• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Splatoon Re-Review is up

Crayolan

IMO, was an 8 at launch, and has been a 9 since the first major update. It now has a ton of content and all the necessary modes I wanted at launch.

Are re-reviews a common thing nowadays?

No. They even say that this is a new thing they're trying below the review.

I wonder how people deal with Call of Duty and the like without getting bored, too. Same maps, same stuff, again and again.

How boring or interesting CoD is has no bearing on how boring or interesting Splatoon is.

VariantX

so provide enough content and even superman 64 becomes an 11?

No, amount of content would have made superman 64 fun because that game's control scheme and mechanics are busted at its core. That's a bit of a unfair comparison there. Halo 5 would probably be a better comparison imho

maxcriden

Still too low for the freshest game of the gen.

For real. I don't adore the game but that's more about my lack of interest in online MP. What I played I enjoyed immensely, especially the SP, and plenty worthy of an 8.5 at least. So for a fan of the genre it looks like a 9+.

I don't like this re-review concept (especially when they basically raised it a half a point after a ton more content and improvements). But I guess if they are doing re-reviews, they should do the same for Mario Maker, as I'm sure there will more updates for it.

Azure J

Even if I definitely could be seen as biased with how absorbed I've been in this game, at launch, I could understand the 7.9 with how things were handled. The core wasn't a bad game at all but it was definitely something that wanted a lot more content than it had at launch.

Now though? Easy low to mid 9. Game too gud. GOTY that will win no GOTY awards, free.

Jawmuncher

Wonder what the next game to get re-reviewed is.
Rainbow Six Siege has a year of free content as does Halo 5.
Guess they count for it.

Timeaisis

Splatoon is the only game this generation I'd give a perfect 10 purely from a moment-to-moment gameplay perspective. Take that however you want.

Cleve

The original score was fair. They launched it with the absolute bare minimum of content, and a review at launch should cover what is available, not what is promised to come.

stuminus3

I guess Nintendo's unusual content strategy is working out for them? I mean, I know I'm still playing and talking about Splatoon. Works for their evergreen titles I guess.

KooopaKid

Banned
Only EDGE got it right, right at the start. 9.

820447034be7d9fef61917f8df4594f4f4421b06.png__1136x1502_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

Kriken

I think Driveclub deserves this treatment more than Splatoon but whatever.

Some sites did re-review Driveclub, there were a few threads as a result that asked if other sites should follow suit. I'm in the same camp now as I was then, I think re-reviews are fine, but I won't get up in arms saying that a game should or should not need to be re-reviewed

StAidan

I'm not sure I've ever spent more time on a game than I have with Splatoon, and I've played a LOT of games. As far as I'm concerned, 8.6 is still too low :)

J@hranimo

Banned
Wait...so I've been playing a 8.6 rated game? Selling this + my Wii U and I'm buying a XB1.

lmao idgaf. This game has been delivering with free content the entire 6 months its been out. Best $60 spent in my gaming lifetime.

Syf

Banned
Wait...so I've been playing a 8.6 rated game? Selling this + my Wii U and I'm buying a XB1.

lmao idgaf. This game has been delivering with free content the entire 6 months its been out. Best $60 spent in my gaming lifetime.
I don't get this sarcasm. 8.6 is a good score.

Kodaman

Way too low, nice try IGN tho

I'm not sure I've ever spent more time on a game than I have with Splatoon, and I've played a LOT of games. As far as I'm concerned, 8.6 is still too low :)

Kind of my case.. It's not there yet, but it's quickly become my most played game.. of all time.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Among my top 3 of the year. Absolutely justifies buying a Wii U.

phanphare

Banned
Even if I definitely could be seen as biased with how absorbed I've been in this game, at launch, I could understand the 7.9 with how things were handled. The core wasn't a bad game at all but it was definitely something that wanted a lot more content than it had at launch.

Now though? Easy low to mid 9. Game too gud. GOTY that will win no GOTY awards, free.

gonna go ahead and cosign this

it's probably the GotG if we're being honest

Nico_D

Game of the Year for me by large margin. I've sunk about 700 hrs into Splatoon and I am not yet bored. No other game has even taken me like this and I've played decades.

jariw

Only EDGE got it right, right at the start. 9.

But EDGE was the only major publication that waited with the review, IIRC?

This is the new goalposts, publishers are you listening? It's okay not to released a finished game, it'll get a 2nd chance laterlater.

Splatoon unlocked content available in the original game for quite a long time. All those unlocks were finished from day one.

Malus

I really didn't care about the reviews for this game. They wanted to judge it based on release content, even though we knew going in that it'd be supported by free dlc for months. The first update with a new mode came after 1 weekend lol.

I get that they can't review what's not there, but that just shows the limitations of reviews more than anything. I believe some suggested that Splatoon wasn't worth full price because of content which is crazy looking back at it now. It's my most played game ever.

VariantX

Re-reviews are garbage. You rate the game how it was released, not what they have added after.

That old review isn't any good to anyone buying the game today because of its ongoing support. It was relevant then on day 1. If I bought splatoon today, I can't play the version of the game that had limited content in the base package, only the current version.

Schryver

I'm all for re-reviews, but they should be added to the beginning or end of the original review/score. And yes, Driveclub deserves this. Especially now with the multiplayer modes all there finally.

Lothars

So by that rationale, FF14 should only be rated based on its state on day one, not by what it is today? That makes zero sense.
Technically was rereleased as an FF14:a realm reborn, so it could be classified as a new release.

I don't think there's anything wrong with them rereviewing any game but I do feel that Splatoon was higher rated than it should have been but with the new content it's fair to rerreview it.

I'm all for re-reviews, but they should be added to the beginning or end of the original review/score. And yes, Driveclub deserves this. Especially now with the multiplayer modes all there finally.
Agreed, The original score should always be visible to give a basis of what it was originally reviewed at.

Top Bottom