• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.
NX leaks are gonna happen soon. Either from this retail meeting in Frankfurt or from a Foxconn employee lol.
How sad would that be? Nintendo had us wait so long only to have it all leak? What would these retailers know? The final name and games?

NateDrake

How sad would that be? Nintendo had us wait so long only to have it all leak? What would these retailers know? The final name and games?

Retailers could learn as little as the reveal date and when pre-orders could potentially open. They don't need a full reveal. Temper expectations.

Retailers could learn as little as the reveal date and when pre-orders could potentially open. They don't need a full reveal. Temper expectations.
I was just asking because I don't know how it works. I don't want anything to leak. I want Nintendo to be able to reveal it in their presentation for the first time.

AzaK

Nintendo is taking the piss now. I feel like NOA dont know what there doing and waiting for the call in japan.

Taking the piss out of whom? They don't care about us here. They want blue ocean, mainstream players. Those people don't likely know the NX is even a thing. Nintendo could wait for a month or two before it launches and start marketting it and it'll just as well (or not) as it would starting now.

Sad? It'd be awesome. I don't ever want to wait for Nintendo to do anything. And if it comes as a leak we'll probably get more information (like specs) than we would otherwise.

Taking the piss out of whom? They don't care about us here. They want blue ocean, mainstream players. Those people don't likely know the NX is even a thing. Nintendo could wait for a month or two before it launches and start marketting it and it'll just as well (or not) as it would starting now.

Sad? It'd be awesome. I don't ever want to wait for Nintendo to do anything. And if it comes as a leak we'll probably get more information (like specs) than we would otherwise.

I'd be sad. We've waited a year and a half just to have it leak?

Malus

I'd be sad. We've waited a year and a half just to have it leak?

I don't mind hardware specs leaking, seeing as how Nintendo doesn't even talk about that stuff anyways. Software stuff is a different story. That's where the real hype is. You don't get live reactions to leaks like you do when everyone's on the edge of their seat watching an unveiling.

Calm Mind

So like all NX threads?

giphy.gif

I don't mind hardware specs leaking, seeing as how Nintendo doesn't even talk about that stuff anyways. Software stuff is a different story. That's where the real hype is. You don't get live reactions to leaks like you do when everyone's on the edge of their seat watching an unveiling.
Yeah, I should say software leaking is a way bigger letdown because that's where the huge audience reaction to first seeing a game makes all the hype.

Man I think I want a combination of E3 2010 and E3 2006. Just seeing so many people surprised to see DKCR bring DKC back or in 2006 all the new games they showed for the Wii. I would love some sort of combination of those E3 presentations.

Has this tweet been brought up yet btw (totally left field): https://twitter.com/PG_y_hashimoto/status/775589169095512064

Not sure how that could tie to NX, but I mean a Bayonetta game might come to the NX right? I think they expressed interest in that.

Are we looking at Bayo 3 or the Wonderful 102. :p

gafneo

Banned
Somewhere in a place where no one cares, a Nintendo executive sits at a desk in a meeting and places the NX on a table.

Office guy: Can you get that stupid thing off the table? I'm discussing collateral topics with my colleagues.

To think, a meaningful device to us is just some distracting disposable garbage thing to some business man who gets a first look way before us and has no appreciation for it.

L Thammy

Has this tweet been brought up yet btw (totally left field): https://twitter.com/PG_y_hashimoto/status/775589169095512064

Not sure how that could tie to NX, but I mean a Bayonetta game might come to the NX right? I think they expressed interest in that.

Maybe I can't read Twitter, what but is this a reply to? I tried clicking that @Ixbran but all I found was bara and furry stuff.

Somewhere in a place where no one cares, a Nintendo executive sits at desk in a meeting and places the NX on a table.

Office guy: Can you get that stupid thing off the table? I'm discussing collateral topics with my colleagues.

To think, a meaningful device to us is just some distracting disposable garbage thing to some business man who gets a first look, way before us and has no appreciation for it.

Who is this fictional executive that's either using a prototype device / dev kit as a coaster or has a retail version of the system lying around for no apparent reason?
Like, did Kimishima ask Foxconn to send him a spare NX to use as a paperweight?

ckfy63a

Maybe I can't read Twitter, what but is this a reply to? I tried clicking that @Ixbran but all I found was bara and furry stuff.

Who is this fictional executive that's either using a prototype device / dev kit as a coaster or has a retail version of the system lying around for no apparent reason?

It's in reply to some CEDEC 2016 (Game Dev awards show that happened between Aug. 24-26) drawing of Bayonetta that Hashimoto posted. The Twitter user asked Hasimoto if he could color it in, to which Hashimoto replied with the Tweet linked.

Someone play devil's advocate and put out my hype...what else could 9/20 be referring to other than the NX reveal?

Astorgh

Somewhere in a place where no one cares, a Nintendo executive sits at desk in a meeting and places the NX on a table.

To think, a meaningful device to us is just some distracting disposable garbage thing to some business man who gets a first look, way before us and has no appreciation for it.

A good bunch of people must know NX's final name, launch games and specs.

And we only (officially) know its code name.

Retrobox

No you're right, finding the reply is hard here. Apparently, the Platinum guy merely wrote this in response to someone posting Bayonetta art? That's what I read when this was linked anyway.

EDIT: Freaking sniped dude, and with a much more detailed reply too <_<

Dystify

It's in reply to some CEDEC 2016 (Game Dev awards show that happened between Aug. 24-26) drawing of Bayonetta that Hashimoto posted. The Twitter user asked Hasimoto if he could color it in, to which Hashimoto replied with the Tweet linked.

Someone play devil's advocate and put out my hype...what else could 9/20 be referring to other than the NX reveal?

Twitter user asked if he could color the drawing by Hashimoto, to which Hashimoto replied with "Look forward to 9/20". This doesn't make much sense to me to be honest. Maybe I'm just too tired though.

Maybe he means he will color the image and post it on 9/20?

Some days ago I was about to open a thread with something like this as the title:

The "I am absolutely sick and tired of NX speculation and rumors" | OT1 | thread

Just to have one place to vent out frustration

But then thought it would get locked or ignored so gave up the idea

WE absolutely need this!

Actually, GAF should shut down all NX topics until a reveal Direct or meeting is formally announced. Let everyone enjoy real tangible products until NX actually materializes.

ggx2ac

Twitter user asked if he could color the drawing by Hashimoto, to which Hashimoto replied with "Look forward to 9/20". This doesn't make much sense to me to be honest. Maybe I'm just too tired though.

Maybe he means he will color the image and post it on 9/20?

Plus, this would be relative to his timezone. It is already 20th of September in Japan. It is 9:15am

L Thammy

WE absolutely need this!

Actually, GAF should shut down all NX topics until a reveal Direct or meeting is formally announced. Let everyone enjoy real tangible products until NX actually materializes.

I think the NX threads should be left open so that everyone that posts in them can be diagnosed.

gafneo

Banned
I think the NX threads should be left open so that everyone that posts in them can be diagnosed.

I diagnose everyone here with AIPD. Addictive Internet Personality Disorder. This disease impairs ones ability to escape social media. They have a dangerous fixation on imaginary sources, desperately craving information that doesn't and will not exist. Their junkie behavior has lead to an unhealthy exposure of radiation poisoning to their brain cells. Deprivation has eliminated their capability to interact in real world situations and has caused developmental delays in their performance at work.

L Thammy

I diagnose everyone here with AIPD. Addictive Internet Personality Disorder. This disease impairs ones ability to escape social media. They have a dangerous fixation on imaginary sources, desperately craving information that doesn't and will not exist. Their junkie behavior has lead to an unhealthy exposure of radiation poisoning to their brain cells. Deprivation has eliminated their capability to interact in real world situations and has caused developmental delays in their performance at work.

I'm going to have to drop the jokes for a moment to point out that I think you're the worst of them - along with the guy who was begging that threads be locked. A lot of the people in this thread are approaching things in a really unhealthy way, but a lot of them aren't, and it's interesting to read what they have to say, at least when there's some new information.

This crap you're spouting wherein all leakers should be ignored because they're uncertain only works when you're incapable of dealing with uncertain information in a reasonable way. It's fairly easy to look at a leak and figure out that it's plausible, that the leaker is in a position where they might have the information, and that the leaker has a history where they have been often right, and where they've been corroborated by other people who are in a similar position. It's also fairly easy to weed out people who are complete unknowns, are saying things that are completely ludicrous, etc., Two pieces of information being unconfirmed does not mean that they are both equally likely. We can still hold a discussion while realizing that the information we're dealing with might be wrong. We can still make cases towards some point or another.

If you can't do that, maybe you're the one who should leave the conversation. I've been saying that some people are getting overly obsessed because I think they are, but the sense that I'm getting is that you're trying to shut down the conversation simply because you don't can't handle it for some reason or other.

EDIT: Hope my overly aggressive post isn't bothersome. gafneo was nice enough to talk things out with me via PM.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I don't think so. The grand majority made their peace with a Tegra X-equivalent.

Well yes, the xXxSuperMarioWiiUFanxXxs and UltraSuperHappyNintendoFanGirls who believed that surely 5th time is the charm and that Nintendo will definitely go with sheer hardware power as their sellingpoint this time based on absolutely nothing will say that the company is dead or whatever.
But who cares about those.

There will still be some meltdowns, especially on Twitter.

1. PSVR "launch hype" won't mean hardly anything. Saving the direct for 2 weeks after PSVR launches would be clear enough away.

2. The Animal Crossing Direct should have little to no effect on this. They could do them the day after and people wouldn't care.

You're missing the point. It's not about being afraid of PSVR or distracting from the AC Direct. It's about optimizing the amount of media attention they get (hence watching out for PSVR), not doing too much at once (hence wanting some distance from the AC Direct), and not competing with themselves for media attention (hence wanting to maximize distance from Pokemon). Late October is a possible but risky time to do it. We also have to remember that they'll have their quarterly meeting at the end of next month and likely would not wand to hold an event that same week, so if there's nothing by the 21st there definitely won't be an event in October.

gafneo

Banned
I'm going to have to drop the jokes for a moment to point out that I think you're the worst of them - along with the guy who was begging that threads be locked. A lot of the people in this thread are approaching things in a really unhealthy way, but a lot of them aren't, and it's interesting to read what they have to say, at least when there's some new information.

This crap you're spouting wherein all leakers should be ignored because they're uncertain only works when you're incapable of dealing with uncertain information in a reasonable way. It's fairly easy to look at a leak and figure out that it's plausible, that the leaker is in a position where they might have the information, and that the leaker has a history where they have been often right, and where they've been corroborated by other people who are in a similar position. It's also fairly easy to weed out people who are complete unknowns, are saying things that are completely ludicrous, etc., Two pieces of information being unconfirmed does not mean that they are both equally likely. We can still hold a discussion while realizing that the information we're dealing with might be wrong. We can still make cases towards some point or another.

If you can't do that, maybe you're the one who should leave the conversation. I've been saying that some people are getting overly obsessed because I think they are, but the sense that I'm getting is that you're trying to shut down the conversation simply because you don't can't handle it for some reason or other.

Oh, did you mean the people should be diagnosed or the tread topics? Whoops

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It cant be something much seeing as how if it has something to do with NX, they would have put out a press release like a week ago saying that something was happening on 9/20 which is literally tomorrow

GamerJM

Banned
It cant be something much seeing as how if it has something to do with NX, they would have put out a press release like a week ago saying that something was happening on 9/20 which is literally tomorrow

I think tomorrow is just an announcement of an announcement tbh (and even that's just wishful thinking)

maxcriden

Well the NDA also implies they will not be talking about it ASAP regardless of what it is

Depends how who they're meeting with, I think. The lower down the totem pole you go, the higher chance of a leak, I imagine. Personally I'd prefer no more leaks so I selfishly want Nintendo to reveal details only to those who will keep the NDA.

This thing is gonna all boil down to price. I remember Nintendo got stung hard by the launch price of 3DS in 2011. People did not go for the $249 retail on a handheld, especially with the horrible, horrible launch lineup. I remember I didn't even buy one until at least Ocarina 3D came out, so there was something decent to play. I just wonder how Nintendo is gonna play this with price. Conceivably, for something that is both a handheld and a console, it has a little more wiggle room than the normal threshold of handheld prices. But, it still has to be cheap enough for parents to buy it for their kids. But, it has to be powerful enough to run Breath of the Wild. I just don't know what to expect from it. I mean, the New 3DS runs $199, and it's old hardware, minus the head-tracking camera in the front. I'm sure the price on that is inflated a little, but still. The next gen Nintendo system is only gonna be $50 more than the New 3DS? lol.

I do not envy their position. Too low, and people think it's weak and not capable. Too high, and it's way too expensive and "how can kids afford to get this thing?"

Well, that gets back to my comparison to Sony realizing that the PS4 was healthy and the PSV wasn't, so they axed the PSV and threw full support behind PS4.

Nintendo is doing the opposite. The 3DS is the most successful dedicated video system on the market at 60 million units to the PS4's ~42 million, and while the PS4 will eventually overtake it, it's unclear whether the XBox1 even by the end of its lifespan will touch the 3DS. The Wii U, by comparison, has been a disaster.

Why bank on a successor to the Wii U when you can bank on a successor to the 3DS, a system that is still selling large amounts of software despite being absolutely archaic? The NX is going to be the largest jump over the 3DS in system generational jump history...its GPU is going to be something like 100x stronger than the 3DS' and, given the 3DS' ridiculously weak CPU, that measure is probably even more ridiculous. Nintendo's portable is going to go from a 240p system that struggles to match the PS2 (with, admittedly, far more RAM than the PS2), to a 720p system that more than doubles the PS3 (with far more RAM than the PS3).

This strategy makes a ton of sense and is probably the only successful route Nintendo could take. The DS was indisputably its most successful system of all time (as much as people ignore it when they talk about the "Wii Era," the DS was even more important). Just as the DS pioneered a lot of stuff that cell phones later took advantage of, Nintendo could take advantage of the current widespread proliferation of tablets to market a larger, non-pocket-based handheld and stuff some actual computing power into it. I don't see why a Nintendo tablet with compelling software couldn't reach wide market proliferation, presumably with software like Cooking Mama and Nintendogs revived to help push it as a "more than a gaming tablet" into more conventional households.

Several of Nintendo's best titles ever are things like Brain Age and Nintendogs which don't even really qualify as video games. Brain Age is one of my favorite titles anyone has ever put out and, as much as people on NeoGAF sneer at it, I think it and Nintendogs have serious potential as fronts in Nintendo's push back towards the mainstream. Enough time has passed that people can be persuaded by a nostalgia push towards them.

This will be a very risky move from Nintendo if they really decide to left the home console business with NX. Most western 3rd parties nowadays dedicate their efforts mostly on competitive, high-end hardware. They have been ignoring the portable market since the late DS days mostly, despite the high userbase (and potential sales) from systems like DS, PSP and 3DS. If it is a portable that you can play on TV, it'll hardly manage to attract the home console audience. Home console players like to high-end, high-performance graphics on the TV. This is the standard set by PS4/XBO's market. Nintendo will lag behind them if they bet on underwhelming hardware, whatever the gimmick or unique gameplay idea they introduce. This happened with Wii (in it's late life mostly when the hardware difference between it and the HD twins became clear) and Wii U. It won't work again. This is painful for some, but the gaming market prefers hardware performance over unique and innovating gameplay. Wii's unfortunate premature death is clear. Nintendo also tried to rely on it's GBA's library to boost GCN's sales with the Game Boy Player. It didn't work. Portable players don't want to play portable games on the TV and home console players doesn't care about it, either. Only a niche market will want to play portable games on the TV.

"Why bank on a successor of Wii U?" Because home console gaming is where it lies most of the dedicated gaming audience and where most gaming devs dedicate their efforts. Mobile might be growing, but the center of gaming industry is home consoles. Nintendo abdicating this market will forfeit a market they're huge responsibles for exist in the first place, as they still have a strong name and presence, despite the recent Wii U failure. It was their lame hardware decisions, beting on unique gaming at expense of hardware performance under the creed they can't compete against Sony and MS (which is bullshit, because Nintendo manage to turn around against Genesis, was selling almost head on against PSX in it's initial years and owned the competition in Wii's early years), that repelled the market and support away from it.

Also, becoming portable only won't make Nintendo exempt of competition, either. They'll face mobile competition, a market Nintendo itself is supporting. They're aware the casual market they had with Wii and tried to attract with Wii U migrated to mobiles, hence their decision to go there. Whatever the way they choose, they can't escape competition. If they can't afford (or don't want) to compete, they should leave the hardware market and become a software only dev. I think your vision supports Nintendo's defeatism.

Make sure that Nintendo is far, far more remembered for games like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong and Pokémon than Brain Age and Nintendogs. It's identity was built thanks to them. Yes, games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brain Age and Nintendogs might have sold better than all of them, but they underperformed on 3DS and Wii U. Sales not always translate into legacy.

ggx2ac

October 4th is apparently when Google show off their new Pixel Phone.

Welp, looks like Nintendo can't reveal the NX then. Guess we'll be waiting for November.

it's a joke, for those that can't see the subtlety

Avixph

Welp, looks like Nintendo can't reveal the NX then. Guess we'll be waiting for November.

What if the new Pixel Phone is the NX?

Speely

Banned

I love how you have taken to expaining yourself because of how crazy these NX threads have gotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom