• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuchoMalo

Banned
How would delaying NX help Nintendo? PS4 Pro is releasing this year after all. Nintendo repeated the NX release date as March 2017 when those mid-gen upgrades were already known. If they affected Nintendo's plans this late into the game they wouldn't keep repeating March 2017.

He's holding on to the NX powerhouse dream and is hoping for a delat to make it as powerful as Scorpio.

This reveal is going to result in glorious meltdowns.

gafneo

Banned
What Nintendo thinks the average customer is doing.
-Ignoring XBox,PC, PS4,VR, Ignoring their daily expenses, playing Mario Kart 8 everyday for months on end. Watching each Nintendo direct, staying up to date on social media. Showing excitement about Paper Mario Color Splash and the new lineup for 3DS. In their minds feeling the bright future for both the 3DS and Wii U.

What customers are really doing.
-Nintendo? Those the onez that make that nintendo 26400 Segar Geniside? My kids want that Call Duty, I went to store, they say I have to wait 1 whole month longer. I don't see why they make us do all this running when they already put the thing on sale. Now they asking for this thing called Player VR Stationbox something or other. You put on the helmet to watch TV. I don't know what that f** it is but all 6 a my kids birday coming up. They want them new phones, already broken like 20 them dam things.

Calm Mind

September is all 3DS for Nintendo

October - Sony and Microsoft have the month locked up tight with huge AAA 3rd party software releases, bundles and hardware refreshes. Nintendo has Color Splash...

November - Is pretty much the same as October and Nintendo themselves have the NES Mini, several unreleased amiibo*, Pokemon Sun & Moon and several bundles to keep them busy.

December - Nintendo is Super Mario Run, Mario Maker 3DS and the Zelda 30th Anniversary amiibo.

*speculation

(totally forgot about the PSVR) :p

What Nintendo thinks the average customer is doing.
-Ignoring XBox,PC, PS4,VR, Ignoring their daily expenses, playing Mario Kart 8 everyday for months on end. Watching each Nintendo direct, staying up to date on social media. Showing excitement about Paper Mario Color Splash and the new lineup for 3DS. In their minds feeling the bright future for both the 3DS and Wii U
No.

He's holding on to the NX powerhouse dream and is hoping for a delat to make it as powerful as Scorpio.

This reveal is going to result in glorious meltdowns.

I don't think so. The grand majority made their peace with a Tegra X-equivalent.

Well yes, the xXxSuperMarioWiiUFanxXxs and UltraSuperHappyNintendoFanGirls who believed that surely 5th time is the charm and that Nintendo will definitely go with sheer hardware power as their sellingpoint this time based on absolutely nothing will say that the company is dead or whatever.
But who cares about those.

October - Sony and Microsoft have the month locked up tight with huge AAA 3rd party software releases, bundles and hardware refreshes. Nintendo has Color Splash...

November - Is pretty much the same as October and Nintendo themselves have the NES Mini, several unreleased amiibo*, Pokemon Sun & Moon and several bundles to keep them busy.

December - Nintendo is Super Mario Run, Mario Maker 3DS and the Zelda 30th Anniversary amiibo.

*speculation
There is something going on every single month for the next 5 years.
Nintendo has their own schedule and timeframe and isn't going to deviate from it because of the inevitability of other stuff going on.
This is a system showing, not a system release date being speculated.

AAMARMO

Banned

*speculation

(totally forgot about the PSVR) :p

LOL there not releasing in OCT dont get your point.

maxcriden

I'm confused still about complains or concerns that the 720 screen will look bad as a HH. Has anyone yet determined if having the screen as close to your face as it would be for a handheld vs. for a big screen would mean 720p at that distance is the same as 1080 or more at a greater distance?

Peterc

Emily said october and she is sure about that part.
Everyone could believe their own sources, but i'll keep my focus this time on the october reveal.

MisterHero

I don't think so. The grand majority made their peace with a Tegra X-equivalent.

Well yes, the xXxSuperMarioWiiUFanxXxs and UltraSuperHappyNintendoFanGirls who believed that surely 5th time is the charm and that Nintendo will definitely go with sheer hardware power as their sellingpoint this time based on absolutely nothing will say that the company is dead or whatever.
But who cares about those.
Power gets 3rd parties. So it's not about power, it's about games.

I'd take a port of the 360 version of Dead Rising 1 on NX but I really want the remaster. It's worth it.

I'm confused still about complains or concerns that the 720 screen will look bad as a HH. Has anyone yet determined if having the screen as close to your face as it would be for a handheld vs. for a big screen would mean 720p at that distance is the same as 1080 or more at a greater distance?
I heard 720p will actually look great on a smaller screen.

KingBroly

Banned
Power gets 3rd parties. So it's not about power, it's about games.

I'd take a port of the 360 version of Dead Rising 1 on NX but I really want the remaster. It's worth it.

Power's increasingly losing ground to convenience. At some point, probably very soon, it won't be worth making AAA games anymore.

ggx2ac

There's really no reason to frame Nintendo's options in relation to existing Tegra chips. The NX will almost certainly be the biggest selling Tegra-powered device ever made by a substantial margin, and the chip that powers it will be made in far larger quantities, perhaps by an order of magnitude or more, than either TX1 or Parker. If anything, it would make far more sense for Nintendo and Nvidia to design NX's SoC from scratch and then use a variant of that for Parker, rather than vice versa.

Maxwell and Pascal are near-identical graphics architectures, and are both inherently modular and scalable, based around 128 ALU "Shader Modules" or SMs. Really there are only three questions when it comes to NX's GPU hardware:

1. What manufacturing process will it be made on (ie 28nm, 20nm or 16/14nm)?
  2. How many of each functional unit will it have (ie how many SMs, ROPs, etc)?
  3. What clock speed will it operate at?
Nintendo's decisions on each of these are pretty much completely independent of the decisions Nvidia made for TX1 and Parker, and will depend on their own preferences when it comes to cost, performance and power draw. Both Nvidia and Nintendo have ample experience designing mobile SoCs, and in the grand scheme of SoC design this is definitely a case where the expected production run is so large the designers can do whatever they like without feeling constrained to simply modify an existing design.

(Also, while Nvidia haven't operated on a semi-custom business model recently, there's no reason to believe they wouldn't if it were profitable for them, just as AMD operate both semi-custom and licensing models depending on the client).

I did have a thought about that briefly however, it was hard to argue it because it has just as much chances of being true as AMD having NX for one of the Semi-custom design wins.

You are right that whatever Tegra powers NX would probably not be a customised variant but an original design due to the fact being that Tegra isn't a successful product line for Nvidia.

It still raises as many questions as if it were to run on a variant of Parker being those for what you said including what CPUs it would use.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Because they'd want to get in before the PSVR launch hype, and more importantly because they have an Animal Crossing Direct in the beginning of November and won't want an event and a Direct or two Directs too close together. They'll probably want a little distance from Sun/Moon as well, along with the holiday season in general. Also, "all rumors" isn't really accurate, as the only one saying that Emily. Not that I don't believe her, but she is just one person and doesn't represent everyone.

1. PSVR "launch hype" won't mean hardly anything. Saving the direct for 2 weeks after PSVR launches would be clear enough away.

2. The Animal Crossing Direct should have little to no effect on this. They could do them the day after and people wouldn't care.

EhoaVash

So nx. Reboot you say.

Does Nintendo have its own mark Cerny? Do we have any info about lead architect? Did past Nintendo console/hardware have a main person behind the architect?

I know that Wii U had a hardware producer who was behind the systems philosophy and Nintendo land ( that guy was animal crossing creator katsuya Eguchi) and we know that the hardware producer for the NX is no other than
Yoshiaki Koizumi, the director of Mario Galaxy. Will be interesting to see what his hardware philosophy will be with NX

L Thammy

This word doesn't mean anything without it being defined by the person who used it.

I think we're looking at that comment all wrong. It means we're returning to the GameCube era.

faj7t.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Even if Nintendo talks about NX with their business partners it doesn't mean that the reveal will be done around the same time. That's why the NDAs exists. This is Gamestop story reloadee.

isn't 7" screen not to big for a handheld?

I rather would go for a 6"

I don't think it's intended to be a handheld. At that screensize plus a few inches for the controls on each side it's not going to be something anyone is carrying with them or playing on the go.
Anyone expecting a 3DS successor is going to be disappointed.

It's a home portable. More something you play lounging around in bed, or can easily carry from room to room to be used anywhere. Or carried to someone house. Not for regular use on the go, it's completely impractical for that. I'd say it's better thought of as an ultra portable console with an integrated screen, not a handheld gaming device for play anywhere anytime.

rtrbad

Banned
I don't think it's intended to be a handheld. At that screensize plus a few inches for the controls on each side it's not going to be something anyone is carrying with them or playing on the go.
Anyone expecting a 3DS successor is going to be disappointed.

It's a home portable. More something you play lounging around in bed, or can easily carry from room to room to be used anywhere. Or carried to someone house. Not for regular use on the go, it's completely impractical for that. I'd say it's better thought of as an ultra portable console with an integrated screen, not a handheld gaming device for play anywhere anytime.

IDK, I'm honestly not putting a N3DS in my pocket either. It's bulky. However, if I'm carrying a backpack or something I do take it with me. Or make my wife carry it in her purse >:)

If it's 6-7" I still think it would be just as viable as a true portable as the 3DS, however without the clamshell it might be a little less resilient to being dropped or something.

Even if Nintendo talks about NX with their business partners it doesn't mean that the reveal will be done around the same time. That's why the NDAs exists. This is Gamestop story reloadee.

As a reminder, we also have the Nintendo Rep conference starting in a week, which is usually focused on the most important launches of the next 12 months, specifically in regards to messaging, marketing campaigns, and retailer cooperation within North America.

I don't think there's necessarily any guarantee that we'll get a full reveal by the end of next week, but between these two events (EDIT: If this retailer meeting is real and ends up having literally anything to do with NX, which is a bit of a long shot in my mind) I think there's a good chance of somebody slipping up at the very least, though I wouldn't put any money down on it.

And if Emily Rogers thinks there's a 0% chance of a reveal this week, then I'm personally pretty willing to agree with her. No reveal this week also makes me want to step back a bit on the rep conference angle, because I always found a reveal the week of to be less likely than a reveal the week before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom