• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Todd Howard interview on Skyrim's 10th Anniversary, Starfield, Fallout 5 and The Elder Scrolls VI

legacy24

He thinks skyrim's strongest point was the distinctive, regconizable tone.

- He appreciates and loves modding, BGS also have hired many modders.

- Skyrim has sold "way more" than the public figure 30 million copies.

- Starfield developement see their biggest technical overhaul, "to the gut" of the engine.

- They have no plan of outsourcing their IPs because they feel that these games are so inseparable to their ID, but he cant say anything for sure.

- Starfield is not finished but they are still quite confident with the release date.

- BGS almost made Indiana Jones game 10-12 years ago.

He believes Morrowind has the best atmosphere and world, Oblivion the best quests, and Skyrim the best gameplay.

-Agrees with Ryan that they see the Elder Scrolls games as different albums by the same band instead of direct sequels.

-One of his biggest 'regrets' about Skyrim was its lack of depth

-Skyui is one of his favorite mods, and he likes mods that adds systems to the game (such as the survival modes and upcoming Farming creation)

-They take the current landscapes of gaming into account more than previous entries in the respective franchise.

-Rough release date for TES 6 is 5 years from now.

-The fact that ESO and Modding have kept the franchise alive means there was no pressure to keep it alive via a new instalment - one of the main reasons they wanted to do Starfield after FO4 instead of the next Elder Scrolls. Todd phrases it as "The Franchise is Healthy".

-Fallout 5 exists as a page long document.

- Mentions that things like 'modding' and 'memes' can form a community around single player games without integrating multiplayer.

Last edited:

yurinka

It’s really gonna be interesting to see the engine overhaul in Starfield. It looks way better visually from the glimpses we’ve seen so far.
We already knew they were working on Starfield and after it were going to work on TES6, and that somewhere in the future they were going to do Fallout 5. It's nothing new, and I think it's an order that makes sense. They want to work in all of them, but these are massively huge games, so can't work in all of them at the same time.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Mr.Todd Howard, interesting talk, though i dont like how they made Fallout from the best RPG series to its current state today. But i like the Elder Scrolls games and i agree with his take on them, Starfield has potential. But damn 5 more years at least for TES6, what they hell, people who played Skyrim in 2011 are going to play the next one in 15 years ! imagine that.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Love the SkyUI callout and hope we see something like it in Starfield, instead of their normal horrible menu systems.

Flabagast

They shelved TES and Fallout for Starfield. Tells you how much they are betting on it.

Feel like this is at least going to be what the Red Dead Redemption series is to Rockstar with GTA.
Red Dead Redemption 2 is truly a miracle, miles and miles better and more impressive than anything else Rockstar has ever done. I doubt it will be the same for Starfield in comparison to other Bethesda IPs

Ozriel

M$FT
He claims the Elder Scrolls game is 5-6 years away. So that realistically this means 7 years at least.

Skyrim was in 2011, so the better part of two decades without an Elder Scrolls game. lmao.

timestamp? Because he says the game is in pre-production while Starfield is being made, and suggests that full production usually takes his team 12 - 24 months.

Basically one can interprete this to mean TES6 likely to come out in 2024.

where did the 5 -7 years thing come from?

Fredrik

Great interview! He’s spot on all the way, mods are awesome and Morrowind’s world with Oblivion’s quests and Skyrim’s gameplay would be perfection. Not a fan of the 30fps talk but their games are better on PC anyway so I know where I’ll be on Starfield.
TES6 estimated to release in roughly 5 years is difficult to hear. I’ll be over 50. Brutal.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cant blame companies like Blizzard, Bethesda and R* taking forever to make sequels. These guys now take 10+ years to make sequels. They would faster if people didnt keep buying them and playing them. But if the community base is there, more sales and mtx for years, they'll take their time.

It goes to show how good these games really are whereas a lot of gamers dunk on them as bad games. If the games are that bad, sales and gaming would stop fast. They arent.

MOTM

Banned
Red Dead Redemption 2 is truly a miracle, miles and miles better and more impressive than anything else Rockstar has ever done. I doubt it will be the same for Starfield in comparison to other Bethesda IPs
Yeah RDR 1 & 2 are my favourite games ever and masterpieces outside of just video games.

I don’t know if Bethesda have what it takes to pull it off but from the sounds of it that’s the direction they’re trying to take.

Holy fucking jiggly tits *16* fucking years between Skyrim and TES VI?

TOOL took less than that to release a new record! TOOL!
Fed Up Reaction GIF

5 or 6 years for the next elder scrolls or fallout, woof. I mean take your time but I figured they would be a little more efficient with more money backing them now.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Cant blame companies like Blizzard, Bethesda and R* taking forever to make sequels. These guys now take 10+ years to make sequels. They would faster if people didnt keep buying them and playing them. But if the community base is there, more sales and mtx for years, they'll take their time.
Business wise it makes absolutely sense but in terms of creativity I‘m baffled it takes them this long. Humans do not live forever. Does Howard really only want to make 2 more games until he retires?

amigastar

So this means that ES6 will be released at the dusk of the XSX era, if not a first-gen XSX2 title.

Hmm.
I think they will Double Dip with XSX and XSX2.
Anyways not really having Starfield on my Radar but thats because we've seen barely any footage.

Romulus

timestamp? Because he says the game is in pre-production while Starfield is being made, and suggests that full production usually takes his team 12 - 24 months.

Basically one can interprete this to mean TES6 likely to come out in 2024.

where did the 5 -7 years thing come from?

I got it from the summary that someone posted at the beginning of the thread. It could be wrong, but I have huge doubts it'll be anywhere close to 2024.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

The comment about the franchise being healthy makes me wonder if they plan a Morrowind or Oblivion remaster. Seems like an obvious thing to do with little investment for significant returns.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Business wise it makes absolutely sense but in terms of creativity I‘m baffled it takes them this long. Humans do not live forever. Does Howard really only want to make 2 more games until he retires?
I agree. Look at Diablo.

Diablo 1: 1997 (actually last week of 1996)

D2: 2000

D3: 2012

D4: 2023 minimum

Diablo is a kind of game which looks like it can come out freshened up every 3 years if they wanted to. We could surely be at D7 or 8 by now. They could do it if they really wanted to. Diablo games arent even crazy budget looking games. Its hack and slash loot drops with limited bits of canned acting and dialogue.

But maybe it's one of those things if Bethesda churns out too many ES games it'll sink the franchise as too many too soon.

Last edited:
Will it contain the same day 1 bugs that all ports did, or did they finally install the community doing their jobs for them patches in this version?

Considering the previous “special edition” used the exact same data files as the original releases with absolutely no modification, I’m betting this is the exact same way. All the same scripting errors will be present. No howling wolves for us! (Broken with the vampire expansion and never fixed)

Nickolaidas

The comment about the franchise being healthy makes me wonder if they plan a Morrowind or Oblivion remaster. Seems like an obvious thing to do with little investment for significant returns.
*shrugs* A heavily modded Oblivion looks gorgeous, no need to remaster it as long as you're willing to invest a single day for setting it up. Morrowind could benefit greatly from a re-worked UI and bumped up engine but it'll need time. TIme which could be better allocated to ES6. Besides, by the time ES6 comes out, Skywind will probably be released as well and look ten times better than any Morrowind remaster ever would.

Top Bottom