• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Somebody needs to pull a "Hungry Hungry Homer" and go to Kyoto and pull a hunger strike until Nintendo reveals this thing.

There's a 7/11 right across the street (from Nintendo HQ) where you could chain yourself up.

I believe in team SCD, but I don't think it'll be anything too sophisticated, just to help get good-looking 1080p on the TV.
Death is a part of Nintendo. Oh yeah, the main part.

orioto

Good Art™
What? Circle pads make sense for a portable and sticks make sense for a home console, so this satisfies both. I remember a lot of people were disappointed at the idea of this having just circle pads as a result of it being a portable.

That's a fucking mess i think...
I'd rather have a one piece portable and you can use your pro controller connected to it when plugged to a tv.. really.. That's so simple..

MacTag

Banned
Not a reply specifically to you, but: what is SCD? I missed this somewhere along the way, and asking Google and Wikipedia for things it can stand for isn't helping.
SCD stands for Supplemental Computing Device. Whenever I see it though I immediately think Sega CD.

Malus

That's a fucking mess i think...
I'd rather have a one piece portable and you can use your pro controller connected to it when plugged to a tv.. really.. That's so simple..

True and that could be an option. But maybe in some scenarios you'd want the controllers attached to the screen even when playing on TV, and then there's the whole motion control thing with the haptic feedback rumors. Plus it'd allow me to have an analogue stick controlled handheld if I so choose.

Essentially this is the same discourse as we've had the past couple of months? Hm. Truth be told, I'm tired of rumors.
I can't help but wonder if Nintendo enjoys its fanbase's wild, repetitious desire for news.

Simbabbad

I'd argue 3DS and Wii U already targeted essentially the same audience. There's so little real distinction at this point that NX attempting to serve both functions makes perfect sense.
The sales aren't the same, though, but it's true a lot of Nintendo's Wii U games are games that could work on handheld right as they already are. Still, that only reinforces my point that the NX being a hybrid could result in a handheld type library with the occasional "home console" software.

If I were such a parent wanting such a thing I'd just opt for some existing $100-or-less device with a zillion existing free games, or something that would easily add on to my existing phone plan.
You're not every parent. A handheld with phone capabilities can be a pretty good deal for a lot of people.

Because at home this thing is supposed to be connected to a TV out, docked to a power supply, maybe additional storage. At that point, it becomes a good thing to be able to use the controls when they're not attached.
It's pretty silly to imagine you won't be able to use the system without the detachable controllers and you'll have to take them with you if you carry it around. Remember they initially developed Super Mario Run for handheld, they're likely thinking of making a chunk of the library touchscreen only. Also, I guess most people will buy a separate controller to use at home rather than detach and attach the things every time they move it around.

I'm hoping "complete reboot for Nintendo" means "standard ass console with no bullshit gimmicks".
Yeah, touchscreen controls are such a gimmick. It'll never last.

Essentially this is the same discourse as we've had the past couple of months? Hm. Truth be told, I'm tired of rumors.
I can't help but wonder if Nintendo enjoys its fanbase's wild, repetitious desire for news.
I'm sure they know of it and while I doubt they bask in how crazy they make us(or we make ourselves), they're always going to be on their schedule and stick to it.

MacTag

Banned
The sales aren't the same, though, but it's true a lot of Nintendo's Wii U games are games that could work on handheld right as they already are. Still, that only reinforces my point that the NX being a hybrid could result in a handheld type library with the occasional "home console" software.
My point is the idea of handheld vs home console type libraries is itself antiquated and irrelevant. The 3DS lineup generally shares more in common with PS2 or Wii than it does GBA or even DS in terms of the types of games it has. The type of software that handhelds used to be known for, quick pick up play time wasters, have largely moved to mobile. These days handhelds are essentially just smaller home consoles already and both 3DS and Vita really exemplify that in their console-like lineups.

Peer is a knowledgeable credible guy with years in the industry. A rumor is still a rumor, and speculation is still speculation - but the NX threads have been living off twitter rumor mongers for the past year. I definitely feel we are in a more grounded rumor discussion for once.

To emphasize, it's not like it's just him saying this, either. Literally every halfway credible outlet (EG, IGN, MCV, WSJ, Kotaku, Semiaccurate, Tweaktown, LPVG) to report on what the NX hardware is has corroborated the Eurogamer report in some fashion, and what's even more noteworthy is just how consistent these reports have been; some have emphasized certain details more than others, but none have contradicted each other in any significant way.

It's not 100% confirmed fact until the hardware is revealed (barring the extremely unlikely possibility that someone leaks video of a dev kit running), of course, but the odds that all these outlets are totally wrong is pretty minuscule. Most likely, the large majority of what's been reported by the aforementioned outlets is accurate.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
This generation sucks. I think this is why the NX will take off. Bringing on a new fresh take on hardware.
This generation sucking as much as it does is certainly a big reason why I'm as excited for the NX as I am.

And hey, for once the lack of major western third party support on a Nintendo system doesn't really matter to me much. Because I've fallen out with the AAA gaming scene so much in general that Nintendo not getting these games doesn't really matter much to me. As long as the Nintendo lineup is good and the indie support is good, NX is set to be my most played platform for the near future. Especially since it's the only handheld on the market now.

maxcriden

Übermatik;217162581 said:
No...? The poster I quoted said they wouldn't buy the NX if it were only 720p. I think there's pretty strong evidence the NX will be 720p, so looks like Ooccoo won't be buying it! :)

Yeah, it was terrible reading comprehension on my part, sorry. Not sure how I so completely misunderstood. 😂

This generation sucks. I think this is why the NX will take off. Bringing on a new fresh take on hardware.
This... doesn't make sense to me.

I understand where you're coming from if you're not impressed by the quality of games on the XBox One and PS4, but you're on NeoGAF. We're the kinds of hobbyists who know enough about games to think things like "Wow, I heard Bayonetta 2 and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze are really good, maybe I should buy a Wii U." Nintendo's problem with the Wii U wasn't that people like us weren't buying it.

The PS4 and for some reason even the XBox One are both selling very well, and the games that are selling very well on them are for the most part the same kinds of games that sold very well on the 360/PS3. There doesn't seem to be any indication that people are looking for something new. And the success (or lack thereof) of VR so far seems to show the opposite, albeit there's a much higher price wall there and no Mario and Zelda. But Mario didn't help the Wii U either.

Simbabbad

My point is the idea of handheld vs home console type libraries is itself antiquated and irrelevant.
No it's not? What percentage of retail PS4/Xbox One or PS3/360 games would work as handheld games? Would, say, Dead Space work as a handheld game? Alien Isolation?

Just look at Luigi's Mansion 2 and how basically every difference from the original comes from it being on handheld vs. home console.

orioto

Good Art™
No it's not? What percentage of retail PS4/Xbox One or PS3/360 games would work as handheld games? Would, say, Dead Space work as a handheld game? Alien Isolation?

Just look at Luigi's Mansion 2 and how basically every difference from the original comes from it being on handheld vs. home console.

That they have to be adapted for some ergonomics problems doesn't mean they can't be the same scale

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Just look at Luigi's Mansion 2 and how basically every difference comes from it being on handheld vs. home console.
Yes and yes. Dead Space and Alien would work just fine as handheld games. Hell some of my playtime of Alien Isolation WAS on a handheld. Fiddly controls due to Vita's lack of buttons, but that aside it was fine playing on a handheld and control wise that's a problem NX won't have anyway.

The amazing success of the PS4 is evidence that the people want... some sort of gimmicky Nintendo thing.
I'd also point to the fact that the most the world has cared about Pokémon in over a decade was when it showed up on the same phone interface they've been using for years and years.

maxcriden

if every console comes included with a dock, I'm hoping they will also come included with a pro controller.

Though I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did a $199 SKU that is just the handheld unit, and a $249 SKU that is the handheld + dock, pro controller and additional storage. mad profit margins on the $249 SKU :)

Agreed. I think the second SKU listed in your post will be the launch one, or at least the initial SKU I mean to say will be HH plus dock, maybe with a pro or similar controller added in, as well as very possibly a pack-in game (that maybe comes with your SKU #1 also). I think for messaging purposes at launch, based on the "your [console] games, on the go" rumored marketing, I expect one combined HH + dock + who knows what else SKU only.

Sounds like home console fans would continue to get the shaft since this NX is clearly favoring handheld users.

I don't mind buying the extra controller for analog sticks though.

I hear ya. As my good friend Anthony said above, there's every chance a bundle could include a controller with a traditional control scheme. Plus, since Nintendo hasn't marketed this product or explained their strategy for it all we have now are rumors. So it's entirely possible that it's functionally a console for all intents and purposes, and we know from the rumors that functionally they plan to market it as a console and a handheld.

kagamin

I'd also point to the fact that the most the world has cared about Pokémon in over a decade was when it showed up on the same phone interface they've been using for years and years.

Honestly, Pokemon still sells tons of copies on 3DS, like over 12 million for the most recent entries, though that probably can't compare to the market share of smartphones its still decent.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The amazing success of the PS4 is evidence that the people want... some sort of gimmicky Nintendo thing.
The amazing success of the PS4 is bewildering. I can't explain it. It certainly doesn't deserve it and as a longtime PlayStation fan Sony have been doing nothing but pushing me away all generation.

The PS Vita though. Yummy. Fuck this industry. The wrong things are successful and the wrong things are failures.

MacTag

Banned

Dead Space and Isolation would be great on handhelds. And LM2 would work well as is on console too actually. I'm not seeing the distinction here?

The amazing success of the PS4 is bewildering. I can't explain it. It certainly doesn't deserve it and as a longtime PlayStation fan Sony have been doing nothing but pushing me away all generation.

The PS Vita though. Yummy. Fuck this industry. The wrong things are successful and the wrong things are failures.
Well said.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
If I get off the hype train at this stop will you guys let me back on later?

So long as you pay the re-entry fee. Also the processing fee and the convenience fee.

This train stops for no one.
Unless they can suplex it.

Thanks guys. As a life long Nintendo fan and owner of ever single console and re-version this looks like my stop. Every NX thread is just a void of speculation and various forms of snake oil. I'll pay the fee's to get back on.

It feels like the 2 years of real life filler back when I watched Naruto.

Hold my seat!

Sean

Banned
The idea of a Nintendo handheld with HD graphics that can dock to your TV is quite exciting.

But also seems extremely risky. I'm not sure the development budgets required for these games will be sustainable in the long run. You used to be able to make handheld games for a low budget with a small team. Now it's looking like they are going down the "AAA" / "console quality" route which will increase development costs dramatically. And I'm not sure the games will sell any better to make those increased costs worthwhile. They'll actually probably sell worse since I expect NX games to cost $60 rather than the $30-40 for 3DS.

It could end up being another PS Vita situation.

Narroo

This generation sucking as much as it does is certainly a big reason why I'm as excited for the NX as I am.

And hey, for once the lack of major western third party support on a Nintendo system doesn't really matter to me much. Because I've fallen out with the AAA gaming scene so much in general that Nintendo not getting these games doesn't really matter much to me. As long as the Nintendo lineup is good and the indie support is good, NX is set to be my most played platform for the near future. Especially since it's the only handheld on the market now.

Actually, that's kind of true for me too. I can't think of the last time a major publisher released a game I wanted outside of...Atlus with Persona 5? The biggest games I've been following are from Arc Sys, and Platinum.

L Thammy

I think something people often fail to appreciate is market focus. PS4 chose a particular type of consumer and totally zeroed in on them; I'm confident that they were reading up on message boards in order to get an idea of what the average PS4 user would want. They made a fantastic product meant for one kind of a consumer

Meanwhile, both the Xbox One and the Wii U had distinctly wishy-washy focus, where Xbox One was a tvsports machine that also played video games, where as Wii U was showing off Zombi U and Ninja Gaiden next to Tvii and and the Gamepad. They both tried to grab two very different markets and ended up hurting their appeal with both. If you wanted a core gaming experience you could do so much better with PlayStation 4 or PC, if you're a casual gamer you could stick to your phone.

I've been saying for a long while, I don't care whether the NX is a machine for core gamers or casuals, but jesus christ nintendo pick one.

MacTag

Banned
The idea of a Nintendo handheld with HD graphics that can dock to your TV is quite exciting.

But also seems extremely risky. I'm not sure the development budgets required for these games will be sustainable in the long run. You used to be able to make handheld games for a low budget with a small team. Now it's looking like they are going down the "AAA" / "console quality" route which will increase development costs dramatically. And I'm not sure the games will sell any better to make those increased costs worthwhile. They'll actually probably sell worse since I expect NX games to cost $60 rather than the $30-40 for 3DS.

3DS games are already pushing $50 in some cases. $30 doesn't happen except for lower budget stuff anyway, that's the equivalent to $40-50 on console.

Also Vita games are generally the same prices (and budgets) that 3DS games are. That's not why the system flopped.

120v

i think the idea is to have both "budget" portable type games and AAA on the system. though it may not play out that way

Speely

Banned

It's possible that there will be NX games with handheld budgets and price tags as well... games made as portable games first and foremost. I don't think we will be seeing only modern AAA type games forced into a handheld medium. I think it's possible that the the NX is one platform that various types of developers can target, from indies to handheld to AAA console, depending on the type of game and budget.

KingBroly

Banned
Nintendo is responsible for that. They've tried to define all their devices by its hardware since the Wii and the DS, with the need of an innovation.

When i was 12 in 93 and we were hearing rumors about next Nintendo's console, it was certainly not about any sort of innovation in hardware. it was all about "there will be a crazy mario with 300 levels OMG!!"

It shifted.
Nintendo sold everyone the idea that a console generation was legitimized by hardware innovations, making the software a second thought. It's always "omg the concept is so incredible !!! (and don't worry you'll have your faforite ips on it as usual)"

That's what they created. That's why we're seeing 500 threads about what is the NX but none about what will be the next Mario or Metroid and how they would change the world of gaming forever. We're not expecting that actually..

Zelda BotW is a step in the right direction, putting the ambition and change back into the game development, or Splatoon etc.. After all they are not communicating about hardware of the NX. Leaks are.. But it happens cause they created that philosophy.

NX doesn't sound very...hardware innovation-y...if you ask me. Even a SCD doesn't sound like it to me, cuz it sounds like the N64 expansion pack, just for more stuff.

PrimeRib_

The comments about "Just Dance" makes me think they will be using something akin to a FitBit - a bracelet controller, if you will.

NX doesn't sound very...hardware innovation-y...if you ask me. Even a SCD doesn't sound like it to me, cuz it sounds like the N64 expansion pack, just for more stuff.

Innovation =/= completely new idea, mind you. Sometimes innovation is taking old ideas and using them in fresh and interesting ways.

Speely

Banned
Another PlayStation/Xbox? I don't think the market need that. Nintendo should differentiate from the mainstream.

Completely agreed, and it seems like they are doing exactly that. The more rumors I hear, the more excited I get. While we know very little, the idea of one platform for all things Nintendo on a capable hybrid portable/home console is exactly the kind of thing I want in my life. If the price tag and marketing fit, I feel like a LOT of people will feel the same.

Davey Cakes

I have no idea what Nintendo will go with, circle pads or control sticks.

The Wii U had circle pads in its dev kits that were eventually changed to control sticks for the final product.

The 3DS uses circle pads, which I guess do the trick, but aren't quite up to snuff. I'm really wondering which angle Nintendo will take. If NX is primarily meant to be portable, they'll succeed the 3DS's design with circle pads. If Nintendo wants to stress the TV functionality for a console-like experience, they may opt for control sticks like with the Wii U's Gamepad.

But, on top of that there's also the consideration for detachable controllers. What if Nintendo really is going for customizable experiences? As in, putting it on the informed customer to buy peripherals for the the input method they prefer? Would Nintendo really go that far as to simplify the base product while complicating the customization aspect?

In a sense, that would provide the best of both worlds, but in practice I'm not yet convinced.

orioto

Good Art™

Yes i also think Nintendo doesn't want to communicate too much on hardware this time. But the result of their past is everyone trying to guess what it is for 1 year.. Which is bad cause it creates a focus on the wrong thing.

Davey Cakes

Yeah, but that clearly didn't work with the Wii U. I think that's why this is more of a handheld- they consistently do pretty well in that market.
The Wii U was barely beyond a PS3 and wasn't even particularly easy to port games to.

The Gamepad was a nice idea with legitimate application. Plenty of Wii U owners (all 12 million of them, lol) enjoyed Off-TV play and the few asymmetic gameplay experiences the console provided. It just wasn't enough, as otherwise the console didn't know what it wanted to be. A hardcore machine? A casual machine? It was priced too high and had a bad start with an unpolished OS and a mediocre launch with a Mario game barely anyone wanted and not much else. At its core it could've been a direct competitor to the 360 and PS3 but had nowhere near the necessary support.

The Wii U didn't work because Nintendo didn't know what to do following the Wii and the migration of their short-lived audience to mobile platforms.

I think they have much clearer goal now, and I really hope it translates to the NX in terms of execution and presentation to prospective audiences.

Speely

Banned
I have no idea what Nintendo will go with, circle pads or control sticks.

The Wii U had circle pads in its dev kits that were eventually changed to control sticks for the final product.

The 3DS uses circle pads, which I guess do the trick, but aren't quite up to snuff. I'm really wondering which angle Nintendo will take. If NX is primarily meant to be portable, they'll succeed the 3DS's design with circle pads. If Nintendo wants to stress the TV functionality for a console-like experience, they may opt for control sticks like with the Wii U's Gamepad.

But, on top of that there's also the consideration for detachable controllers. What if Nintendo really is going for customizable experiences? As in, putting it on the informed customer to buy peripherals for the the input method you prefer? Would Nintendo really go that far as to simplify the base product while complicate the customization aspect?

In a sense, that would provide the best of both worlds, but in practice I'm not yet convinced.

While I, as a dedicated enthusiast, like the idea of customizable control methods, I think that might be a bit problematic for Nintendo. It could run the risk of developers not having a concrete gaming experience to target with their games, and it could also undermine mass appeal to the "blue ocean" casuals who typically buy a device and just expect it to work as-is without too much fiddling. But as I said, I would personally love it ;)

I think they might actually go with sticks since the controllers are detachable and the device is supposedly a bit too big to be a pocket portable anyway. At least that makes more sense to me if it's supposed to function as a home console as well. I have a feeling that the circle pads are just for the dev kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom