi
Wii U already is clearly superior to ps360, also it will definitely grow a large userbase in 2 years if no competition exists. Quickly looking at known specs and we have an out of order executing CPU with 3 cores multithreaded, over 1gb ram and 32mb embedded ram on the gpu. Modern sharers for much better lighting and tessellation as well... I thought the bird demo was pretty impressive since it was rendered twice, on early underclocked devkits

Developer feedback is mixed though. And a lot of stuff remains to be seen in terms of infrastructure and features. A tablet controller may not be enough without a solid online system and other features which are standard in expectations nowadays.

But I agree that even on a slightly less powerful system they would get an unsurmountable head start with 2 years. 1 year not so much.

Yes, but your plan has to many ifs to be of any practical use. Sony can't take those risks now.

Sirolf

Your logic has a fallacy in that both ps4 and Wii u are rumored to be on par with current generation, as I have already linked you.
Do you realize the non-sense of this ?
Wii U on par/moderately superior to the current systems = okay
But PS4 = PS3 in term of power ?
So for you ,PS4 is a super slim PS3 ?

Effect

Mixed developer feedback can be the result of different developers having different development kits. Also the difference between trying to do a straight port with no changes compared to another group adjusting their game to run on the Wii U's hardware. Then there is the difference between not bothering with creating or altering any new assest compared with doing so. The difference between those working with art and those actually working on programming of games. Then some developers being more talented then others and getting more help from Nintendo in understanding the hardware and how it processes information, etc.

Also comments from developers willing to attach their name and the name of the company they work for on their comments should be the only ones paid attention. Random rumors from unknown source should be taken with a grain of salt or just completely ignored.

z0m3le

Banned
Do you realize the non-sense of this ?
Wii U on par/moderately superior to the current systems = okay
But PS4 = PS3 in term of power ?
So for you ,PS4 is a super slim PS3 ?

I didn't say it, it came from fudzilla resecption is mixed on ps4's power, one developer said it was on par, which is all we have really heard about for wii u except for named developers saying its more power, still any system that isn't 10x more powerful could be considered on par with current gen

I didn't say it, it came from fudzilla resecption is mixed on ps4's power, one developer said it was on par, which is all we have really heard about for wii u except for named developers saying its more power, still any system that isn't 10x more powerful could be considered on par with current gen

10x more powerful on what? Graphics?

z0m3le

Banned
Mixed developer feedback can be the result of different developers having different development kits. Also the difference between trying to do a straight port with no changes compared to another group adjusting their game to run on the Wii U's hardware. Then there is the difference between not bothering with creating or altering any new assest compared with doing so. The difference between those working with art and those actually working on programming of games. Then some developers being more talented then others and getting more help from Nintendo in understanding the hardware and how it processes information, etc.

Also comments from developers willing to attach their name and the name of the company they work for on their comments should be the only ones paid attention. Random rumors from unknown source should be taken with a grain of salt or just completely ignored.

I agree with this, but named developers also have to have used the box directly and work on the technical side of things, me bringing up the on par for ps4 is much more about showing how that statement is too vague to draw conclusions from.

theBishop

Banned

how can you say it has no competition when the only games we know about are also on PS3/360. It's clear what WiiU is competing with.

z0m3le

Banned
10x more powerful on what? Graphics?

Im receding to the general idea that ps360 were 10x their previous gen machines, its all basically no.e sense, but I do tie troops to gpu performance, of course only for ati cards, nvidia cards are vastly different and something like epics 2.5tflop statement would mean closer to 4tflops for amd

how can you say it has no competition when the only games we know about are also on PS3/360. It's clear what WiiU is competing with.

It's competing with the most advanced console released to date, that is all a new system really is, even if we want to call it the dreamcast level jump, well dc would of taken over the market had it of had 2 full years before ps2 came out, well as long as piracy didn't kill it first

elty

I wonder if quad core Cortex A15 would work for PS4. I think A15 is ~40% faster clock for clock than A9. It can also clock at like 2.5Ghz I think? Makes PS4 even more compatible with Vita with about double CPU power. They can even go with a 4+1 design that uses the 5th core (same or lower power one) for system function. They can still pair that with the more powerful desktop like GPU.

I guess that would be underpowered for a console though.

WrikaWrek

Banned
IMO, Wii U is gonna be a tough sell as things stand.

It basically seems like it threw the Motion control idea right out of the window, games wise it will be competing directly with 360 and PS3, with probably fewer 3rd party content that visually doesn't justify the leap.

I don't know if that touchscreen controller is gonna turns people's head around like the Wiimote did.

Top Bottom