• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Wii E3 Letter from Matt (Animal Crossing: City Folk)

botticus

Dascu said:
I think he means, that if PunchOut and Animal Crossing are the big Wii projects for this E3, then where would Retro's project be, since it's almost certain that it'll be present. So, one could conclude that Retro is working on PunchOut.

Of course, this argument only holds up if PunchOut and AC are the only Wii projects at E3.
I imagine all we'd get from Retro at E3 would be an announcement/trailer of what they're working on, nothing playable.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
botticus said:
I imagine all we'd get from Retro at E3 would be an announcement/trailer of what they're working on, nothing playable.

It's hard to tell. MP3 was functionally done in August of 2006 and not released until a year later. We know extensive polishing happened during that time, but something tells me the majority of the preproduction on the next title was being done as well. I don't think it's unreasonable that a title with a minimum of two years of preproduction/dev time be at least playable in the preliminary sense.

Stumpokapow said:
It's hard to tell. MP3 was functionally done in August of 2006 and not released until a year later. We know extensive polishing happened during that time, but something tells me the majority of the preproduction on the next title was being done as well. I don't think it's unreasonable that a title with a minimum of two years of preproduction/dev time be at least playable in the preliminary sense.

During Corruption's development, Retro stated that they were also developing another game as well. I would assume most of the creative processes were competed in 2006, and its development began as Corruption's development cooled down.

Meh indeed, Punch-Out developed by Retro? If not what are they doing at E3...

Why assume it's from Retro? It's pretty clear Retro want to do something new and not be restrained by working on an established franchise.

Ikael

Well, weighting all the rumours I would say that what are we going to see at the e3 will be:

Almost sure:
- Animal crossing
- Something Retro - related. Either a 2D game on the VC (metroid dread?) or Punch Out.
- Disaster: day of the crisis

Perhaps:
- Matoor Icarus
- Pikmin 3
- Capcom´s Flock

Pie in the sky:
- Matsuno project
- Mother compilation (or anything mother - related)

Still, I wouldn´t bet anything JRPG - related during the E3. Nintendo will probably announce whatever they had in either:
a) a conference on the TGS (they attend it not as expositors, but they did held conferences in another previous years)
b) A third party surprise conference, a la Squarenix announcing Dragon Quest DS or Capcom announcing Monster Hunter 3 Wii.

I say either Kingdom Hearts 3 Wii or a Mother Compilation will be announced around the TGS date. Well, either that, or burst.

[Nintex] said:
Meh indeed, Punch-Out developed by Retro? If not what are they doing at E3...

Why in the world are you involving Retro in this? Nobody said that Retro has something to do with Punch out. And I doubt they're developing it.

DuckRacer

Andrex said:
Heads will roll if normal holidays aren't back, though.
Eh, I dunno. I did like the holidays in AC GC, but when you're hunting down Christmas furniture on Christmas Eve... you ought to just hang out with your family or friends.

Duck said:
Eh, I dunno. I did like the holidays in AC GC, but when you're hunting down Christmas furniture on Christmas Eve... you ought to just hang out with your family or friends.

My future with my fiancee just flashed before my eyes. I suppose I'll represent the family in those situations. sigh.

I hope he's wrong about Kid Icarus because I'd LOVE to see the reaction when it's not shown. :lol

Wouldn't be the first time he guessed something would be shown at E3 and was completely wrong.

But if it is, I hope Pit looks like he does in Brawl. None of this "OMG MATOOR" nonsense. What would they call it? "Man Icarus"'?

kottila

Ikael said:
Well, weighting all the rumours I would say that what are we going to see at the e3 will be:

Almost sure:
- Animal crossing
- Something Retro - related. Either a 2D game on the VC (metroid dread?) or Punch Out.
- Disaster: day of the crisis

Perhaps:
- Matoor Icarus
- Pikmin 3
- Capcom´s Flock

Pie in the sky:
- Matsuno project
- Mother compilation (or anything mother - related)

Still, I wouldn´t bet anything JRPG - related during the E3. Nintendo will probably announce whatever they had in either:
a) a conference on the TGS (they attend it not as expositors, but they did held conferences in another previous years)
b) A third party surprise conference, a la Squarenix announcing Dragon Quest DS or Capcom announcing Monster Hunter 3 Wii.

I say either Kingdom Hearts 3 Wii or a Mother Compilation will be announced around the TGS date. Well, either that, or burst.

Flock! is a PSN, XBLA, steam project sheeppuzzlegame no? Wasn't the capcom thing supposed to be the new take on a next gen favorite.

EricDiesel said:
I hope he's wrong about Kid Icarus because I'd LOVE to see the reaction when it's not shown. :lol

Wouldn't be the first time he guessed something would be shown at E3 and was completely wrong.

But if it is, I hope Pit looks like he does in Brawl. None of this "OMG MATOOR" nonsense. What would they call it? "Man Icarus"'?

Just "Icarus"?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Duck said:

What? You could hunt down furniture on Christmas? I just liked all the pretty lights.

Prezhulio

sprocket said:
I am pretty convinced that Nintendo will show new things to make me super excited about the Wii again. Something for gamers that is.

boy o boy how i wish it would be a new star fox.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendo will announce a new Zelda with wind waker's art style... and show a trailer. Wouldn't it be good? :)

Meesh

Well heck, I'm just happy with Fatal Frame, Animal Xing, and this new fangled "mature" Pitt being a possibillity...

...never played Pikmin though, might be a good time to jump in...with Miyamoto being there to present something I'm hoping for a sneak peek at the next Zelda. Just a peek, that's all I'm asking...give me something, anythiiiiiing!!!!

snatches

Why is it that no one on any press site is speculating about Zelda? If they showed it this e3 as an '09 title that would be a three year gap with Twilight Princess....

M74

snatches said:
Why is it that no one on any press site is speculating about Zelda? If they showed it this e3 as an '09 title that would be a three year gap with Twilight Princess....
Even if they do say something about a new Zelda, we should all probably expect it to be a 2010 release.

A few journalists have stated it's a possibility, but I guess they aren't really focusing on it because A) They have no real reason to believe it's going to happen (i.e., no leaked information), and B) Because its release would be so far removed from this year's conference, the best we could hope for is a simple trailer.

It appears a lot of journalists are more interested at this point in seeing who will "win" 2008.

Xeke

Banned
I think the next Zelda will be a combination of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, using a less cartoony style but still using cell shading.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Xeke said:
I think the next Zelda will be a combination of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, using a less cartoony style but still using cell shading.

Yes, maybe take a few cues from the next Prince of Persia.

That said, is the subtitle really "City Folk"? Or is that some kind of joke...?

Mkliner

Andrex said:
Yes, maybe take a few cues from the next Prince of Persia.

That said, is the subtitle really "City Folk"? Or is that some kind of joke...?

Kagari said:
Well, Animal Crossing for Wii's full title is Animal Crossing: City Folk, if that gives you any idea...

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Every year for the last few years on the eve of the Nintendo Press Conference Matt C has posted a thread on the GCN General Board/Wii General Board a thread titled "Hot or Not?" and followed by an image of a Nintendo character. Before Metroid Prime 3 was announced he posted a picture of Samus, before Mario Galaxy was announced it was a picture of Mario, etc. So whatever the 'big game reveal' will be, it'll most likely be scooped in that thread. Its a way he circumvents NDAs.

Linkhero1

JohnTinker said:
Every year for the last few years on the eve of the Nintendo Press Conference Matt C has posted a thread on the GCN General Board/Wii General Board a thread titled "Hot or Not?" and followed by an image of a Nintendo character. Before Metroid Prime 3 was announced he posted a picture of Samus, before Mario Galaxy was announced it was a picture of Mario, etc. So whatever the 'big game reveal' will be, it'll most likely be scooped in that thread. Its a way he circumvents NDAs.
Even though it might mean nothing, I'd like to see Donkey Kong and Paper Mario on his "hot or not" list.

JohnTinker said:

Oh, awesome! Thanks for the info!

Let's hope we see something good then. :)

JohnTinker said:
I hope to see a Donkey Kong Picture or a Yoshi picture :D

Exempted

Banned
JohnTinker said:
He posted a picture of Space World Link on the eve of the 2004 reveal of Twilight Princess.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
JohnTinker said:

Tom Nook or Olimar most likely.

Edit- I would LOVE links to these threads.

Xeke said:
Hopefully it takes more from Twilight Princess. The art direction in TP was ace.

DuckRacer

JohnTinker said:
Awesome. How has he not been stopped though if it apparently blows surprises year after year?
Andrex said:
Tom Nook or Olimar most likely.

Edit- I would LOVE links to these threads.
I would too. I'd imagine they're Insider only, though. :/

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Duck said:
Awesome. How has he not been stopped though if it apparently blows surprises year after year?

I would too. I'd imagine they're Insider only, though. :/
It doesn't really 'blow' the surprise. If anything it gets the internet buzzing to watch for the big reveal. If folks know something is coming they're a bit more inclined to watch and see if its real. Also he doesn't post media from the game itself, but pre-existing, old media.

ninj4junpei said:
Hopefully it takes more from Twilight Princess. The art direction in TP was ace.

Personally I want to see something like Majora's Mask's art.

Majoras%20Mask%20Front%20Large.jpg

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I've seen lots of folks comment that they're certain that we'll see Zelda, and half well near convinced that its going to be there, when it only seems like a fanboy wet dream that it'll be shown.

Grecco

JohnTinker said:

I dont think he did it last year did he? I do remember the zelda and metroid ones

JohnTinker said:
I've seen lots of folks comment that they're certain that we'll see Zelda, and half well near convinced that its going to be there, when it only seems like a fanboy wet dream that it'll be shown.

Personally i think there's no chance we'll see it. We only got TP in 2006 and PH in 2007. Zelda games take ages to make, and Nintendo will not want to rush the next one out, since it's supposed to be a drastic change from current Zelda games. Also, Nintendo have adopted a recent policy of not revealing games until they're close to being released, so that further dissolves the possibility of anything Zelda related at E3 this year.

OgnodoD

brandonh83 said:
Fuck Animal Crossing, fuck Pikmin, give me a Ducktales remake with an orchestrated remix of the Moon level music, damn it

DuckTales III (with a return to the moon for the orchestrated moon music) with DuckTales and DuckTales II as hidden unlockables. What's sad is that we know such a thing of beauty will never be made. :(

M74

If whomever has an IGN Insider account could relay to us what Matt C. reveals in his "Hot or Not" thread tomorrow, should he make one, it would be MUCH appreciated. Please. :D

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Theres always a race to get on the first page in the Hot or Not threads. I actually got the first post couple years back by accident :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
JohnTinker said:
It's the timing. History suggests that Nintendo will reveal the next Zelda since year in anticipation of a late 2009 reveal or a delay to 2010. However only time will tell if the pattern sticks in this new era.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Yeah, I'm really hoping they don't show Zelda and overshadow everything else shown at the conference, then it DOES get delayed, and everyone gets disappointed with it ala Twilight Princess.

No thank you, E3 08 Zelda-free please.

Top Bottom