• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The naked eye cannot perceive the difference between 1080 and 720 before 50in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetta

Alright, fine, let's do some optics calculations.

• A 50" screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio is about 43.579 inches (1.112m) wide by 24.513 (0.623m) tall.
  • At 1920x1080, the pixels would be 0.0227 inches (0.579mm) wide and tall. At 1280x720, they're 0.034 inches. (0.864mm)
  • The typical resolution for a human eye with 20/20 vision is about 2 arcminutes per line pair.
  • This means a feature is no longer resolvable when it's 10,801 times further away from the eye than it is tall/wide. (2 arcminutes / 360 degrees = 10801.08)
  • On a 50" display with a 1080p resolution, individual pixels can no longer be resolved if the viewer is 20.432 feet (6.228m) away from the screen. For the same display at 720p, it's 30.603 feet (9.328m).

I'm sorry, IGN, but you'll need to retake this class. I'll be giving the lectures, and I'm requiring you to sit an additional 10.171 feet away from the whiteboard.

guy-opening-door.gif

Damnnnnnnnn

I haven't been following this thread, but I guess that the press got something grossly wrong, refuse to admit their mistake, talked down to their readers, and are now patting each other on the back on Twitter?

You have a superpower or something? That's unusually accurate. Except the last part they aren't patting each other on the back, they're holding hands.

Rolf NB

This. A thousand times this. I really don't get why the games journalism folk seem to have such animosity to the people they make content for. Yes there are some fuckwits out there who give you constant shit (deservedly at times) but don't paint us all with the same bloody brush!
Good management. Game "journalists" have those "friend in the industry" characters that manage them. They take them out to dinner and put the ideas inteo their heads that they can write about.
They also constantly remind the "journalist" that the audience is a bunch of spoiled kids and should never be listened to. This is very important. The audience's opinion is rarely congruent to the desired message. Any good manipulation begins with marginalizing dissenting voices.

Something like that.

Teletraan1

Banned
I cant think of too many other hobbies that have a media that is this antagonistic of its reader base in public. Some of these angsty people should step out of their little bubble and get new jobs, they clearly aren't happy being a corporations puppet. I am of 2 minds on seeing these posts here. One one side I think GAF should set up some rules about posting their diatribe here. If half of those twitter posts were actual posts on GAF that whole crew from polygon would probably be banned. On the other side I would never see these posts because these clowns mean nothing to me and I wrote them off a long time ago. I dont usually seek out incompetence on the internet. It is nice drum up awareness of how incompetent these guys are and why you shouldn't pay them any mind, not everyone knows this sadly. At this point I think they have been given so much rope there isn't a structure high enough to hang themselves with.

• A 50" screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio is about 43.579 inches (1.112m) wide by 24.513 (0.623m) tall.
  • At 1920x1080, the pixels would be 0.0227 inches (0.579mm) wide and tall. At 1280x720, they're 0.034 inches. (0.864mm)
  • The typical resolution for a human eye with 20/20 vision is about 2 arcminutes per line pair.
  • This means a feature is no longer resolvable when it's 10,801 times further away from the eye than it is tall/wide. (2 arcminutes / 360 degrees = 10801.08)
  • On a 50" display with a 1080p resolution, individual pixels can no longer be resolved if the viewer is 20.432 feet (6.228m) away from the screen. For the same display at 720p, it's 30.603 feet (9.328m).
I'm sorry, IGN, but you'll need to retake this class. I'll be giving the lectures, and I'm requiring you to sit an additional 10.171 feet away from the whiteboard.

How did I miss this post? Dropped the fucking mic.

Numbers do not lie. Well done.

OMG this can't be real and if so how the hell is this guy still employed as a journalist.

You're talking about the same guy that put this in a preview

This is Microsoft’s killer app. You will buy an Xbox One for Titanfall, and you should. Sure, you’d have a good time with it on PC if you’ve got a capable rig, but your couch and the Xbox Live community will be the ecosystem it’s best enjoyed in.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/22/i-played-titanfall-and

rvy

Banned
I haven't been following this thread, but I guess that the press got something grossly wrong, refuse to admit their mistake, talked down to their readers, and are now patting each other on the back on Twitter?

0042_n9slj.gif

It's becoming too common!

Nokterian

Hitting a homerun here damn.

The_Monk

I believe that, if I said something that was wrong or even silly in here some fellow GAFfer would be sure to point me where I was wrong and to correct me with proper information. Than I would be happy because I would have learned something new. However, even if I post something say, in here and I'm wrong there's no big deal because if I compare my own single post in here to a major (by major I mean a Website who gets lots of views from all sorts of gamers no matter how hardcore or casual they are) website than it's very different.

Gamers are also consumers and they all seek information about a product they are going to invest their money in it. It's only fair for them to receive true information when they seek for it. It would make sense for a big Website like IGN to provide a clear, honest message, and most important, true for their audience because it's the very least they (the consumers/viewers/gamers) deserve.

I don't have nothing against the author of that quote and I don't hate him (really, hate is such a strong word, we should never hate something or someone) however he or anybody who have a voice that will be listened by many consumers should always think twice about saying something like this to the masses. Because where some of the most knowledgeable consumers know that what he told is not correct, others don't. And they will take his words because in the end "he is a voice in a major website so he must be right."

If you say something and you are wrong it's okay. You could apologize and try to make sure that you will be correcting your previous statement and provide a more accurate answer. But this was not the case, unfortunately. He said it's "not as big deal" and for some, I may agree that's not indeed, but he added "I don't care". Well, considering your profession I think you should if I may say. Even if you don't care you should always deliver correct information for your viewers because they are gamers, because they are consumers. Same thing goes when you are on a Podcast where people are paying attention to what you say only to, later on write: "Shrug. Thing I was told. Relax" Imagine if this were news regarding any other subject in any other industry. It would be crazy. A journalist or a editor would release some news but then they were wrong so they would just answer to this viewers: "I just heard that, relax guys, If I'm wrong, I'm wrong". Don't your viewers deserve the best? It's because of the people that you may be telling to relax that you have a job in the end. If nobody watched IGN, nobody checked for IGN's articles and so on then they would never exist isn't that correct? Because what is a website without viewers, sponsors and good connections?

In my opinion, if I would get the attention of many viewers I would work hard every single day of my life as a professional journalist or editor to make sure I could provide an honest information all the time. Because the people that listen/read deserve the best you can offer as a professional regardless of the job you have.

I can spot the difference between 1080 and 720 on a 6 inch screen.

But, 99.99% of the population doesn't know what resolution are they looking at.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

It's either you're amazing/psychic, or this shit has happened time and again.

Sorry, you're not amazing.

even looking at the same wallpaper used as the background on my PS3 + 720p tv compared right next to my PC + 1080p monitor of the same size i could see a difference.

and now that i've upgraded (albeit a few years ago) to a 47" 1080p tv, sitting roughly 5 feet from the screen is the only option i have. and i saw a difference between general images (not even games) running at 720 on my PS3 and 1080 on my PS4. it's really not hard to see the distinction.

play a text-heavy game (RPG's with numbers and item names etc. everywhere) whilst limiting your device to 720p, but played on your 1080p tv. you're going to see some muddiness and general jaggedness on the text regardless of how awesome your smoothing/scaling is set. rendering that same image natively at 1080 on a 1080 screen is going to make everything much sharper on it's own without AA even being in the equation.

Marco1

It's a Saturday night and the IGN staff are having a party at the office but someone has gate-crashed and been let loose on their computer posting bullshit.
Either that or Microsoft has dropped off a huge sack of cash.

FiggyCal

Banned
But if it really doesn't matter to them, are they supposed to feign outrage and create an issue where they don't really see one?

It doesn't matter to me either, and that will likely never change. If that makes you mad, its your problem, not mine. *shrug

If it really doesn't matter to them then they shouldn't be forced to fake an outrage to appease the masses. In this case, we are presented what he believes is a fact. He is factually wrong; we can actually prove him wrong. To say that he doesn't care about being called out for being wrong is a terrible attitude for a journalist to have.

thank you for doing their job for them.

Averon

That's exactly right.

Pretty much, though this time the person who made the mistake simply said that they don't care. Progress I guess.

So it's business as usual, then. Sad how my guesses were so right and easy to make.

Anyone who were following the gaming press last year during the run up to the launches of the PS4 and XB1 knows the SOP for the gaming press.

-Never admit your mistake
-Remain hostile even when it's not warranted
-Grossly mis-characterized your readers' arguments
-Go on Twitter and be as passive aggressive (or just downright aggressive) as possible while also patting each other on the back for a 'job well done'.

fijim

Banned
I cant think of too many other hobbies that have a media that is this antagonistic of its reader base in public. Some of these angsty people should step out of their little bubble and get new jobs, they clearly aren't happy being a corporations puppet. I am of 2 minds on seeing these posts here. One one side I think GAF should set up some rules about posting their diatribe here. If half of those twitter posts were actual posts on GAF that whole crew from polygon would probably be banned. On the other side I would never see these posts because these clowns mean nothing to me and I wrote them off a long time ago. I dont usually seek out incompetence on the internet. It is nice drum up awareness of how incompetent these guys are and why you shouldn't pay them any mind, not everyone knows this sadly. At this point I think they have been given so much rope there isn't a structure high enough to hang themselves with.

Seriously, IGN is one of the biggest video game media websites and they write for the general crowd.

The fact that GAF even cares is really quite silly. It's like the video gaming community just sits around waiting for part of the gaming press to say something slightly wrong on a technical level so that they can spam twitter and create 20 page threads freaking out about it.

Someone should have just tweeted the guy "Hey you should clarify that the 50" thing is only true at certain viewing distances and might not be accurate for everyone" and that could have been the end of it.

RE_Player

What a fucking joke. Everyone who helped produce this should be embarrassed. I usually don't get fired up when it comes to this kind of stuff but man this comes across as insulting to the viewer.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
See i'm fine with game journalists not being totally versed in tech, I mean it's important but not that much so, but at least be aware of something as basic as game resolutions and what difference it can make. Hell not even games, they could go to any of their macs or personal computers and flick between all the different resolutions avaliable and see right there on the desktop what difference 1080p makes over 720.

prag16

Banned
Real-time graphics isn't quite the same thing as blu-ray movies though. Sharper, crisper graphics with less aliasing would be noticeable from further away than resolution differences in movies. The typical problems you have with real-time graphics aren't really present in movies.

To get the most benefit from that resolution, the general viewing distances relative to screen size are still probably relevant though. The benefit of having higher resolution movies is that more detail is present. In that sense, whether it be movies or real-time graphics, more subtle detail will be less visible from further away. More subtle detail would probably be harder to pick up than the overall sharpness of the game's graphics.

Yeah, in general I'd say for the most part, that 50" rule of thumb for living room TVs works for live action footage.

But for video games it's a different story. The aliasing almost always gives it away.

Kadin

Seriously, IGN is one of the biggest video game media websites and they write for the general crowd.

The fact that GAF even cares is really quite silly. It's like the video gaming community just sits around waiting for part of the gaming press to say something slightly wrong on a technical level so that they can spam twitter and create 20 page threads freaking out about it.

Someone should have just tweeted the guy "Hey you should clarify that the 50" thing is only true at certain viewing distances and might not be accurate for everyone" and that could have been the end of it.
Then they'd never learn and would continue to do it. Or they still will, I don't know...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Oh wow. How can that come off as anything OTHER than extremely biased?

Can we already guess the score he will give to TitanFall? 10.9?

As for 720p and 1080p difference - my dad spotted it right away, when I played games in our living room in 720p and later bought my own 1080p TV. He just said 'now that is much clearer looking' and I told him about resolution differences :)

Though the article is a complete lie, I find most people can't tell the difference. Sure most of us screen shot studiers can, but I haven't met many people who could actively distern the difference. Hell, most have to ask what resolution a game is running at when they are actually playing it. Again, I know this isn't everyone, but a ton of people really can't tell. Apparently IGN consist of a group of those people lol

It's still factually wrong to think it isn't possible, in any case.

I get what you're saying and I get that feeling. In fact, I got that feeling watching this video when he said that too but man, talk about blowing it out of proportion. How do you know he was just saying it to defend his crappy machine? Maybe he legit thought it was true. Doesn't make him a shill and doesn't make IGN a bad site. If he put this thing up in an article then all this would certainly be called for but this is just a podcast. Say your point of view sure. Prove him wrong, hell yeah. But talk shit like he just killed your mother, that's just crazy.

before I hit the Submit-button on that, I really thought... "man, you're a little harsh there, you're talking about a person with feelings after all"... but well, I had it written already ;)

Also: I can't believe he really thought it was true. I'd believe him, had he said that he heard that humans can't see more 30FPS, but not this resolution stuff. And btw, I OWN that "crappy" machine myself (and a PS4 too) and on the 37" 720p-native TV my Xbox ONE is set up, it DOES look totally fine, but don't tell me I couldn't even see the difference to 1080p on a 50" TV.

fijim

Banned
Then they'd never learn and would continue to do it. Or they still will, I don't know...

They still will, as has been made clear by the tweets and the gaming press' defense of the tweets.

It should just be ignored, we are beyond them in technical knowledge and should ignore their for the masses drivel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom