• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retrobox

Yeah, but that clearly didn't work with the Wii U. I think that's why this is more of a handheld- they consistently do pretty well in that market.

I dunno man, most of the time the Wii U doesn't even use the gamepad for anything meaningful so you are basically 75% stuck with an archaic console and little else.

If the gamepad had been implemented better and had "clicked" with consumers (for example with Mario Maker at launch for the "oh I see why the gamepad exists" effect) then the Wii U would have been able to stand its ground. I fully believe that.

Sean

Banned
i think the idea is to have both "budget" portable type games and AAA on the system. though it may not play out that way

That would be the best case scenario, but I'm not confident it'll play out that way.

If you think about it, the NX is almost certainly going to launch with Zelda. An AAA game that's been in development for 5+ years with a massive team. It's already setting the bar super high to where customers might have unrealistic expectations of what the average NX game should be like.

Same goes for any other projects that started on Wii U and were moved to NX like Retro's new game and probably a bunch more. Nintendo first party will have a big headstart with console-quality games that have been in development for years, and it'll be hard for the average handheld studio to compete with that IMO. I think a lot of the smaller studios will eventually transfer to mobile.

L Thammy

Yeah, but that clearly didn't work with the Wii U. I think that's why this is more of a handheld- they consistently do pretty well in that market.

I don't think "another Xbox/Playstation" means "a system significantly weaker than its competitors with an unconventional controller and no new features aimed at the existing Xbox/Playstation crowd".

Davey Cakes

I think a lot of the smaller studios will eventually transfer to mobile.
I'm hoping Nintendo puts it on themselves (at least somewhat) to foster continued small studio and indie content on their full-fledged platform.

I say this as someone who doesn't particularly care for mobile gaming, so I'm obviously in the minority. But, in my heart, I dream for a console/handheld that can successfully support A-tier, b-tier, c-tier (mostly serving niches and dedicated fanbases), and indie experiences on a device resembling a full-fledged game console.

Nintendo could really be the ones to embrace the niche gaming audience in a way that no gaming company has done before. It would easily become their strong suit within a market racing for clear console and mobile winners. Gaining that middle ground would be incredible.

pixelation

I foolishly hope that this is all wrong and Nintendo has been working on a home console that rivals the PS4/XBO boxes, i am gonna be sooo disappointed when the NX is finally revealed... T_T

Galava

I foolishly hope that this is all wrong and Nintendo has been working on a home console that rivals the PS4/XBO boxes, i am gonna be sooo disappointed when the NX is finally revealed... T_T

Entering the xbone/ps4 competition would be a death sentence for Nintendo or any other company. Nintendo needs to be different, and power won't make them achieve that.

I'm sorry but I can't understand people who want this. I mean if that would be the case it's better for us that Nintendo goes third party... having to buy 3 machines that are the same just to play software exclusives isn't a good scenery for us consumers at all IMO.

Malus

Entering the xbone/ps4 competition would be a death sentence for Nintendo or any other company. Nintendo needs to be different.

Doesn't make me any less sad about the rumored power range :(

A $200 pricetag would soften the blow.

This system is sounded like everything I wanted from Nintendo and the smartest move for them, but again, it's all down to execution. They don't have the best track record lately but here's to hoping.

They also need to start the reveal and hype train sooner rather than later.

You want another $300+ box that does exactly the same as 2 other boxes with less games?

Just be excited at the idea of ALL OF NINTENDOS future software on ONE machine. That is dope as fuck.

Malus

You want another $300+ box that does exactly the same as 2 other boxes with less games?

Just be excited at the idea of ALL OF NINTENDOS future software on ONE machine. That is dope as fuck.

Why does it have to be exactly the same as the other consoles? You can experiment with ideas while still having a powerful machine. PSVR, Kinect, Wiimotes weren't expensive so the Wii could have been powerful if Nintendo wanted it to be. Hell, remember the eyetoy? Good times.

It's just a matter of Nintendo wanting to appeal to a lower price market. I am excited about the hybrid element at least. Both from a games standpoint as well as the flexible portable functionality.

gafneo

Banned
Compared to Wii, Wii U seemed a veer back to the "normal" console type--just shittily done.

Well the idea of the merger between console and handheld divisions is to correct that exact mistake. Now they get to appease all kinds of gamers. You want the graphics, the controllers, you want the casual? Why not have it all?

I'm thinking a good way to bring both types of gamers together is to design modes into bundles.

Gamer mode: Perfect for the online and solo players who like performance and challenge
Casual mode: Mini games, motion, touch, scoreboards, microtransactions

They can package these into one $60 game and also offer an amiibo, dlc for $90. Option 2, sell casual and gamer modes for $30 a piece, but then unlock either mode at anytime.

Can't wait to see how much of all this (rumors, patents, etc.) makes it to the final product.

Whatever the case, when it comes to controls I trust Nintendo 100%.

Also

Since this is the new -weekly- NX/Nintendo thread I'll just post it here.

Trying to access the "Games" section of Retro Studio's site returns an error.

Code:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[' in E:\web\retrost1\wp-content\themes\wlion\template-games.php on line 60

Not sure how long it's been like this, but I'm sure it was working a couple of months ago.

They are probably adding new content ;P

On mobile so I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, but I wanted to call out a comment. OP lists a conversation about Just Dance meaning the NX has hardware that supports that game. The latest versions of that game work in tandem with a free smartphone app, not console hardware. I'm not saying the NX won't have any gimmicks, but Just Dance being on the platform tells us nothing.

Nothing prevented mature, complex games being made for Wii either (and it had a few of that), yet the majority of developers made casual games because they felt it was the audience and identity of the console.
The combining of markets in this regard should be something interesting to see. Sell a hundred million consoles and Wii still couldn't get numbered Final Fantasy games or any Grand Theft Auto games while DS could. Make them the same device and all of a sudden a portable 3D Final Fantasy V remake for the Nintendo portable means a 3D Final Fantasy V remake for the Nintendo home console.

Cerium

Code:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[' in E:\web\retrost1\wp-content\themes\wlion\template-games.php on line 60

Not sure how long it's been like this, but I'm sure it was working a couple of months ago.

It's been a while since Tropical Freeze we're definitely due for a new announcement alongside the NX.

MoonFrog

It's been a while since Tropical Freeze we're definitely due for a new announcement alongside the NX.

Moreover, wasn't TF a delayed release that was pretty much ready for late 2013 but pushed to early 2014 to space releases out?

If it were standard Retro calendar, you'd think they'd be ready for this coming Holiday. I'm guessing we tack a year plus onto that for whatever reason and get Retro's game either Holiday 2017 or early 2018.

rekameohs

Banned

Code:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[' in E:webretrost1wp-contentthemeswliontemplate-games.php on line 60

I went to that site a couple weeks ago since ReCore was to be released, so I looked up some history of Armature and Retro, and there wasn't an error.

ChaosXVI

Can't wait to see how much of all this (rumors, patents, etc) makes it to the final product.

Also

Code:

I feel pretty confident that whenever the NX is revealed, Retro's new game will be revealed alongside it. Tropical Freeze ended development back in November 2013, despite being released in February. Though I doubt this little error really means anything...unfortunately.

Can't wait to see how much of all this (rumors, patents, etc) makes it to the final product.

Also

Code:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[' in E:webretrost1wp-contentthemeswliontemplate-games.php on line 60

Unexpected "["? Unexpected 🍌?

Orbis

This system is sounded like everything I wanted from Nintendo and the smartest move for them, but again, it's all down to execution. They don't have the best track record lately but here's to hoping.

They also need to start the reveal and hype train sooner rather than later.
Yes please. There are several other gaming systems launching or announced and Nintendo really need to steal some of that thunder by getting NX into the public domain. A general date, an idea of what it actually is, a brand, and some probable launch titles.

Might be enough to make people think twice about a PS4 Pro, or a PSVR, or upgrading their graphics card, or waiting for Scorpio, or picking up a PS4 slim or a One S. Until something concrete is announced, a new Nintendo console doesn't even exist in the minds of the general consumer.

I appreciate that some people live in a bubble where these things don't matter, but they genuinely do. Nintendo faces tough competition with this device, whatever it ends up being.

Now what I've heard so far makes me think I'll love it, a powerful handheld with the ability to dock to a TV, with Nintendo's traditionally awesome lineup of games. The idea of being able to take their full console quality games on the go is fantastic. Yeah, so maybe we'll be compromising slightly on what this could do if it was another PS4/XB1, but we don't need another graphical powerhouse out there. That specific area is catered for. As it happens I'm also a PC gamer who wants a GTX 1080, I want to game with crazy visuals on crazy hardware but I'd also be over the moon with a 720p handheld which has great support and great games. And on the subject of visuals, I play Mario Kart 8 and the visual package is gorgeous, and that's on a weak ass Wii U.

Nintendo can pull this off. Just need to announce the damn thing!

Instro

Entering the xbone/ps4 competition would be a death sentence for Nintendo or any other company. Nintendo needs to be different, and power won't make them achieve that.

They're competing with them regardless. Offering an option for their customers that care about their games not looking like poop hardly changes that.

I always giggle when people use the example of the xbone being announced fairly close to release because that's the ONE console that could have greatly benefitted from being revealed earlier, because then teh 180 would have happened earlier, and who knows what would have happened then.

You need time to course correct on the little things post reveal and also to drive hype in pre-orders with steady announcements all the way until launch day. Momentum in the vidya industry is absolutely everything.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the only reason they haven't shown it yet is because the software they want to show isn't ready but we're past the halfway point of september already...

21XX

Banned
Yes please. There are several other gaming systems launching or announced and Nintendo really need to steal some of that thunder by getting NX into the public domain. A general date, an idea of what it actually is, a brand, and some probable launch titles.

Might be enough to make people think twice about a PS4 Pro, or a PSVR, or upgrading their graphics card, or waiting for Scorpio, or picking up a PS4 slim or a One S. Until something concrete is announced, a new Nintendo console doesn't even exist in the minds of the general consumer.

I appreciate that some people live in a bubble where these things don't matter, but they genuinely do. Nintendo faces tough competition with this device, whatever it ends up being.

Now what I've heard so far makes me think I'll love it, a powerful handheld with the ability to dock to a TV, with Nintendo's traditionally awesome lineup of games. The idea of being able to take their full console quality games on the go is fantastic. Yeah, so maybe we'll be compromising slightly on what this could do if it was another PS4/XB1, but we don't need another graphical powerhouse out there. That specific area is catered for. As it happens I'm also a PC gamer who wants a GTX 1080, I want to game with crazy visuals on crazy hardware but I'd also be over the moon with a 720p handheld which has great support and great games. And on the subject of visuals, I play Mario Kart 8 and the visual package is gorgeous, and that's on a weak ass Wii U.

I know what you're saying, but I don't think technical upgrades to existing consoles have nearly as much mindshare as you think they do. Not saying Nintendo can afford to keep waiting (I think it'll be revealed next month, personally), but I think the average person who doesn't pay a ridiculous amount of attention to these things isn't paying too much attention to the Pro or Scorpio. It's almost a tougher marketing road ahead for Microsoft and Sony. At Nintendo has the advantage of the NX being something completely new and not lost in the marketing mud of "well, it's a new console, but not, but yes!"

Orbis

It's almost a tougher marketing road ahead for Microsoft and Sony. At Nintendo has the advantage of the NX being something completely new and not lost in the marketing mud of "well, it's a new console, but not, but yes!"
I suppose you're right there, I guess time will tell just how interested people are in the incremental consoles. And I think you're right on an October reveal, I just think it would be quite beneficial it does indeed happen in that sort of timeframe to get the brand out there before the holiday season.

AzaK

If this console doesn't blow everyone away it is going to be hugely deflating. You can't build tension like this and not deliver in a VERY big way.

Noone's built tension but the people here themselves. Nintendo has said nothing and promised nothing. DO NOT be surprised when you don't get what your imagination creates.

All this sounds like from current rumours and leaks is a handheld with cheap clip on controllers running at 720 in HH and docked mode. That doesn't excite me much.

Peterc

Can't wait to see how much of all this (rumors, patents, etc.) makes it to the final product.

Whatever the case, when it comes to controls I trust Nintendo 100%.

Also

Code:

It's from WordPress php error. Maybe for json missing a ]. Shouldn't be hard to fix.

5min

Speely

Banned
"NX, you know we belong together.
I have no time for you to be playing with my heart like this.
You'll be mine forever, Ninty, you just see.

We belong together,
And you know that I'm hype.
Why do you play with my heart?
Why do you play with my mind?

Some said we'd see in September
From sources who never lied.
How could you be rumored and tease me
With never a reveal supplied?

When I can't sleep at night without holding you close,
NX, each time I try I just break down and post.
Pain in my head oh I'd rather be dead...
Spinnin' around and around...

Although we've come to Nintend'o the road
Still I can't let you go.
It's unnatural, you belong to me, I belong to you...
Come to the end of the road
Still I trust Miyamoto.
It's unnatural, you belong to me, I belong to you.

Ninty, I know you really love me,
You just don't realize...
You've never released a hybrid before
It's only your first time.

Maybe I'll forgive you, hmm.
Maybe your reveal is nigh.
We should be happy together
Forever, you and I.

Will you hype me again like you hyped me before?
This time I want you to hype me much more.
This time instead just use a Direct.
And, Ninty, just don't let me down

Although we've come to Nintend'o the road,
Still I can't let go.
It's unnatural, you belong to me, I belong to you.
Come to the end of the road,
Still I trust Miitomo.
It's unnatural, you belong to me, I belong to you

NX, I'm here for you.
All those times at night when you just teased me
And just leaked out with that other rumor
Ninty, I knew about it, I just didn't care.
You just don't understand how much I'm hype for you do you?
I'm here for you.
I'm not out to go out and play PS4 on you all night
Just like core gamers did, Ninty, but that's all right.
Hey, I'll buy you anyway,
And I'm still gonna be here for you 'till my dying day, Ninty.
Right now, I'm just in so much pain, Ninty
'Cause you just won't be revealed to me
Will you? Just be revealed to me.

(Lonely)
Yes, Ninty, my heart is lonely
(Lonely)
The hype hurts, baby
(Lonely)
Yes I feel hype too
Ninty, please

This time instead just reveal Direct,
And, baby, just don't let me down.

Although we've come to the Nintend'o the road
Still I can't let go.
It's unnatural, you belong to me, I belong to you...
Come to the end of the road,
Still I trust Mario.
It's unnatural, you belong to me, I belong to you."

TAS

I'm loving the "complete reboot" comment. An NES for the 21st century is a device you can take with you everywhere. This has the potential to change the video game industry forever by making the stationary home console a thing of the past.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Noone's built tension but the people here themselves. Nintendo has said nothing and promised nothing. DO NOT be surprised when you don't get what your imagination creates.

All this sounds like from current rumours and leaks is a handheld with cheap clip on controllers running at 720 in HH and docked mode. That doesn't excite me much.
So you're a powerful handheld? That don't impress me much. Uh uh oh. Now don't get me wrong yeah I think you're alright

What the fuck is happening to me? The hype is getting too much.

RPGamer92

Banned
October needs to get here pronto. For both my birthday and hopefully the NX reveal event or at least the announcement of the event. Also Halloween.

Oxymoron

If you think about it, the NX is almost certainly going to launch with Zelda. An AAA game that's been in development for 5+ years with a massive team. It's already setting the bar super high to where customers might have unrealistic expectations of what the average NX game should be like.

Do we have literally any reason to believe they're launching together? The conspicuous announcement of NX in March and simultaneous delay of Zelda to "2017" with no month or mention of launch really points to the opposite.

KingBroly

Banned
While I, as a dedicated enthusiast, like the idea of customizable control methods, I think that might be a bit problematic for Nintendo. It could run the risk of developers not having a concrete gaming experience to target with their games, and it could also undermine mass appeal to the "blue ocean" casuals who typically buy a device and just expect it to work as-is without too much fiddling. But as I said, I would personally love it ;)

I think they might actually go with sticks since the controllers are detachable and the device is supposedly a bit too big to be a pocket portable anyway. At least that makes more sense to me if it's supposed to function as a home console as well. I have a feeling that the circle pads are just for the dev kits.

It's still a portable, so I don't think sticks are an option. It also means no L3/R3 unless the base of the sticks/pads are pressure-based.

Malus

Do we have literally any reason to believe they're launching together? The conspicuous announcement of NX in March and simultaneous delay of Zelda to "2017" with no month or mention of launch really points to the opposite.

Hmm? That seems like plenty of evidence to me. The announcement made it look like Zelda was delayed specifically for NX. Maybe they didn't say March 2017 to make it less obvious that was the case. And then we have the recent amiibo "leak" pointing to a march release.

How many things has he actually gotten wrong, and how many of those things were independently corroborated by a half-dozen other news sources?
I should have been more clear.
I think he's right about this stuff because it's really nothing new.
Eurogamer basically beat them all to the spot.
He's been wrong before as has been stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom