• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be a very risky move from Nintendo if they really decide to left the home console business with NX. Most western 3rd parties nowadays dedicate their efforts mostly on competitive, high-end hardware. They have been ignoring the portable market since the late DS days mostly, despite the high userbase (and potential sales) from systems like DS, PSP and 3DS. If it is a portable that you can play on TV, it'll hardly manage to attract the home console audience. Home console players like to high-end, high-performance graphics on the TV. This is the standard set by PS4/XBO's market. Nintendo will lag behind them if they bet on underwhelming hardware, whatever the gimmick or unique gameplay idea they introduce. This happened with Wii (in it's late life mostly when the hardware difference between it and the HD twins became clear) and Wii U. It won't work again. This is painful for some, but the gaming market prefers hardware performance over unique and innovating gameplay. Wii's unfortunate premature death is clear. Nintendo also tried to rely on it's GBA's library to boost GCN's sales with the Game Boy Player. It didn't work. Portable players don't want to play portable games on the TV and home console players doesn't care about it, either. Only a niche market will want to play portable games on the TV.

"Why bank on a successor of Wii U?" Because home console gaming is where it lies most of the dedicated gaming audience and where most gaming devs dedicate their efforts. Mobile might be growing, but the center of gaming industry is home consoles. Nintendo abdicating this market will forfeit a market they're huge responsibles for exist in the first place, as they still have a strong name and presence, despite the recent Wii U failure. It was their lame hardware decisions, beting on unique gaming at expense of hardware performance under the creed they can't compete against Sony and MS (which is bullshit, because Nintendo manage to turn around against Genesis, was selling almost head on against PSX in it's initial years and owned the competition in Wii's early years), that repelled the market and support away from it.

Also, becoming portable only won't make Nintendo exempt of competition, either. They'll face mobile competition, a market Nintendo itself is supporting. They're aware the casual market they had with Wii and tried to attract with Wii U migrated to mobiles, hence their decision to go there. Whatever the way they choose, they can't escape competition. If they can't afford (or don't want) to compete, they should leave the hardware market and become a software only dev. I think your vision supports Nintendo's defeatism.

Make sure that Nintendo is far, far more remembered for games like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong and Pokémon than Brain Age and Nintendogs. It's identity was built thanks to them. Yes, games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brain Age and Nintendogs might have sold better than all of them, but they underperformed on 3DS and Wii U. Sales not always translate into legacy.

This is how I know some of this community has absolutely zero inkling of the actual gaming market conditions and defines it in a bubble.

Both mobile and PC are far larger and more successful and profitable than the (shrinking btw) traditional console market.

Not to mention the fact that western Aaa third parties aren't the be all end all of game production. And even if you believe that they are, they won't be publishing or porting the games you seem to want to the Nintendo device anyway, regardless of power, for a variety of reasons. Even if Nintendo literally put a label on a Scorpio and sold it for 149.99. That just isn't reality.

J@hranimo

Banned
Man, whenever this is revealed I cannot wait to see the OS and how (hopefully) slick and intuitive it could be. I'm tired of slogging through this Wii U menu man :X

udivision

Remember when the difference between Optimism Nintendo and Pessimism Nintendo was "they're definitely going to reveal it before E3! Like Sony and MS!" and "We're not going to see the NX until E3, I bet."

Those were the days.

Nanashrew

Banned
Clearly something is in the air. My car battery died and I likely won't make my appointment tomorrow so some cosmic force must want to me stay home and see something.

ggx2ac

For relevance.

958239.jpg

961676.jpg

964379.jpg

965013.jpg

Maxinas

Maybe Nintendo has finally realized the US is a lot more important of a market for game consoles than Japan and is waiting for it to be morning on the east coast for the announcement. Everyone else can wait :^)

Speely

Banned
I really have to hand it to Nintendo. They are so goddamn good at keeping their secrets until they decide reveal them. I, for one, love them for that. Fall is going to be epic.

I really have to hand it to Nintendo. They are so goddamn good at keeping their secrets until they decide reveal them. I, for one, love them for that. Fall is going to be epic.

Its probably easier to keep things secret when barely anyone outside of Japan knows of it, including 3rd parties >_<

DpadD

Banned
Here's my first party launch prediction:

Day One:

Smash 4
Zelda BOTW
Animal Crossing
Mario Maker
Mario Sports Mix

Within 6 months of launch:

3D Mario
New Retro IP
Metroid game
Pokemon 3D adventure
Pikmin 4

I wanted to ask Capcom announced a Monster Hunter title is releasing by the end of the fiscal year (March 2017); do you think it's for NX?

I think a new Monster Hunter for NX launch makes so much sense for Japan and it would make sense if it's one of those games Kimishima wanted at launch so he made sure NX is coming out next year instead of this holiday.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Day One:

Smash 4
Zelda BOTW
3D Donkey Kong
Animal Crossing
Mario Maker
Mario Sports Mix

3D Mario
New Retro IP
Metroid game
Pokemon 3D adventure
That's a fucking ridiculous launch lineup. No way they'd blow their load like that. Releases would be spaced out. It's more likely we get a showcase new IP for launch alongside Zelda, a Smash port and some smaller titles. Something like Animal Crossing or a 3D DK revival would be way too big of releases to not give them their own space throughout the year.

klier

Maybe Nintendo has finally realized the US is a lot more important of a market for game consoles than Japan and is waiting for it to be morning on the east coast for the announcement. Everyone else can wait :^)

Except the EU is a bigger market.

Day One:

Smash 4
Zelda BOTW
3D Donkey Kong
Animal Crossing
Mario Maker
Mario Sports Mix

3D Mario
New Retro IP
Metroid game
Pokemon 3D adventure

And Pikmin 4?

Or are we now saying Pikmin is that 3DS game??

DpadD

Banned
That's a fucking ridiculous launch lineup. No way they'd blow their load like that. Releases would be spaced out. It's more likely we get a showcase new IP for launch alongside Zelda, a Smash port and some smaller titles. Something like Animal Crossing or a 3D DK revival would be way too big of releases to not give them their own space throughout the year.

And Pikmin 4?

Or are we now saying Pikmin is that 3DS game??

Lol good points, edited. I remain firm on seeing Animal Crossing on launch day though.

So IF we get any news today, we will hear in the next 2-4 hours about them.

Why would you think that? its 10:38am in Germany, I guess if the meeting is taking place today it probably started at 9 or 10? and it will probably go until 4pm, so 5 hours until it ends, and if those NDAs are strict you will get info in the evening maybe, if someone got the balls to leak a bit...

At the moment I am playing, for the first time... At my age of 39 yo... Zelda Lttp.
Needless to say I'm having a blissful gaming time. Then I come to these paranoid threads and... While it is fun to talk crap about things we know nothing... It worries me that people may spend here too long and therefore miss the point.

Do yourself a favour and enjoy some gaming playfulness :D

Why would you think that? its 10:38am in Germany, I guess if the meeting is taking place today it probably started at 9 or 10? and it will probably go until 4pm, so 5 hours until it ends, and if those NDAs are strict you will get info in the evening maybe, if someone got the balls to leak a bit...

I mean if we get any official news today. Normally we get a tweet or something like that around 2 pm here in germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom