• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Splatoon Re-Review is up

Protome

Re-reviews are garbage. You rate the game how it was released, not what they have added after.

I'll never understand this nonsensical view.
Reviews exist to give people guidance when looking to purchase things, meaning if they aren't up to date they are irrelevant and somewhat useless beyond well written ones continuing to be interesting reads.

Was a 9 to me at launch and Ive grown to love the game even more. Possibly GOTY.

One of the most fun, unique and freshest (yes pun intended) games Ive ever played.

mhayes86

I can't access the link from work. Who did the re-review? I could have sworn I remember Jose Otero answering a question during Nintendo Voice Chat before Splatoon's release about re-reviewing the game due to the trickled content. I think he answered along the lines of reviewing a game as it is and that he doesn't see why they should do a re-review.

Might have been my imagination.

I agree with rereviewing the game in this case simply because all the added content was free. Splatoon has so much more content right now and players were not nickeled and dimed for it. That earns them a rereview for adding to what the original price of entry offers

I don't understand re-reviews. I barely give a shit what professional reviewers say on day one. A year later? It's just pointless. Who looks at reviews of a game a year out? Not saying that as an elitist thing, but what I mean is 1 year after a game is out aren't you mostly operating under user impressions? The people still playing/streaming/talking about the game, that know 10 times more about it than some random individual that was told he had to re-review it for his job?

Reviews have a shelf life in my opinion.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I can't access the link from work. Who did the re-review? I could have sworn I remember Jose Otero answering a question during Nintendo Voice Chat before Splatoon's release about re-reviewing the game due to the trickled content. I think he answered along the lines of reviewing a game as it is and that he doesn't see why they should do a re-review.

Might have been my imagination.
I'm pretty sure he said along the lines of doing re-reviews if updates during the life of the game fix issues that were brought up in the original review when substantial enough.

This is why magazine-style "definitive reviews" are dumb and outdated. Don't "re-review" something, just do a write up on how much different the game is now/your impressions of the new content and leave it at that. If the product is constantly changing then the format of its evaluation shouldn't be static and "definitive", especially on the day/week the damn game comes out.

CamHostage

You'll get much more contentious discussion over a .1 scale than a .5 scale. That means more clicks.

Anything below an 8 is just picking nits as far as points of scores, but in the higher rankings, a little more granularity and thought put into the decimal score is appreciated IMO. There's a pretty big space between a 9.5 and a 10 and miles between an 8 and a 9, effort should be put into determining where a game fits on that scale (if that's your review scale.) It's still a number pulled out of somebody's ass that could be argued about until the end of time, but it means something to the reviewer and thus it means something to the content they post.

Too low. The game is a 9.0 at the bare minimum. From a mechanics perspective alone, Splatoon is brillant with its smooth ass controls and satisfying shooting.

The game itself is amazing, it's the stupid map rotation and forced game modes in ranked that ruin it for me. Not sure if IGN is touching on this.

Malus

The game itself is amazing, it's the stupid map rotation and forced game modes in ranked that ruin it for me. Not sure if IGN is touching on this.

I still like the rotations. They keep things fresh (hahahahoohee).

Except when it puts Port Mackerel on Splat Zones AGAIN :mad:

Reviews should evolve into something like:

1st one) Initial impression post-launch
2nd one) After some time has been spent with the game/after completion
3rd one) If post-launch content is available and significant, then new impressions later

Ansatz

They need to implement some sort of a system in the sequel that balances each team depending on what weapons are present. I mean putting both snipers as well as the other long ranged rifles in the same team on arowana mall against a team of low-mid ranged weapons is ridiculous. When you're playing on the highest level in ranked it's almost impossible for the other team to win, loosing for this reason feels unfair.

I get they're going for total unpredictability, that by having completely random weapon loadouts no game plays out the same way. However it feels unfair when something like the above example occurs.

Most well balanced and fun map/mode combination in the game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So where is the Driveclub one, and MCC (this should have been re-reviewed every month after the initial), etc etc?

VanWinkle

Nice. I'd love to play this game and I would have bought it day one, but Nintendo's stupid idiotic decision to choose what mode we should play and dripfeed two maps at a time for us to play in a session ruined it for me. I can't believe they haven't changed that. It truly make me angry because the game looks fun.

Saty

I don't understand re-reviews. I barely give a shit what professional reviewers say on day one. A year later? It's just pointless. Who looks at reviews of a game a year out? Not saying that as an elitist thing, but what I mean is 1 year after a game is out aren't you mostly operating under user impressions? The people still playing/streaming/talking about the game, that know 10 times more about it than some random individual that was told he had to re-review it for his job?

Reviews have a shelf life in my opinion.
Because it's stupid to have reviews that are only accurate for the first few months the game is out? If reviews are supposed to help purchase decisions then how does it make to keep reviews that are factually incorrect and doesn't actually provide you relevant information. And that's w\o going into the journalistic aspect of having a review that reflects the current situation.

The very least reviews' texts have to be updated to inform you how the game changed and if the writer believes these changes justify lowering or increasing the score then go for it.

noshten

I guess you could say IGN Re-Rolled

71d1053089abd8d16194c4cb890ff3cc5bdcadb6ee620c5fcef070b72bb25425_1.jpg

Yeah, I can live with the map rotation. I just really like Splat Zones in ranked, the rest not so much.

Still, the new equipment is pretty hype, so I am casually back into the game.

Re-reviews are great because they serve to inform readers who then take that information into account when deciding whether they want to purchase the game. Of course, it should be clearly noted in the review that it has been updated with an explanation/additional content. Simply changing the numerical value is the wrong way to go about it (not saying this is what IGN did since I haven't read the review or compared it to the original), so I would expect clarification.

Meh. They could just write that they are reviewing Splatoon v. 2.1.0 or whatever it's at now. I certainly wouldn't mind a competent reviewer to score each version; that would not include IGN with their asinine .6's and .9 scores.

Reviews shouldn't be about how much content is offered. Think of how incredible Rocket League, Telltale's Walking Dead, and Gone Home are despite being fairly short experiences. Splatoon is in that category too. It's about how fun, engaging, and enjoyable the experience is...not having 8 maps vs 16 maps.

Monocle

Meh. They could just write that they are reviewing Splatoon v. 2.1.0 or whatever it's at now. I certainly wouldn't mind a competent reviewer to score each version; that would not include IGN with their asinine .6's and .9 scores.
I award this post a 7.48. And don't you dare round that up to a 7.5.

phanphare

Banned
Yeah, I can live with the map rotation. I just really like Splat Zones in ranked, the rest not so much.

Still, the new equipment is pretty hype, so I am casually back into the game.

Splat Zones for life! Splat Zones > Rainmaker >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tower Control

as far as the ranked modes go

phanphare

Banned
also for those harping on the 7.9 it's pretty easy to see what they were going for. the game was almost an 8 to them (Jose, I believe) but not quite. so it got a 7.9

VariantX

Reviews shouldn't be about how much content is offered. Think of how incredible Rocket League, Telltale's Walking Dead, and Gone Home are despite being fairly short experiences. Splatoon is in that category too. It's about how fun, engaging, and enjoyable the experience is...not having 8 maps vs 16 maps.

For some people, variety of modes to play, or maps to play on determines how fun that is. You got others that don't care to play on any other maps except nuketown in BlackOps, DM-Deck 16 or facing worlds in UT or DE_Dust in counterstrike. Different stuff floats different peoples boats and that goes for reviewers too.

Meh is the only response I can think of for this game. It's good that they are releasing more content for the game but the trickle of content they pulled with this game soured me on it.

I might give it another chance eventually but there's other games I'd rather play.
Same here, I didn't like that and the 2 map rotation. Killed the game for me pretty fast, good game but some boneheaded Nintendo decisions hurt it.

I keep saying I'm gonna go back but I can't muster the will to:/

ngower

I was so in love with this game then it sorta got set aside once the Taken King come out. Really tempted to go back into it.

flkraven

It makes sense. If you buy the game now you're getting a significantly different package than if you bought the game at launch. Reviews should still be relevant to buyers late to the party.

What is wrong with it? This is a very consumer friendly thing thing to do.

It sets a precedent that is impossible to live up to and inconsistent across the board. How is it possibly fair if they aren't re-reviewing every game. When the Splatoon servers going down in a few should they re-review it to zero?

Top Bottom