• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

Who told you 3.5% failure rate in one week is industry norm?

People keep pumping out these numbers as if they are facts.

Did I say one week? Quote any part of my post where I said one week. I'm just mentioning failure rate, and we all know failure rates for both will be followed closely the first year while they are under warranty. Here, I'll repost it and edit in a one-year time frame, since now we're putting stuff in each other's mouths about what we're saying. I'll try to be more specific in the future.

People doing the maths should also consider that maybe not every owner of a faulty PS4 would necessarily go online to complain about it.

So it is pretty much useless to calculate the failure rate when, for starters, we don't even now exactly how many PS4 are in the wild.

7 that we know of. There might be loads more unreported.

Except not everybody that has a problem will report it here or on Reddit or on twitter. So either way claiming 0.2% or 20% failure rate is absurd. We don't know.

Which is why I stated that even if that number increases 10-fold we're still at only 1.75%, and if it increases 20-fold then we'd be at 3.5% which is about industry norm for high end electronics over a year's time under warranty. For reference: SSDs have a 1.5% failure rate, HDDs have a 5% failure rate. What's right between those? 3.25%....

If it increases fifty to 100-fold then we have a problem Houston, but until then let's not call off the countdown. Start worrying if it goes over 4% within the first 6 months maybe, but until then everyone that's freakin' take a chill pill.

MaLDo

Yeah, in terms of failure rates, that's actually totally OK.

It's a 0.175% rate.

*crosses fingers that mine won't be another point in that statistic come EU launch*

That's not how maths work. Your failure number is known into only one day (or 2 or 3). Obviously nobody know what will happen in the future, but if you'll find 7 brick consoles every day, the failure rate can be higher after one year, right? You can't calculate failure rate after one day. Your number represents "first day (or week) failure rate" and no more.

Are people here really setting a failure rate based on the known cases posted to Twitter/forums? That's utterly pointless and proves nothing. Not saying there is a large scale issue but we don't have anywhere near the level of information wed need to determine the failure rate accurately.

Which is why you'll see people (and myself in another post)

Are advocating a wait and see.

To try and suggest a problem from such small numbers is pointless
Same as trying to suggest everythings ok from small numbers

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Welp, I'm working all day, and won't get off until 10:30pm.

Gonna shower, pick up my system, and go to bed. Going in work a few hours late tomorrow, so hopefully any issues are sorted out by then. If there is a problem at least it can be returned to the retailer.

Not going to freak out over this.

lefantome

It seems that the real problem is the HDMI port.
Maybe the factory that produced the consoles made some mistakes.

An HDMI port is a standard there aren't design errors, it's only a manufacturing mistake.
Hopefully it's limited to a stock of initial PS4.

I don't think it's Sony's fault unless they knew about this issue.

That's not how maths work. Your failure number is known into only one day (or 2 or 3). Obviously nobody know what will happen in the future, but if you'll find 7 brick consoles every day, the failure rate can be higher after one year, right? You can't calculate failure rate after one day. Your number represents "first day (or week) failure rate" and no more.

Glance two posts up from yours.

SmokyDave

Although I'm not running around worrying that the sky is falling in, it is a bummer to be reminded that launch units fail. Fingers crossed that mine ain't one of them.

3% of 1 million is 30,000

Yup, and if they sell 3 million by end of year there will be 90,000 unhappy buyers and the internet will explode. Same goes for the XB1. Both consoles will be under a massive microscope and any failures will be magnified.

If the failure rate goes above 3% in the first six months then I'll worry. If it goes above 5-6% within year one I'll worry.

Until then, I won't worry. But many many many people will.

It seems that the real problem is the HDMI port.
Maybe the factory that produced the consoles made some mistakes.

An HDMI port is a standard there aren't design errors, it's only a manufacturing mistake.
Hopefully it's limited to a stock of initial PS4.

I don't think it's Sony's fault unless they knew about this issue.

Even if they did know its not like they could or would delay anything because of a few defects. Chalk it up to new hardware problems and keep it moving. This isn't a issue until we need a "My PS4 died and I lived to tell the story" thread.

darkwing

Yup, and if they sell 3 million by end of year there will be 90,000 unhappy buyers and the internet will explode. Same goes for the XB1. Both consoles will be under a massive microscope and any failures will be magnified.

If the failure rate goes above 3% in the first six months then I'll worry. If it goes above 5-6% within year one I'll worry.

Until then, I won't worry. But many many many people will.

this is what I mean

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Although I'm not running around worrying that the sky is falling in, it is a bummer to be reminded that launch units fail. Fingers crossed that mine ain't one of them.

Pretty much my thoughts - selfishly I just hope it doesn't happen to me. Sucks for someone in the 1, 2, 3, 4% - or whatever - but it's almost bound to happen. Only thing you can hope for is speedy repair/replacement.

ravenlord

Banned
Now we are ready for

"My PS4 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story"

kwTpvqy.jpg

Twinduct

Come to think of it, was there ever anything like the RROD for the vita?
Hell for any handheld?

The two media outlet failures concern me, because between IGN and Kotaku they were almost certainly given no more than 5-10 units, so even if we go with that high number, 2 out of 10 failing within days is disconcerting.

It gets a little more worrisome when you consider the two outlets probably didn't get 10 between them.

Pop

Pretty much my thoughts - selfishly I just hope it doesn't happen to me. Sucks for someone in the 1, 2, 3, 4% - or whatever - but it's almost bound to happen. Only thing you can hope for is speedy repair/replacement.

Maybe the batch for the Taco Bell winners are the faulty ones. I'm not worrying right now but it is a concern.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Come to think of it, was there ever anything like the RROD for the vita?
Hell for any handheld?
Hmm, I don't think so. I'm sure some Vita systems have failed but it certainly wasn't something commonly reported.

The last thing I remember hearing a lot about were the screen scratches on the original 3DS caused by folding the unit.

The Ps4 and the Xbox One are assembled in the same factory. It would kind of a major blowout for Foxconn if the Xbox One also had a issue similar to this one

MaLDo

Glance two posts up from yours.

Maybe is my lack of english but we are talking about two different numbers. I'm not talking about new hardware into the market but the same 4000 consoles already in consumer hands. We need to know how many of them can be broken after months to talk about failure rate. Every manufacturer knows that first day (first run) is the most critical moment for a defective hardware. That must be considered. Perhaps no other of those 4000 consoles break in one year. perhaps every day 7 of them explode. We know nothing, so ratios calculations are a no sense today.

yup, just get your warranty thingies just in case

but 30,000 people complaining on net are going to be loud

God, even if only like 9.25% of those people are vocal online and the rest go unreported, we'll still have 2,775 reddit threads and twitter feeds screaming about broken consoles. And GAF will probably go Fukushima...... too soon?

Do u c widt?

Nestunt

Its shitty for those that pre-ordered

but we only know the magnitude of this in three months

when millions have it

shem935

Banned
The Ps4 and the Xbox One are assembled in the same factory. It would kind of a major blowout for Foxconn if the Xbox One also had a issue similar to this one

Really they are? Would be really interesting if the Xbox had the same hdmi port issues. Maybe the guy putting them in had a bad month?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Maybe the batch for the Taco Bell winners are the faulty ones. I'm not worrying right now but it is a concern.

There'll be faulty, or eventually faulty units in every batch of electronic products. Thusfar I don't think there's evidence of anything out of the ordinary for the Taco Ball units. Your chances of getting a (eventual or otherwise) dud are small if PS4 has 'normal' rates of failure, but not non-existent.

Cc23830

Thank you proud Americans, I applaud you for beta testing our ps4 consoles before they reach our sunny shores. Hopefully all kinks will have been ironed out by the 29th if it is a software issue

sajj316

Get console and hope for the best case. If borked, await a replacement. Sucks if it happens but there are no alternatives.

Ganondolf

this could turn out to be big problem. if these machines are faulty after less than a week, what about after months of intensive playtime.

only time will tell if we have a ps3 fat problem again.

Maybe is my lack of english but we are talking about two different numbers. I'm not talking about new hardware into the market but the same 4000 consoles already in consumer hands. We need to know how many of them can be broken after months to talk about failure rate. Every manufacturer knows that first day (first run) is the most critical moment for a defective hardware. That must be considered. Perhaps no other of those 40,000 consoles break in one year. perhaps every day 7 of them explode. We know nothing, so ratios calculations are a no sense today.

Oh I know man and most of us that are doing the whole maths thing aren't trying to state that these are facts, or that failure rates can be predicted within the first year. What we're trying to advocate for is a semblance of calm and rationality in this.

While we can't assume that the failure rates are low, we also can't assume they're high either. As you say yourself, we just don't fucking know. So people freaking out doesn't do a darn bit of good. Let's all just take the wait-and-see approach, or better yet, drop $50 on an extended warranty so that you don't even have to bother yourself with shipping a broken unit in for repairs. Just take it into your retailer and make them swap it out for a brand spankin' new one on the spot. That's what I'm doing. I learned my lesson after RRoD'd 360 units.

We all saved dough on games with Target's B2G1 deal, so I'm sure we can drop less than the price of a game to protect our investment for a few years.

PropheV

Neo Member
In the same boat seriously considering canceling my pre order in the short time I have left wish we had reports earlier on

Im importing to Japan, but Amazon rep. told me my unit would be replaced free of charge incase it bricks. Where did you guys order from?

The two media outlet failures concern me, because between IGN and Kotaku they were almost certainly given no more than 5-10 units, so even if we go with that high number, 2 out of 10 failing within days is disconcerting.

It gets a little more worrisome when you consider the two outlets probably didn't get 10 between them.

Your highschool maths teacher just face palmed!!!

Hi my name is derp derp retardo, I don't buy extended warranties with consoles because only my last 10 in a row have died. So I don't believe in them, they are just there for companies to make more money out of me. Fuck capitalism.

leadbelly

Banned
" Oddly enough, we tried adding light pressure to the top of console and it briefly flickered a few active home menu images on the television."

What kind of problem could cause that?

I would say faulty HDMI again. If it briefly showed the menu then it means it is at least booting up correctly, it's just having a problem showing an image.

N.B. the standard consumer electronics failure rate is 5%.

I'm going to chalk this up to launching in the age of social media for now. Although, it's always good to be wary as well I suppose.

oVerde

Banned

This is far more concerning, if we could know how many Ps4 they received this could be a more accurate rate than random people over the Internet.

Top Bottom