• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's Peer Schneider: "the NX is a complete reboot for Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epcott

NX to be named Nintendo Entertainment Station (NES).

When they say cheap controllers, I wonder how cheap these controllers are they speculate about.

IGN's NVC talks NX rumors. Peer says a dev told him the NX is a "complete reboot for Nintendo"

-Detachable controllers are low budget. Very cheap (like the Wii nunchuck). Peer has heard they're using IR and it's not your main way of controlling the game (a "travel controller"). Speculates they could make cheap controllers that attach to the system.

It can't be to different, because 3rd party games should work also on other consoles.
So i wonder how they will create the new experience.
Surprising that 3 pages in the thread no one has commented about the biggest revelation in this round of rumors.

The highlighted is so trascendental that it needs to be clarified by the IGN people. Is that quote exactly what they said on the podcast or are you paraphrasing Petrec?

Because that implies lots and lots of things about this device. Infact so much that it puts a new spin on everything we taught we knew about the system.

orioto

Good Art™
Surprising that 3 pages in the thread no one has commented about the biggest revelation in this round of rumors.

The highlighted is so trascendental that it needs to be clarified by the IGN people. Is that quote exactly what they said on the podcast or are you paraphrasing Petrec?

Because that implies lots and lots of things.

At that point my brain can't put all the leaks in relation to imagine any sort of coherent device anymore..

ggx2ac

Because that implies lots and lots of things about this device. Infact so much that it puts a new spin on everything we taught we knew about the system.

I must have been talking to a brick wall this whole time when the majority of my posts were about IR and the IR patent and how IGN said 21 minutes into the podcast that the IR they refer to is similar to the Circle Pad Pro.

Nah, I'm sure I was talking to a brick wall which is why no one has noticed anything.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
"Detachable controllers are low budget. Very cheap (like the Wii nunchuck). Peer has heard they're using IR and it's not your main way of controlling the game (a "travel controller"). Speculates they could make cheap controllers that attach to the system."

This is the only really interesting bit imo, i wonder what does "controlles aren't the main way to control games" mean, maybe touchscreen is the main way?

Hermii

"Detachable controllers are low budget. Very cheap (like the Wii nunchuck). Peer has heard they're using IR and it's not your main way of controlling the game (a "travel controller"). Speculates they could make cheap controllers that attach to the system."

This is the only really interesting bit imo, i wonder what does "controlles aren't the main way to control games" mean, maybe touchscreen is the main way?

No no no. If that was true, they could might as well just make games for iOS and android.

My personal takeaway is that the "detachable controllers" are a budget option, and that there will also be a more traditional wireless controller option for on-tv play that has all the input functionality of the main NX unit at a more traditional controller price point, and that the detachable controllers are just a budget way to try and achieve simple local multiplayer or tv play out of the box without requiring the purchase of additional controllers.

However, it's kind of hard to feel like there's ANY way to read into that statement correctly. I don't feel like they LITERALLY mean that the controller inputs aren't the main input method on the unit, so in my personal reading that must mean that there are more options, and the simplest reading of that to me is the traditional "pro controller" is planned to be the main controller at home for most people.

Admittedly, I'm also jumping to this because it also solves one of my biggest questions, which is "how do I plug the NX on a dock and play Breath of the Wild on a TV, when Breath of the Wild requires the full traditional inputs of the NX?" So either there are pro controllers, or the detachable controller pieces also come with the "core" unit that others have mocked up... or perhaps both, where the detached controller units are an option, but the pro controllers will likely make up the bulk of most households' controllers (three pro controllers and the built in controller).

I must have been talking to a brick wall this whole time when the majority of my posts were about IR and the IR patent and how IGN said 21 minutes into the podcast that the IR they refer to is similar to the Circle Pad Pro.

Nah, I'm sure I was talking to a brick wall which is why no one has noticed anything.
The IR Sensor patent was the most likely among the public ones to happen, i' ve mentioned several times in the past since there are too many incentives to adopt it, monetary ones specially. Besides everything you mentioned here so far, regarding the implementation of IRS, has been covered in the patent thread already.

So no... it's not the confirmation of the IR patent. The big thing here is that they are telling us: " Detachables are not the main way to controll the games." i thought that was pretty clear in the post you responded to.

This means there's a main way to control this device and it is implemented in the device itself, that has huge implications on everything (Size, design, functionality). Basically much of what was expected from the device, up to the 100's of mock ups would have to be rethinked if this information holds true.

Who is the driving force behind NX now that Iwata is gone? I doubt Kimishima is the type of CEO that is very hands on.

Who is the Mark Cerny of NX?

Who is the driving force behind NX now that Iwata is gone? I doubt Kimishima is the type of CEO that is very hands on.

Who is the Mark Cerny of NX?

Likely Genyo Takeda, who has been a driving force behind various parts of Nintendo's hardware back to the NES days. I'm sure it could technically be someone under him, but he's the guy in charge of the hardware division, basically.

MDave

The problem I see with it having IR to interface to the main device is if the controllers are going to have Bluetooth anyway to connect to the main unit when detached, used in a Wii Remote like fashion isn't the IR redundant? More chips and tech to include in each controller part, also making the main unit more complex with IR of its own?

All for the sake of saving some battery life over Bluetooth? Little pogo pins similar to the iPad Pro would make far more sense in that case, and far cheaper. Could even charge up the controllers when attached to the main unit!

Or we are going to see 3 mini USB cables connected to this thing to charge it and the controller parts?

If the IR doubles as something else too then that's understandable and makes sense to me.

If the detachable controllers are cheap I hope they offer all the functionality of a more premium controller that may be available for the system. Wouldn't be good to take the NX on the road somewhere and have a portion of your library unplayable with the detachable controllers because they're missing things to make them cheap.

ggx2ac

So no... it's not the confirmation of the IR patent. The big thing here is that they are telling us: " Detachables are not the main way to controll the games." i thought that was pretty clear in the post you responded to.

I did talk about that...

The controllers may not have batteries which means you'd have to use a module with a battery and Bluetooth to attach the detachable controllers to to use it at home on the TV.

I also suggested that the Wii Remote from the rumours may be a separate controller since the detachable controllers are assumed to be using IR and no Bluetooth or batteries within them if they are supposed to be cheap.

As I said before for anyone reading the OP, go listen to the podcast at the 21st minute since things are being misinterpreted.

maxcriden

I calling the reveal to be this Tuesday. Or at least the announcement of the reveal date.

The latter seems most likely if anything given the Emily Rogers rumor about a reveal in October.

Well, we have some guys on Twitter claiming next week is the week. (They're not insiders, I'm just saying every week someone claims the NX will get revealed.)

Still, apparently every week was the week NX could be revealed. lol

Who's these guys? That HTML5 engine dev and who else? Think I missed anything new. But, thought the HTML5 guy was saying announcement of reveal date next week and actual reveal early October so maybe you're referring to something else.

Genio88

If early October will be the reveal date don't you think we might finally hear Nintendo announce that reveal event next week? They should start send invite to press and warn the fans about two week before right? Unless we still really believe they'll reveal NX on a "standard" Direct

If early October will be the reveal date don't you think we might finally hear Nintendo announce that reveal event next week? They should start send invite to press and warn the fans about two week before right? Unless we still really believe they'll reveal NX on a "standard" Direct

Its a definate maybe.

Likely Genyo Takeda, who has been a driving force behind various parts of Nintendo's hardware back to the NES days. I'm sure it could technically be someone under him, but he's the guy in charge of the hardware division, basically.

Lets hope he learned from wiiu 😐

maxcriden

Sigh... I'll have to edit again to make it clear.

It's just nobodies and Nintendo fanboys claiming every week the NX will get revealed, every week.

Sorry, hadn't seen your next post after it when I replied, I should have done so before replying. You were perfectly clear, it was my fault. :)

For sure, though (a) in the past they seem to have given 3 weeks notice to the press for similar events and (b) it's possible the press was invited days or weeks ago and hss been under NDA from discussing or revealing it.

I also suggested that the Wii Remote from the rumours may be a separate controller since the detachable controllers are assumed to be using IR and no Bluetooth or batteries within them if they are supposed to be cheap.

This is probably the one area where someone is likely to be "wrong", if you ask me, because as you pointed out the IR functionality would seem to clash with the idea that they are also motion controllers.

So now this either requires separate "Wiimote" style motion controllers, or now there has to be some kind of twist to the "core unit" concept that just adds battery life and motion functionality or something.

And while either is possible, I think it will definitely muddle the messaging if NX launches with too many control options. One of the most confounding things about trying to explain the Wii U to customers was that they had no idea what controllers to buy or use, because you had the Gamepad, Pro controllers, Wiimotes, Wiimotes with Nunchucks, and eventually the Gamecube controllers. Nintendo really needs to stick to a single control layout, regardless of what inputs that layout uses.

maxcriden

The IR Sensor patent was the most likely among the public ones to happen, i' ve mentioned several times in the past since there are too many incentives to adopt it, monetary ones specially. Besides everything you mentioned here so far, regarding the implementation of IRS, has been covered in the patent thread already.

This means there's a main way to control this device and it is implemented in the device itself, that has huge implications on everything (Size, design, functionality). Basically much of what was expected from the device, up to the 100's of mock ups would have to be rethinked if this information holds true.

Derek's post just a couple posts above yours is my take on the comment also, though certainly there are blanks missing here and a lot of it is down to how you choose to interpret them.

So if Derek's speculation is correct, I don't think mock-ups would be fundamentally altered, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Simbabbad

Maybe he's talking about the touchscreen.

Frankly, someone in a thread said the NX was going to be a phone and I said it wasn't possible, but I'm starting to wonder. For all we know, this thing could be designed to be used and played exactly like a smartphone, without any button or pad, but you could attach them if you want.

It's the most sensible thing according to what we know and at this point I'm 99% sure this is it. It may even optionally use SIM cards and be designed for parents to be their kid's first smartphone.

My personal takeaway is that the "detachable controllers" are a budget option, and that there will also be a more traditional wireless controller option for on-tv play that has all the imput functionality of the main NX unit at a more traditional controller price point, and that the detachable controllers are just a budget way to try and achieve simple local multiplayer or tv play out of the box without requiring the purchase of additional controllers.

However, it's kind of hard to feel like there's ANY way to read into that statement correctly. I don't feel like they LITERALLY mean that the controller inputs aren't the main input method on the unit, so in my personal reading that must mean that there are more options, and the simplest reading of that to me is the traditional "pro controller" is planned to be the main controller at home for most people.
This is a very thoughtful take on what they actually meant, and you can be totally right.

Is kind of a shame that is too much to ask from people delivering this type of information not to be so ambivalent. They should' ve just said there are "other controller options besides detachables".

Admittedly, I'm also jumping to this because it also solves one of my biggest questions, which is "how do I plug the NX on a dock and play Breath of the Wild on a TV, when Breath of the Wild requires the full traditional inputs of the NX?" So either there are pro controllers, or the detachable controller pieces also come with the "core" unit that others have mocked up... or perhaps both, where the detached controller units are an option, but the pro controllers will likely make up the bulk of most households' controllers (three pro controllers and the built in controller).

That wouldn't be much of a problen if the NX had 2 detachable Wii like controllers as long as they would have 2 Analog Sticks equivalents and Dpad/4 face buttons like in many of the mock ups. In this case, it would be possible to map the BotW Wii U control scheme easily considering these could be motion controllers. i' ve go as far as say you can totally map that scheme even without the use of motion to complement some inputs.

I did talk about that...

The controllers may not have batteries which means you'd have to use a module with a battery and Bluetooth to attach the detachable controllers to to use it at home on the TV.

As I said before for anyone reading the OP, go listen to the podcast at the 21st minute since things are being misinterpreted.
i was clear in my post, i did read every single post up to that point and none of them adressed what i was saying.

The things you alluded to have been discussed in the past. Just look at this for example:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=212169408

kaZldH5r.jpg

Anyway, i manage to found the podcast on youtube because i couldn't access the link in the thread.

The IGN guys were been too mezzy with this specific information and not knowing exactly what they were talking about in th case of IRS. Basically they talked about using IR as in the patent and as in the Wii Remote, without making distinction.

So nothing new to see here, i guess. Although you (in general) have a new NX thread to get closed by talking about "The Reveal" over and over again.

I'm not gonna read too much into that statement myself, it's too vague to get anything really meaningful out of it.

Maybe he's talking about the touchscreen.

Frankly, someone in a thread said the NX was going to be a phone and I said it wasn't possible, but I'm starting to wonder. For all we know, this thing could be designed to be used and played exactly like a smartphone, without any button or pad, but you could attach them if you want.

It's the most sensible thing according to what we know and at this point I'm 99% sure this is it. It may even optionally use SIM cards and be designed for parents to be their kid's first smartphone.

Not happening.

There are still numerous technical and market-based things that get in the way of such a possibility - the smartphone market is already flooded with competitors as it is, and the notion of making an inexpensive phone that is also able to play current-generation games is also highly questionable.

Sigh... I'll have to edit again to make it clear.

It's just nobodies and Nintendo fanboys claiming every week the NX will get revealed next week, every week.

So, not to stir this pot, but for what little it's worth the Nintendo rep's annual conference is the week of the 25th IIRC (just over a week away).

On a personal level, I would find it very difficult to believe that Nintendo would send the reps home at the end of that week without them knowing what NX is, since it would be the perfect opportunity to control and relay the messaging and expose their satellite employees to their new product on THEIR terms, rather than sending them home, revealing it later and miss the best opportunity for formal training on how to field questions and properly market the unit.

But the reps absolutely will not get to see the NX before the public, which means that Nintendo would need to make at least some form of public reveal either before or during the Rep's conference.

I see it as possible that Nintendo may make an initial announcement either at the end of this coming week or early during the week of the 25th, but I am not about to put any money down on that.

It's just that, without the NX, I have no idea why Nintendo would fly everybody out to Vegas for a week when usually that conference is only a couple of days in an upscale hotel, especially with so little product on the horizon for the reps to focus on during the conference.

This is a very thoughtful take on what they actually meant, and you can be totally right.

Is kind of a shame that is too much to ask from people delivering this type of information not to be so ambivalent. They should' ve just said there are "other controller options besides detachables".

I try REALLY hard to make it clear what my personal speculation is, and what my reasoning is. I feel like, even if my speculation is wrong, there may be a step in my logic that may inspire someone else, or someone else may correct a faulty link for me which will bring my own thinking closer to the truth.

I wouldn't say that it is impossible for there to be more input methods than we know, but I do think that the traditional controller inputs will likely be the core of the system's input, since we already know Breath of the Wild does not control significantly differently on NX than on Wii U (I am fairly certain I remember reading that, but might be mistaken).

Sorry, hadn't seen your next post after it when I replied, I should have done so before replying. You were perfectly clear, it was my fault. :)

For sure, though (a) in the past they seem to have given 3 weeks notice to the press for similar events and (b) it's possible the press was invited days or weeks ago and hss been under NDA from discussing or revealing it.

I think the reveal for NX is definitely first week of October. There was an insider who was saying September could be the reveal then all of a sudden within the past week or so they've said October seems more likely. I think press invites may have went out.

All I care about at this point is for Nintendo to just talk and tell us the exact reveal date this month. If we go by what they said and talk about it in fall, well then fall officially starts next week, which means the reveal announcement could come next week. The Nintendo rep at the GameStop Expo said NX news was coming very soon also. Nico said NX reveal was coming around September 20th also. He may have meant just the announcement for the reveal date.

I mean we have to get the announcement at least next week or the following week, which is the final week of September, right? Lol

XPE

NX to be named Nintendo Entertainment Station (NES).

When they say cheap controllers, I wonder how cheap these controllers are they speculate about.

I'm not opposed to this =D

Nice to seem them called memory cards and not cartridges!

thefro

Basically you're going to need another controller or to plug them into something else

The detachable controllers will be limited on their own... they're not like Wiimotes.

LoveCake

So it's going to have a cartridge slot for a memory card and another cartridge slot for game cartridges then?

There is no mention anywhere about it having a 3D screen like the 3DS then? it is one of the things that sold me on the 3DS.

If the NX is any bigger than a 1st gen Vita then it's going to be too big for a portable handheld imo, the original 3DS (which I still have and play every day) is the perfect size and max size for a handheld.

I have not read anything yet that has made me seriously consider getting a NX, I know all these are just rumors and speculation, but some of them must contain some truths or very close at least.

Simbabbad

Not happening.

There are still numerous technical and market-based things that get in the way of such a possibility - the smartphone market is already flooded with competitors as it is, and the notion of making an inexpensive phone that is also able to play current-generation games is also highly questionable.
How so? It fits absolutely everything we know so far. Why make detachable controllers if you can't play games without them? Answer: because most games will be playable without them, through the touchscreen. And why wouldn't the thing be able to handle a SIM card? Nintendo's main concern is kids started to play smartphone games and stopped using handheld consoles, being able to be used as a phone would be a MAJOR selling point to earn that demographics back, with little to no downside. Also, online connection wherever you are.

Dude sounds like he's reiterating all the rumors that's already been said. This ain't no ign exclusive
Well the reboot comment doesn't mean anything because Kimishima has said this many times already. We know the NX isn't a sequel to the Wii branding.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So it's going to have a cartridge slot for a memory card and another cartridge slot for game cartridges then?

There is no mention anywhere about it having a 3D screen like the 3DS then? it is one of the things that sold me on the 3DS.

If the NX is any bigger than a 1st gen Vita then it's going to be too big for a portable handheld imo, the original 3DS (which I still have and play every day) is the perfect size and max size for a handheld.

I have not read anything yet that has made me seriously consider getting a NX, I know all these are just rumors and speculation, but some of them must contain some truths or very close at least.
It's going to be bigger than a Vita no doubt. I don't think Nintendo are going for a pocket sized device. It's going to be more like a small tablet I think. Something to put in your bag, not your pocket.

Narroo

I'm just wondering when the official reveal will be. Really, all the major trade shows have passed. They need to do some real marketing in advance to sell units....surely they wouldn't pull another WiiU where they don't market the thing.

JimiNutz

Banned
At this stage the hardware rumours are very appealing for me. I've always enjoyed Nintendo handhelds and this actually sounds like a beast of a handheld compared to their past efforts.

At this stage there's only two things I need to hear more about.

Price (hoping for under £200)
Games

I'm not a huge fan of the big Nintendo staples (Mario, Karts, Smash, Zelda, Pokemon) so I hope we see some new ideas from Nintendo in terms of software.

I'm just wondering when the official reveal will be. Really, all the major trade shows have passed. They need to do some real marketing in advance to sell units....surely they wouldn't pull another WiiU where they don't market the thing.
Sounds like the plan was to avoid the trade shows and have all the time for themselves.

How so? It fits absolutely everything we know so far. Why make detachable controllers if you can't play games without them? Answer: because most games will be playable without them, through the touchscreen. And why wouldn't the thing be able to handle a SIM card? Nintendo's main concern is kids started to play smartphone games and stopped using handheld consoles, being able to be used as a phone would be a MAJOR selling point to earn that demographics back, with little to no downside. Also, online connection wherever you are.

You're overlooking the fact that technical realities ensure that Nintendo can only make 1) An affordable dedicated gaming device that can play current-gen console games or 2) a smartphone.

Nintendo cannot do both.

maxcriden

I mean we have to get the announcement at least next week or the following week, which is the final week of September, right? Lol

Well, if they talk about it in Fall, and prior to November as you and I and many of us believe, then I think it's a good bet but still just as possible they could give the public very little notice like a week or less, and that the announcement could be anywhere in much of October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom