• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCN

Banned
kaZldH5r.jpg

AC Out? Wow, the dock really does provide extra power!

maxcriden

AC Out? Wow, the dock really does provide extra power!

I actually think that's as in air conditioning, like it will also cool your home and contribute to helping the global climate. Nintendo would proudly like to introduce global cooling, a way where we can all play games and save earth.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Price is definitely key. Yeah the Wii and DS captured mass interest because of the novelty of motion controls and dual screens. But really, the fact both those systems were at impulse buy territory made those systems take off the way they did. NX needs that impulse buy price.

what-ok

I keep saying that they won't be making a system with a bunch of detachable crap that kids will break and or loose. That and Nintendo is aware of good functional design and they will make it look nice; not all bulky etc... I see them taking cues from Apple for its design. Thinking something akin to how they took the old bulky DS and then refined it with the DSLight. Its going to be simpler than all those detachable control mockups and thank goodness.

maxcriden

Price is definitely key. Yeah the Wii and DS captured mass interest because of the novelty of motion controls and dual screens. But really, the fact both those systems were at impulse buy territory made those systems take off the way they did. NX needs that impulse buy price.

I completely agree. $199 would destroy all but I dunno how likely that is. Marketing on point as a true hybrid and they can still do insanely well at $250. Especially with a pack-in game and maybe even more especially with a bonus controller beyond the detachable(s), unless that would drive up costs too much.

I keep saying that they won't be making a system with a bunch of detachable crap that kids will break and or loose. That and Nintendo is aware of good functional design and they will make it look nice not all bulky etc... I see them taking cues from Apple for its design. Thinking something akin to how they took the old bulky DS and then refined it with the DSLight. Its going to be simpler than all those detachable control mockups and thank goodness.

I agree about detachable buttons, but I think large detachable parts like half size controllers or controller halves will be in since several reputable rumors have pointed to them. Those should be bulky enough and easily enough replaceable that kids can't easily Lise or eat them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
"Detachable controllers are low budget. Very cheap (like the Wii nunchuck). Peer has heard they're using IR and it's not your main way of controlling the game (a "travel controller"). Speculates they could make cheap controllers that attach to the system."

This is the only really interesting bit imo, i wonder what does "controlles aren't the main way to control games" mean, maybe touchscreen is the main way?

Possibly not a "handheld with physical controls that you can detach" - more a "tablet with touch controls that you can attach physical controls to"?

Might seem like semantics but could be a big difference depending how they approach it.

ggx2ac

I completely agree. $199 would destroy all but I dunno how likely that is. Marketing on point as a true hybrid and they can still do insanely well at $250. Especially with a pack-in game and maybe even more especially with a bonus controller beyond the detachable(s), unless that would drive up costs too much.

If they pick $250 or higher, it's so they can drop the price after the early adopters buy the system.

Although it's hard to gauge the price until this is revealed. It is a huge leap from 3DS and more powerful than Wii U so $250 could be justified.

However, if they do $200 then, it is possible the rumours that originated from MCV that the system was going to be cheaper than most people expect and that the detachable controllers using IR functionality would help explain why.

720p and I'm not buying it. 1080p or bust

That would make no sense though.

Why would they have a 1080p screen when most of the games won't be 1080p?

Even the Xbox One, a massively bulky home console, struggles to get 1080p visuals.

It's not a case of having a 1080p screen so suddenly the games are 1080p...

maxcriden

Possibly not a "handheld with physical controls that you can detach" - more a "tablet with touch controls that you can attach physical controls to"?

Might seem like semantics but could be a big difference depending how they approach it.

Hmm, I see what you're saying, but given that DS, 3DS, and Wii U all had touchscreens and the primary input method for most Nintendo games on those systems were regular controls, I expect that that will be the case here also. Especially since we know BOTW for example is a flagship launch game that uses controls. So I guess my point is I think it's both but that traditional controls will be very much present, especially after Wii U where Nintendo offered so many different control schemes for most games.

Nobody knows if Nintendo will even charge one price. I've always heard what if console manufacturers did some kind of subscription or contract you get to pay over time instead of all at once.

It would be cool to see something different and Nintendo is different enough to try it lol.

MDave

I'm picturing the scenario in where retailers will only sell the NX in a bundle, especially if a low amount of systems are shipped at launch. In which case, it's likely the NX won't come with a Nintendo pack in game, and the SKU costs $200. Hopefully there won't be shortage issues during launch window so we can get the system unbundled.

If the retailer does force it's own bundles, and if it's Zelda BOTW I'm okay with that. $260 for that though ...

AntMurda

Peer was addressing a lot of stuff Rogers has spewed. He clearly doesn't respect the shitty rumor side "my sources have also heard a Mario and Pokemon game are in development". Which has always been my main beef.

ggx2ac

Peer was addressing a lot of stuff Rogers has spewed. He clearly doesn't respect the shitty rumor side "my sources have also heard a Mario and Pokemon game are in development". Which has always been my main beef.

???

They talked about the software rumours in the podcast including the "Mario, Zelda, Pokémon within 6 months from release of the NX." at 14 minutes into the podcast.

pestul

So each rumour is confirmed with basically, "That sounds about right" lol

Come on man! Please be revealed before November. :S

maxcriden

If they pick $250 or higher, it's so they can drop the price after the early adopters buy the system.

Although it's hard to gauge the price until this is revealed. It is a huge leap from 3DS and more powerful than Wii U so $250 could be justified.

However, if they do $200 then, it is possible the rumours that originated from MCV that the system was going to be cheaper than most people expect and that the detachable controllers using IR functionality would help explain why.

Totally agree with what you wrote here, with the caution (not at all concern troll of course) that I think it would be wisest of Nintendo to price as low as they can for wide rather than early only adoption, and to not turn off the early supporters who would have paid a relative premium. I think they want to wait to cut until after the first holiday at the earliest.

theclaw135

Banned
I find it difficult to shake the fear Nintendo will put their head in the sand and stick to PowerPC yet again. GameCube 1.4 on the hardware architecture side is no way to court back 3rd parties.

MuchoMalo

Banned
The controllers are cheaply made? Ugh. If that's the case, I'm going to seriously wonder if Kimishima is sabotaging this to go fully mobile sooner.

Totally agree with what you wrote here, with the caution (not at all concern troll of course) that I think it would be wisest of Nintendo to price as low as they can for wide rather than early only adoption, and to not turn off the early supporters who would have paid a relative premium. I think they want to wait to cut until after the first holiday at the earliest.

Agreed. Nintendo can't get greedy with this. I know they want to not sell at a loss, but they better get awful close to that line. Nintendo has proven that their software is desirable and profitable even with the most limited audience in their home console history, so the goal needs to be pushing as many of these units out as is humanly possible.

Taking a smaller cut up front will lead to a disproportionately greater payoff down the road for Nintendo than other companies, given how strong the attach rate of their software tends to be on their systems.

Simbabbad

You're overlooking the fact that technical realities ensure that Nintendo can only make 1) An affordable dedicated gaming device that can play current-gen console games or 2) a smartphone.

Nintendo cannot do both.
Why? Tons of phones are really cheap, how would adding phone capabilities cause cost or performance issues? You don't seem to understand or even read what I wrote, and are ignoring all of my points. I'm not talking about competing with big players, I'm saying that this thing is obviously thought to be usable like a tablet or phone, that is usable with the touchscreen only (otherwise, why detachable controllers), and that incorporating phone capabilities as an option would make sense to win back the kid market, which is the centre of Nintendo's concerns right now as established by what they said about Mario on iOS.

Remember, they said they experimented on Super Mario Run as a console game to win back casual player. It's extremely unlikely that NX won't have Super Mario Run in its library, and the NX has detachable controllers. They designed this thing so you can carry it around and play simple touchscreen games with it if you want, and then, for the hardcore players, they can plug it to their TV and play more complex games.

My sentiment exactly. This thing will have tons of games playable with the touchscreen only, maybe even its whole library.

bomblord1

Banned
I find it difficult to shake the fear Nintendo will put their head in the sand and stick to PowerPC yet again. GameCube 1.4 on the hardware architecture side is no way to court back 3rd parties.

Does the PowerPC architecture even have a modern cpu with a low enough power draw for a handheld?

maxcriden

If it's any reassurance, none of the rumors of repute point to this, and in fact point to a modern Tegra chip instead.

The controllers are cheaply made? Ugh. If that's the case, I'm going to seriously wonder if Kimishima is sabotaging this to go fully mobile sooner.

FWIW, we have every indication from everything Kimishima has ever said to the press that he is deeply invested in the Nintendo that it has always been in video games, that is to say a dedicated games maker.

And cheap does not necessarily mean it feels cheap or low quality. It just means cheap to make.

maxcriden

Interesting stuff. So IR is used in what way? To detect the controllers are attached ala the Circle Pad Pro, I presume?

I haven't listened to the NVC, but based on my understanding of the replies ITT it appears some feel that is what NBC indicted and others believe they only meant Wiimote-style IR functionality for gameplay, so I am guessing it is ambiguous in the NVC.

Edit: I'm just speculating and potentially misunderstanding based on replies. So listen to ggx2ac below instead of me, please. :)

AGITΩ

Interesting bit about the cheap controllers, i just need an announcement...
Hoping for Sept 23rd...Nintendo's 127 anniversary. Drop them bombs.

ggx2ac

Interesting stuff. So IR is used in what way? To detect the controllers are attached ala the Circle Pad Pro, I presume?

Circle pad pro. I mentioned it in later posts. They talk about it 21 minutes in but they are also not aware of the IR patent from the sounds of it or how optical/wireless technology works in general.

zeromcd73

Latest rumors have been pretty boring since I have no interest in portables.

Hoping to hear more about the home console factors of this thing since it is meant to be both a handheld and a home console.

maxcriden

There's still no sense of when they might give some official details, right?

Well, it seems reasonable to assume they won't wait until November, so we should get details before then if they want people to save their holiday spending monies as they presumably will. As of mid to late November holiday shopping kicks off, but November 1st to me signals the beginning of the holiday season. Also, more importantly, Emily Rogers noted the reveal will come in October, and her recent rumors, which I believe to be reputable, have lined up with leaks from other reputable sources.

Instead of everyone saying "OMG cheap controllers!!!" why not listen to what he said. He doesn't mean they are junk.
Yeah, I don't see the problem. When has Nintendo made "cheap controllers". All of Nintendos controllers are good (maybe N64 was weird lol). It's going to be great. The games are more important.

Well, it seems reasonable to assume they won't wait until November, so we should get details before then if they want people to save their holiday spending monies as they presumably will. As of mid to late November holiday shopping kicks off, but November 1st to me signals the beginning of the holiday season. Also, more importantly, Emily Rogers noted the reveal will come in October, and her recent rumors, which I believe to be reputable, have lined up with leaks from other reputable sources.

Also, the Nintendo shareholders meeting is like the last week of October. NX will be known prior to Nintendo talking to investors. Emily also said Nintendo is "ahead of schedule". Everything is positive news for NX.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
There's still no sense of when they might give some official details, right?
I predict Nintendo will announce the reveal date of NX prior to the FY 2016 Second Quarter Earnings Release/Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing on October 26/27.

what-ok

Any thoughts that the NX they will use BT to "connect" controllers? I mean when on the go you won't need the added function since you will need to hold the device, but when docked maybe BT controllers will sync up this time. If the NX screen is needed for certain games and touchscreen input is required then a docking solution that works for that needs to be considered.
Scratching head

I haven't listened to the NVC, but based on my understanding of the replies ITT it appears some feel that is what NBC indicted and others believe they only meant Wiimote-style IR functionality for gameplay, so I am guessing it is ambiguous in the NVC.

Edit: I'm just speculating and potentially misunderstanding based on replies. So listen to ggx2ac below instead of me, please. :)

Circle pad pro. I mentioned it in later posts. They talk about it 21 minutes in but they are also not aware of the IR patent from the sounds of it or how optical/wireless technology works in general.

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I just looked in to the Circle Pad Pro attachment (I don't have one, myself, although I've thought about it just for the added grip room). It apparently purports 480 hours of use off 1 AAA battery?!! That's pretty damn nice. So whether they go this route or the "window" route like in that recent patent, I'd be satisfied.

So when they say "not the main way to control," I'm assuming they mean at home, right? Obviously, in portable mode, the detachable controls would be the main control method, whether attached or detached for 2 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom