• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be hugely disappointed if those lame circle pads the 3DS has is the main stick.

For Nintendos sake there better be a pack in controller with analog sticks if the NX has circle pads.

ggx2ac

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I just looked in to the Circle Pad Pro attachment (I don't have one, myself, although I've thought about it just for the added grip room). It apparently purports 480 hours of use off 1 AAA battery?!! That's pretty damn nice. So whether they go this route or the "window" route like in that recent patent, I'd be satisfied.

So when they say "not the main way to control," I'm assuming they mean at home, right? Obviously, in portable mode, the detachable controls would be the main control method, whether attached or detached for 2 players.

Yes, they were talking about at home. Check my other posts since I wrote a lot.

The keyword here is that they were speculating about a main controller.
They have not heard of any other control schemes or a main controller.

Zalman

It was pretty obvious to me from the start there was going to be a traditional controller for home use. Something like the Wii U Pro Controller. Nintendo has always provided that. It will likely also support the GameCube ones for Smash.

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I just looked in to the Circle Pad Pro attachment (I don't have one, myself, although I've thought about it just for the added grip room). It apparently purports 480 hours of use off 1 AAA battery?!! That's pretty damn nice. So whether they go this route or the "window" route like in that recent patent, I'd be satisfied.

So when they say "not the main way to control," I'm assuming they mean at home, right? Obviously, in portable mode, the detachable controls would be the main control method, whether attached or detached for 2 players.

Interesting stuff. So IR is used in what way? To detect the controllers are attached ala the Circle Pad Pro, I presume?
No like that and not like the Circle Pad Pro. That's why i advice not to bring the Circle Pad Pro into the discussion because it casuses confusion.

IR Sensors to detect the presses of buttons, instead of more mechanical ways such as mebranes over switches.
  • The PCB inside the controller becomes more simple.
  • Depending in where they opt to put the sensors (NX itself or the Controllers) the inards of the detachable parts could be almost as simple as a set of buttons with a reflective IR film on the under side.
  • Decreases size of controllers.
  • Decreases weight.
  • Decreases costs of manufacturing and thus more profit marging per unit sold.
  • Opens the door for customizable controllers.
  • Gains in battery life. Althoug Radio Frequency has had huge gains in battery efficiency. Look at the Wii U Pad Pro.
IGN in the podcast mixed two different things, thus causing a mixed message. The "cheap Nunchuck" Attachment implies the above use, the IR patent we know of. The other part they talked about, like if it was the same thing, was about IR use as Wii Remote poiting.

PetrCobra

There's no way I'll buy a complete reboot of a console on launch. I'll probably do that after some time, when it has plenty of great games, but if my current library of digital games that I've bought on the Nintendo consoles is supposed to die with the consoles, there's nothing interesting in a new piece of their hardware other than maybe some sort of novelty feature we don't yet know about.

I know that a fresh start with no BC is normal in the console world but with Ninty's handhelds playing games from the generation before them and with third straight Nintendo console based on the same core components (something they barely took advantage of on Wii U, except for a few Wii games... with no GC at all) I hoped that there's a chance for having something similar to the situation on PC, except with better reliability due to better controlled hardware iterations. Hopefully they have something like this in mind for the future of the NX platform.

maxcriden

I'm going to be hugely disappointed if those lame circle pads the 3DS has is the main stick.

For Nintendos sake there better be a pack in controller with analog sticks if the NX has circle pads.

At the least, I believe there will absolutely be an additional controller you can buy that has analog sticks.

No like that and not like the Circle Pad Pro. That's why i advice not to bring the Circle Pad Pro into the discussion because it casuses confusion.

IR Sensors to detect the presses of buttons, instead of more mechanical ways such as mebranes over switches.
  • The PCB inside the controller becomes more simple.
  • Depending in where they opt to put the sensors (NX itself or the Controllers) the inards of the detachable parts could be almost as simple as a set of buttons with a reflective IR film on the under side.
  • Decreases size of controllers.
  • Decreases weight.
  • Decreases costs of manufacturing and thus more profit marging per unit sold.
  • Opens the door for customizable controllers.

IGN in the podcast mixed two different things. The "cheap Nunchuck" Attachment implies the above use, the IR patent we know of. The other part they talked about, like if it was the same thing, was about IR use as Wii Remote.

I need to listen to this Podcast when I get the chance later. From the sound of the posts here, it's not clear they were talking about one or the other. I agree with some of the benefits of that patent, but it's a new idea, and it may not work as well as it seems. Or it may. But I think we should keep both possibilities open, unless it was made super clear in the podcast. "Cheap" in this era of $60 controllers is relative.

ggx2ac

Not many people are aware of that IR patent or how optics works. That's why I said it just works like a Circle Pad Pro to make it simple to explain.

And I'd prefer not having to explain that there is an IR camera in a chamber where light is emitted and reflected off mirrors like an interferometer to detect button presses and analog stick movements otherwise I'd have to spend time having to explain something no one will give a shit about once it's explained, especially when it's not confirmed yet if that is the tech it will use in the NX.

Anth0ny

At the least, I believe there will absolutely be an additional controller you can buy that has analog sticks.

if every console comes included with a dock, I'm hoping they will also come included with a pro controller.

Though I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did a $199 SKU that is just the handheld unit, and a $249 SKU that is the handheld + dock, pro controller and additional storage. mad profit margins on the $249 SKU :)

udivision

Could be wrong but the dock is the real wild card for me. It feels like the Pro and Scorpio may be response to whatever it is.

If you think Nintendo is going to try and compete on power, and that the Sony and MS are reacting to it (as opposed to the more obvious possibility of them reacting to each other/PC), I'd really like to know why you feel that way.

Forkball

There's no way I'll buy a complete reboot of a console on launch. I'll probably do that after some time, when it has plenty of great games, but if my current library of digital games that I've bought on the Nintendo consoles is supposed to die with the consoles, there's nothing interesting in a new piece of their hardware other than maybe some sort of novelty feature we don't yet know about.

I know that a fresh start with no BC is normal in the console world but with Ninty's handhelds playing games from the generation before them and with third straight Nintendo console based on the same core components (something they barely took advantage of on Wii U, except for a few Wii games... with no GC at all) I hoped that there's a chance for having something similar to the situation on PC, except with better reliability due to better controlled hardware iterations. Hopefully they have something like this in mind for the future of the NX platform.

You're gonna buy Super Mario Bros. for $5. FOREVER.

I highly doubt our VC games will transfer over, but you never know. If Nintendo is 100% cutting us off from backwards compatibility, I hope they really focus on beefing up the VC. NES to Wii U, including handhelds.

Hmm, didn't the latest rumors of repute point to 720? You still expecting 540? (FWIW I think either will look terrific on a HH.)

No...? The poster I quoted said they wouldn't buy the NX if it were only 720p. I think there's pretty strong evidence the NX will be 720p, so looks like Ooccoo won't be buying it! :)

Deku89

Just listened to it. No real new information, but a good review of some of the rumors. Pretty entertaining though.

Sounds like home console fans would continue to get the shaft since this NX is clearly favoring handheld users.

I don't mind buying the extra controller for analog sticks though.

Azoo

Neo Member
So, either the detachable pieces connect to a center piece for battery/gyro/etc reasons, or there's likely an additional pro controller bundled with it for home play.

Either/or sounds good to me, if true.

Smash is NEVER going to let the GameCube Controller die. It's the Fight Stick for that game, basically.

I like the Wii U Pro Controller so much more for Melee and Project M on Dolphin and Smash 4 on Wii U. Fuck a light shield, teching/l-cancelling/wavedashing with digital triggers is complete bliss. And the position of the second stick is way more conducive to quick smash attacks. People really oughta try it, I get why the Gamecube controller is defacto for Smash but I don't think it's the optimal control solution anymore (except for the obvious caveat that it's the only wired solution so it's good for tourney play)

what-ok

I think its interesting that this is sounding more like a handheld focused console than one that sits in the living room. Is that the innovation? Sounds sort of alienating to those who only play at home unless there is an incentive for playing it on a tv. I know many have argued this point to the grave, but maybe there will be a performance boost with it docked to some sort of added processor? Oh, and any chance the NX will communicate with the WiiU and use it for additional functionality or is the WiiU officially RIP?

topplehat

Man, I'd really love to hear some rumors related to the software side of things. Namely - am I going to have to rebuy all my VC games, or pay an "upgrade" fee?

aBarreras

If you think Nintendo is going to try and compete on power, and that the Sony and MS are reacting to it (as opposed to the more obvious possibility of them reacting to each other/PC), I'd really like to know why you feel that way.

I mean i kind of understand his point, if the NX is as revolutionary as Nintendo think and the such, the only thing that Sony and MS could do is trying to make NEW SUPER POWERFUL CONSOLES to try to make look the NX like something obsolete or not worth.

of course Sony has told several times that the pro exists because they dont want their userbase to move to PC, and Scorpio because the One was weak compared to the PS4

Man, I'd really love to hear some rumors related to the software side of things. Namely - am I going to have to rebuy all my VC games, or pay an "upgrade" fee?
You're probably not going to hear about stuff like that until Nintendo talks about it at their reveal.

I think its interesting that this is sounding more like a handheld focused console than one that sits in the living room. Is that the innovation? Sounds sort of alienating to those who only play at home unless there is an incentive for playing it on a tv. I know many have argued this point to the grave, but maybe there will be a performance boost with it docked to some sort of added processor? Oh, and any chance the NX will communicate with the WiiU and use it for additional functionality or is the WiiU officially RIP?

Nobody knows what the dock does. It could be a SCD or a SCD could come later. Also, there could be multiple NX systems down the road. The Wii U is rip lol

I need to listen to this Podcast when I get the chance later. From the sound of the posts here, it's not clear they were talking about one or the other.
That's exactly what i told in the post you replied to. They are mixing the implementations of IR technolgy.

Cheap Controllers means one thing. The "Water Bottle" interfering with your play session means another. i would think.

I agree with some of the benefits of that patent, but it's a new idea, and it may not work as well as it seems. Or it may. But I think we should keep both possibilities open, unless it was made super clear in the podcast. "Cheap" in this era of $60 controllers is relative.
That goes withouth saying, with the type of ambivalent information we get, it's impossible to asure what will end up in the consumer product. But these "sources" is the only thing we have and applying logic to what they say brings you to certain conclusions, if what they say is true to begin with.

Let me explain furher about what the IGN guys said and the "Circle Pad Pro" comparison:
  • The "cheap" and "Nunchuck" part of the rumor, means that these detachable controllers would cost a thrid of what the customer is used to pay for standard pads.
  • The Circle Pad Pro has standard inhards of a controller. The difference here it's the way it comunicates the inputs, which is a consequence of the connectivity limitations of the 3DS itself and lack of planning on Nintendo's part more than a perk.
  • Applying the same Circle Pad Pro connecting functionality wouldn't make possible these "cheap controllers" by that virtue itself. Why? Because the Circle Pad Pro, uses common components of controllers and traditional methods of manufacturing. So a full featured traditional controller that plays Breath of the Wild with the key difference being that it comunicates input through IR wouldn't make it "Nunchuck cheap". That IR connectivity is not what would make a controller low cost.
  • So in the context of what the IGN guys said in 16/09/2016 the IRS patent is what would allow the existance of these "Nunchuck cheap" controllers. Must like you had cheap Wii Remote attachments because most of the components where in the Wii Remote itself.
That's a logical take on what IGN guys in the podcast said. Now, the validity of the information is another matter entirely.

****Post got truncated, sorry. That's the problem when they get long.***

There are some pros in handling the IR like a Circle Pad though:

FourthStorm, an advantage of IR connectivity Circle Pad Pro like, that hasn't been brought up in this discussion yet, is that it makes the connection more reliable because is less prone to degradation of a more standard physical one. What it means is, a physical port to connect the Detachable parts while cheap it is prone to failure with extended use and constantly put it in and taking it appart. IR connectivity would help with this.

Another advantage of the IR connectivity in this case, would be a more elegant and simple way to connect the halves like with magnets for example. Or a cheaper physical connection that just takes care of fixing the halves to the console and not the interface.

thefro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL9Lmd-ndjA&t=14m15s

Probably reading way too much into this but after criticizing the MCV report for being too safe and therefore being a "crappy rumor" (i.e. "Of course Sega is going to make games for NX!"), Peer says this:

"I would love it if the rumor was that, guess what? 2k or Square Enix or Capcom is making an NX launch window game!"

The MCV report mentions S-E. Capcom would probably fall into the same basket with Sega. So Peer's choice of throwing 2K in there is odd.

Azoo

Neo Member
I'm still not sure where the argument is coming from when people talk of this hybrid concept as "so they're catering completely to the handheld audience now". Uhh, nope? They're calling it a hybrid for a reason, you know.

If this thing is as powerful as everyone's made it out to be (a custom Tegra chip), can run resolutions higher than 720p when TV docked, and uses a traditional control scheme in that mode (either through a pro controller or the detachable pieces + a center piece), then what exactly is stopping anyone from using it like a home console?

If you don't have any use in it as a handheld, then don't use it as a handheld. And if people don't like the idea because of it setting back Nintendo from something that could be much more powerful like Sony and Microsoft's efforts, then we should remember Reggie's recent sentiment about not chasing those two's power wars, as well as Nintendo's hardware library for the past decade plus.

That said, the idea of an SCD dock that gives it more power would be nice in the future to extend it's life, but I wouldn't place bets on it.

That would make no sense though.

Why would they have a 1080p screen when most of the games won't be 1080p?

Even the Xbox One, a massively bulky home console, struggles to get 1080p visuals.

It's not a case of having a 1080p screen so suddenly the games are 1080p...
Your post doesn't make sense. Devs can make 1080p games on any HD console, but they would have to tone down framerate or graphical effects. It all depends on the game they are making, and what they want consumers to experience.

This 1080p thing really applies to multiplatforms when comparing to the ps4 when 3rd party devs try to push graphical effects and frame rates more often than 1st party devs.

gafneo

Banned
So that makes sense now. The controllers are not mandatory. They are just for those that want VC classic controls. The focuss is on touch. It's an nVidia Shield phone. They already made a tablet shield, a gaming portable, and an Android TV. Nvidia needed Nintendo to help sell their chips in phones because Snapdragon has robbed their chances at mobile. Nvidia is the only company that knows how to make console hybrids by using hdmi mini.

Peterc

Übermatik;217162581 said:
No...? The poster I quoted said they wouldn't buy the NX if it were only 720p. I think there's pretty strong evidence the NX will be 720p, so looks like Ooccoo won't be buying it! :)

Nate was planning to make a video about this. This doesn't say anything about it couldn't play 1080p. The screen is just 720p.

Wiiu was 480p and it was looking already good, while some games are 1080p...

DooMAGE

Circle pads works great and are precise too. Don't know why all the hate.

gafneo

Banned
It's not a circlepad for sure. If you want to play Botw, they are giving us gamecube, pro control sticks. Otherwise, you can play with a solid touch screen.

That begs the question.. Since the last two home console Zelda games used it wiimote controls, will this game on the NX have an option to use it as well? Only time will tell. I hope so.. However, if it does, so should the Wii U version.

gafneo

Banned
That begs the question.. Since the last two home console Zelda games used it wiimote controls, will this game on the NX have an option to use it as well? Only time will tell. I hope so.. However, if it does, so should the Wii U version.

Yes, it will be the exact idea as wii u. Play Mario 3D Galaxy or whatever, use either wiimote, nun-knuck, pro, or gamepad. OS will have wii, 3ds, and wii u intergration.

Simbabbad

I'm still not sure where the argument is coming from when people talk of this hybrid concept as "so they're catering completely to the handheld audience now". Uhh, nope? They're calling it a hybrid for a reason, you know.

If this thing is as powerful as everyone's made it out to be (a custom Tegra chip), can run resolutions higher than 720p when TV docked, and uses a traditional control scheme in that mode (either through a pro controller or the detachable pieces + a center piece), then what exactly is stopping anyone from using it like a home console?
You confuse technical capabilities with market constraints.

Technically, nothing prevents 3D mascot platformers in the vein of Banjo Kazooie existing on current consoles. Yet, there's next to none (hence the hype for Yooka Laylee) because developers think the market isn't there for something of that cost.

If NX is a hybrid but developers think it'll mostly be used as a handheld, it's possible they'll mostly make games tailored for handheld use. Likewise, if, say, the controllers are detachable so the console can be used in a touchscreen only tablet design, then it'll encourage developers to think their games for touch only design.

What a device can technically do isn't the same as what software will most likely be developed for it. Compare 3DS sales with Wii U sales, what audience will developers target, including Nintendo? Nothing prevented mature, complex games being made for Wii either (and it had a few of that), yet the majority of developers made casual games because they felt it was the audience and identity of the console.

If it does I don't think you should expect it to be anything like Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess

MomoQca

At this point, I'm sick of hearing rumors relating to the hardware side. I want to hear more about the software...which is the whole point. 😩

Really confused as to how there are going to be a million control schemes when this thing is gonna have games in its library that have to be played both on the TV and on the handheld.

Seems to me the default controls will be the ones that the home console use since some of those games will have to be playable on handheld with the same controls.

Basically what I'm saying is: I expect the detachable controllers to have a cross between 3DS circle pads and analog sticks. Clickable 3DS circle pads is an immensely doable thing.

It's not a circlepad for sure. If you want to play Botw, they are giving us gamecube, pro control sticks. Otherwise, you can play with a solid touch screen.

I can play Ocarina and Majora just fine with circle pads. Playing with circle pads is nothing like playing on a touchscreen.

MacTag

Banned
What a device can technically do isn't the same as what software will most likely be developed for it. Compare 3DS sales with Wii U sales, what audience will developers target, including Nintendo? Nothing prevented mature, complex games being made for Wii either (and it had a few of that), yet the majority of developers made casual games because they felt it was the audience and identity of the console.
I'd argue 3DS and Wii U already targeted essentially the same audience. There's so little real distinction at this point that NX attempting to serve both functions makes perfect sense.

Yes, it will be the exact idea as wii u. Play Mario 3D Galaxy or whatever, use either wiimote, nun-knuck, pro, or gamepad. OS will have wii, 3ds, and wii u intergration.
You would think Nintendo would have confirmed it by now.
The fact that Twilight Princess HD didn't have IR Wiimote controls is a bit unsettling.

Steejee

Not really much new info, but sounds pretty good to me.

The 'Cheap' controller bit hopefully just means 'It won't cost $150 like the gamepad'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom