• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Splatoon Re-Review is up

Their initial review didnt convince me any which way but all those player impressions sure did. Getting this on Black Friday for sure.

Escalario

Banned
C'mon OP, tell us what was the original score. Not all of us remember those things :V

EDIT: So the original score was 7.9 (thanks to people that posted the score below).

Majestad

Banned
Too low. The game is a 9.0 at the bare minimum. From a mechanics perspective alone, Splatoon is brillant with its smooth ass controls and satisfying shooting.

Lothars

Meh is the only response I can think of for this game. It's good that they are releasing more content for the game but the trickle of content they pulled with this game soured me on it.

I might give it another chance eventually but there's other games I'd rather play.

Astral Dog

Too low. The game is a 9.0 at the bare minimum. From a mechanics perspective alone, Splatoon is brillant with its smooth ass controls and satisfying shooting.

it started slow though, with few maps and weapons, its not until today that the game will be fully complete in time for the holidays

7.9 was a weird score to give it due to the lack of content at launch when it got a new map and a new mode like 2 days later. Doesn't make a big difference in the long run, but yeah.
Meh is the only response I can think of for this game. It's good that they are releasing more content for the game but the trickle of content they pulled with this game soured me on it.

I might give it another chance eventually but there's other games I'd rather play.
There was like a new map added every week. Kept me entertained for several weeks without getting bored.

Agreed... it shouldn't be less than a 9. If we're going by decimals, Splatoon lands around a 9.4.

Astral Dog

Why don't they just use a normal .5 scale? What is the deal with this 7.9/8.6 nonsense? It should be 8.0 --> 8.5.

its weird, i swear they were like this before, then changed to a .5 scale because it was too confusing/messy, then changed again out of nowhere.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Months of post launch support, all FREE = .7

I should have paid more attention to advanced math in College because that is some high level shit right there.

Why don't they just use a normal .5 scale? What is the deal with this 7.9/8.6 nonsense? It should be 8.0 --> 8.5.

Games on IGN rarely get below a 6, and even a 7 generally indicates crap.

Because nearly everything falls near the top end of the scale, IGN needs the extra granularity.

Hindl

At least they are looking back and re-reviewing it on the content it has now. I was listening somewhere (I think it was Dave Lang on the Bombcast), and he was talking about how he wished there were reviews that talk about the current mood and feeling on a game as its aged, as opposed to when it came out. Would be a lot more helpful

JCX

I agree with 8.6. It's definitely not a 9. The game gets old fast. I can only play it every so often without getting bored.

That's fair, but I play this game pretty much every day. Perfect jump in and relax after work game. I only get burned out during Splatfests. Those need to be made more exciting/worthwhile.

Rodin

I'd say the gameplay deserves a perfect 10, but there are some problems with the game so i think 8.6 is a fair score. Hopefully metacritic will update as well, that 7.9 was always... off.

There was like a new map added every week. Kept me entertained for several weeks without getting bored.

Did they ever up the amount of maps in a rotation to 3? Because keeping it at 2 is what really killed the game for me. Became way too repetitive after like 20 minutes when I knew I'd be playing it for much longer if they had just put more in the rotation.

They certainly have more than enough maps to put 3 or even 4 in the rotation at the time.

That's fair, but I play this game pretty much every day. Perfect jump in and relax after work game. I only get burned out during Splatfests. Those need to be made more exciting/worthwhile.

Splatfests just need to be reworked completely. I don't know whose bright idea it is to force everyone into one mode and willingly lock everyone out of most multiplayer options during the weekend, the time that people have the most to play. Just pure nonsense.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
We need a Rainmaker Splat Fest.

Did they ever up the amount of maps in a rotation to 3? Because keeping it at 2 is what really killed the game for me. Became way too repetitive after like 20 minutes when I knew I'd be playing it for much longer if they had just put more in the rotation.

They certainly have more than enough maps to put 3 or even 4 in the rotation at the time.
Splatfest ups the rotation and with friends you can play any map you want
The maps available for turf war and ranked battles are different too.

What in the fuck. This game came out like half a year ago. This is fucked.

It makes sense. If you buy the game now you're getting a significantly different package than if you bought the game at launch. Reviews should still be relevant to buyers late to the party.

Lothars

I'd say the gameplay deserves a perfect 10, but there are some problems with the game so i think 8.6 is a fair score. Hopefully metacritic will update as well, that 7.9 was always... off.
I think the 7.9 was a fair score if not a bit high for the amount of content when the game released. I mean good on nintendo for supporting the game but the game seriously lacked content at launch. I think rereviewing a game months after launch is a good thing.

KingBroly

Banned

Splatfests just need to be reworked completely. I don't know whose bright idea it is to force everyone into one mode and willingly lock everyone out of most multiplayer options during the weekend, the time that people have the most to play. Just pure nonsense.

No, it's only 3 maps for Splatfests, which suck.

scitek

its weird, i swear they were like this before, then changed to a .5 scale because it was too confusing/messy, then changed again out of nowhere.

You'll get much more contentious discussion over a .1 scale than a .5 scale. That means more clicks.

mindsale

I don't believe in re-reviews. Timeframes are completely arbitrary. Some games improve, but most don't, even with patches and balance issues. And the community simply diminishes as more time passes.

Re-review something like Evolve.

1.2. There is no community. Had to play with bots, 1 cheater, and 1 person disconnected.

sonto340

so provide enough content and even superman 64 becomes an 11?
Splatoon is not Superman 64 dude it was a good game, but with the problem of being light on content at release. Read any review. Most of them say basically that.

Of course if you solve the main problem people have with a game it will score better.

Splatfest ups the rotation and with friends you can play any map you want
The maps available for turf war and ranked battles are different too.

That's the problem, though, every option has a nonsense tradeoff.

Splatfest removes your ability pick your team.
You have to constantly switch between Turf and Ranked if you want a bigger variety.
Squid Squads are limited to Ranked, so you're stuck with Ranked if you want to pick your teams.
You can't open up Private matches for regular matchmaking.

There isn't a single option that lets you team up with a friend and gives you a higher map rotation than 2 maps at a time. Every option restricts you in some form or fashion. That's what really killed Splatoon for me.

Top Bottom