• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The naked eye cannot perceive the difference between 1080 and 720 before 50in

Status
Not open for further replies.
So tired of this crap from both sides.

I just don't care anymore, and I wish many would move on. The resolution of my DS games and old consoles don't bother me.

If the game is good to great, or you enjoy it, play it.

I wish gaf would become more about enjoying games than trashing everything at a moments notice.

There are so many variables in the way a game looks or performs...let alone plays.,.that no set criteria equals a good game or experience. I've played sub HD games that destroy 1080p (or higher on my PC) games in fun/enjoyment.

Titanfall for example. I enjoyed it on PC...but had more fun on the X1 simply because a group I play with on Live was playing it. The drop in image quality and tearing of the Beta didn't lower the fun.

Edit* In other words I don't care what IGN says. I can see the difference (better than 20/20 vision), but couldn't care less.
It's a shame that every thread on GAF is about graphics. Oh wait.

If you don't like these threads, avoid them.

I'm amazed at the general incompetence of these "journalists." Can I get a job supporting bullshit that "someone told me?"

Skelter

Banned
Polygon truly is a metaphorical turd attracting all the bullshit flies.

Jim Lahey is that you?

tumblr_m5uwjzk9bN1qzx0x7o1_500.png

So Youtube commenters tend to not be the smartest people around.

But read the comments to this video. Even a large percentage of the Youtube masses see through their bullshit, with not a lot of people defending the XBO.

That's a real eye-opener as to how much trouble Microsoft are in with core gamers.

I'm pretty sure most people on NeoGAF must sit within 3-4 feet of their 50" inch TV or have better than 20/20 version to tell such a difference.

I can barely tell a difference in a normal sized living room

Obviously if I'm on a computer monitor and 2 feet from the screen it definitely makes a big difference.

Personally I'd rather have smooth 60 FPS for games.

You must be blind then. I sit 8 feet away from my 55 inch and even when I had a 42 inch, with my 16/20 vision, differences in resolution and framerate were clear as crystal. While I'm not implying you're lying or what have you, but this response is so annoying because for everyone else in these topics, as well as most people in general, it's very easy to tell.

I ran some tests with 720p and 1080p, switching resolutions between games in front of non gamer folks I knew, and they could always pick out the one that looked better. Sure they didn't know why in most cases(don't have an eye for jaggies or such), but they were unanimous.

Zabant

Hi, we are your customers, not the fucking enemy.

One of these days, someone important within the games media circle will speak up and finally say what needs to be said about this kind of thing..

It will probably ostracise them from their peers and cut off potential career paths in the future, but this 'circle the wagons' mentality around clear misinformation has to be called out once and for all.

Admit that you were wrong and move on. Having all the usual suspects (Gies, Kuchera) pop up and defend your mistake and then having people like McElroy continue to anger the fans even further is probably the worst thing about the games press at the moment.

Nobody has to defend what they say, because their peers will crawl out the woodwork to defend them and marginalise us as "nerds" or "crazies"

We're the reason your job title even exists, never forget that.

Lmfao, this is why I don't fuck with IGN. My iMac has a native 1080p 21-inch display. If I change the resolution to 720p OSX looks like absolute shit. If you can't tell the difference, you are either blind as a bat or full of shit IMO.

Ulumsk

It's like they're doing it on purpose. They can't honestly believe the bullshit that is pouring out of their maws, can they?

Portugeezer

Gold Member
So I watched it thinking they were going to be be all joking around... but they looked and sounded... serious?

Gahmz jernalism

Domdev

Banned
This is almost the most embarrassing part. If you have the ambition to call yourself a journalist, get your facts straight. Gaming "journalists" have shown instances of incredible laziness during the last months, especially on technology-related articles/opinions.

How can you just not care if caring about all things related to gaming is your freakin' profession.

Because they aren't journalists? The majority of games "journalists" can more accurately be labeled as games enthusiasts.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I don't know any of these people, but just looking at the tweets the guy who got it wrong originally seems like an alright guy who just made a mistake, and that other McElroy guy seems like a total dickhead.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Watched it again and I guess I can see why someone would think he was sure but it's pretty clear he wasn't at this point. He admitted it on twitter. I still think the outrage is pretty ridiculous for something he said on a podcast and not on an article.

Anti-IGN GAF League at work. Nevermind that the majority of that podcast was clearly finger wagging at MS for having a severe PR issue that they are unwilling to address (and shitting on the Kinect). Nope the real takeaway is some throwaway comment at the end of the videocast about one of the most misunderstood things in gaming.

darkwing

I don't understand, if resolutions doesn't matter to Ryan and he can't notice the difference then the Xbox 360 version of Titanfall is going to look the same to him so why did he insist everyone has to get it on the Xbox One?

Maybe 720p vs 792p is a bigger difference than 720p vs 1080p?

Apathy

If you can stomach it, listen to this weeks Rebel FM, and hear him bitch about how no one can notice resolution when talking about Thief

Rolf NB

In any reasonably operating industry, with a business model etc, consistently not serving your customer will end your business operations in very short order.

IGN is no such business. Audience satisfaction has not the slightest influence on the cash flow.
This corpse of a company will keep on walking for as long as enough publishers find them useful.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I pretty much skimmed over the thread, but I guess he totally ignored the variable of viewing distance? Because even on consoles some people with "battle stations" have all of their platforms including PC with monitors just a couple of feet away from their faces. And at that distance you can certainly tell the difference.
The viewing distance thing is the question I pose in the OP. Without it the statement is completely without any value and is only there to muddy the waters of the current crop of articles that are making the rounds which is what the segment is devoted to.

If he had exaggerated the what I assume is the average viewing distance is I would only have rolled my eyes, but by omitting this completely it's misinformation in my mind. This combined with the authoritative tone and being unchallenged resulted in the thread.

GeoramA

But read the comments to this video. Even a large percentage of the Youtube masses see through their bullshit, with not a lot of people defending the XBO.

That's a real eye-opener as to how much trouble Microsoft are in with the core gamers.
Because of social media.

Someone needs to inform MS and their loyalists in the media that it exists.

Man, I mean its normal that people have preferences, but journalists really should try to stay neutral.
Whats going on here is pretty much pure fanboyism by IGN.

Qassim

No we're not. We're products and indirectly customers to be sold to publishers. Once you realize that it makes more sense.

We don't pay their bills, so they don't give a rats about us. Pretty simple really. Follow the money.

The people paying their bills will stop paying if they no longer have the audience that bill payer is after.

scitek

That's a real eye-opener as to how much trouble Microsoft are in with core gamers.

They know it's bullshit because you can even see the difference in a YouTube video.

jelly

I imagine Xbox Live Accounts/Achievements are the comfort blanket quite a few so called journalists and some gamers can't let go.

No matter how disappointing some aspects of Xbox One are, they refuse to see it because of that meaningless comfort blanket.

People are free to enjoy what they like but I get the feeling something so empty is the reason many cling to Xbox so strongly.

Foffy

Banned
It's like they're doing it on purpose. They can't honestly believe the bullshit that is pouring out of their maws, can they?

Confirmation bias is a wonderful thing. I really do think many of these people are sincere when they speak lies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
One of these days, someone important within the games media circle will speak up and finally say what needs to be said about this kind of thing..

It will probably ostracise them from their peers and cut off potential career paths in the future, but this 'circle the wagons' mentality around clear misinformation has to be called out once and for all.

Admit that you were wrong and move on. Having all the usual suspects (Gies, Kuchera) pop up and defend your mistake and then having people like McElroy continue to anger the fans even further is probably the worst thing about the games press at the moment.

Nobody has to defend what they say, because their peers will crawl out the woodwork to defend them and marginalise us as "nerds" or "crazies"

We're the reason your job title even exists, never forget that.

"journalist" #1: 2+2=5
Gaf: No, you're wrong. Hilariously so, I may add.
"journalist" #2: Hell yeah bro #1. Gaf is so critical of everything.
"journalist" #1: Thanks bro.

They've been reading too much of TimDog's tweets.
TimDog (of all people) called them out. When even he is not buying it, you know you're wrong.
OtQ8B5v.png

I wish I had a job where I could mislead people while exhibiting all the finesse and true writing skill of a monkey bashing his cracked skull against a typewriter without getting shitcanned or even anything but defended by my peers

fucking lolz what a joke

and you know what, I don't even dislike this dude. I just feel shitty because to say something like that implies that you know fuck all about the technology you're paid to know about. And as a hobbyist who doesn't get paid to know any of this shit that bothers me just a bit that people can get away with being so crazy unprofessional in games journalism.

Logash

Anti-IGN GAF League at work. Nevermind that the majority of that podcast was clearly finger wagging at MS for having a severe PR issue that they are unwilling to address (and shitting on the Kinect). Nope the real takeaway is some throwaway comment at the end of the videocast about one of the most misunderstood things in gaming.

They literally admit that they would purchase a game that is native 1080p over the alternative right before Mitch says the naked eye thing, but nope, they are all shills who are in Microsoft's pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom