• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
something I don't understand out of all of this.

why are we expecting news "in the next hours"??

for starters, the people invited have NDAs and even if someone would leak stuff, couldn't that happen in 1 week or even 2?

what's with this unfounded news hype?

Mr Swine

Banned

for starters, the people invited have NDAs and even if someone would leak stuff, couldn't that happen in 1 week or even 2?

People here want NX news so badly that they will hype anything, they will hype it out if Reggie announcing he will take a poop this evening and people thinking that it's NX related

I mean most people in this thread know very well that we will not get any infos today. Thinking about it, IF they really talk about the NX then it probably will be about the reveal and release, like "make your websites and servers ready, we will reveal the NX in October on xth and preorder can go live then" so MAYBE we will get a leak concerning the reveal or release date, but I dont think anything more substantial will come out

What stuck out the most to me when I was listening to the podcast was when Peer said the detachable controllers are "cheap", and that they wouldn't be the only way to play games.

What stuck out the most to me when I was listening to the podcast was when Peer said the detachable controllers are "cheap", and that they wouldn't be the only way to play games.

There is a Just Dance demo on the Wii U eShop which refers to a downloadable app to use your smartphone as a controller...

Sadist

I assume Nintendo will offer a Classic Controller option for the NX.

Don't like the detachable ones? Buy the other one.

sphinx

the piano man
People are clinging to this rumor that NX will be revealed around September 20th.

oh I see.

but even then... isn't everything like too quiet for them to reveal anything out of the blue?

I'd guess Nintendo will announce a Direct to reveal the NX and we would have to wait a week or two and that's that. They need to get the hype machine starting first.

I don't see nintendo announced anything today.

People here want NX news so badly that they will hype anything, they will hype it out if Reggie announcing he will take a poop this evening and people thinking that it's NX related

Reggie on twitter: "Dear followers, guess where I am going NeXt? to take a dump! what surprises can that hold for the future?"

Fans: "OMG,".

I mean most people in this thread know very well that we will not get any infos today. Thinking about it, IF they really talk about the NX then it probably will be about the reveal and release, like "make your websites and servers ready, we will reveal the NX in October on xth and preorder can go live then" so MAYBE we will get a leak concerning the reveal or release date, but I dont think anything more substantial will come out

This sums it up

This is how I know some of this community has absolutely zero inkling of the actual gaming market conditions and defines it in a bubble.

Both mobile and PC are far larger and more successful and profitable than the (shrinking btw) traditional console market.

Not to mention the fact that western Aaa third parties aren't the be all end all of game production.

How is PC market "far larger" than home consoles? There's very few big AAA titles being made exclusively for PC right now - outside form indies and KS projects, and many are ported to consoles - most of former PC devs migrated or started developing for home consoles, and PC versions from big AAA third-parties, despite having better graphics and customization, doesn't sell anywhere close to their console counterpart. You live in a fantasy world if you believe otherwise.

If you think that big AAA third-parties aren't crucial to any home console support nowadays and that the west isn't the reference for modern development, who is then? Japanese devs? Indie devs? Mobile devs? Please...

And even if you believe that they are, they won't be publishing or porting the games you seem to want to the Nintendo device anyway, regardless of power, for a variety of reasons. Even if Nintendo literally put a label on a Scorpio and sold it for 149.99. That just isn't reality.

I told and explained on my previous post on why third-parties wouldn't support an underperforming hardware, but you seems to jump into conclusion that third-parties aren't going to support Nintendo whatever they do. That's silly. If Nintendo manages to make something with the necessary requisites from big third-parites to create an ecosystem and sell their games, they will support it. There's no such thing as "grudge" in the gaming industry, as your argument is probably leading to.

How is PC market "far larger" than home consoles? There's very few big AAA titles being made exclusively for PC right now - outside form indies and KS projects, and many are ported to consoles - most of former PC devs migrated or started developing for home consoles, and PC versions from big AAA third-parties, despite having better graphics and customization, doesn't sell anywhere close to their console counterpart. You live in a fantasy world if you believe otherwise.

If you think that big AAA third-parties aren't crucial to any home console support nowadays and that the west isn't the reference for modern development, who is then? Japanese devs? Indie devs? Mobile devs? Please...

here's a drinking game that'll get ya killed

take a shot every time someone acts like "big AAA games" are the only games that matter at all, every single time this subject comes up on GAF

here's a drinking game that'll get ya killed

take a shot every time someone acts like "big AAA games" are the only games that matter at all, every single time this subject comes up on GAF

I'm not saying they are everything, but their support is definitively crucial for a home console to succeed nowadays. Wii U lost them and we know the story. Sure, other games are very important indeed, not trying to dismiss them, but big AAA titles can't just be ignored by any hardware maker in order to rely on first-party efforts or restricted support alone. Before someone shows up and says Wii and 3DS relied on Nintendo's library alone, that's not true. Both have a consistent third-party catalog, despite being overlooked by some devs, nowhere near the hollow wasteland that Wii U is.

Only in Japan would I even close to consider the third party support for 3DS consistent. In the west the 3DS third party lineup is a damn wasteland. And the Wii missed out on almost every major multiplatform title that generation.

Portable market is a wasteland for western devs. Neither 3DS or Vita managed to attract them. Nintendo has, in practice, monopoly over the portable market at the moment, so it doesn't really matter if they have support or not, they're the only option.

Sure, Wii lost most of HD multiplatform titles, but still they managed to have a solid third-party userbase. Companies like Ubisoft and EA had profits with Wii.

Wii U is complete wasteland in all fronts.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm not saying they are everything, but their support is most definitively crucial for a home console to succeed nowadays. Wii U lost them and we know the story. Sure, other games are very important indeed, not trying to dismiss them, but big AAA titles can't just be ignored by any hardware maker in order to rely first-party efforts or restricted support alone. Before someone shows up and says Wii and 3DS relied on Nintendo's library alone, that's not true. Both have a consistent third-party catalog, despite being overlooked by some devs, nowhere near the hollow wasteland that Wii U is.
Only in Japan would I even close to consider the third party support for 3DS consistent. In the west the 3DS third party lineup is a damn wasteland. And the Wii missed out on almost every major multiplatform title that generation.

Pif

Banned
So if a reveal doesn't happen this month, can we assume the eurogamer report was bullshit?

I'm now back at thinking NX is not a portable hybrid anymore.

oti

Banned
I hope Nintendo will also reboot its IPs. Breath of the Wild is a reboot, Mario 3D is supposed to get a reboot. Retro Studios must work on a Metroid Prime reboot, right? Mario Kart could get a reboot (like MK8 but way more Nintendo characters aka Nintendo Kart), Mario Party needs Online OH MY GOD PLEASE REBOOT THIS, both Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario are ready for a reboot as well.

Nibel

So if a reveal doesn't happen this month, can we assume the eurogamer report was bullshit?

They might have been off on the September reveal, but everything else has been confirmed by other people with different sources as well. GAF needs to accept that this will be an hybrid device and that there won't be another console for now

I bet the issues right now are with the presentation itself than with the NX

oti

Banned

giphy.gif

Genio88

If they mistaken the reveal date that doesn't mean the rumor is completely false, we've been hearing too many other rumors about hybrid console, cartridges, Tegra architecture etc, so i think that part is true

Malus

Nintendo, bring back F Zero

Peace & Love

Ringo

Nah we need all resources poured into a gritty survival horror Ice Climbers.

No, it's not strange for reports to get some details right and some wrong, especially as the details come from different and varying number of sources. The September reveal was from 1 source and not nearly as corroborated by other outlets as the rest of the report. It's also the most easily changed detail, as Nintendo can easily push back a reveal date but not so much shift direction in hardware mere months away from launch.

Not all, things change all the time. Rumours, information etc etc maybe second hand, or old information, or just proposed ideas. Or they just decided to change the reveal date etc.

Not all incorrect information is false information.

Retrobox

I hope Nintendo will also reboot its IPs. Breath of the Wild is a reboot, Mario 3D is supposed to get a reboot. Retro Studios must work on a Metroid Prime reboot, right? Mario Kart could get a reboot (like MK8 but way more Nintendo characters aka Nintendo Kart), Mario Party needs Online OH MY GOD PLEASE REBOOT THIS, both Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario are ready for a reboot as well.

Laughed when I read Metroid. Pretty sure "any (ostensibly good) game at all" would be enough to get those fans going. Let alone a successful reboot.

Though with the rather peculiar situation of that series, perhaps a reboot is actually exactly what is needed!

Nah we need all resources poured into a gritty survival horror Ice Climbers.

Ice Climbers at its heart is a FPS whose tone is inspired by John Carpenters The Thing

Gyro mite also needs to come back, I feel Nintendo needs a Michael Bay style third person shooter with robots

Malus

Mario Party needs to get rid of those stupid cars and ridiculous focus on dice rolling.

Paper Mario already went under a reboot and look what it did lol.

McHuj

Why? A reveal date can change at any point in time especially if whatever software they want to show isn't ready.

Nah, we have enough boring games that take themselves too seriously.

Please don't ever be involved in an F-Zero. A pinch of generic Fast Neo on F-Zero?

Nintendo pls ban this man from F-Zero and the NX.

Boooo, BOOO YOU GUYS.
I'm all for originality, but F-ZERO GX was actually held back by the story elements and daft CG cut scenes. Don't scrap the characters, necessarily, just refine them and their backgrounds, and keep the focus on the high speed racing and superb mechanics that the series is known for.

I mean, really - go back and look at some of the character designs in GX, and I challenge you not to cringe just a little bit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Mario Party needs to get rid of those stupid cars and ridiculous focus on dice rolling.

Paper Mario already went under a reboot and look what it did lol.

Star Rush which comes out in November has no cars and looks like a complete reboot.

Übermatik;217477619 said:
Boooo, BOOO YOU GUYS.
I'm all for originality, but F-ZERO GX was actually held back by the story elements and daft CG cut scenes. Don't scrap the characters, necessarily, just refine them and their backgrounds, and keep the focus on the high speed racing and superb mechanics that the series is known for.

I mean, really - go back and look at some of the character designs in GX, and I challenge you not to cringe just a little bit.

Just remake the original SNES game, nice visuals, 60fps, download title, 20-25 bucks, test the waters and see how it does.

Rodin

One thing being wrong in a report doesn't mean that the entire report was wrong. We have tons of credible sources saying it's a hybrid, so unless trinen trolled everyone by having NoA employees send false leaks, it's going to be exactly that.

Something that bugs me about the silence from Nintendo is how bad they treat current Nintendo fans. They are sitting at home, looking at their dusty failure of a wiiu, wondering why Nintendo abandoned them.

Why would they put their trust in Nintendo products again after that?

Malus

Star Rush which comes out in November has no cars and looks like a complete reboot.

Oh neat. Don't have a 3DS anymore though, and I'd need to find out whether it has all those silly dice rolling minigames still. I liked Mario Party up through 7 (8 was just weird though it doesn't have the problems of the recent ones).

Something that bugs me about the silence from Nintendo is how bad they treat current Nintendo fans. They are sitting at home, looking at their dusty failure of a wiiu, wondering why Nintendo abandoned them.

I'm doing just fine lol

They're gearing up for the new gen, like always.

Sadist

There is always 3DS

*continues playing Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice*

We can safely assume that Iwata wouldn't have let this silence take over Nintendo. But I have faith in the new direction they're taking.

random25

You forgot the word kappa somewhere there.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

As someone who considers the Vita to be my favourite platform of the current generation, Wii U fans have no fucking idea what it really feels like to be abandoned. Believe it or not, Wii U fans got it good.

Hermii

Then they remember the fun times they had playing Bayonetta 2, MK8, Smash 4 etc and think "thats why".

AniHawk

nintendo supported the wii u long after it made sense financially. that they are throwing first-party games onto the machine in 2016 is a little surprising when they could have gone full-force with the 3ds in 2014 and bolstered their handheld brand leading into nx. the saturn, dreamcast, and ps vita didn't make it this far with first-party support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom