• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The naked eye cannot perceive the difference between 1080 and 720 before 50in

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyrantII

How is the Nexus 5 btw? I'm jumping from an iPhone 3GS to one in a few hours.

Absolutely love it, but I've never been a big fan of iOS ecosystem. Battery is ok, could be better, but not the worse I've seen (usually need to charge daily). They did a really good job of Google integration and Google Now works well, even if the data mining it probably does is eerily smart.

Dawg

I blame Titanfall.

It was simply too much for their eyeballs to process, it seems to have destroyed most of their vision in the process.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
BYKAZIs.png

Resolution don't real. I am knowings it because science.

Oh, and now Mr. Dancing with Skyrim joins the fray.

I love Twitter.

Their resorting to snide remarks instead of refuting arguments with facts simply reflects their standards when it comes to reporting information.
But Kuchera doesn't matter, he's a nobody. Are they really that pretentious?

He may just be bitter that Neogaf and Reddit did a better job at games journalism than PA report.

Yeah I went there.

I wish I had a job where I could deliberately mislead people while exhibiting all the finesse and true writing skill of a monkey bashing his cracked skull against a typewriter without getting shitcanned or even anything but defended by my peers

fucking lolz what a joke

Whoa you're stepping into another territory here. No need to bring in government politics into this.

NHale

So Youtube commenters tend to not be the smartest people around.

But read the comments to this video. Even a large percentage of the Youtube masses see through their bullshit, with not a lot of people defending the XBO.

That's a real eye-opener as to how much trouble Microsoft are in with core gamers.

They aren't the smartest people but they have a pair of eyes, so it's easy even for them.

By the way, this is complete bullshit. Why did you post this thread in another message board, then, if you don't care at all about this "stuff"?

http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/topic/87048-digital-foundry-hands-on-with-ps4-and-games/

There you are, discussing pop-up in Infamous Second Son:

Did you perhaps change your mind regarding technical issues somewhere between then and now?

It's all about FUN FUN FUN, until it's about a system supported by a corporation you're not emotionally attached too.

One day I hope collectively gamers with a real passion for the industry will study journalism and actually that their jobs seriously and the old guard will fade away into obscurity. I know this will never happen.

LOL.

I can tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on my 21.5" computer monitor. In fact, the difference is extremely noticeable.

Sometimes when I first install games I'm like "why does this look so bad" and then i go into the video settings in the game and I'm like "oh it's set to 720, that's why"

lol i do the same thing bro.

FiggyCal

Banned
Anti-IGN GAF League at work. Nevermind that the majority of that podcast was clearly finger wagging at MS for having a severe PR issue that they are unwilling to address (and shitting on the Kinect). Nope the real takeaway is some throwaway comment at the end of the videocast about one of the most misunderstood things in gaming.

Edit: You are right; people are too hung up on this one part.

But nevermind that as journalists, they don't care about representing facts.

Their resorting to snide remarks instead of refuting arguments with facts simply reflects their standards when it comes to reporting information.

He may just be bitter that Neogaf and Reddit did a better job at games journalism than PA report.

Yeah I went there.

You nailed it, the guy really has an ego problem, many of these so called "journalist" do.

graywolf323

We are, though. They can exist on us alone. They can't exist on publishers alone. If no one goes to a site that site goes out of business. If someone makes a site that is blacklisted by every publisher ever but we still go to it, it still makes money. Google adsense is a wonderful thing.

IIRC didn't Kotaku got blacklisted by Sony due to leaking PlayStation Home? that's what even got them unblocked here on GAF I believe

So tired of this crap from both sides.

I just don't care anymore, and I wish many would move on. The resolution of my DS games and old consoles don't bother me.

If the game is good to great, or you enjoy it, play it.

I wish gaf would become more about enjoying games than trashing everything at a moments notice.

There are so many variables in the way a game looks or performs...let alone plays.,.that no set criteria equals a good game or experience. I've played sub HD games that destroy 1080p (or higher on my PC) games in fun/enjoyment.

Titanfall for example. I enjoyed it on PC...but had more fun on the X1 simply because a group I play with on Live was playing it. The drop in image quality and tearing of the Beta didn't lower the fun.

Edit* In other words I don't care what IGN says. I can see the difference (better than 20/20 vision), but couldn't care less.

By the way, this is complete bullshit. Why did you post this thread in another message board, then, if you don't care at all about this "stuff"?

http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/topic/87048-digital-foundry-hands-on-with-ps4-and-games/

There you are, discussing pop-up in Infamous Second Son:

Funny thing is, I disagree on Second Son (well up close everything looks great). It had a ton of loading/popup problems during the demo when on building tops....yet they state the opposite. On the ground level, it was very pretty.

It's very apparent the draw distance and details need to be (and will be most likely) ironed out.

Did you perhaps change your mind regarding technical issues somewhere between then and now?

Detective GAF on full throttle!

Zabant

There's so much circle jerking within the 'gaming press' every time something like this arises. It's so cringeworthy, my toes curl into a fist inside my shoes whenever I read these sorts of exchanges.

Get used to it, because it's always been here, social media just makes it public.

It was a podcast guys. A couple of people talking around a table. Why would you expect them to do any extensive research before saying anything? They didn't write an in-depth article on the subject. Come on, be realistic.

But don't you know the feeling when you for example sit close to some guys in the cafeteria and they basically tell each other what they want to hear to feel good about they're poor buying decisions or lack of money or something like that, misinterpretating science facts and making up new ones in the process? Don't you want to go over to them, scream at them some, tell them that they are idiots while setting up your chalkboard and then giving them a lecture for that they can't have any stupid defenses against before finishing with the words "I'd rather be an honest sinner than a lying hypocrite!" and bow your thanks?

The point to be made here: It's ok not to give a shit about resolution, but if you DO then don't defend your crappy tech just to feel better about it - and most of all don't hand out a good portion of vicarious embarrassment to your listeners by doing it.

Redmoon

I can tell the difference all that way down to sub 6-inch phone screens.

So, I have a suggestion if anyone feels like doing some investigative journalism.

Get people off the street and show them games running on 720p and 1080p screens respectively. Tell them to indicate which one they perceive to have the higher resolution, while varying parameters like screen size and viewing distance.

Get some statistical analysis up in that bitch and control for how good the eyesight of the test subjects are. BOOM, actual results that can allow us to find a solution to this debate.

But that would require them to do actual work rather than just blindly state what they heard from some guy, so likely not happening.

I do something similar to this with myself. I just run the game natively on two screens( such as 720 and 1080), putting them side by side(same screen size and type) and then turn off all AA ingame. Jaggies ahoy! From there I can easily tell which screen has less Aliasing up to a certain distance, which varies based on the screen size. People who I work with also say the higher res screen has a better image, mostly due to it looking less jagged. Which would mean they can tell the difference, right?

This is how I normally test myslef to see if I can tell the differences between resolutions, regardless of whether I can dissolve all the information onscreen or not. Perhaps this would be a better method as it make it more obvious and controlled :p because yes, there is a difference between any two resolutions, just there are so many variables it makes it hard to measure.

EL CUCO

Seeing the IGN guy wheel out the 'lol y u so mad tho?' defence is just sad at this point.

But really, his job is to be enthusiastic about Xbox. He doesn't care if what he says is true, as long as it's popular with his audience. His apology was flippant because his job is a joke.

Exactly. Also, how else would Ryan score a gig with MS on the big show??
PCb1p2W.jpg

-SD-

Banned
The Dumb Scale™

Dumb
||||
Really Dumb
||||||||||
IGN Dumb
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

RibMan

I think both enthusiast and casual consumers care a lot more about tech specs than people realize. Technology has gotten simpler but it hasn't exactly gotten cheaper, so a lot of people want to get the best bang for their buck. It would be interesting to do research on whether or not the PS4's superior tech specs are actually playing a big part in the PS4's continued success.

I really don't understand why people who are supposedly interested in technology, aren't interested in progress.

By now, it should be clear why some members of the gaming press feel 'obligated' to remind us to not care about factually better tech specs.

It's disappointing to watch (supposedly) tech-driven publications fail to practice what they preach - or at least, what they preached prior to the new consoles launching. It's a fact that 4K is superior to 1080p. It's a fact that 1080p is superior to 720p. Whether or not that fact is relevant to you is a different discussion, but if superior technology is of no interest to your publication then it raises a lot of questions about the nature and content of your company.

People care about clearer and more detailed imagery. As screen and display technology evolves, more people will care more about the quality of imagery from their products. Younger consumers (specifically, consumers within the 18-35 age segment) are very aware and vocal of HD content - in fact, I'd bet that YouTube would have the most detailed breakdown of HD content preferences by age segmentation. I think the individuals claiming higher resolutions aren't a big deal haven't been paying attention to the TV and mobile markets. It's like when Blackberry were trying to downplay the advancements in screen technology - it was only a matter of time before their perspective was filed under 'archaic'.

Why do games journalist constantly go out of their way to prove they know very little about the industry they report about?

And why in the blue hells do we keep supporting these asshats?

Most of them are shills or idiots, or both. It's embarrassing.

Syril

not generalizing but games journalists tend to have terrible vision :X

So they did not quote an actual study or anything? Would be interesting if there are studies that prove or disprove resolution talk.

There was an article about this subject back when 4k TVs started to be promoted that went into way more detail. Basically when sitting 10 feet away from a 50-inch TV, an average eye can't resolve an image the size of a 720p pixel. If you moved a bit closer and sat 8 feet away, the TV would have to be over 60 inches before you could tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

NHale

Exactly. Also, how else would Ryan score a gig with MS on the big show??
PCb1p2W.jpg

I thought this was photoshopped and went to his twitter to confirm it...

It's actually true.

INCREDIBLE. What a complete joke in plain daylight.

EDIT: When someone asked about this not being ethical. He replied "I think you're looking too far into it. Do you think Aisha Tyler only plays Ubisoft games?"

Does Aisha Tyler actually work in a company that reviews games for Ubisoft? Is this guy actually admitting he doesn't care about ethics? This is the clearest case of someone offering his services to be bribed. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom