• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

orioto

Good Art™
At this point, I'm sick of hearing rumors relating to the hardware side. I want to hear more about the software...which is the whole point. ��

Nintendo is responsible for that. They've tried to define all their devices by its hardware since the Wii and the DS, with the need of an innovation.

When i was 12 in 93 and we were hearing rumors about next Nintendo's console, it was certainly not about any sort of innovation in hardware. it was all about "there will be a crazy mario with 300 levels OMG!!"

It shifted.
Nintendo sold everyone the idea that a console generation was legitimized by hardware innovations, making the software a second thought. It's always "omg the concept is so incredible !!! (and don't worry you'll have your faforite ips on it as usual)"

That's what they created. That's why we're seeing 500 threads about what is the NX but none about what will be the next Mario or Metroid and how they would change the world of gaming forever. We're not expecting that actually..

Zelda BotW is a step in the right direction, putting the ambition and change back into the game development, or Splatoon etc.. After all they are not communicating about hardware of the NX. Leaks are.. But it happens cause they created that philosophy.

AdanVC

Yea Peer is a person I def trust, he's been in the industry for a very long time

cant wait for the reveal

Yeah I trust Peer waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay x1000 times more than Emily Rodgers and any other person throwing rumors and stuff so this is exciting. Just reveal it already, Nintendo. JUST. DO IT!!!

Steejee

Yea Peer is a person I def trust, he's been in the industry for a very long time

cant wait for the reveal

It's weird for me to see him discussing these rumors - he was already high up at IGN when I worked there way back in 2004. Nice guy, and I have no doubts about his honesty about what info he has.

Thraktor

If I'm understanding this correctly, it would seem the most likely scenario is the following:

- The NX comes with two detachable controllers, which have batteries, electronics, and all the usual controller gubbins inside, and can either be used physically attached to the device for traditional controls, or detached and used like a Wiimote+Nunchuck setup (over Bluetooth).

- The NX also supports controller attachments which operate as per this patent. These can be used instead of the main controllers above, and are non-electronic devices, which the NX reads button presses from via an IR sensor strip on each side of the NX. Being simple plastic shells, and not requiring any electronic components, these could easily be bundled in with games at extremely low cost to provide customised controls specific to the game.

So long as most/all games can be used with standard controls (to accommodate digital purchases), it's a potentially pretty interesting scenario. It would be fascinating to see what game developers would come up with if they get to design a custom controller along with their game.

As mentioned by a few people previously, though, it would require a controller "frame" to attach these passive controllers to if you want to use them while the system is docked.

VariantX

Nintendo is responsible for that. They've tried to define all their devices by its hardware since the Wii and the DS, with the need of an innovation.

When i was 12 in 93 and we were hearing rumors about next Nintendo's console, it was certainly not about any sort of innovation in hardware. it was all about "there will be a crazy mario with 300 levels OMG!!"

It shifted.
Nintendo sold everyone the idea that a console generation was legitimized by hardware innovations, making the software a second thought. It's always "omg the concept is so incredible !!! (and don't worry you'll have your faforite ips on it as usual)"

That's what they created. That's why we're seeing 500 threads about what is the NX but none about what will be the next Mario or Metroid and how they would change the world of gaming forever. We're not expecting that actually..

Zelda BotW is a step in the right direction, putting the ambition and change back into the game development, or Splatoon etc.. After all they are not communicating about hardware of the NX. Leaks are.. But it happens cause they created that philosophy.

Shit I hope so. We largely didn't give too much of a fuck about the hardware back then, only what the games did.

720p... Please no. Not unless its retailing at <= 200 us

That's higher resolution than the Wii U gamepad screen, and probably a smaller display. So, much higher PPI than something that already looked pretty good.

It's more than enough for a handheld.

Hoping it'll display at 1080p when docked, of course.

orioto

Good Art™
If I'm understanding this correctly, it would seem the most likely scenario is the following:

- The NX comes with two detachable controllers, which have batteries, electronics, and all the usual controller gubbins inside, and can either be used physically attached to the device for traditional controls, or detached and used like a Wiimote+Nunchuck setup (over Bluetooth).

- The NX also supports controller attachments which operate as per this patent. These can be used instead of the main controllers above, and are non-electronic devices, which the NX reads button presses from via an IR sensor strip on each side of the NX. Being simple plastic shells, and not requiring any electronic components, these could easily be bundled in with games at extremely low cost to provide customised controls specific to the game.

So long as most/all games can be used with standard controls (to accommodate digital purchases), it's a potentially pretty interesting scenario. It would be fascinating to see what game developers would come up with if they get to design a custom controller along with their game.

As mentioned by a few people previously, though, it would require a controller "frame" to attach these passive controllers to if you want to use them while the system is docked.

Hmmm really any kind of "transformer" concept around NX is bound to be a huge failure in my opinion. Something that can be many things, with many pieces of hardware... It's just NOT something of our time..

MuchoMalo

Banned

It's a game system, not a phone. If PS4 struggles with 1080p at times, why are you expecting a handheld with a quarter of the performance to be a 1080p machine? I feel like many of you don't stop and think about "why" and instead just complain when a number is too low for your tastes. Think thinking is why we're stuck with laptops that have GTX 1060s in them, but the only way to get a touch screen is to get it with a 3k or UHD screen. It's really irritating at this point.

Phones have high-res screens because you're mostly using them to browse the internet or watch videos, so a high PPI looks nicer. However, even that has gotten to silly penis-measuring BS with this unnecessary 4k screen crap, and people complain when a flagship doesn't meet that standard. Then you people wonder why battery life doesn't improve at a fast enough pace.

This sounds pretty interesting. Hope it pans out.

ggx2ac

Capcom, I can smell it. They influence a lot of Nintendo decisions due to Monster Hunter.

The Classic Controller Pro for Wii was made for Monster Hunter Tri.

The Circle Pad Pro was made for the Monster Hunter 3DS games.

So if the shell controllers are true, I expect shells designed by Capcom for Monster Hunter for NX.

bachikarn

I suppose the detachable controllers also let you optimize your experience whether you are playing on the go or at home. You can have a controller with circle pads on the go, but ones with analogue sticks while at home.

gafneo

Banned

Or the NX comes with just a charging cable, usb, hdmi cord, and mini adapter.
Option 2 would be, bundle with IR gamepad, case and clip, charging dock stand, and basic plug essentials.

The special new way to play could still be a general touch and swipe, but now with enhances of bio-metric detection and precise multi-touch. Think how useful a multitouch screen would be if you could use anything as a stylus. You could wear gloves, instantly scan a note, or wave at it to draw straight lines. Why innovate gamepads when the gamer likes them traditional? The casual wants the accessibility.

Thraktor

Hmmm really any kind of "transformer" concept around NX is bound to be a huge failure in my opinion. Something that can be many things, with many pieces of hardware... It's just NOT something of our time..

It really depends on how Nintendo positions it. I imagine they wouldn't emphasise the optional controllers, similar to the way they didn't emphasise the Wii Classic Controller or the Circle Pad Pro, just optional accessories which are there for players who wish to use them.

Capcom, I can smell it. They influence a lot of Nintendo decisions due to Monster Hunter.

So if the shell controllers are true, I expect shells designed by Capcom for Monster Hunter for NX.

Yeah, Capcom and Level 5 are two third parties I could definitely see latching onto this idea.

orioto

Good Art™
TIL 3D wasn't a big hardware innovation.

Rumors didn't mention 3D at all before we heard about Silicon Graphics, and even then, people thought we would basically have Donkey Kong Country with incredible 2D graphics. Hell people thought DKC was next gen when they saw it at first.

And i would classify Mario 64 as a software innovation anyway. The hardware was designed to achieve their vision, not the other way around.

Are you for real? Its a handheld not a smartphone. Games will look extremly good in 720p on a little screen. Anything higher than 720p would be pointless and a waste of resources.
Infact, even a 540p screen would be more than sufficient, I'm a bit surprised Nintendo didn't went with a 540p screen instead, but this certainly shows Nintendo truly wants to build a state of the art handheld this time.

Your post doesn't make sense. Devs can make 1080p games on any HD console, but they would have to tone down framerate or graphical effects. It all depends on the game they are making, and what they want consumers to experience.

This 1080p thing really applies to multiplatforms when comparing to the ps4 when 3rd party devs try to push graphical effects and frame rates more often than 1st party devs.

It makes perfect sense.

I'm saying there's no point NX having a 1080p screen when most of the games will be in 720p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL9Lmd-ndjA&t=14m15s

Probably reading way too much into this but after criticizing the MCV report for being too safe and therefore being a "crappy rumor" (i.e. "Of course Sega is going to make games for NX!"), Peer says this:

"I would love it if the rumor was that, guess what? 2k or Square Enix or Capcom is making an NX launch window game!"

The MCV report mentions S-E. Capcom would probably fall into the same basket with Sega. So Peer's choice of throwing 2K in there is odd.

Carnival games at launch for the NX

Davey Cakes

For playing full console experiences on the go (like Breath of the Wild), it'll be utterly fantastic. Hell, the battery life is still in question even at 720p.

The thing is not going to be more than $250 and that's if it has some pricey novel tech.

Uh, what the fuck are you talking about

The Super Famicom was a straight up hardware reveal. The N64 and Project Reality stuff were straight up hardware propaganda for YEARS.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

It shifted.

this so true! For a company that believes that software is king they don't show a lot of faith in their games lately . They don't seem to think that games alone is enough to make their hardware successful. It's sad because it would make things so much easier for them and 3rd parties.

Meesh

You... toying with my heart... I'd do anything for MH on a console, if Capcom has been making suggestions dear lord baby Jesus I hope Nintendo makes good on that...

Haven't been on the NX rumor band wagon in awhile... buy this stuff sounds like a good sumation of everything I think we want...hope it's true!?

The only pre-Tropical Freeze reveal about him talking about Retro's new game transcript I find says he heard rumors of something new.
I stand corrected, thought he said "sources".
He also said Nintendo is "absolutely going to show new hardware" at E3 2014 as he heard it from multiple people including one that worked at Nintendo.
All this in the first post seems reasonable but I'd caution people thinking he is accurate just because he's a head honcho at a big gaming site.
That's all.

Malus

Hmm, circle pads outta the box and optional attachable controllers with analogue sticks. That sounds right. It'd be good to bundle the analogue stick attachments with the console if they're cheap to produce.

Thraktor

I stand corrected, thought he said "sources".
He also said Nintendo is "absolutely going to show new hardware" at E3 2014 as he heard it from multiple people including one that worked at Nintendo.
All this in the first post seems reasonable but I'd caution people thinking he is accurate just because he's a head honcho at a big gaming site.
That's all.

To be fair the n3DS was announced only a couple of months later, so it's entirely possible that it was initially planned to be announced at E3.

orioto

Good Art™
Hmm, circle pads outta the box and optional attachable controllers with analogue sticks. That sounds right. It'd be good to bundle the analogue stick attachments with the console if they're cheap to produce.

That sounds right ?? really ?? lol...

Malus

That sounds right ?? really ?? lol...

What? Circle pads make sense for a portable and sticks make sense for a home console, so this satisfies both. I remember a lot of people were disappointed at the idea of this having just circle pads as a result of it being a portable.

Nintendo going for 720p while Sony and MS are aiming for checkbord/Naitve 4k with HDR. The difference in quality for marketing material will be huge.
The screen on the unit wouldn't dictate what's possible with a TV out. We've heard the NX put in a range somewhere between Wii U and Xbox One, but it'd have to be far far below that for 720p to be a max.
For all we know, this thing could be designed to be used and played exactly like a smartphone, without any button or pad, but you could attach them if you want.

It's the most sensible thing according to what we know and at this point I'm 99% sure this is it. It may even optionally use SIM cards and be designed for parents to be their kid's first smartphone.
If I were such a parent wanting such a thing I'd just opt for some existing $100-or-less device with a zillion existing free games, or something that would easily add on to my existing phone plan.
Simbabbad said:
How so? It fits absolutely everything we know so far. Why make detachable controllers if you can't play games without them?
Because at home this thing is supposed to be connected to a TV out, docked to a power supply, maybe additional storage. At that point, it becomes a good thing to be able to use the controls when they're not attached.
Dark Cloud said:
Nobody knows what the dock does. It could be a SCD or a SCD could come later.
Not a reply specifically to you, but: what is SCD? I missed this somewhere along the way, and asking Google and Wikipedia for things it can stand for isn't helping.
gafneo said:
Yes, it will be the exact idea as wii u. Play Mario 3D Galaxy or whatever, use either wiimote, nun-knuck, pro, or gamepad. OS will have wii, 3ds, and wii u intergration.
That sort of thing was more important for multiplayer games. They didn't have multiple control schemes for the Zelda ports to Wii U--not even retaining the Wii controls for Twilight Princess.

Ogodei

Somebody needs to pull a "Hungry Hungry Homer" and go to Kyoto and pull a hunger strike until Nintendo reveals this thing.

There's a 7/11 right across the street (from Nintendo HQ) where you could chain yourself up.

I believe in team SCD, but I don't think it'll be anything too sophisticated, just to help get good-looking 1080p on the TV.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
That's speculation and can be used in a lot of 'insider cases'.

Peer is a knowledgeable credible guy with years in the industry. A rumor is still a rumor, and speculation is still speculation - but the NX threads have been living off twitter rumor mongers for the past year. I definitely feel we are in a more grounded rumor discussion for once.

this so true! For a company that believes that software is king they don't show a lot of faith in their games lately . They don't seem to think that games alone is enough to make their hardware successful. It's sad because it would make things so much easier for them and 3rd parties.

They centered an entire E3 around one game, so I can't agree with that.

gafneo

Banned
What? Circle pads make sense for a portable and sticks make sense for a home console, so this satisfies both. I remember a lot of people were disappointed at the idea of this having just circle pads as a result of it being a portable.

The home console gamer seems to dislike circlepad, while mobile gamer loves it, phone gamers hate controllers in general. I think it comes down to is customization. No sticks and buttons built in, just attachments. You want circle pads, buy a circle attachment. You want sticks and buttons, buy a pro attachment. You want a mouse and keyboard, buy a usb mini dongle.

Thraktor

That's speculation and can be used in a lot of 'insider cases'.

I'm not saying that he was right in that case, or we should necessarily assume that he's right in this case. What I am saying, though, is that it is entirely possible that when he made that statement it was based on information from a reliable source, and as such it's not a very valuable example of his unreliability.

There won't be an NX thread with an actual point until the console is actually revealed... and that's okay.

At this point I'm thinking it will be some time after Paper Mario's release on October 7th. Then there won't be any more Wii U exclusive titles to sabotage the sales of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom